• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2017/18 |OT| Relegated to Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really looking forward to the game tonight. Think we'll get through and if we score first then Hoffenheim will fold.

If we reach the group stage I'd love to draw all the best sides. Real/Munich/Juve, Barca/Atletico/PSG, Feynoord/Leipzig/CSKA. Any combo of those will do. (Maybe not Atletico actually) What's the point in getting into the CL if you don't want to play the best? A group of Spartak Moscow, Porto, and Maribor would be probably the easiest draw but the games would be shite. Plus we tend to play better against sides that come at us.

Or put all our best players on the bench...

B1ngF_nIQAAggOC.jpg

I remember Kolo being fucking dynamite in one of those games.

He was proooobably promised enough steel for an 100 times scale replica of his abs. Or something.

casiopao

Yeah I heard you say that during that other game, you know the one you won 3-0

We are facing one of the lower team lol. That result is literally a must.

Considering how our backline is shaky right now, and our midfield problem is still not solved+ Higuain still not on his best condition, i can see us not do really well in UCL at all this season.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I remember Kolo being fucking dynamite in one of those games.

It was the second one at the Bernabeu IIRC. Actually played pretty well in that game, all things considered. In the first game we were dismantled by Real in the first half, after the break both teams stopped playing.

T-Rex.

Banned
Our defence is bad against a certain style of play, but in the bigger matches it's actually pretty good. How many goals did we concede against the rest of the top 6 last season? I don't think we will make it to the semis cos we don't really have a big enough squad to juggle the CL and the PL, but I don't think it's that ridiculous either if the draw goes well for us.

Assuming we beat Hoffenheim obviously.

MikeBison

It was the second one at the Bernabeu IIRC. Actually played pretty well in that game, all things considered. In the first game we were dismantled by Real in the first half, after the break both teams stopped playing.

Yeah in the Anfield game there was a friendly atmosphere. Seem to remember Ronaldo getting a fair round of applause for one his goals. Then it felt like they were going easy on us in the second half. Was all weird as fuck.

But we did play well at their place. Still baffled that Rodgers 'rested' Gerrard for those. I'd have been tampin'.

We were bafflingly shit that year.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death

I was shocked at how much we had regressed, but when you look at it in the cold light of morning, it's not that surprising. We sold Suarez and Sturridge was injured for most of the season. Straight away that's 50 goals and all of our threat gone. The new signings (Markovich, Lallana, Balotelli,Lovren, Moreno and Lambert) varied from poor to disastrous. Our extremely leaky defense was not fixed, though to be fair they did try by signing one of the previous seasons highest rated defenders.

I think another problem was Rodgers position being galvanised by the teams performance in the previous season, which clearly went to his head. The lineup at the bernebeu is probably the best example of that. He gradually became more combative and difficult and that probably affected the moral.

2014/15 was truly a disastrous season. Just like 2009/10 before it, all the progress from the season before was destroyed.

TimmmV

Yeah in the Anfield game there was a friendly atmosphere. Seem to remember Ronaldo getting a fair round of applause for one his goals. Then it felt like they were going easy on us in the second half. Was all weird as fuck.

But we did play well at their place. Still baffled that Rodgers 'rested' Gerrard for those. I'd have been tampin'.

The game vs Madrid wasnt helped by Mig basically giving them 2 free goals iirc

Not that they wouldn't have likely won anyway, but yeah, he didn't help things

MikeBison

Melissa Reddy going IN on Souness on his assertion that Coutinho is "a six or seven goals a season man and doesn't turn up in big games"

" LFC's top scorer last season with 14"
"12 the year before"

" Scored:
Five goals vs City
Three vs Arsenal
Three vs Everton
Two vs Spurs
Two vs Chelsea
Against United in the Europa league"

Also against Dortmund. Fa cup semi final. League cup final.

Etc.

operon

people forgetting that Liverpool do well against teams that's actually go for it, play to score. We do bad against teams that defend and park the bus because we can't break them down and score and then we let them score against the run of play usually we awful defending and then we can't score.

Markitron

The game vs Madrid wasnt helped by Mig basically giving them 2 free goals iirc

Not that they wouldn't have likely won anyway, but yeah, he didn't help things

Yea their goals were preventable, but they completely dominated the game and could have scored 5 more if they had tried. They got in 3 up at half time and called it a day, and Liverpool were more than happy to oblige.

Melissa Reddy going IN on Souness on his assertion that Coutinho is "a six or seven goals a season man and doesn't turn up in big games"

" LFC's top scorer last season with 14"
"12 the year before"

" Scored:
Five goals vs City
Three vs Arsenal
Three vs Everton
Two vs Spurs
Two vs Chelsea
Against United in the Europa league"

Also against Dortmund. Fa cup semi final. League cup final.

Etc.

Souness sticks to his whiney 'old man yells at cloud' routine, and doesn't let facts get in the way. He has always been like that, the only reason Sky or anyone else employ him is because he can boil piss. He is not to be taken seriously.

MikeBison

Yea their goals were preventable, but they completely dominated the game and could have scored 5 more if they had tried. They got in 3 up at half time and called it a day, and Liverpool were more than happy to oblige.

Souness sticks to his whiney 'old man yells at cloud' routine, and doesn't let facts get in the way. He has always been like that, the only reason Sky or anyone else employ him is because he can boil piss. He is not to be taken seriously.

Not to forget that as Liverpool manager he sold all our best players and bought complete shite to replace them. Souness was the beginning of the end of our domination.

Kaveh answered his own speculation:

Kaveh Solhekol‏Verified account
@SkyKaveh
Follow
More
Liverpool have let Barcelona know that there's no point bidding £138m for Philippe Coutinho because they wouldn't even sell him for £150m

So next summer then

people forgetting that Liverpool do well against teams that's actually go for it, play to score. We do bad against teams that defend and park the bus because we can't break them down and score and then we let them score against the run of play usually we awful defending and then we can't score.

Hoffenheim took the game to us and, with a bit more quality in attack, could have scored 3 or 4.

And really, all they have to do is just put Lovren under a bit of pressure in the 18 yard box and they'll get at least 1 pk.

Markitron

Kaveh answered his own speculation:

So next summer then

They can spend the next 12 months looking for a replacement. If Barca aren't interested then PSG sure as shit will be.

And really, all they have to do is just put Lovren under a bit of pressure in the 18 yard box and they'll get at least 1 pk.

I'm fairly certain Lovren will give you a penalty if you just ask politely.

DBT85

I swear most betting places let you tweet them for odds like that. Might need to wait for the groups to actually be drawn though.

Ahh yeah they do but we all know Bayern won't get knocked out lol.

If they did though and then got arsenal in the knockouts though I'd laugh so hard.

Markitron

Holy shit, I don't remember it being that bad. Borini. 😂

I remember Sunderland offering decent money for him the summer before, but he decided to stay and fight for his place.

With Sturridge injured, he was probably our best striker that season........

Lunar FC

I remember Sunderland offering decent money for him the summer before, but he decided to stay and fight for his place.

With Sturridge injured, he was probably our best striker that season........

Man, looking back at that squad rn, it was some dark times up front..

Fowards: Lambert, Sturridge, Borini, Balotelli, Sinclair

8 combined goals between them in the league.

PowderedToast

Or put all our best players on the bench...

B1ngF_nIQAAggOC.jpg

did brendan actually ever give a reason for this?

henderson, sterling and coutinho were our only good players at this time. no one in the 11 was in good form, the likes of lallana and can were half of what they are now and gerrard was dead.

Beefy

Harry Redknapp is amazing at deals fam.

More details on the Gallagher loan deal (Southampton to Birmingham).

Birmingham will pay all of Gallagher's £22k a week wages, but will also pay him £8k more a week...

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Number of goals in last eight Liverpool vs Arsenal games at Anfield: 2, 3, 2, 3, 4, 6, 4, 6.

Harry Redknapp is amazing at deals fam.

More details on the Gallagher loan deal (Southampton to Birmingham).

Birmingham will pay all of Gallagher's £22k a week wages, but will also pay him £8k more a week...

wtf?

Markitron

The legendary Ryan Babel

At least he gave us the legend of the Babel-Copter, wtf did Jovanovich do for us?

did brendan actually ever give a reason for this?

I don't think so, at least not one that was satisfactory anyway. IMO that was the beginning of the end for him, the away fans deserved an apology after that.

The darkest timeline

If your timeline involves Paul Konchesky in any way, it's definitely the darkest.

Markitron

Extremely nervous ahead of tonights Cl qualifier match. Us fixing out squad this season, kind of depends on getting into CL.

If you are referring to Liverpool, then I wouldn't worry, we're not getting any more players whether we qualify or not.

If you are referring to Liverpool, then I wouldn't worry, we're not getting any more players whether we qualify or not.

I am referring to Copenhagen, and we certainly are. We got one fit CB until the winter break at the moment, but erik sviatchenko seems secured if we get into CL. Panathinaikos captain Zeca also wants to come, but no way we are dropping the money demanded, without CL which our economy is heavily dependent on.

tomtom94

🤔

I assumed they already had given the number of players they've sent out on loan there.

Have a feeling we might get some UEFA regulations on parent clubs by the end of the decade. The "buy up good players then loan them out across Europe so no-one else can have them" policy of certain big clubs is reaching concerning levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom