• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emo Music |OT| Non-Conforming as Can Be

Danchi

OP should probs link to Fourfa. It has its tongue firmly in its cheek at times, but it covers the essential bands. Written by someone who was in Funeral Diner (one of the guitarists at some point, if I remember right?). It has the dumb genre distinctions though:

Phase one: "emocore" Rites of Spring, Embrace, Gray Matter, Ignition, Dag Nasty, Monsula, Fugazi kind of, Fuel, Samiam, Jawbreaker, Hot Water Music, Elliott, Friction, Soulside, early Lifetime, Split Lip/Chamberlain, Kerosene 454.

Starts in DC in 1984/85 and goes strong, spreads to the SF Bay in 1989, then explodes all over the Midwest, Florida, and Northeast shortly thereafter.

The "emocore" style has become broader over the years. In the beginning, these bands consisted mostly of people who played in hardcore punk bands, got burned out its limited forms, and moved to a guitar-oriented, midtempo rock-based sound with emotional punk vocals (i.e., no posed soulful crooning like pop music). The central aspect here is the guitars - distorted, strummed mostly in duo unison, with occasional catchy riff highlights. This becomes known as the classic "D.C. sound," along with the octave chords that show up in later "emo" music. Later bands bring in more pop elements, like catchy-riff based songs, pop song structures (listen to Jawbreaker's "Chesterfield King" to illustrate this), and less-punk, more-smoothly-sung high-register singing (less yelling, straining, throatiness). Listen to Elliott or Chamberlain for an example of how alternative-pop this music has become. Yet those bands are undeniably still emocore. Also note most emocore bands play Gibson Les Paul guitars, with a few SGs, and use mostly Marshall JCM-800 amps.

Phase two: "emo." Moss Icon, the Hated, Silver Bearings, Native Nod, Merel, Hoover, Current, Indian Summer, Evergreen, Navio Forge, Still Life, Shotmaker, Policy of Three, Clikatat Ikatowi, Maximillian Colby, Sleepytime Trio, Noneleftstanding, Embassy, Ordination of Aaron, Floodgate, Four Hundred Years, Frail, Lincoln, Julia, Shroomunion, some early Unwound, etc.

Started in the DC area in 1987/88 with bands inspired by that area's post-hardcore acceptance of new, diverse sounds within the punk scene. Moves onward to New Jersey and California, then onward to Philly, Richmond VA, a bit in Canada, a bit in Illinois, and not much else.

Musically there's a lot dynamics between ultra-soft / whispered vocals / twinkly guitar bits and full-bore crashing / twin Gibson SG guitar roaring / screaming vocals. One of the most recognizable and universal elements of emo shows up in the guitar sound of this style: the octave chord. Octave chords give this style a high-pitched, driving urgency and a very rich texture. The Gibson SG / Marshall JCM-800 guitar combo and Ampeg 400 bass amp is the classic emo gear. Solid-state amps are unheard of.

Phase three: "hardcore emo." Heroin, Antioch Arrow, Mohinder, Honeywell, Reach Out, early Portaits of Past, Assfactor 4, Second Story Window, End of the Line, Angel Hair, Swing Kids, Three Studies for a Crucifixion, John Henry West, Guyver-1, Palatka, Coleman, Iconoclast, some Merel, some Clikatat Ikatowi, etc.

Hinted at in New Jersey in 1990 (Merel, Iconoclast). Starts for real in San Diego in 1991 with Heroin, comes to SF Bay in 1992 (Reach Out, Mohinder, Honeywell, Portraits of Past, John Henry West), hits Philly, Florida, New York, and the rest of the East Coast a little bit.

Similar to punk vs. hardcore punk - faster, louder, harder, much more intense and single-minded. Most of these bands play extremely fast, and introduce the "chaos" concept to hardcore. This is extremely abrasive music, with vocals screamed at the physical limit of the vocal chords. The guitars are distorted to the point that notes and chords are hard to recognize - although often the guitarists don't even play notes, instead making piercing, staccato bursts of noise, squeals of deafening feedback, or a wash of strummed dissonance. The bass often has quite a bit of distortion as well, unlike straight emo. This is everything emo done more so - sometimes so totally over the top that the band 's songs are not even recognizable when performing live. Antioch Arrow, for instance, thrashed about so much on stage that they sounded less like a band than a giant amplified blender. After each song, they had to retune every string, and usually had knocked over a good fraction of their equipment. These shows tended also to be quite short for reasons of the band's physical endurance.

Phase four: "post-emo indie rock" and post-emo post-hardcore. Sunny Day Real Estate, Christie Front Drive, Promise Ring, Mineral, Boys Life, Sideshow, Get-Up Kids, Braid, Cap'n Jazz, then later Joan of Arc, Jets To Brazil, etc. Lots of Caulfield and Crank! Records bands, more lately a lot of stuff on Jade Tree for instance.

Anyone that claims to like both straight-edge and emo is probably talking about this kind of emo. Starts out near Colorado and Seattle, explodes all over the Midwest, then onward to New York, etc. In fact an early term for this kind of music was "midwest emo," as these bands seemed to come out of nowhere towns in Missouri, Kansas, Colorado...

Musically, tends toward a lot of loud/soft interation, but a lot of softly-sung vocals and very little screaming or harshness. Lots of catchy, poppy guitar riffs, happiness or at least melancholy, and a particular fascination with off-key, cutesy boy vocals. This is where the phrase "twinkly guitar parts" comes from - lots of pretty major-key arpeggios, light drumming, and some amount of crooning. It sounds like a recipe for cheeze, and sometimes is. I remember reading a review of the early Christie Front Drive 12" that said, "this is what emo kids listen to when they make love." It was a nice alternative to a steady diet of hardcore.

There is a valid element of emo in the vocals here (along with occasional octave chord). It's not as easy to identify as the mournful screaming in the original emo style, tending to consist more of greatly drawn-out phrases detailing very emotional lyrics with ironically light and poppy singing.

Sunny Day Real Estate came up with a very original post-hardcore meets emocore at an indie rock show sound. This inspired a spawn of imitators even more shameless than the Fugazi and Quicksand clones. Which leads one to observe: post-hardcore emerged when the hardcore scene tired of the same seven-year-old sounds inspired by a few innovative hardcore bands. A few innovative post-hardcore bands come out with a totally new sound out of nowhere (Fugazi, Quicksand, SDRE, Drive Like Jehu), and spawn legions of imitators. Basically straight out of Thomas Kuhn's theories...

By 1999, this type of music had achieved a fan base far larger than any of the original emo stuff. In fact, that's what prompted me to write this website in the first place - the glut of info on the web about this and the lack of a historical perspective. Statistically, you the reader are most likely to be familiar with this type of emo. In the years since then, it's only grown far, far bigger. Jimmy Eat World and Thursday are in regular rotation on MTV and many corporate alternative radio stations, and sappy music like this Dashboard Confessional fellow is pulling in a whole new audience. This is well on its way to becoming a major demographic market, soon after which we'll see a lot of new bands with zero real connection to the original underground scene (unlike for instance Jimmy Eat World, who used to open at every emo show in Phoenix way back in 1994).

Tucah

you speak so well
51RYTTJNGTL.jpg

No The Early November mention? The Room's Too Cold is so good.

Anyway, I fall in and out of love with the genre but there are bands/records that I will never stop listening to - Cap'n Jazz, American Football, CSD/SWYA/TBC-era Saves the Day, Brand New, etc. I'll certainly be popping in here from time to time.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
The last thread totally got me back into emo music. I'll definitely be listening to basically all of these albums mentioned at work over the next few days.

Edit: Can't believe I almost forgot about this album! Desaparecidos - Read Music/Speak Spanish.
The side project of Conor Oberst (AKA Bright Eyes). It's fantastic. I still don't quite know where the emo genre begins and ends, so I apologize if that isn't actually emo.

It took too long for Tiny Moving Parts to be mentioned. I discovered them only recently but I loved both their records.

This band isn't emo, but Tiny Moving Parts reminded me a bit of Good Luck, which is one of my favorite bands. Might be worth checking out.

No The Early November mention? The Room's Too Cold is so good.

Oh man, yes. The Early November is one of my favorites. It's obviously heading away from emo, but The Mother, The Mechanic, & The Path is one of my all-time favorite albums.

kiguel182

An Emo OT! And with some bands I don't know, great stuff.

EmoGaf is the best Gaf.

EDIT: And yeah, tons of new stuff to check out. Awesome.

kiguel182

I don't think they have been mentioned yet but Foxing is a pretty good revival band. They are working with Brand New for their next LP this year I think so it's a band to look into to.

Also, The World is a Beautiful Place and I'm No Longer Afraid to Die are an highlight of the genre right now. Even if they have an awful, awful name.

zerotol

Banned
I witnessed people start smoking Chesterfield Kings when that Jawbreaker EP of the same name came out. And almost every time I recall seeing Jawbreaker live, Blake would announce that he had just quit smoking. Ha!

nowarning

Never considered DCFC emo myself, I do like their earlier stuff though up until around The Photo Album.

Foxing are alright, TWIABP... really are not my cup of tea, I never really understood the hype around them.

Hassan I Sabbah were awesome. The part on that track that starts around 1:10 is so good, something about that sound just does it for me. I don't really know of many modern bands that can pull that kind of thing off so if anyone does please let me know!

kiguel182

Never considered DCFC emo myself, I do like their earlier stuff though up until around The Photo Album.

Foxing are alright, TWIABP... really are not my cup of tea, I never really understood the hype around them.

Hassan I Sabbah were awesome. The part on that track that starts around 1:10 is so good, something about that sound just does it for me. I don't really know of many modern bands that can pull that kind of thing off so if anyone does please let me know!

I agree that the Foxing album isn't mind-blowing but I think it's a sold start. They have room to improve.

What don't you like about TWIABP?

tumblr_ltcekr53D41qci8gb.jpg

This definity brings back some nostalgia. Emo was a pretty big thing in Jersey. Some great bands came out of this State. MCR, Senses Fail, Thursday, Saves the Day.

kiguel182

We shouldn't start going with the old "this isn't emo" thing.

Unless the band in question is really far from the scene (or if someone asks) we shouldn't hang on that.

There's no winning in discussing the details of what is or isn't emo.

nowarning

I agree that the Foxing album isn't mind-blowing but I think it's a sold start. They have room to improve.

What don't you like about TWIABP?

They just never really clicked with me, there's a few parts on Josh is Dead that are alright but they're just not my kind of band and I don't really like the vocals. The EP they did with the spoken word guy was pretty funny though haha. I am really picky with all this "revival" stuff, a lot of it I just flat out don't like, usually because of the vocals.

zerotol

Banned
We shouldn't start going with the old "this isn't emo" thing.

Unless the band in question is really far from the scene (or if someone asks) we shouldn't hang on that.

There's no winning in discussing the details of what is or isn't emo.

I understand what your intention is, but it just seems silly at times.

kiguel182

They just never really clicked with me, there's a few parts on Josh is Dead that are alright but they're just not my kind of band and I don't really like the vocals. The EP they did with the spoken word guy was pretty funny though haha. I am really picky with all this "revival" stuff, a lot of it I just flat out don't like, usually because of the vocals.

The EP was actually the first thing I listen from them, only after I realized they weren't a spoken word band,

But I get the vocal complain. I'm found of it but I get a lot of revival singers are harder to like.

I understand what your intention is, but it just seems silly at times.

I mean, it's one thing to say Simple Plan isn't emo but making the case for Jawbreaker starts to look like splitting hairs since it's a band that's part of the scene and a lot of people in the scene look at them as emo.

But, in the end, it just derails the thread and contributes nothing to it.

Danchi

Unfun is the closest Jawbreaker really got to this sound. Kinda Rites of Springs-y at times. Other than that they probs get the link through Blake's lyrics and the link to Jets to Brazil.

With Fugazi, again, it's only really the first two EPs that make up the 13 songs comp.

I'm only really familiar with Repetition-era Unwound so I couldn't talk about their early records.

Danchi

Maybe today. Not 25 years ago.

Well, yeah. That's a lot of music subgenres though.

I get that people who were around at the time are weirded out about what seems like revisionism, but it just exists so that music nerds on the internet can categorise things easier.

I generally agree with you that most of them are pretty dumb.

nowarning

The EP was actually the first thing I listen from them, only after I realized they weren't a spoken word band,

But I get the vocal complain. I'm found of it but I get a lot of revival singers are harder to like.

Haha I'm not sure what I would have thought if I'd heard that first, so out of interest do you prefer that EP or the full length? AFAIK the EP was just a one off and they played some live shows with the spoken word guy.

I've always heard Fugazi etc. referred to as post-hardcore, at the end of the day it all stems from punk/hardcore and the waters can get a little muddy, more people talking about Fugazi and the like is great though IMO.

Is it bad that I think Dear You's my favourite Jawbreaker album? It has so many great songs. Accident Prone, Sluttering, I Love You So Much It's Killing Us Both, Jet Black...you know what the whole thing is great. I don't care if it's supposedly overproduced.

Danchi

Is it bad that I think Dear You's my favourite Jawbreaker album? It has so many great songs. Accident Prone, Sluttering, I Love You So Much It's Killing Us Both, Jet Black...you know what the whole thing is great. I don't care if it's supposedly overproduced.

Not really. I think it's most fans' favourite album? That or 24 Hour Revenge Therapy which has the Albini production and melodic punk sound. Bivouac seems to be one that divides opnions. If I remember right, the CD has a different tracklisting than the vinyl which is what a lot of people point to.

Personally I've never really been into any band Blake's been in. Jawbreaker or Jets to Brazil.

xam3l

My definition of emo is very different that what I thought.

I always put shitty bands like Tokyo Hotel in that bucket.

As for the bands on this thread, I like the majority. A lot of nostalgic feels here.

We should set up a GAF Emo Spotify Playlist. My main tool for listening to music at work.

Bad news is Cap'n Jazz isn't on there :(

This is the second time Jimmy Eat World has been included in an emo list. What are you people smoking?

Jimmy Eat World is the same as My Chemical Romance to you? Really???

nowarning

I really don't like to say x band isn't emo but whatever - early Jimmy Eat World is emo, My Chemical Romance aren't really emo - that's about all there is to it.

Danchi

Jimmy Eat World are pretty much the only big-name band that has any connection to the original scene. Sorry, but they are emo.

Well Wisher aren't cool because they never sent me the 7" I ordered from them ;)

Jimmy Eat World are pretty much the only big-name band that has any connection to the original scene. Sorry, but they are emo.

Well Wisher aren't cool because they never sent me the 7" I ordered from them ;)

If it helps, they were all pretty shite quality. Both of mine are warped as shit. I spoke to Breen about it once and apparently they were super cheap pressings.

Danchi

If it helps, they were all pretty shite quality. Both of mine are warped as shit. I spoke to Breen about it once and apparently they were super cheap pressings.

Yeah, I think I ordered a bunch of stuff and by the time I realised I was missing something (probably a couple of months later) they'd broken up.

Blink Me

Good thread. Favourite songs at the moment:

American Football- Never Meant
Jets to Brazil- You're the one I want
Jawbreaker- Want, Kiss the Bottle (kind of prefer Foo Fighters cover)
The Promise Ring- Is This Thing On
Sunny Day Real Estate- Seven

Do Alkaline Trio count or are they seen as pop-punk. Goddammit is one of my favourite albums ever. Same with Clarity by Jimmy Eat World

Philippo

Subscribed.

I miss my MCR and all the bands of those years, but this "new wave" you guys posted ain't bad at all.

Still, anything new closer in style to MCR?

Top Bottom