• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT3| BroScience, Protein Dysentery, XXL Calf Implants, and Squat Rack Hogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashhong

Confession time: I haven't been to the gym since last Monday :( Missed my Wednesday and Friday workouts due to various things, and now I'm sick with the flu. Will probably miss today's workout. I gotta stop this shit before I let it go to too far and just get lazy and give up like I usually do!

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Confession time: I haven't been to the gym since last Monday :( Missed my Wednesday and Friday workouts due to various things, and now I'm sick with the flu. Will probably miss today's workout. I gotta stop this shit before I let it go to too far and just get lazy and give up like I usually do!

If you miss a Monday workout do you just not do that workout? Why couldn't you just move it to Tuesday or something?

Ashhong

If you miss a Monday workout do you just not do that workout? Why couldn't you just move it to Tuesday or something?

Depends on what my schedule is like. Stronglifts program says to just skip that workout if you miss it, and not workout Tues/Wed. When I missed last Wednesday I just thought, "hey, its just one day, I'll just go Friday". But then something came up last minute on Friday and I couldn't make that. And now I'm sick and it just feels so good to be lazy and not go to the gym!
lol.gif

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Depends on what my schedule is like. Stronglifts program says to just skip that workout if you miss it, and not workout Tues/Wed. When I missed last Wednesday I just thought, "hey, its just one day, I'll just go Friday". But then something came up last minute on Friday and I couldn't make that. And now I'm sick and it just feels so good to be lazy and not go to the gym!
lol.gif

Wait, wtf, why would SL say that?

edit: I guess it doesn't make sense to me because I have an abundance of free time to where I can shift all my workout days by a day if I miss one. Basically I could go to the gym every day of the week if I wanted to, so I don't even keep track of having a certain day of the week for each workout, I just make sure I have right amount of rest days in between each workout and if I add an extra rest day in there somewhere not a big deal at all.

If someone has a schedule that is much less free than mine it makes sense to just skip a workout if you miss it.

Petrie

Banned
Wait, wtf, why would SL say that?
Because it will screw up your entire schedule, and your rest periods in particular. Unless you are going to move everything permanently, youre better off skipping the workout.

Say youre working out Mon/Wed/Fri, you miss Monday, so you go Tuesday. Now you need to move Wed to Thurs, and Fri to Sat, except if you try to go on Mon again, you dont get 2 days of rest, which is an essential part of the program, so the only way it works is if you permanently move your schedule anytime you miss a day.

deadbeef

LOL, I don't think you know what a real hangover is, or something in your body is reallllly not functioning well and you should see a doctor.

I didn't mean a "real" hangover, but I have become extremely susceptible to alcohol's effects the morning after as I've gotten older.

lol.gif

1 week off isn't going to hurt, how long have you been doing SL?

JB1981

Guys, I'm really excited to share with you today's personal fitness milestone!

I've never been a runner (although I'd say I'm in great shape otherwise), but I decided to sign up for a grueling obstacle course race in the summer with a friend of mine just over a month ago.

Well, I've been doing some intense running, jogging, sprinting, and HIIT the past few weeks to build my lacking cardio and endurance, and today I decided to tackle a 10k with a couple friends (both who are runners). Not only did I keep up with them, I was pretty much completely fine by the end of it. Lungs were fine, legs were good--it was a great moment of revelation for me. All the hard work has paid off. From wanting to die after one mile to coasting six miles in a month. It wasn't a straight run either: we sprinted up hills, ran over obstacles, etc. The entire run took about 50-55 minutes, but we weren't going for time (I mostly just wanted to complete it).

It was the loop around Central Park, btw.

Awesome man. I'm looking to increase my cardio, want to start playing some basketball pick-up games too (NCAA tournament got me in the mood). Just hope the low back holds up!

Failed at 1RM, or reps?

If it was reps, don't beat yourself up.

Yeah, you're thinking it.. 1RM.. meow.. JK.

Managed to churn out 2 1/2 before i flopped.. ...just didn't have it.. probably by the Korean BBQ megafeast I had the night before.

Was more annoyed at the chick who looks like Tinkerbell, laughing her ass off while i was rolling off the bar.

I've posted around here now and again, and in the weight loss thread as well. Figured I'd start more actively posting in this thread to track progress, get/give advice, and vent over my Uni gym! I've posted about my story (270ish lbs to 170 @ 9%) a couple of times before.

I've been cutting since about mid Feb, dropped about 10 lbs (down from 192) to about 12% BF. Just had my big birthday weekend cheat and I'm about to head into my second phase of cutting to get under 10% again for the summer, hopefully at a higher weight, though I'm mostly cutting to redo a shitty bulk I had during the winter. Eventually aiming to bulk up again and do a bodybuilding comp sometime next year.

Carb cycling, HIIT, lifting as usual, nothing I haven't done before. Though I'm planning to put a lot more focus on building up endurance/stamina for running and whatnot as a fun side goal. Never been much of a runner, but would like to change that at some point.

Dosia

Managed to churn out 2 1/2 before i flopped.. ...just didn't have it.. probably by the Korean BBQ megafeast I had the night before.

Was more annoyed at the chick who looks like Tinkerbell, laughing her ass off while i was rolling off the bar.

Lol. That shit happens. Happened to me before, but I was lucky that no ladies were around.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I've posted around here now and again, and in the weight loss thread as well. Figured I'd start more actively posting in this thread to track progress, get/give advice, and vent over my Uni gym! I've posted about my story (270ish lbs to 170 @ 9%) a couple of times before.

I've been cutting since about mid Feb, dropped about 10 lbs (down from 192) to about 12% BF. Just had my big birthday weekend cheat and I'm about to head into my second phase of cutting to get under 10% again for the summer, hopefully at a higher weight, though I'm mostly cutting to redo a shitty bulk I had during the winter. Eventually aiming to bulk up again and do a bodybuilding comp sometime next year.

Carb cycling, HIIT, lifting as usual, nothing I haven't done before. Though I'm planning to put a lot more focus on building up endurance/stamina for running and whatnot as a fun side goal. Never been much of a runner, but would like to change that at some point.

Wait, so you're at 12% in the pic you posted in the Post Your Pic thread recently? I was thinking I wanted to go down to 10%, but if that's 12, then maybe 12 is fine.

entremet

I didn't mean a "real" hangover, but I have become extremely susceptible to alcohol's effects the morning after as I've gotten older.

For me, I think it is an effect of eating cleaner, which involves cutting a lot alcohol, other than cheat days. My tolerance is much lower these days because of it.

Sup guys. Great OP!

I've been working out for about 8 months now: First 5 months twice a week (meh) and the past 2-3 months I've been working out more seriously at least 4 times a week. I have lost some fat and gained some muscle, but I'm nowhear near where I thought I would be. I still have too much fat for my taste (I'm 1.76m tall and weigh 72 kg). I have to loose fat and gain muscle to make my muscles more visible (tone them, if you will).

This may sound cliché, but I want a visible sixpack and a good looking chest (I don't really have manboobs, but the fat around the nipples is very annoying and needs to be gone). That does involve cardio. I usually cardio after my workout session. I take a protein shake between my workout and cardio session. I do that becouse I'm afraid the cario will burn my muscles in stead of my fat. Does drinking whey protein between workout and cardio actually help? Do you guys have a better suggestion for me? I want to loose fat and keep/grow muscle at the same time.

I will start a dieting in April. I want to reach my goal by the end of June.

gdt

Sup guys. Great OP!

I've been working out for about 8 months now: First 5 months twice a week (meh) and the past 2-3 months I've been working out more seriously at least 4 times a week. I have lost some fat and gained some muscle, but I'm nowhear near where I thought I would be. I still have too much fat for my taste (I'm 1.76m tall and weigh 72 kg). I have to loose fat and gain muscle to make my muscles more visible (tone them, if you will).

This may sound cliché, but I want a visible sixpack and a good looking chest (I don't really have manboobs, but the fat around the nipples is very annoying and needs to be gone). That does involve cardio. I usually cardio after my workout session. I take a protein shake between my workout and cardio session. I do that becouse I'm afraid the cario will burn my muscles in stead of my fat. Does drinking whey protein between workout and cardio actually help? Do you guys have a better suggestion for me? I want to loose fat and keep/grow muscle at the same time.

I will start a dieting in April. I want to reach my goal by the end of June.

Wait, you've been working out without a planned diet?

BumRush

The only plan I had was to cut unnececary crap like chips, candy, McDonalds/KFC and eat more healthy.

I'd love to, but I can't.

I've heard so, so manier theories of working out, supplements and dieting that I've grown sick of it. Even the instructer in my gym all have different opinions.

As soon as you can, start dieting...don't cut meals at all, just replace bad ones with good ones. I reached out on this forum about a diet pill my buddy gave me but it's true you don't need diet pills at all. Just a proper diet and exercise. I replaced all processed carbs with whole grains, don't eat carbs after 3:00 or so, and I've cut down on fatty red meats plus alcohol. I go to the gym 5 times a week, lifting different groups all 5 days, plus doing 15 minutes of cardio both before and after i lift. Make sure to cut down on calories but don't cut out protein. I have my weight (lbs) in protein (grams) every day. I know its not much (and it's not crazy), but I hope it helps. If you have any questions, let me know.

I'm 5'9", 165 lbs...8% body fat by the way.

Mr.City

My bodyfat is in the 20's now on this GOMAD ish =(

Then stop doing GOMAD.

I'd love to, but I can't.

I've heard so, so manier theories of working out, supplements and dieting that I've grown sick of it. Even the instructer in my gym all have different opinions.

What? All you really need to about dieting is eating less cals will cause weight loss, eating more causes weight gain, keep your protein high.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/ This is a good site by a reputable guy. I've lost over 50 lbs with his advice.

Failed with 250lbs on the bar for bench and there was nobody around to help. Had to roll it off.

Two words: Fucking embarrassment.

A couple things wrong here. Why didn't you just let the weights slide off one side and then the other? Why didn't you bench in a rack? It may sound like a housewife's tale, but some people who roll the bar down their body have torn something inside, went home, and then ended up dead due to internal bleeding.

MjFrancis

Untitled-0-00-20-07.jpg

So, pistol squats - who here trains with them? More to the point, what sort of set/rep scheme do you abide to?

Initially last year I favored 1x20 for each leg with minimal rest in an effort to meet the advanced requirements of the twenty pistol squat challenge. I feel much better doing 2x10 for each leg now with slower reps and a focus on maintaining solid form. I feel fresher going to the my barbell training afterwards where I can ramp up the intensity there rather than focusing on weighted pistols (which make increasing intensity all the more difficult, given the element of balance still required in respect to most other leg movements) or the fatigue that comes with doing a set of twenty pistols on either leg.

As soon as you can, start dieting...don't cut meals at all, just replace bad ones with good ones. I reached out on this forum about a diet pill my buddy gave me but it's true you don't need diet pills at all. Just a proper diet and exercise. I replaced all processed carbs with whole grains, don't eat carbs after 3:00 or so, and I've cut down on fatty red meats plus alcohol. I go to the gym 5 times a week, lifting different groups all 5 days, plus doing 15 minutes of cardio both before and after i lift. Make sure to cut down on calories but don't cut out protein. I have my weight (lbs) in protein (grams) every day. I know its not much (and it's not crazy), but I hope it helps. If you have any questions, let me know.

I'm 5'9", 165 lbs...8% body fat by the way.

Thanks! That's what I was told and what I did. I didn't eat less, but ate healthier and along with that I started excersizing. I'm heading towards the gym in an hour or so and I'll calculate my bodyfat % while I'm at it.

BumRush

Thanks! That's what I was told and what I did. I didn't eat less, but ate healthier and along with that I started excersizing. I'm heading towards the gym in an hour or so and I'll calculate my bodyfat % while I'm at it.

That's an awesome place to start. Cheating is okay every once in a while as well...but try to make the McDonald's etc. runs very infrequent.

GOOD LUCK

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Holy shit, check this out.

fitocracy said:
* Barbell Squat:
o 135 lb x 5 reps 61.2 kg x 5 reps (+57 pts)
o 225 lb x 3 reps 102.1 kg x 3 reps (+85 pts)
o 245 lb x 1 reps 111.1 kg x 1 reps (+66 pts)
o 285 lb x 5 reps 129.3 kg x 5 reps (+158 pts)
o 325 lb x 3 reps 147.4 kg x 3 reps (+166 pts)
o 360 lb x 10 reps 163.3 kg x 10 reps (+309 pts)
o 190 lb x 10 reps 86.2 kg x 10 reps (+98 pts)

New new PR, and that puts my 1rm at 480. Fuck yeah!

JB1981

Doing pistol squats would make my knees explode.

I remember doing duck walks while holding onto a bar behind my back years ago. Bad idea.

Yes they do seem very hard on the knees, even single-legged squats. I tried to incorporate them into my routine but they are too hard on my low back, unfortunately.

MjFrancis

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Doing pistol squats would make my knees explode.

I remember doing duck walks while holding onto a bar behind my back years ago. Bad idea.
Pistols definitely aren't for everyone. Strength isn't even the main culprit that holds people back, since I believe anyone who can squat 225lbs has the strength necessary. It's ankle dorsiflexion, hip mobility, hamstring flexibility, the constitution of ligaments and tendons in the knee and balance that keep most people from a full pistol squat.

And what are duck walks?

---

Great numbers and congrats on the rep PR AlienShogun. Almost seventy working reps of the barbell squat in a single training session... on week three of 5/3/1. I have no words. I'm doing BBB with deadlifts right now (regular deadlifts for 5/3/1, sumo deadlifts for BBB) and of all the exercises to do BBB with squats are the one where I imagine my back folding like a lawn chair sometime during set five.

Mr.City

Nah, it's cheap and I'm broke.

Here's where things go wrong. "I need to keep eating, but don't know what to do or how to do it. Better keep milking it." Besides milk, there's chicken, ground beef (that's pretty damn cheap), rice, beans, pork shoulder, nuts, etc. If you're already in the 20% range with your body fat, then you've already done your fair share of milk. GOMAD is meant for putting on weight, which at your level, might want to reconsider.

Dosia

Getting my ON creatine in today. I told myself when I started lifting nine months ago I wouldnt do supplements. Now here I am taking multis, whey, casein, and creatine. I took the stuff back in highschool and it worked wonders. 26 now so Im hoping to get some good results.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Here's where things go wrong. "I need to keep eating, but don't know what to do or how to do it. Better keep milking it." Besides milk, there's chicken, ground beef (that's pretty damn cheap), rice, beans, pork shoulder, nuts, etc. If you're already in the 20% range with your body fat, then you've already done your fair share of milk. GOMAD is meant for putting on weight, which at your level, might want to reconsider.

I never said I don't know what to do or how to do it. None of that is nearly as cheap as my 2.99 grass fed whole milk gallons. I'm poor. As soon as you send me money I'll eat whatever you want me to, I promise.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
eggs are a cheap alternative.

I eat eggs and ground beef and chicken breast and no fat yogurt and oats and flax and nuts, but if I got most of my calories from that stuff I'd be spending a lot of money.

The nonfat yogurt I found is pretty sweet though. It's the cheapest yogurt in the store, has more protein than any of the greek yogurts, and contains probiotics. Tastes like ass but I don't even really eat for taste anymore.

Szu

Untitled-0-00-20-07.jpg

So, pistol squats - who here trains with them? More to the point, what sort of set/rep scheme do you abide to?

Initially last year I favored 1x20 for each leg with minimal rest in an effort to meet the advanced requirements of the twenty pistol squat challenge. I feel much better doing 2x10 for each leg now with slower reps and a focus on maintaining solid form. I feel fresher going to the my barbell training afterwards where I can ramp up the intensity there rather than focusing on weighted pistols (which make increasing intensity all the more difficult, given the element of balance still required in respect to most other leg movements) or the fatigue that comes with doing a set of twenty pistols on either leg.

I don't these on a regular basis, but I could do 3x12 on each leg with good clean form. I find out that I can naturally do them because of my leg flexibility.

I used to use them as a finishing workout for my legs after the main weight regime. However, I would only be able to do about 5-8 on each leg per set.

I never said I don't know what to do or how to do it. None of that is nearly as cheap as my 2.99 grass fed whole milk gallons. I'm poor. As soon as you send me money I'll eat whatever you want me to, I promise.

That's a really good price for grass-fed milk. I'm jealous.

Mr.City

I never said I don't know what to do or how to do it. None of that is nearly as cheap as my 2.99 grass fed whole milk gallons. I'm poor. As soon as you send me money I'll eat whatever you want me to, I promise.[/QUOTE]

Oh, so exploitable.

Well, I don't know the exact finances of your situation, but places like Costco offer some really nice deals on Man Meals. $20 for 10 lbs of chicken, $15 for about 6-6.5 lbs of lean ground beef, drums of yogurt, $8 for 3 lbs of almonds, etc.

The membership is $50, and a gold/executive membership is about $100, but it gives you 2% back on your savings. If you have a friend that you can split it with it, you can really save some money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom