• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Wessiej said:
Almost everyguy and girl in Holland are riding on that same bike, me too.

It is a awesome bike, everyday i cycle for about 1,5 hour, lovely.
Doesn't change the fact that it is a girl bike.

finally got the bike off of the trainer and put my road tires back on...going to start commuting to work it's a 40km (25 mile) round trip...trying to build up my base as last year I could barely finish 200km over two days on a charity ride. I am attempting my first Century in May - yikes!

Anyways..I'm also in the market for a commuter as I don't want to beat the snot out of my road bike. Probably will pick up a cyclocross bike of some type...or even build a surly crosscheck up..haven't quite decided...

silentgiant said:
finally got the bike off of the trainer and put my road tires back on...going to start commuting to work it's a 40km (25 mile) round trip...trying to build up my base as last year I could barely finish 200km over two days on a charity ride. I am attempting my first Century in May - yikes!

Anyways..I'm also in the market for a commuter as I don't want to beat the snot out of my road bike. Probably will pick up a cyclocross bike of some type...or even build a surly crosscheck up..haven't quite decided...
I recommend something heavy as a commuter when you get on your road bike you will fly!

Finally was able to take my bike out last week and it feels great. However, some spring maintenance is required. I have already degreased/cleaned/regreased the chain and adjusted the derailleur, but it is still not quite as smooth as I would like and clicks slightly when I pedal and when I coast. I haven't ever really done much bike repair on my own, but since I got a new road bike last summer (Specialized Allez if it matters) I figured it is time to learn. Any sites or sources of information on basic repair would be great or even a list of what generally goes into a tune up. Thanks!

Get'sMad

Sheldon Brown (RIP) is a great online resource on all things bike maintenance related.

Also, this book is great.

zinn-and-the-art-of-road-bike-maintenance.jpg

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
This thread inspired me to research more into different kinds of bikes and what they are good for and why. I think a hybrid actually isn't a nice fit for my planned purposes and style, so instead I will go for a Cannondale Touring 1.

Wessiej

I'm going to buy a new bike though, I have two bikes at the moment, one of them has a loose steeringwheel :lol, that got me almost killed today. And the other one, jeez I don't even want to talk about that one :D

JeanJule

Banned
Very true. I started looking into the whole fixie thing and am tempted to buy a flip-flop fixie bike this summer! Very cool as a second (or third) bike.

Dice

I just had a funny thought looking at Kona bikes. See usually I ride my bike to work and carry it down the stairs to store in the basement, but what if I got a Hei-Hei 2-9 and RODE IT down the stairs! :lol

Anyway, looking at their line, the scandium intrigues me, but the nearest Kona dealer is an hour away.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
The On One 29ers are nice. Just got myself an entry level specialized rockhopper 29er (hardtail) to see what I'm missing. If I love it I'll probably start looking at higher end frames and components.

I rode this bike for a month in the city. It was amazing. Hills, potholes, curbs...it felt like I was riding on clouds the entire time.

Out of my price range though, $1,500-$2,000 depending on how nice you want it

velorbis_victoria_victoriaside_l.jpg

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I apologize for yelling at Fixie guys for reccomending Fixies. Apparently they were not reccomending them. I applaud their choice and their freedom to ride a slightly impractical bike that I have a subjective aversion to.

Objectively a Fixie is a bad choice for any beginner or casual cyclist. Which is the point of the OP, and my point.

velorbis_victoria_victoriaside_l.jpg

Girl's bike. Designed for women with long skirts to ride. Makes no sense since women almost never wear skirts on bikes and reduces frame strength dramatically. They are easy to get on and off, but heavy and slow.

These frighten us Americans when we get to Europe and there are millions of them.

EuroGirlBikes.

Treo360

OuterWorldVoice said:
I apologize for yelling at Fixie guys for reccomending Fixies. Apparently they were not reccomending them. I applaud their choice and their freedom to ride a slightly impractical bike that I have a subjective aversion to.

Objectively a Fixie is a bad choice for any beginner or casual cyclist. Which is the point of the OP, and my point.

Why you Mother Fuc-:lol

Oh well, had to have that last barb in there didn't you?! :p

Stinkles

Teetris said:
Grandma bike represent

+1

Haters can suck it

Grandma Lady Bikes are also the bike of choice in Japan. Good things about them is that they're easy to mount and dismount, are sturdy and simple and so slow that crashes tend to be less spectacular.

In Japan, people ride them FULL TILT down the sidewalk, and WILL hit you. They then sort of stare, mutter apologetically but otherwise carry on as if this happens all the time. Which it does.

Gallbaro

Banned
OuterWorldVoice said:
Grandma Lady Bikes are also the bike of choice in Japan. Good things about them is that they're easy to mount and dismount, are sturdy and simple and so slow that crashes tend to be less spectacular.

In Japan, people ride them FULL TILT down the sidewalk, and WILL hit you. They then sort of stare, mutter apologetically but otherwise carry on as if this happens all the time. Which it does.

That kind of idiotic riding is why Sp0rsk got run over, well he did the dumbest thing which is ride the wrong way on the sidewalk.

That seems to be a cultural thing, even the Asians here in Arkansas seem adverse to riding on the road, at a college campus.

fiz

Neo Member
Just wanted to drop in and holler at you roadies. I'm a big time mountain biker, I hit the trails 4-5 days a week when there isn't 2 ft. of snow on them. Stick with biking for exercise/recreation, once you get in the habit it's an addiction!

Dice

Anyone have experience with the Cannondale BB30 models? Does it really make things easier? I don't see it being super important, but when I was looking at 29ers it seemed like that would be the perfect application for the technology.

OuterWorldVoice said:
Girl's bike. Designed for women with long skirts to ride.

Oh no, some hipster is going to laugh at me because Im riding on a girls bike that costs more than his apartment.

Why do you think everyone in europe rides these things? Because they're amazing. Toss the spandex, sit up straight, and ride your bike like a man, which means with utmost comfort and ease. Unless youre biking UP mount everest, you dont need to lean 90 degrees forward

Stinkles

jamesinclair said:
Oh no, some hipster is going to laugh at me because Im riding on a girls bike that costs more than his apartment.

Why do you think everyone in europe rides these things? Because they're amazing. Toss the spandex, sit up straight, and ride your bike like a man, which means with utmost comfort and ease. Unless youre biking UP mount everest, you dont need to lean 90 degrees forward

I was talking about the purpose of the dropped frame design. It's designed for ladies.

dgor39.jpg

And if you spent apartment sums of money on your ungainly ladybike, then I think you may have confused one of the meanings of hipster. I ride a mountain bike and a Trek Hybrid, both of which have nice, comfortable upright positions. So I totally agree with you. But both of which are more maneuverable than your cast iron Victorian femmecyclette.

And I don't wear spandex.

op1k6u.jpg

Man

9097p5.jpg

Lady

If you're trying to keep the cost down, see if you've a bike co-op around. Some of them selling solid, worked-over frankenstein bikes pretty cheaply.

Dice

Okay I am feeling crazy, like I might do this. I'm pretty set on the Cannondale Touring 1, but depending on how everything goes, I may end up getting a Gary Fisher Rumblefish I as an "Icebike" for next winter. Those two bikes should be a perfect combo for anything I ever want to do, and my cycling future will be set.

Stinkles

favouriteflavour said:
Do people hate single speed bikes with freewheel or just the "fixie"?

Me, just "Fixie"

I can't speak for people. Fixies have no advantages over other bikes. So if you dig them, you dig them because they're primitive, which is fine, I suppose. But they're often evangelized for really illogical reasons, and I have seen more Fixie accidents and fails than any other single kind of bike (Seattle, SF, all involving sudden stops).

I realize this dislike is illogical and I should live and let live.

esquire

Has waited diligently to think of something to say before making this post
silentgiant said:

Are you into cyclocross? Building a cyclocross bike is going to be my next project once I get some free time. I'd love to have something built and hit some trails in time to take advantage of the warmer weather.

OuterWorldVoice said:
Me, just "Fixie"

I can't speak for people. Fixies have no advantages over other bikes. So if you dig them, you dig them because they're primitive, which is fine, I suppose. But they're often evangelized for really illogical reasons, and I have seen more Fixie accidents and fails than any other single kind of bike (Seattle, SF, all involving sudden stops).

I realize this dislike is illogical and I should live and let live.

Your posts in this thread suck ("girl bikes?" "fixies?"). Please just stop. You sound like a cranky old man. Lighten up and let people enjoy their bikes.

Alx

OuterWorldVoice said:
I was talking about the purpose of the dropped frame design. It's designed for ladies.

You can find the same bike with a regular triangle-shaped frame... the one I own and love is like that, but the gain in weight is rather pointless for a city bike. And it "only" cost me 400€.
Anyway they are solid, beautiful, comfortable, secured (somebody tried to steal mine yesterday and only managed to lose his time)... I wouldn't use anything else for commuting. But for the week-ends I may buy one more suited for leisure...

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
esquire said:
Your posts in this thread suck ("girl bikes?" "fixies?"). Please just stop. You sound like a cranky old man. Lighten up and let people enjoy their bikes.

I concur. People have different needs out of their bikes, that's why there's so many different styles. Yes there's a current fashion for singlespeeds & fixies, but as long as people are riding and enjoying it, that's great!

Salazar

esquire said:

I steadfastly support this post. Both men and women can, and all over the world do, ride step-through bikes. Additionally, if you don't see at least something aesthetically satisfying in a Pashley or a Gazelle, then you're a dunce. Writing those bikes off as antiquated is plainly silly, embarrassingly silly.

esquire said:
Are you into cyclocross? Building a cyclocross bike is going to be my next project once I get some free time. I'd love to have something built and hit some trails in time to take advantage of the warmer weather.

I've actually never ridden a cyclo before, but I am sure I will be just as addicted to it as my roadie. But I am partial to the road style riding position and frame. I figure a cyclo would make a good commuter and something to bomb around some fire roads.

Get'sMad

Yeah guys can we not have this thread just be annoying pro/anti fixie arguments. Rather have it be a nice thread where we discuss and talk about how fucking sweet riding bicycles are.

oracrest

Logos said:
I work at a cycle shop so might be able to help ya :D
If you want to get into biking for the reasons you described i would HIGHLY recommend spending around $500 and getting a Giant rapid.It's perfect for what you want to to do and the quality is amazing,since giant is the biggest bike company they can afford to make such good bikes at low costs.You can also upgrade it as you go along if you get more into biking.
heres the link http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/bikes/model/rapid.3/3875/36257/
It a light bike and no customer yet has had anything but praise for it.
Happy biking :D
p.s-if you still want to spend less try to find a giant FCR 3 on ebay/craigslist- the fcr is what the rapid used to be called 1-2 years ago so you will get it cheaper.

I had a Giant, and was happy with it. My last two have been Jamis, and they are good as well. I have found that each new bike I get is lighter than the one before. My ride into work is closer to 11 miles, so anything helps.

Your selection of tires will add/subtract a lot of weight from your ride.

And go with a chain or U-lock. I switched from a cable lock after coming upon two bike thieves trying to cut through them in a fully dense, downtown area.

edit: nobody does it like Amsterdam :)

IMG_1877.jpg

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
oracrest said:
And go with a chain or U-lock. I switched from a cable lock after coming upon two bike thieves trying to cut through them in a fully dense, downtown area.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hsM88Wx8QQ

:-/

I've had my bikes nicked with both U/D locks and cable locks (even the 2-inch thick 'unbreakable' ones.) Battery powered bolt croppers can cut through anything in seconds. The best thing is to use multiple locks to make them think twice and go for the less protected bikes. Actually the best thing is not to leave your bike anywhere.

subrock

Jill Sandwich said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hsM88Wx8QQ

:-/

I've had my bikes nicked with both U/D locks and cable locks (even the 2-inch thick 'unbreakable' ones.) Battery powered bolt croppers can cut through anything in seconds. The best thing is to use multiple locks to make them think twice and go for the less protected bikes. Actually the best thing is not to leave your bike anywhere.
Every u-lock newer than say 5 years has a key type that won't fall prey to the pen trick. When that trick was discovered they changed them all over from the circular keys to a rectangular style.

WoodWERD

Any of you guys happen to be in Austin? I'm a total newb and looking to get back in to shape, so if any of you guys can point me in the right direction in terms of local sites/shops it'd be appreciated. I've found a few in my short time researching, but I'm sure I'm missing just as many.

oracrest

Mw182006 said:
Any of you guys happen to be in Austin? I'm a total newb and looking to get back in to shape, so if any of you guys can point me in the right direction in terms of local sites/shops it'd be appreciated. I've found a few in my short time researching, but I'm sure I'm missing just as many.

University Cyclery on Lamar.

modernkicks said:
Yeah guys can we not have this thread just be annoying pro/anti fixie arguments. Rather have it be a nice thread where we discuss and talk about how fucking sweet riding bicycles are.

seriously. Bike riding is awesome. I have four bikes. :lol

My new road bike

My (now) rain/commuter/beater bike. Was my main ride for close to three years.

My time trial bike-it now has white bar tape on it. Bars are nekkid in this pic.

and last but not least, my track bike. Which I only ride on the track. Notice no weird colors or chopped bars. But I have love for all people who bike. That's one less person who will run me over in their car. BTW I live in Los Angeles and yes it can be scary on the roads but you learn to deal with it.

Bikes are rad.

ChryZ

Bikes are awesome, but always wear a helmet. I got over 10 years of road and off-road under my belt, so I'd say I'm reasonable experienced. I saw it coming and wasn't able to do anything. Careless car driver fucked me over, bike destroyed beyond repair, smacked my head on the cars hood and the asphalt. Let me put it this way: Helmet FTW.

Here's my fixie. I picked it up in late Jan and I've been cycling to college pretty much everyday. Fuck the haters, fixie's are so much more fun to ride, and they just feel better than your average mountain bike with gears. The personalisation is a lot more practical as well, and you start to build up a connection between your bike and the road. Couldn't imagine switching back to a gears now...

1qn8k7.jpg

(I know my chain's a bit loose, I'm going to tighten it up soon, I just haven't got round to it.)

These bikes are far too nice. Here is my baby:

EasyRider.jpg

Age is approximately 20 years. She is my baby and gets me to and from school and work. Not having to use public transit, and instead working to get where I need to go is rewarding. In my city, one of the old railway tracks was taken up and the path converted to a multi-use trail. Many streets also have bike lanes. I approve of bike-age.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
practice02 said:
Doesn't change the fact that it is a girl bike.

not just any girl either, a GRANDMA.

Also, when you get a pretty girl wanting to sit on the back of your manly mans bike that only men bike around on, you'll understand why all the euros aren't too worried about riding a 'girls bike'

But I was like you when I moved to amsterdam, thought everyone was vaguely silly for riding old bikes that look weird. It took me a full 20 minutes of riding one before proclaiming dutch people clever.

Scythian Empire said:
The personalisation is a lot more practical as well, and you start to build up a connection between your bike and the road. Couldn't imagine switching back to a gears now...

For me personally I "build up a connection with the road" by climbing up a 5,000 foot mountain ad then bombing down it at 35mph. Can't really do that on a fixie. Leaning into a sweeping turn at 30+ mph is pretty fucking awesome.

Nice track bike tho :) Where are you? If you live by a velodrome you should take that thing out the the track. it's a lot of fun.

Top Bottom