• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.
I may be a little older than you, and let me say that the general "no swear policy" of EZA is the right call, for multiple reasons.

Blood is probably just ok with it (
being the church boy of the group lol
), but I think this is a Jones-Kyle mandate.

1) they received several letters of young dads saying that they watch their streams and videos with their children, and you if you look at the dumb/fun game mondays fanart there's clearly a younger EZA audience out there.
It takes courage to "lead" and not to follow.

2) swearing is overdone right now. It's especially apparent to me that this is a current trend in entertainment that will die down in the next few years. This is good foresight, that will keep their content fresh when you'll go back to it in a couple of years.

3) it's useless comedy crutch, that is best avoided if not else to give meaning and punch to the moment when you'll finally swear. When you'll hear Jones or Kyle swear, you'll know it will be deserved.

zRYQ4qsl.png

Btw I swear like a sailor.

Agree on the general lack of swearing/blue humor being a good thing. It's too easy for me to be mean when I try to explain my reasoning on this (and it's late!), so I'll just leave it at that.

Mario007

This is a shock to no one here. The majority of your posts that I remember always seem to be about you complaining about him. You can't agree with anything he says or likes or does? That's pretty absurd. So now that you have proclaimed you will never enjoy anything he participates in, I would love it if you'd just refrain from talking about him ever again. It won't be constructive, it won't contribute to the thread, it'd be just you using this thread (that he does read) as some complaint line to rant on a person. There's plenty of other EZA content out there where this shouldn't be an issue
To be fair you are right. I was off the Damiani train eversince his last year's "only worthwhile games at E3 are Nintendo games".
However, I have been trying for a year to see his work and to get to listen to his ideas and the content he drops. Similarly, in the beginning I wasn't too fond of Ian but now he's one of my favorite Allies after getting to see more of his stuff.

Similarly, Damiani has been putting in the work since he last posted here in this thread and engaged with criticism. So I wanted to listen to his shows but simply they are not for me and neither are his opinions anything that I can agree with.
I've definitely heard Brad, Huber, Ben and Jones drop f bombs, Ian too maybe. Damiani maybe something like a 'bullshit' or something. Never heard Kyle, Blood or Don swear.

Although Blood drops a 'frick' every now and then, tsk tsk.

Maybe instead you should think twice about posting stuff like this in here. What do you hope to gain from it? Just having a vent? More importantly, what is Damiani supposed to gain from it?
I don't really expect Damiani to gain much from it. I do appreciate he puts in the effort, as I've said in the original comment but it is simply not for me. This thread is not "let's talk to the Allies" thread, it's let's talk about the Allies. Similarly, in a TV or Movie thread I could freely say I do not like an actor or a director without hoping he'd gain anything from it.
Who gets upset, the YouTube comments? I've never seen anyone say anything negative about his sign off, and the other allies seem to like it too. Multiple times now
including in todays L&R podcast
they have given Brad the sign-off despite his seat not actually "earning" it because it's popular.

Every time you post shit like this you never try to defend it when people respond. So clearly you're not actually trying to start a conversation or offer any constructive criticism. What's the point, other than being a jerk in a thread Damiani and co. read?
I'm not a jerk. I wasn't mean to Damiani, neither did I use swear words (as opposed to you calling my opinion "shit").
"Friend Code fiasco."

Lol

OK, maybe you imagined it to be something else.
e
Here's what I imagined Friend Code to be:

A Nintendo Podcast promised by the goals of the Patreon.

Bahorel

To be fair you are right. I was off the Damiani train eversince his last year's "only worthwhile games at E3 are Nintendo games".
However, I have been trying for a year to see his work and to get to listen to his ideas and the content he drops. Similarly, in the beginning I wasn't too fond of Ian but now he's one of my favorite Allies after getting to see more of his stuff.

Similarly, Damiani has been putting in the work since he last posted here in this thread and engaged with criticism. So I wanted to listen to his shows but simply they are not for me and neither are his opinions anything that I can agree with.

I don't really expect Damiani to gain much from it. I do appreciate he puts in the effort, as I've said in the original comment but it is simply not for me. This thread is not "let's talk to the Allies" thread, it's let's talk about the Allies. Similarly, in a TV or Movie thread I could freely say I do not like an actor or a director without hoping he'd gain anything from it.

I'm not a jerk. I wasn't mean to Damiani, neither did I use swear words (as opposed to you calling my opinion "shit").
e

Yeah but look if you talk about an actor they're 99.9% of the time not going to look at it or care on some random forum. But you know perfectly well that this is a community thread that engages with the actual allies. You know that he's going to see it, and frankly you probably want him to.

If you don't like his content, that's okay, you don't have to watch it. But try to be respectful. That's what this community is built upon

After the Friend Code fiasco, lack of Game Sleuth and the latest podcast I honestly do not like Damiani or any of his attitudes and ideas. I appreciate that he is putting out content for the EZA, but honestly it is not something that I am interested in, I disagree with 100% of all he says and will have to think twice next time when he's on the podcast on Frametrap as to whether to see it.

Wow. I quit this thread for months (aside from popping back in a couple of times) and you're still ranting and raving about Damiani?! Yeah, we get it, you don't like him for some completely irrational reasons, why do you feel the need to constantly tell us about it? It's not constructive criticism, discussion or debate, it's just being a dick.

I don't like everything Damiani does, in large part because I'm not a Nintendo fan (eg, I wasn't a fan of Zelda Talk being an ongoing series), but he still has plenty of input I genuinely enjoy. He's one of my favourite podcast guests, for example.

"I honestly do not like Damiani or any of his attitudes and ideas." "I disagree with 100% of all he says." Totally not mean though, guys.

But that Nintendo podcast is hosted by someone who you disagree with 100% of the time and don't like his ideas or attitude, so why do you care?

Mario007

Wow. I quit this thread for months (aside from popping back in a couple of times) and you're still ranting and raving about Damiani?! Yeah, we get it, you don't like him for some completely irrational reasons, why do you feel the need to constantly tell us about it? It's not constructive criticism, discussion or debate, it's just being a dick.

I don't like everything Damiani does, in large part because I'm not a Nintendo fan (eg, I wasn't a fan of Zelda Talk being an ongoing series), but he still has plenty of input I genuinely enjoy. He's one of my favourite podcast guests, for example.

"I honestly do not like Damiani or any of his attitudes and ideas." "I disagree with 100% of all he says." Totally not mean though, guys.

But that Nintendo podcast is hosted by someone who you disagree with 100% of the time and don't like his ideas or attitude, so why do you care?
I have explained in the second post that I was trying to get into his content and that meant friend code too. Also friend code's change in format is kinda reflective of Game Sleuths being seemingly dropped, Zelda talk stopping out of nowhere and so on.

Also saying you disagree with someone 100% and do not like their ideas is not at all mean. Now saying I do not like Damiani is mean, and for that I apologise.
Yeah but look if you talk about an actor they're 99.9% of the time not going to look at it or care on some random forum. But you know perfectly well that this is a community thread that engages with the actual allies. You know that he's going to see it, and frankly you probably want him to.

If you don't like his content, that's okay, you don't have to watch it. But try to be respectful. That's what this community is built upon
Sure, I get it but honestly I shouldn't feel the need to stop from saying I do not like Damiani's content just because he might read it here. Similarly, people can and are criticising my own opinion and venting in this thread. That's what happens when you put out an idea, you're liable for it.

Now I do concede saying I do not like Damiani is mean. However, I felt that saying that I do appreciate that he is a hardworking fella and he certainly is at that, showed that I do not hate the guy just that I do not like the content he produces.

I'll try to suggest a couple of things that to seem to me like a no-brainer for the Damiani shows. I'm trying to be constructive here, I don't pretend to know what's the right thing to do but here are my two cents:

Damiani is the "Nintendo Ally".
Blood knows alot about Nintendo as well, but Damiani got E3 stage time and Nintendo content is surely his strong suit. The Nintendo podcast is a no-brainer but the format has been wonky so far. Here's what worked in my opinion:

- show your merch/collection/memorabilia. I guess Damiani has a lot of this stuff. The Nintendo power fanmail or the books have been fun "trip down memory lane" moments.
- Guest appearances. We already know the minute details of the other allies' history with Nintendo.Get someone how lives a breathes a Nintendo classic game to talk about it ( Retronauts style). Also the allies know a lot of devs.
- console retrospectives. Just reconstructing the launch of a console is really fun. But...

What does not work imo:
The editing quality needs to raise. If you have a guest, you have make sure the audio is spot on. If you make a console retrospective you have to cut in trailers and magazine scans.
Also the pace needs to get better. Frametrap is a great 2 hour podcast to have in background while doing the dishes, this instead needs to be a tight 30 minutes show without drag (again Retronauts style).

Damiani plays alot of FFXIV
This is a game I'm not interested at all, but I think there's a possible audience there. Eorzan Allies numbers on youtube seem to add up but it does not seem "inclusive" content to me. If you're not invested in the game already, you won't tune in to see them play it. I think this should be relegated to stream content.
Maybe he just needs to play less FFXIV and get his mind on something else (may be wrong here though).

Damiani is the sleuth ally.
Damiani here needs to find new motivation and step up his game here. I think most of us will love smaller tighter episodes and updates and then two or three big episodes within the year.
I think he needs a producer. Especially in projects so open-ended as PopFiction or GameSleuth, I suppose it is easy to run out of leads and steam. He needs someone to support him and keep him on track.

No one is perfect, and putting yourself out there is surely a difficult thing that takes courage and determination. I think Michael may not seem particularly well spoken or charismatic as other allies may be, but I don't think this is the point: the content he produces is the key. If he gets to put his mind in the right place, fix a couple of things, he can really do a great job.

Back Don the Beat was absolutely phenomenal. Everything about it. Don is one cool bastard.

I agree about the Allies not being too crude or sweary sweary. I like it.

I mean, during that That's You game I would have definitely drawn at least one cock. Probably spunking and everything. No one want's to see that. And I swear far too much. So it's nice to just listen to a bunch of people that very rarely do swear. Brad's podcast sign off is the only time, in fact, where I can recall any of them swearing.

I like the innocence of it all. I like when Brad calls people "nerds" in situations where I would myself just blurt out "cunts" or something equally abhorrent.

I have explained in the second post that I was trying to get into his content and that meant friend code too. Also friend code's change in format is kinda reflective of Game Sleuths being seemingly dropped, Zelda talk stopping out of nowhere and so on.

Also saying you disagree with someone 100% and do not like their ideas is not at all mean. Now saying I do not like Damiani is mean, and for that I apologise.

Come the fuck on. It wasn't constructive criticism and it wasn't a discussion, you were just shitting on him, his ideas and his work. That you don't consider that "mean" only helps prove my point.

You don't have to like his work but a) There are ways to say that without being a dick and b) If you can't think of a way to say it without being a dick, maybe you shouldn't post in the first place. This thread isn't your own personal sounding board, it's a discussion and your post brought nothing but toxicity to it.

MrMette

Sure, I get it but honestly I shouldn't feel the need to stop from saying I do not like Damiani's content just because he might read it here. Similarly, people can and are criticising my own opinion and venting in this thread. That's what happens when you put out an idea, you're liable for it.

Now I do concede saying I do not like Damiani is mean. However, I felt that saying that I do appreciate that he is a hardworking fella and he certainly is at that, showed that I do not hate the guy just that I do not like the content he produces.
This was the first time that Friend Code wasn't a podcast. Also, you know he reads this thread and you know he does care about comments like this. It reads to me as a straight attack to him to me. Although I always enjoyed Damiani's content (in GT days and EZA), I do feel that he does put in extra effort the last few months to engage more in the podcasts and such. So I don't think it's fair to say it's "still the same", he does read the comments and he seems to do a genuine effort to change accordingly.

The reason why Zelda talk isn't on any more has been explained here. Game Sleuth certainly is a show that takes a lot of time to get right. I don't remember how often his sleuth show was done at GT, but I don't think you can rush them (although I do want a new episode of that one of course, I am just patiently waiting until a new episode happens).

The main thing is: You can not like his content, that's absolutely fine, but try to explain what he can do to make it better in a constructive manner. Just saying "I don't like his shows" is only hurting and doesn't really provide any useful info on how he can change them.
Also, the only thing posts like this (without constructive criticism) will do is that EZA is going to avoid reading this thread and avoid reading comments altogether and that would be a real shame. I love that they interact with the community/comments in the way they do. It would be a shame for it to stop.

Karu

I always try to keep a balance, so I can allow myself to "subtlety" say that I think a ten minute essay about Super Mario 64 of all games is boring, but then two days later go on how Damiani is 100% right with opinion X. I have absolutely no problem with people stating "Product X kinda sucks" without it being necessarily constructive - that is not our job and its insane to demand that of your customer/consumer. If someone doesn't want to keep that balance but still participate, don't be surprise with how you come off to others, especially in a dedicated fan thread.

I always try to keep a balance, so I can allow myself to "subtlety" say that I think a ten minute essay about Super Mario 64 of all games is boring, but then two days later go on how Damiani is 100% right with opinion X. I have absolutely no problem with people stating "Product X kinda sucks" without it being necessarily constructive - that is not our job and its insane to demand that of your customer/consumer. If someone doesn't want to keep that balance but still participate, don't be surprise with how you come off to others, especially in a dedicated fan thread.

I don't really think balance is that important, you just need to word your posts as if you're talking to actual people, not throwing out a ridiculous hot take on social media. I mean, I'm sure I've come across badly before but I do try to be self aware of what I'm saying.

Anyway, one really silly thing I noticed while watching the EZA Podcast right now: They do realise the Crash Trilogy are remakes and that Naughty Dog didn't make them, right? So just because the remakes have issues, doesn't mean the originals did too. For example, that bridge level Brad was stuck on for like an hour is much easier in the original.

Edit: Crash > Spyro but R&C > Jak (though J&D > R&C1).

Karu

I don't really think balance is that important, you just need to word your posts as if you're talking to actual people, not throwing out a ridiculous hot take on social media. I mean, I'm sure I've come across badly before but I do try to be self aware of what I'm saying.
Yeah, made that comment maybe more in regards to my own conscious than anything else, haha. But still, having such a mindset can't hurt.

Servbot24

Banned

Anyway, one really silly thing I noticed while watching the EZA Podcast right now: They do realise the Crash Trilogy are remakes and that Naughty Dog didn't make them, right? So just because the remakes have issues, doesn't mean the originals did too. For example, that bridge level Brad was stuck on for like an hour is much easier in the original.

Edit: Crash > Spyro but R&C > Jak (though J&D > R&C1).

That's the first time I heard that the originals were easier, so I would say that plenty of people don't realize that. Obviously everyone knows ND didn't make them, not sure what that point is in reference to.

Also Spryro > Crash :)

Auctopus

I don't really think balance is that important, you just need to word your posts as if you're talking to actual people, not throwing out a ridiculous hot take on social media.

Yeah, I've sorta been taking it easy on this thread due to a lack of this awareness but it's always important for someone to say it.

I think that goes for other posters in this thread too, not just other Allies. There's always another person on other side of the screen.

ShaithEatery

Neo Member
I'm way too excited for the beach-house stream! There's been a lot of cool ideas being mentioned for it like doing a Mario Sunshine playthrough as well as them playing Ian's card game Swords (not to mention the Viking trial for Huber for that awesome ring a viewer sent to him). That's going to pretty much be on the whole weekend for me.

Budi

They just don't all have to be up at the same time. Sleep in shifts.
Yup ofcourse, but some of them can still choose to over do it. I might sound like I'd be their mom, but I want them to the have proper rest and not consume too much caffeine as a substitute for sleep. Not only for their own health but also as an example to younger people. Stream responsibly.

Bahorel

Yup ofcourse, but some of them can still choose to over do it. I might sound like I'd be their mom, but I want them to the have proper rest and not consume too much caffeine as a substitute for sleep. Not only for their own health but also as an example to younger people. Stream responsibly.

Also to remember to take copious breaks and walk around and not hold a controller too long. This has been your blood clot/RSI prevention psa

Luckily there's nine of them to switch around and take shifts. I'm not too worried about them I feel like they're good about giving themselves time to rest and just hang out

Hasney

Damiani is the man who can sleep while upright at least as seen at E3!

That's the first time I heard that the originals were easier, so I would say that plenty of people don't realize that. Obviously everyone knows ND didn't make them, not sure what that point is in reference to.

Also Spryro > Crash :)

Yeah, they added a ton of new checkpoints and the new save system to make it easier but at the same time, screwed up some of the hit detection and jumping physics, particularly in the first game. Vicarious Visions even acknowledged it with this rubbish statement:

"An increased precision is now required in the first game, which makes the gameplay experience different. Particularly if you are a new player, you may want to start with the second and third games first, and then come back to try Crash Bandicoot after you’ve had more practice. For those of you who played the originals and acquired a fair amount of muscle memory, re-learning the handling in our game may present an additional challenge you weren’t expecting. But we’re sure you up to the task."

And the ND reference was in regards to Bosman saying you could see where Naughty Dog improved with each game. Since they were just talking about hit detection beforehand, I thought he assumed those issues were part of the original games.

I've really fallen behind on EZA the past few weeks (thanks FFXIV), but I just came across a tweet that says their Switch broke during review of Splatoon 2 last week. Have they ever elaborated on that in podcasts, on stream, etc.? Like, was it an accident or was it a hardware failure?
The reason I ask is because I noticed my Switch got EXTREMELY hot during the beta while docked so I have some concerns.

I've really fallen behind on EZA the past few weeks (thanks FFXIV), but I just came across a tweet that says their Switch broke during review of Splatoon 2 last week. Have they ever elaborated on that in podcasts, on stream, etc.? Like, was it an accident or was it a hardware failure?
The reason I ask is because I noticed my Switch got EXTREMELY hot during the beta while docked so I have some concerns.

I elaborated on my personal Twitter. System started locking up and crashing within a minute or two after boot up. Appeared to be related to the wireless since it worked as normal when removing WiFi info, but I never got a confirmation on the defect from Nintendo. They just replaced my Switch. End to end, the process didn't take long. I paid $10 for expedited shipping, sent it off Monday morning, and got it back today.

HeavenlyE

It's crazy that after they had that discussion about a fighting game topping the NPD, Tekken 7 does it again a month later I hope Kyle brings it up on the podcast

I elaborated on my personal Twitter. System started locking up and crashing within a minute or two after boot up. Appeared to be related to the wireless since it worked as normal when removing WiFi info, but I never got a confirmation on the defect from Nintendo. They just replaced my Switch. End to end, the process didn't take long. I paid $10 for expedited shipping, sent it off Monday morning, and got it back today.

Cool, thank you for the quick response. I was worried it may have had something to do with overheating.

Dmax3901

Imagine if there was a legit breakdown at the beach house. Streaming for 12 hours (anniversary) and living together while streaming for 48 hours are very different things.

Is there gonna be alcohol? Like more than usual? Cause that would be AMAZING to watch.

Imagine just hearing screaming from off camera lol.

Imagine if there was a legit breakdown at the beach house. Streaming for 12 hours (anniversary) and living together while streaming for 48 hours are very different things.

Is there gonna be alcohol? Like more than usual? Cause that would be AMAZING to watch.

Imagine just hearing screaming from off camera lol.

I wonder that the twitch TOS is in regards to things like that. I've seen people buzzed on stream but nothing too nuts

Ultimadrago

I recently decided to check out the first couple seasons of Better Call Saul and am enjoying it. I don't find it quite as engaging as the mother series, but it's rather aware that it has its own story to tell. It handles the storytelling fairly well and still has some great cinematography to carry the delivery home.

Best part about Better Call Saul is that a certain side character (not Jimmy), one of my favorites from Breaking Bad, returns with his own story thread and backstory details. At first I thought it would be a mere cameo, but giving that badass their own major role throughout the seasons has been great. Thanks for the recommendation from those that responded to my inquiry in the thread earlier.

luchadork

i just want to counter balance mario's thoughts and say that damiani is my favorite ally. dude is hilarious, puts in work, knows a lot of shit, can be really insightful when critiquing things, and just adds a different timbre to eza.

MrMette

Yep. I wanted them to start early, with the time they're starting I'd expect/want half of them to go to sleep within a couple of hours.

I'm not sure the starting time matters that much. There is plenty of time so all of them can get on stream for a good amount of time anyway.
I'm sure most of them won't overdo it (although it sounds like a lot of them tend to have a sleeping schedule more akin to mine, which isn't really great).

The thing is that there are enough people in chat who will tell them to go to sleep anyway + they are all adults, I am sure it will be fine.

Mista Koo

I'm not sure the starting time matters that much. There is plenty of time so all of them can get on stream for a good amount of time anyway.
I'm sure most of them won't overdo it (although it sounds like they have a sleeping schedule more akin to mine, which isn't really great).
I assume most viewers would jump in at the start and at the end, so that's when I expect them all to be there.

MrMette

I assume most viewers would jump in at the start and at the end, so that's when I expect them all to be there.

Sure, I can see that. I am still not sure what I will do myself and what I will try to watch and what not. I took my holidays at the wrong time I guess as that's my last weekend of holidays, so probably no time to catch up the stuff I haven't seen the week after.

dickroach

Best way to do it is sleep in shifts then have some overlap where they're all on stream together for a few hours.

I think the only solution to the sleep issue would be to have a 4 player Smash Bros game once an hour where everyone is Jigglypuff with 1 life. the only attack they're allowed to use is the down-B, where Jigglypuff goes to sleep. winner gets to gets to sleep for 8 hours.

like, seriously, the only reasonable solution

_Ryo_

All I have to say is it's kinda funny how Killing/Guns/Violence = awesome. Swearing/a bit of lewdness = BAD

Like, come on. That's kind of an unfair double standard. No, I'm not trying to start a debate nor am I telling EZA how to do things. And I feel this way about a lot of media, not just EZA. Still it makes me disappointed.

Anyway, I love EZA even though I don't agree with their choices 100% of the time. But that's what love and respect is about, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom