• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

riotous

Banned
Yep, class of 2003. Frosty and the team won the championship during my freshman year. Even have a championhsip hoodie.

Cool; I was at the championship game and the playoff game before it. Was some of the craziest football I've ever witnessed; they came back from being down like 21 points late in the 4th quarter of that one game, can't remember the college.. some place in Oregon.

dLMN8R

Anyone got any go to restaurants in ballard or wallingford? They can be anything.

Ballard:
-La Carta De Oaxaca for Mexican food
-Asadero El Mesquite for awesome meat at reasonable prices
-Porkchop & Co.

Wallingford:
-Pam's Kitchen for incredible Caribbean food
-Ramen Man for ramen (I personally like it more than the popular Seattle places)
-Musashi's for their Chirashi bowl
-Harvest Beat for one of the best meals you'll ever have, ever (even though it's Vegan)
-Art of the Table for a fancy / special occasion meal
-Stone Way Cafe for brunch

KRaZyAmmo

Ballard:
-La Carta De Oaxaca for Mexican food
-Asadero El Mesquite for awesome meat at reasonable prices
-Porkchop & Co.

Wallingford:
-Pam's Kitchen for incredible Caribbean food
-Ramen Man for ramen (I personally like it more than the popular Seattle places)
-Musashi's for their Chirashi bowl
-Harvest Beat for one of the best meals you'll ever have, ever (even though it's Vegan)
-Art of the Table for a fancy / special occasion meal
-Stone Way Cafe for brunch
Thanks. That's a lot of places i would have never thought of.

Edit: sorry to ask again. But got any recommended bars in Queen Anne/Ballard/Capital Hill?

dLMN8R

Bars in Ballard - I haven't been to many, but the one I'd highly recommend is Percy's. They have a bunch of bitters they make in house and lots of fancy cocktails to go along with them.

If you're in Capitol Hill, I have many more opinions.

-Speckled and Drake is my favorite place to go to regularly. They're never too busy, have incredibly reasonable prices especially considering they're in Capitol Hill, and pour really tasty and heavy drinks. They also have a bunch of liquor+shot combos. You won't find fancy cocktails there.

-Knee High Stocking Company is expensive, but fun to try at least once. Awesome cocktails, neat location, great food. They recently expanded the (previously small) space by opening up the basement, and when they did so they raised their prices further, so that kinda sucks.

-Witness has one or some of the bartenders who used to be at Knee High Stocking Company. Excellent drinks, even better chicken and waffles though

And if you want to head back up to Wallingford, I love Russell's wayyyyy too much.

Ballard - My wife and I had dinner and drinks at Bramling Cross a few weeks ago. She's a big Bourbon/Old Fashioned fan, and liked what they offered. We also really like Staple and Fancy. Noble Fir is a great bar but they only do beer, cider and wine. Essex up in North Ballard has a great drink list.

Wallingford - Bizarro is great. If you're willing to stretch Wallingford down Stone Way into Fremont, you can't go wrong with Joule.

Fremont - Revel and their sister bar Quoin are great. Brouwers is thought of as being predominantly beer focused but they've got an impressive list of Bourbons, Whiskeys, Tequilla, etc.

Queen Anne - Used to live there years ago, but don't get over there much. When we do, we go to The Masonry or The Five Spot on top of QA Hill.

dLMN8R

Just for full context: I had the Chicken & Waffles at Witness only a month or two after having the very famous Chicken & Waffles at Screen Door in Portland.

Witness may not have beaten Screen Door, but holy hell it didn't disappoint at all. They're really that good.

finalflame

Gold Member
Just for full context: I had the Chicken & Waffles at Witness only a month or two after having the very famous Chicken & Waffles at Screen Door in Portland.

Witness may not have beaten Screen Door, but holy hell it didn't disappoint at all. They're really that good.
So is this chicken and waffles like, east coast/south good? I tried most C+W places in SF before moving up to Seattle but was mostly disappointed, haven't quite tried any Seattle joints yet.

mYm|17|

Fat's Chicken and Waffles in CD is good

slider4.jpg

dLMN8R

So is this chicken and waffles like, east coast/south good? I tried most C+W places in SF before moving up to Seattle but was mostly disappointed, haven't quite tried any Seattle joints yet.

I don't have experience with them. But I do know that Screen Door is supposed to be one of the best in the country, and Witness isn't too far behind.

Fat's Chicken and Waffles in CD is good

slider4.jpg

What kind of sad ass waffle are you trying to peddle here? Chicken and Waffles should look like this:

o.jpg

A lot of great food in Seattle, but all expensive as fuck. What are your guys recommendations for cheap eats?

What do you consider cheap?

Our regular food "Friday night family dinner in the neighborhood" places (Green Lake/Roosevelt/Maple Leaf) are Rositas, The Shelter, Kritikka, Dan's Kitchen, Zaina and Judy Fu's. And Himitsu Teriyaki. Bow down to teriyaki. Kizuki ramen at Northgate is a regular spot for us as well.

Latona Pub when my wife and I have a date night and would rather walk instead of driving. Toronado's food is really good, too.

Pies and Pints used to be on our list but they recently closed after 13 years. That sucks.

If you're looking for fancier fare, Salare in Ravenna holds their own with the rest of the city.

A lot of great food in Seattle, but all expensive as fuck. What are your guys recommendations for cheap eats?

El Sombrero in Colombia City has monstrous portions, for average Mecixan. I'm always surprised how much food comes out. My SO and I could split one entree and be satisfied.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Ballard - My wife and I had dinner and drinks at Bramling Cross a few weeks ago. She's a big Bourbon/Old Fashioned fan, and liked what they offered. We also really like Staple and Fancy. Noble Fir is a great bar but they only do beer, cider and wine. Essex up in North Ballard has a great drink list.

Wallingford - Bizarro is great. If you're willing to stretch Wallingford down Stone Way into Fremont, you can't go wrong with Joule.

Fremont - Revel and their sister bar Quoin are great. Brouwers is thought of as being predominantly beer focused but they've got an impressive list of Bourbons, Whiskeys, Tequilla, etc.

Queen Anne - Used to live there years ago, but don't get over there much. When we do, we go to The Masonry or The Five Spot on top of QA Hill.

everything on the east side of stone is just legit no questions asked wallingford.

for food i'd add Stop n Go on 45th for their poke bowls and of course ezells. i also like miyabi, who just reinvented their menu. everybody except me loves Bodrum (turkish) on 45th and i am still fond of Kozue for mildly off kilter family style japanese food.

Guys, I just looked at the weather report and they're predicting 70 degrees for Wednesday. Our long winter is ending.

thank fucking god this has just been the worst. i'm off to orcas island on friday. please hold up!

I cook there....

i gotta check that out.

dLMN8R

everything on the east side of stone is just legit no questions asked wallingford.

for food i'd add Stop n Go on 45th for their poke bowls and of course ezells. i also like miyabi, who just reinvented their menu. everybody except me loves Bodrum (turkish) on 45th and i am still fond of Kozue for mildly off kilter family style japanese food.

On the west side of Stone Way we now have Art of the Table (which just moved from a couple blocks away on 39th), Manolin (which is great but over-priced), and Sea Wolf Bakery which has some incredible croissants and sourdough loaves.

Heading to Art of the Table in a couple weeks for my wife's birthday. Their new space looks really nice.

Also, I thought I heard Miyabi closed for good this weekend? I know the former owner/chef left a while back.

otapnam

hey seattle gaf, im going to be visiting labor day weekend and was hoping to hitup the Mariners vs A's game. Does Costco sell discount tickets up there for mariners games or is there any other discounts available? wouldnt mind saving a few bucks!

thanks!

hey seattle gaf, im going to be visiting labor day weekend and was hoping to hitup the Mariners vs A's game. Does Costco sell discount tickets up there for mariners games or is there any other discounts available? wouldnt mind saving a few bucks!

thanks!

No discounts at Costco. If you buy your tickets at Safeco Field (at least one day ahead of the game) or at a Mariners Team Store you don't have to pay any service fees.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Sea Wolf Bakery which has some incredible croissants and sourdough loaves.

One of the owners used to be a coworker. He... had such a shitty work ethic, and did some frustrating, kind of underhanded stuff when they were getting that place started. Legit bugs me that they're doing fairly well already, heh.

Top Bottom