• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this has been mentioned already but the eShop really needs an overhaul. Names of games aren't displayed on the header images and once theyre out of the rotation on the main page the only way to find a game is to search for it by name. I like the simplicity of the design but making it harder for people to browse the games available is not good.

Honestly, this is my biggest issue with all three consoles right now. Xbox and PSN are rather crap at helping you discover games as well.

ozhenson

This is just making me feel like a crazy person. Tried through there, I enter all my information, on the next page it says "verify the information you have entered" - so I enter my CC info again, and it brings me back to the same page. Am I cursed?

I know all of the info I am entering is valid, Ive tried creating other nintendo accounts to see if there was a problem with the original account, but I keep having the same result!

When you enter everything, what are you pressing? I think I had this issue. Turns out I was pressing the wrong button. I think you're supposed to press (+) ?

Yup, Ive done it both ways. As well as pressing the enter button on the touch screen, haha.

This is just making me feel like a crazy person. Tried through there, I enter all my information, on the next page it says "verify the information you have entered" - so I enter my CC info again, and it brings me back to the same page. Am I cursed?

I know all of the info I am entering is valid, Ive tried creating other nintendo accounts to see if there was a problem with the original account, but I keep having the same result!

Yup, Ive done it both ways. As well as pressing the enter button on the touch screen, haha.

And you're absolutely sure you've filled out all of the information?

ozhenson

And you're absolutely sure you've filled out all of the information?

100% Ive filled it out about 15 times now, haha. Starts by asking my home province for tax purposes. Then CC#, Exp date, CVV, and my postal code(all of which have forced formatting on the website and console, so there is no chance they werent entered properly).

I know this has been mentioned already but the eShop really needs an overhaul. Names of games aren't displayed on the header images and once theyre out of the rotation on the main page the only way to find a game is to search for it by name. I like the simplicity of the design but making it harder for people to browse the games available is not good.

Search > Filtered Search lists everything on the store, which can then be sorted by release date or price.
It's not very intuitive (seemingly as I've mentioned this loads of times haha) but yeah, you can get a list of every single game available in two clicks.

Random question that I am having trouble getting details on.

Both the Samsung Galaxy S8+ and the Nintendo Switch screen dimensions are both are listed at 6.2 inches. I know that is the diagnal measurement. Do they have the exact same height and width dimensions as well?

Have the S8+ in hand and just trying to get a feel of the size of the screen on the Switch. Local GameStop didn't have a unit on site.

Random question that I am having trouble getting details on.

Both the Samsung Galaxy S8+ and the Nintendo Switch screen dimensions are both are listed at 6.2 inches. I know that is the diagnal measurement. Do they have the exact same height and width dimensions as well?

Have the S8+ in hand and just trying to get a feel of the size of the screen on the Switch. Local GameStop didn't have a unit on site.

The S8+ isn't 16:9, so I doubt they're the same height and width measurements for the screen area.

SeanR1221

Installed my 200gb card. Super easy process (obviously).

So what happens now? Will downloaded games automatically go to the SD card? Fingers crossed the combined total of 232gb lasts a while.

Draper

Seriously, it's such a 'fuck you' to developers.

What the fuck, Nintendo

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Installed my 200gb card. Super easy process (obviously).

So what happens now? Will downloaded games automatically go to the SD card? Fingers crossed the combined total of 232gb lasts a while.

Yep.

New installs and screen shots automatically go there.

Currently no way to move stuff already on the internal memory over though.

ParityBit

So lets say I want to put money in my account for Mario Kart and random late night, laying in bed purchases.

What is the best way? On the system or web or what?

100% Ive filled it out about 15 times now, haha. Starts by asking my home province for tax purposes. Then CC#, Exp date, CVV, and my postal code(all of which have forced formatting on the website and console, so there is no chance they werent entered properly).

Think I had this too, the obvious button to confirm the info you entered submits the full page and considers your info incomplete.

Think you have to hit X to close that field then move on to the next.

zigg

So lets say I want to put money in my account for Mario Kart and random late night, laying in bed purchases.

On a linked 3DS

(I'm only partly joking; did that myself recently when I couldn't find a way to add an eShop card on the web)

SirShandy

Buy an eshop card. You can get digital eshop codes online. You can enter those on the switch eshop and the money will stay in your wallet.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
Nice.

Id imagine you could delete the app (keeping the save file) and redownload it to the SD card, right?

Yep, but keep in ming that internal storage is way faster than SD and carts.

So you'd prefer keeping games that stream a lot of data on internal storage.

I moved LEGO City Undercover from my Samsung EVO 128 GB microSD card to the internal storage, first load went from 56 sec to 32 sec !

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Nice.

Id imagine you could delete the app (keeping the save file) and redownload it to the SD card, right?

Yep. That would download a game to the sd card.

Save should be fine as I think those all stay in internal memory.

fernoca

At the web store. ( if you're in the US http://www.nintendo.com/games/ ).

You can buy games and will be linked to your account as long as you actually use said account for the purchases. :p

You can also redeem game codes.

There's currently no way to add money on the store, only on the hardware.

TheFuzz

I posted before but didn't see a response... with the Switch tablet off and at 100%, it was in my bag for 12 hours and I turned it back off to see it at 99%.

Now it's only a single percentage, but is it normal to lose some charge while the whole thing is off? One time is was at 97% I believe.

Just curious if it's a battery issue or normal. I've never completely discharged the battery if that matters (idk if it's supposed to be done to make the reading accurate).

Anyone able to help?

Tabasco

I've been buying physical games for my Switch but I am gaining an interest for digital simply for convenience.

Has anyone that went from physical to digital think it was worth it and hasn't looked back?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Man, the release dates for these games not being one set day a week is so weird to me. I'm used to Tuesday, but I look at this week's games and they're all on different days?

Iced

Well, this sucks. My replacement neon joycons I got from best buy is experiencing the desyncing issues :(

Just the left, or right as well? Neon reds I bought last week are missing the occasional button press on my right joy-con. Sending them back tomorrow and awaiting an order from Walmart to replace it.

I came home from work and plugged my Switch in to charge, originally was at 50-60% at 7pm, it is now 10 and it is only at 83% and not moving...

Anyone else have any issues like this? This is extremely slow it seems to only get to 83% in 3.25 hours.

I had no idea there were other games on the store hidden off the front-page. What can of nonsensical decision was made to do that.

The store layout seems cobbled together, so I assume it was more hurry than a real decision. If you search with nothing in the search box you'll get everything.

BizzyBum

I'm already spending wayyy too much money on the Switch. lol

If only it had Persona 5. I feel like I would play the game much more.

I'm already spending wayyy too much money on the Switch. lol

If only it had Persona 5. I feel like I would play the game much more.

I just bought Persona 5 but haven't started it yet. I would love P5 on the Switch. Hell, I'd take a port of P4G on Switch since I started, but didn't get very far.

jonno394

Shovel Knight has suddenly began to dominate my Switch gaming hours over the past week and a half. Finished the Shovel of hope campaign and nearly completed the Spectre Knight, which imo is almost as good as the main game! Dependant on how this finishes it might even be better!

SirShandy

So just go to Amazon, buy like 100 bucks and enter those on my Switch?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M1VX5UJ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Sorry for the late response. If you're still awaiting an answer:

Yes, that's pretty much how it works. They have eshop codes of lesser value as well if 100 bucks is more than what you're looking for.

After buying, go to the "Your Orders" page and click on the "Go To Your Games Library" button on the eshop card order and your code should be listed there.

On the Switch eshop there is a link on the left side that allows you to enter the code. I'm pretty sure you can enter the code in any nintendo eshop though and it will remain in a general wallet (for your region at least.)

Wait what does this mean?

I can download game to multiple switches but only one will work?
Not quite. If you get a new Switch and want to use your games there, you'll have to set the new one as the active console and thus deactivate the games on the earlier one.
Yea i dont think so either but i havent been able to find anything that lists the Switch screen specifics outside of the 6.2.
If you know the diagonal and the aspect ratio, the rest can be calculated, pretty easily with sites made specifically for that. 6.2" 16:9 like Switch is about 5.4x3 inches. Searching for the Galaxy S8's screen resolution it looks like it would be a 37:18 ratio, so it would come to about 5.6x2.7 inches.

jokkir

Just the left, or right as well? Neon reds I bought last week are missing the occasional button press on my right joy-con. Sending them back tomorrow and awaiting an order from Walmart to replace it.

Left. It would register the input then just stick to that input causing me to run into stuff. And I'm not even using it that far away from the console either. Just like a few feet away

Bit-Bit

I'm still playing Zelda daily and great news! I got my wife to start playing it too! She's primarily a Splatoon player but I wanted her to get used to playing with the Switch so we can play Splatoon 2 together when it comes out. (she'll be getting her own Switch)

The ability to play together on the TV and on the handheld in the same room together with my wife is just great. I freakin love the Switch.

ozhenson

Just an update, I looked at my credit card statement this morning, and threre was a $52.49 charge and credit on my card about 25 times(all the attempts I made). So, clearly all my info is entered correctly, the switch(and nintendo website) just isnt letting my complete the purchase in its entirety.

Has anybody else run into this? I am completely unsure how to proceed at this point.

So ... what are gold coins for and how do you know how many you have?

Right now, they're not really for anything if you only own a Switch. My Nintendo is the online portal that lets you check your points, track missions for more points, and redeem them. They haven't given us anything in terms of Switch rewards yet. Not sure when they will either.

I came home from work and plugged my Switch in to charge, originally was at 50-60% at 7pm, it is now 10 and it is only at 83% and not moving...

Anyone else have any issues like this? This is extremely slow it seems to only get to 83% in 3.25 hours.

That's not normal at all mate. Are you using the charger that came with the Switch? If so are you plugging it in directly or putting the Switch in the dock?

If you're using a third party charger, which one is it? It might not be the right voltage.

BizzyBum

Shovel Knight has suddenly began to dominate my Switch gaming hours over the past week and a half. Finished the Shovel of hope campaign and nearly completed the Spectre Knight, which imo is almost as good as the main game! Dependant on how this finishes it might even be better!

Yeah, Treasure Trove is fantastic. I'm on a retro kick myself, Beat TT, Wonderboy, and going through Blaster Master Zero currently.

BizzyBum

Wow 1 2 switch is trash

picked it up on a whim to play w/ others, and its so so bad.

Yeah, I tried it at a friend's house, I thought it was a real stinker. Absolutely insane that it's $50, should have been packaged in with the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom