• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDM |OT| Future Flo-Rida Hits

Hixx

house music post :p

Surprised no one has mentioned Surkin yet. Class electro/french house.

-Surkin - White Knight Two
-Surkin - Ultra Light

And Tensnake, heard Mainline which gave me an instant boner for it's 90s house sound, and ofcourse Coma Cat.

my absolute favourite track from last year Benediction from Hot Natured & Ali Love.

And Drums of Death.

Azari & III - Reckless With Your Love

I don't know if this has been posted (probably has) but everyone should give it a listen:

808 State - Pacific State

No Underworld posted yet. GAF you are letting me down :(

Jarnet87

There was a track that both Chuckie and David Guetta played in their set. The Lyrics were something like "a party without me, I make the beat that make you dance, a party without me I wanna see your f**king hands".

Anyone know what track that is? It starts at about 22 minutes during Guetta's weekend 2 set.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
OP has been updated with some Rukes photos. I had to put the images in quotes though to avoid messing up the width of the page.

Can I get some help?

Been listening to The Magician's Magic Tape 31 and cannot figure out the title of the first song, anybody know it?

You're in luck, I posted this in the Groundbreaking Electronic thread a few days ago:

TRACKLIST:
01 - 00:00 - HAIM - Falling (Duke Dumont Remix)
02 - 05:23 - Milk & Sugar - Tell Me Why (Ben Delay Remix)
03 - 10:26 - Lulu James - Closer (Kidnap Kid Remix)
04 - 13:55 - Satin Jackets - Only You (Rogue Vogue Remix)
05 - 18:58 - Bicep Vs Ejeca - You (Piano Mix)
06 - 24:36 - Hot Natured - Reverse Skydiving
07 - 29:24 - Rey & Kjavik feat. Julian Smith - No Choice
08 - 34:43 - Clancy - All Just In My Mind
09 - 38:43 - Decibels - Ruza (Munk Remix)
10 - 45:12 - Sky Ferreira - Everything Is Embarassing (Krystal Klear Remix)
11 - 50:26 - Night Works - Long Forgotten Boy (Erol Alkan's Extended Rework)

Edit: Damn, daviyoung.

I'm a big fan of the epic/main-room/melodic/whatever side of trance (Armin van Buuren, Above & Beyond, etc.), but let's not neglect the more progressive and psychedelic sides of the genre. That's the type of stuff that really does it for me. Here's a brilliant example of what I'm talking about, from one of my absolute top DJs. This mix is legendary:

John '00' Fleming's BBC Essential Mix from 2010

Starts off deep and serious and builds into a psychedelic frenzy.

If you like that set, I highly recommend you get ahold of episode 74 of JOOF's podcast, Global Trance Grooves, from June 2009. It's a two hour set from himself and the Digital Blonde (another amazing trance producer), and it's a MONSTER! I actually like it more than his Essential Mix. Couldn't find a decent link to a stream or download, but you can d/l it from iTunes.

OMG that essential mix is delicious.

Wazzim

Banned
Thanks for making the thread ilnadmy!

EDM is gaining a lot popularity. Armin van Buuren is even going to play at the day of the coronation of the new king and queen here in the Netherlands.

D23

There was a track that both Chuckie and David Guetta played in their set. The Lyrics were something like "a party without me, I make the beat that make you dance, a party without me I wanna see your f**king hands".

Anyone know what track that is? It starts at about 22 minutes during Guetta's weekend 2 set.

its Glowinthedark new song, which is still ID at the moment, not sure when its out probably sometimes later in the summer

GlowInTheDark-UMF ID

I just discovered Owl Vision right now, he released a new album yesterday you can listen to on soundcloud. Sort of like Gothic-electro-house, similar to JUSTICE i guess.

https://soundcloud.com/owlvision/sets/dystopia
artworks-000043924115-t87zby-t500x500.jpg

bomma_man

Really hoping Daft Punk tours this year after the release of RAM. Would love to see them at least once.

Thanks for the recommendations!

cos i'm meant to be doing an assignment...

Juan Maclean - Happy House
Holy Ghost - It Gets Dark
Cassius - La Mouche (DJ Falcon Remix)
Aeroplane - We Can Fly
Aeroplane - Whispers
Azari & III - Reckless With You're Love (Tensake Remix)
Daphni - Yes I Know
Royksopp - The Girl and the Robot
Tiger & Woods - Gin Nation
Todd Terje - Inspector Norse
Vitalic - La Rock 01
PNAU - Wild Strawberries (last two were my shit in my electro house, drug fueled youth)

Shaneus

You live in Melbourne, yeah? We need to meet up, have a few beers. PS. Seeing Terje play Inspector Norse live gave it a whole new energy. Bit miffed at the hipsters singing along to it, but it went off pretty severely regardless. Top gig.

Have you heard Vitalic's most recent joint? I dig it.
Stamina
Though I honestly don't know whether it fits into "EDM" or not, so nobody hurt me if it doesn't belong here :(

Toothpick

Finally an official thread for dance music! subscribed

I've been really into edm the last couple years. Been to a ton of shows and festivals in the SoCal area as well.
This month hasn't been too bad either: Deniz Koyu, Promise Land @ The Avalon, Laidback Luke @ Pomona Fox, Beyond Wonderland in San Bernardino, Porter Robinson @ Sutra (won free tickets!), and I got Coachella in 2 weeks! Nice to see Rukes posting in the thread too :)

If you're new to the music want to hear more, check out my Spotify playlist.
http://open.spotify.com/user/jorgexy/playlist/7GS8Vg5hEdV5jaXg6Ua87A
~350 tracks of my favorites and the mainstream stuff i could find on Spotify(mostly house and trancey sounds, not really into dubstep much). Feel free to subscribe, I'm constantly adding to it (;

Looking forward to discovering some new music here

bomma_man

You live in Melbourne, yeah? We need to meet up, have a few beers. PS. Seeing Terje play Inspector Norse live gave it a whole new energy. Bit miffed at the hipsters singing along to it, but it went off pretty severely regardless. Top gig.

Have you heard Vitalic's most recent joint? I dig it.
Stamina
Though I honestly don't know whether it fits into "EDM" or not, so nobody hurt me if it doesn't belong here :(

Nah Hobart (the scene here is as godawful as you might expect). Normally come up for a few festivals/gigs through the year but money's been tight since I went to Europe so I've only made it to Laneway in recent times (will see if anyone decent comes for Splendour).

Got a couple of house head mates living up there though, think they went to Moody Man the other week (and this barnstormer a few years back).

Ashhong

Finally an official thread for dance music! subscribed

I've been really into edm the last couple years. Been to a ton of shows and festivals in the SoCal area as well.
This month hasn't been too bad either: Deniz Koyu, Promise Land @ The Avalon, Laidback Luke @ Pomona Fox, Beyond Wonderland in San Bernardino, Porter Robinson @ Sutra (won free tickets!), and I got Coachella in 2 weeks! Nice to see Rukes posting in the thread too :)

If you're new to the music want to hear more, check out my Spotify playlist.
http://open.spotify.com/user/jorgexy...EdV5jaXg6Ua87A
~350 tracks of my favorites and the mainstream stuff i could find on Spotify(mostly house and trancey sounds, not really into dubstep much). Feel free to subscribe, I'm constantly adding to it (;

Looking forward to discovering some new music here

Welcome! We seem to share the same events and tastes, should meet up for events! My next one is going to be W&W at Exchange in a month. Taking a small break until then haha. We should have a socal GAF meetup at massives and shows if there are enough of us

And I'm uploading all my mixes in case I can get some trance converts in here, but in the meantime if anybody is interested in trance but doesn't know where to start take a listen to my mix. There's a few different styles of trance so let me know which songs you liked and I'll make similar recommendations

www.soundcloud.com/ashhong

Shaneus

Nah Hobart (the scene here is as godawful as you might expect). Normally come up for a few festivals/gigs through the year but money's been tight since I went to Europe so I've only made it to Laneway in recent times (will see if anyone decent comes for Splendour).

Got a couple of house head mates living up there though, think they went to Moody Man the other week (and this barnstormer a few years back).
I'm not sure what Hobart's like, but there's every chance you know some people I know, a good mate of which moved to Melbourne late last year. Hell, I actually played down there with him MANY years ago (many = ~5 or so). Next time you're up here, definitely hit me up, there's always good shit on! This Sunday is Superpitcher... but I think that kind of talk may be frowned upon here ;(

Club banger, *probably* my favourite track of 2012. Got a bit overplayed toward the end... but still, great:
Duke Dumont - The Giver

Or maybe this track was. Not sure if it fits in this thread or not, but it just won Best Indie Dance track for 2012 at WMC so I guess that counts for something:
Scandal - Just Let Me Dance (Maxxi Soundsystem Remix)

One more, track I only discovered last year (thank you, Forza Horizon leaked trailer) that just rips shit over the original, without taking anything away from it:
The Chemical Brothers - Hey Boy Hey Girl (Soulwax remix)

Ominym

Banned
Here's one of the coolest concerts I've never been too. It's only about a half hour and really worth the watch for the visuals alone. deadmau5 Don't be Afraid of the Dark

Also, here's two TrippleJ mixes from Madeon and Porter Robinson, both are great.

Madeon
Porter Robinson

I'm pretty fond of this guy called OVERWERK. He releases a lot of his stuff for free, so if you like any of these you can get it off his links.

Daybreak (GoPro H3RO edit) (Just wait till a minute in.)
Alive
Buzzin

I'm also a big fan of mashups, so here's two guys I'd recommend giving a listen, and just some other random stuff I've been listening to otherwise.

Kap Slap:

Back to School mix
Spring Break Mix 2013

JRowe:

Call of the Wild Ones
Nitro Party with Friends

Assorted goods:

Die Young - Dank Lazers remix
Breaking Bad - No Pets Allowed
Blast Wave - Al Bizzare
Monkey See Monkey Do (Nom De Strip Remix) - Tommy Trash
Vice - DallasK
Elements (2013 Reload) - Dinka & Leventina

The irony of the mainstream thread being more exclusive and adversarial than the "underground" thread is delicious as an observer.

What if we don't post in your thread because we don't like your music, and thus find the thread irrelevant?

Then you should probably make a new thread instead whose title encompasses even the music you want to exclude.

realise the OP didn't do this and the thread's backstory is admirable, just an unfortunate title haha

Should add a 6 hour Levels vid in OP

I prefer to endlessly listen to this version myself lol. <3 cowbell

Well all the clubs where i live play the stuff in this thread, but i try to go to other places (mainly Melbourne, was lucky enough to go to London and Berlin recently) that have clubs that play stuff from the other thread ;p

i get what you're saying but it's pretty confusing, especially given it means nothing to a non-US audience. maybe 'mainstream edm ot' would be better, if there needs to be a separate thread at all (if any of the mods cared about music i doubt there would be).

Also in Aus and I get what you're saying 100% on both counts.

When I go out to your average appeal to all bases nightclub they play levels, usher, pitbull and more from those styles of music except with more current examples heh (and then replay them for 6 months milking them forever). And it's fun. You sing along cause you've been exposed to these songs so much you already know the words and the lyrics are simple and you dance and have a good time. I wouldn't listen to it on my own time though I don't think.

And that's fine, but sometimes, you can take a risk, step outside of your comfort zone, go to somewhere more "boutique" who has someone playing other than the house djs and try something a little different and surprisingly, enjoy it and it can be just as fun. I can't sentence good.

this feature from mixmag is pretty relevant.

on your second point:
mmm I think it's becoming a bit of a US thing to do, applying a label to something and that label kinda works but kinda doesn't. (see also: dubstep)

Saw a photo today of Skrillex in the studio with my boy Flume. Will be watching what comes of this with interest. Hopefully the skrillex input is more like his new song where he is Skrill from the UK and less wub wub.

Great thread.
I'm quite into EDM since the last 2 years or so. I listen to a lot of sub genres (electronic, electro house, UK garage, techno, minimal, dubstep, drum and bass). I'm more into the "underground" stuff like Photek, Flume, SBTRKT, Disclosure, Kavinsky and Daft Punk (well, not that underground but not that known). I'll keep most of those artists in the underground thread. Doesn't mean I don't like the more known artists though, I saw Swedish House Mafia live at the One Last Tour, loved it. I would love to see more artists live, sadly most of my friends aren't into EDM, let alone festivals.

I've heard of all the others but who's Daft Punk?

Replying with my most played Azari & III song Hungry For The Power (Jamie Jones remix)

Can I get some help?

Been listening to The Magician's Magic Tape 31 and cannot figure out the title of the first song, anybody know it?

<3 duke dumont
So much better than the original.
D/led the tape the other day but haven't got to it yet, gonna do that now.

Cagey

Banned
The irony of the mainstream thread being more exclusive and adversarial than the "underground" thread is delicious as an observer.

I'm sure you note that the conflict is a result of posters who dislike the thread posting their dislike, rather than the posters who like the thread being antagonistic from the start. Still as scrumptious?

Then you should probably make a new thread instead whose title encompasses even the music you want to exclude.

realise the OP didn't do this and the thread's backstory is admirable, just an unfortunate title haha

Yet the title and thread were clear to pretty much all the posters it was designed to interest, and the only posters having issue were the ones from the original thread.

Again, instigating for no reason.

It's so weird... I never associate you with liking dance music, but your avatar... yeah.

PS. This version is way better.

haha oh yeah I remember that one

Shame on you for not knowing the soulwax remix of hey boy, hey girl till last year!

2ptc3

2ptcV

I'm somewhat of a fan.

edit:

I'm sure you note that the conflict is a result of posters who dislike the thread posting their dislike, rather than the posters who like the thread being antagonistic from the start. Still as scrumptious?

I wouldn't call gdt's confusion posting his dislike and yes.

Eidan

I wouldn't call gdt's confusion posting his dislike and yes.

Um what is going on here? Is this the supposed to replace the other EDM thread? The music here kind of sucks tbh. Where's the house music? Deep house....techno....Scuba...Blawan....Bicep.....Jacques Greene. Who wants to talk about Aviici.

As Cagey said, it was people from the other thread who decided to come in here and bitch about this thread's existence. And why? Because of the goddamn title? Give me a break.

Cagey

Banned
I'm filling out a list of Ultra sets I missed. Who was worth catching?

I've only heard so far:
- Avicii's epic troll job (trolling so good/bad Kanye would interrupt Taylor Swift to defend it)
- Deadmau5
- Bassnectar
- ASOT (all of it)

As Cagey said, it was people from the other thread who decided to come in here and bitch about this thread's existence. And why? Because of the goddamn title? Give me a break.

Yep. Hiding behind a retroactive claim of confusion over semantics is such unnecessary dishonesty.

Appleman

I just discovered Owl Vision right now, he released a new album yesterday you can listen to on soundcloud. Sort of like Gothic-electro-house, similar to JUSTICE i guess.

https://soundcloud.com/owlvision/sets/dystopia
artworks-000043924115-t87zby-t500x500.jpg

As a Justice fan, this is pretty decent, I dig it.

Also, Re: UMF sets, I reaaaaaaaaally liked Madeon's which seems to get overlooked a bit. Was similar to when I saw him in December, but I can't remember too much of that haha

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
deadmau5's set was great but it takes a while to get going. Bassnectar I heard was good but no one can seem to find it online. Same with the Cirez D set, I really want to get my hands on that but it's nowhere to be found.

Edit: Envio - For You (The Blizzard Remix) is amazing if you like chilled out trance (i.e. not like the W&W stuff you hear these days). It really hits its stride around 3:30. I'm gonna look up more stuff from this group.

Shaneus

Yep. Hiding behind a retroactive claim of confusion over semantics is such unnecessary dishonesty.
Pretty sure that most of the people who popped their head in here and were somewhat confused (like myself) were genuinely so because it was interpreted that "Electronic Dance Music" is any kind of dance music you can dance to. It was a big surprise personally to find that the term only encompassed a relatively narrow field of what "electronic music" fits into (which is almost infinitely massive), as I'm sure it was to a handful of others.

I think why a lot of people are on the back foot about this is because of seeing posts like "Oh good, finally an EDM thread" when to them, an already appropriate one exists. Then comments such as "This is the general EDM that's less intimidating to new comers, if you want to be a music snob stick to your other thread bullshit" pop up and of course, people get defensive.

Personally, I don't have a problem in the slightest with this type of thread existing (in concept), in light of the knowledge that "EDM" means something very specific (compared to what the acronym literally stands for). It's people assuming that everyone should know what "EDM" is and how it's different to the "Electronic music thread" that gets on my goat. Perhaps to avoid future people from posting things that belong in the other thread in here, change the thread title to "Mainstream EDM". After all, it only started because of how that acronym was interpreted (and understandably so, IMO). Better to have a few people in here going "Well, what other kind of EDM is there?" than newbies posting "Imma let you all finish, but Aphex Twin is the best electronic dance music act of ALL TIME" and getting shouted down for it.

It's the same reason you can't arc up at someone for not knowing that a "thong" in the US has a completely different meaning to a "thong" in Australia. If I created a thread called "Thongs |OT|" and lost my shit because everyone thought I was talking about these:
2TAYDWfm.jpg

when I was actually talking about these:
fr8fweem.jpg

then I'd look like a bit of a dick (and rightly so, IMO).

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty sure that most of the people who popped their head in here and were somewhat confused (like myself) were genuinely so because it was interpreted that "Electronic Dance Music" is any kind of dance music you can dance to. It was a big surprise personally to find that the term only encompassed a relatively narrow field of what "electronic music" fits into (which is almost infinitely massive), as I'm sure it was to a handful of others.

I think why a lot of people are on the back foot about this is because of seeing posts like "Oh good, finally an EDM thread" when to them, an already appropriate one exists. Then comments such as "This is the general EDM that's less intimidating to new comers, if you want to be a music snob stick to your other thread bullshit" pop up and of course, people get defensive.

Personally, I don't have a problem in the slightest with this type of thread existing (in concept), in light of the knowledge that "EDM" means something very specific (compared to what the acronym literally stands for). It's people assuming that everyone should know what "EDM" is and how it's different to the "Electronic music thread" that gets on my goat. Perhaps to avoid future people from posting things that belong in the other thread in here, change the thread title to "Mainstream EDM". After all, it only started because of how that acronym was interpreted (and understandably so, IMO). Better to have a few people in here going "Well, what other kind of EDM is there?" than newbies posting "Imma let you all finish, but Aphex Twin is the best electronic dance music act of ALL TIME" and getting shouted down for it.

It's the same reason you can't arc up at someone for not knowing that a "thong" in the US has a completely different meaning to a "thong" in Australia. If I created a thread called "Thongs |OT|" and lost my shit because everyone thought I was talking about these:
(image removed)
when I was actually talking about these:
(image removed)
then I'd look like a bit of a dick (and rightly so, IMO).

Agreed with all of this. "Mainstream EDM" would be a much clearer and more accurate title. I don't like the type of music in the other thread, but I can certainly see how confusing a general "EDM" title is. It would be like creating a "Rap" thread but then telling people they should only post about Jay-Z and Kanye because when "most people" think of rap music that's the first thing that comes to mind. It's awfully presumptuous.

Cagey

Banned
Yet even the quickest of glances at the thread's opening post would tell you all you need to know.

If you made Thongs |OT| and I clicked expecting bikini bottoms, and instead saw sandals, I'd get it and move on.

I wouldn't linger and mock.

thabiz

Yet even the quickest of glances at the thread's opening post would tell you all you need to know.

If you made Thongs |OT| and I clicked expecting bikini bottoms, and instead saw sandals, I'd get it and move on.

so one poster mocked. get over it.

the thread title confused the hell out of me. anyone that is a certain age, grew up with EDM as the all encompassing meaning to dance music. not pop dance. mainstream dance. it was just dance.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member

What exactly do you have against adding a word to the title? It's simple, and objectively much clearer. Why not do it?

Top Bottom