• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony |OT| Monokuma's Battlegrounds

DarkStream

I had to take two weeks off because of life. Now, I'm back! I'm about to continue Deadly Life Ch 4. (The death just occurred).

I am excited to report back and finally be able to uncover the tantalizing spoiler bars that have yet to be clicked on.

Just finished the game. So good. SO GOOD! I thought they'd completely lost the magic with the disaster that was DR3, but I couldn't have been more wrong. Easily my favourite entry in the series, easily my GOTY.

bigkrev

Chapter 3 Trial Start
I was scared that stupid Atua girl was going to survive the whole game,
so I was really happy to see them actually make her evil/manipulative, and kill her

Had a minor heart attack right at the end of Deadly life when it looks Kokichi is dead.

Ferrio

Banned
Chapter 3 Over.

I was really glad Angie got killed, but Tenko's death stung. The trial itself was fairly easy, but I got caught up in one of those "I know the solution but not how to say it" moments. It was during the object spot portion, when you're suppose to point to the hole in the floor. I knew there was a hole and I knew it was near the corner, but I couldn't actually see it in the photo.

This was also the weakest motive I've seen in any of these games, completely out of nowhere.

I think I still prefer DR2 over V3 after thinking about it for a couple weeks now. The cases in V3 felt a little stale (end game spoilers)
even if that was somewhat the point,
and toe-toe-toe, I have to give case 5 to 2 over V3, though I appreciate the effort to out-crazy.

There are a lot of things to like about V3 like best protagonist and best UI; I really like how you get to see your character in the frame in the corner rather than just always behind the camera. More visual novels should do that. I've never been a fan of it feeling a game's trying to make "you" the protagonist.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
It's a small thing, but yes, I really like how I could actually see who I was playing as & their reactions when talking, especially since it helps add to the character to know how they truly feel when talking to someone, especially since...well, you, the main character is doing a lot of talking.

Hell, not gonna lie, I kind of wish we got 1.2 Reload after V3 so they could've implemented some improvements from V3 into those games, like updated UIs.

DR2's Case 5 is still one of my favorites, but I'll probably give Case 6 of V3 a very close second with Case 1 3rd place. I don't know if I prefer 2 or V3 (they're pretty even at this point in terms of the main game), but this is still better than the first game.

I feel like I'd have to sit down, really look at each element of each game, & give points to 2 & V3 as to which did what better. For example, DR2's executions were.....weird & kind of lackluster for the most part (which could be due to the fact in Japan, they were aiming for a C/15+ rating compared to a D/17+ rating), but V3 was a great return to form.

Grexeno

I feel like I'd have to sit down, really look at each element of each game, & give points to 2 & V3 as to which did what better. For example, DR2's executions were.....weird & kind of lackluster for the most part (which could be due to the fact in Japan, they were aiming for a C/15+ rating compared to a D/17+ rating), but V3 was a great return to form.

Frankly, after the first execution of DR 1 they got weird & lackluster.

Chapter 3 Over.

I was really glad Angie got killed, but Tenko's death stung. The trial itself was fairly easy, but I got caught up in one of those "I know the solution but not how to say it" moments. It was during the object spot portion, when you're suppose to point to the hole in the floor. I knew there was a hole and I knew it was near the corner, but I couldn't actually see it in the photo.

This was also the weakest motive I've seen in any of these games, completely out of nowhere.

Let me guess, you got stuck with this:
seesaw effect

Kodaka directed very few executions after the first one, in V3 however he directed all of them, and after the weird nonsensical executions in DR2, it's a massive improvement

I might have shit on parts of this game earlier on in this thread (and understandably so) but I still really love this game and hope that the studio makes more VN mystery games like this. It sparked my interest in buying more VN's to fill the void. If anything me shitting on parts of this game show the strength of the writing of many of the characters because you really care for them, so it's actually praiseworthy that they got such a strong emotional reaction from many people like me even if I utterly disliked the early twist. Kodaka has earned a well deserved break after creating so many games that I really enjoyed. Hope that's not the last we see of the series, actually. Some really interesting characters didn't get enough screen time
especially Rantaro. I wouldn't mind a game that has us playing as him, he was such an interesting Hajime notalent/Nagito like dude, he was wasted by getting killed so early, all chapter 1 deaths here are wasted potential IMO
. Salmon team is perfect to wash out the despair, by the way. It's my headcanon, fam.

Even made a thread asking for more detective/mystery VN suggestions with some great choices here if you want to fill that DR void like I do.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1448822

Also whilst watching YT vids of people playing as best girl Miu in the board game mode and watching her interactions with the other characters in the series, her Mikan meeting was....actually quite disturbing considering Mikan's character.

I want to add Nagito, Hajime, Rantaro, Kaito, Miu, Maki and Kaede to my RPG mode squad. Best bros and girls all together. Hajime still the best protagonist. Nothing can beat him. DR2 and V3 spoilers:
He said 'fuck this' to hope and despair long before it was cool

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Fair enough. One or two in DR1 were super weird (i.e. the Case 2 one was TOO over the top & I was just all "....HUUHHHH..."), but DR2's were a bit too silly where I was just like "...o...k?" & didn't get a sense of "oh god, that must've been painful" where as most of them in V3 were better at that.

Case 3 was probably the one one where I was "hahaha, okay, now this is just getting silly" though Case 2 probably had the weakest one.

Ferrio

Banned
Let me guess, you got stuck with this:
seesaw effect

Nope, got that one pretty quick. It was a weird way to phrase it though. I couldn't find the damn hole you're suppose to point out in the picture. I knew it existed and in the corner,
but couldn't find the exact spot I was suppose to click on.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Nope, got that one pretty quick. It was a weird way to phrase it though. I couldn't find the damn hole you're suppose to point out in the picture. I knew it existed and in the corner,
I ran into this problem as well, especially since
I selected the hole, but the game said it was wrong, turns out it's a very specific spot for it to count, which was probably the only time I had trouble pointing something out in a picture.

GSR

The weirdest thing about (chapter 3)
"seesaw effect"
is that IIRC in the Japanese version it was just
"seesaw"
without the qualifier.

It took me 1 and 1/2 games to figure it out but the reticle changes when you are over a selectable object. It adds a diamond effect inside the circle.

epmode

Actually
the OTP
is something more like this (Chapter 3 spoilers)

Spoiler tagging IMG links doesn’t work on mobile; The picture just appears normally.

I’m glad that I already finished the game!

If you want to spoiler tag and image, just include it as a regular URL, not an IMG.

Taruranto

Chapter 2

It kinda feels similar to DR2's second chapter. I guess he died because what was in the motive videos.

Kaito is growing on me, but I bet he's going to die, he keeps setting up death flags for himself.

caliph95

What is the point of the reaction voices, because my got a has a problem with the right stick it keeps popping up and it doesn't do anything but annoy me

Taruranto

Chapter 2 end

I had a hunch it was Kirumi because the way the game keep mentioning the curtains, even though they ended up not being relevant in the trial.

The whole murder felt needlessly complicated, to be honest. I don't even understand why she felt like she had to move the body.

bigkrev

Chapter 3 Trial Over
Wow, we are at a point where almost all of the characters I disliked from the Demo- Kaede, Angie, and Kiyo- are dead! All that we have left is Shuichi, who I've completely turned the corner on over the course of the game, and Kaito, who I don't really hate

What is the point of the reaction voices, because my got a has a problem with the right stick it keeps popping up and it doesn't do anything but annoy me
Get lost.
I think it's supposed to be a Japanese thing about reacting to the person you're talking to but it doesn't really do anything

How far are you into the game? Which are your favorite characters? Your most hated ones?

Chapter 2 end

I had a hunch it was Kirumi because the way the game keep mentioning the curtains, even though they ended up not being relevant in the trial.

The whole murder felt needlessly complicated, to be honest. I don't even understand why she felt like she had to move the body.

The body had to be moved in rder to create an alibi. it would have worked had gonta not climbed on the stage. The worst thing you want is for the group to have no one to suspect

Taruranto

The body had to be moved in rder to create an alibi. it would have worked had gonta not climbed on the stage. The worst thing you want is for the group to have no one to suspect

Chapter 2 spoilers

But the thing that messed up her plan was her attempt to create an alibi, she left clues everywhere, on the sink, in the pool and even the glass piece in the tank. The murder itself was pretty much spotless.

Ferrio

Banned
Chapter 4 Investigation start.

Poor Miu. I had a hunch she was going to be killed this chapter, soon as she started talking about breaking us out. I liked the character a lot when the game first started, but her shtick started wearing thin and getting more extreme. By the time she started talking about taking picture of her shit, I was out. Initial guess with no clues yet: Koichi is behind the killing but not the killer.

Chapter 4 Investigation start.

Poor Miu. I had a hunch she was going to be killed this chapter, soon as she started talking about breaking us out. I liked the character a lot when the game first started, but her shtick started wearing thin and getting more extreme. By the time she started talking about taking picture of her shit, I was out. Initial guess with no clues yet: Koichi is behind the killing but not the killer.

Ah, you're just behind where I am.

The shit picture thing wasn't too much for me, but she was starting to get a bit annoying this chapter. Probably because she was up to something though. Overall she's still one of my favorites.

I don't know who the killer is tbh. It's just too obvious to be Kokichi (sp?)

Vigamox

Finished the game and wanted to post some thoughts about each case. I went in completely free of spoilers from the JP release.

Chapter 1:
People had been saying Kaede would die and be replaced as soon as the first character reveal trailer was released from TGS last year, so that was already in my mind the entire time. I expected her to be a victim though rather than a killer, so it was a pleasant surprise. I enjoyed her character, which made her execution all the more unbearable.

Chapter 2:
The minute the characters started relying on Kirumi and telling her to do stuff for them I pegged her as a victim or a killer for the chapter. I didn't expect Ryoma to be offed so early though. During the investigation, when you find the black cloth in the pool, I immediately knew for certain that the culprit was Kirumi.I liked her as well, and seeing her break composure at the end was pretty jarring.

Chapter 3:
I liked the idea of the student council thing, where they break into two conflicting groups. Maybe they can explore this idea a little more in the next game. I was also hoping that the new rule would mean that there would be two killers, and one would survive into the next chapter. It would create really interesting character interactions, knowing that a certain character is a murderer.

Chapter 4:
The investigation phase was really weird with the virtual game, but it was a nice change of pace. Miu being so pushy was pretty telling that she was up to no good. I honestly had no idea who the culprit was here, and was pretty sad it was Gonta. He probably had no idea what was happening the entire time and then just gets executed. It was pretty depressing.

Chapter 5:
This case was also really interesting and I liked the idea behind it (creating a case that Monokuma didn't know the answer to). I hadn't expected Kokichi to go out like that though.

Chapter 6:
At the start of the trial, I started to realize that the only character still alive whose talent wasn't really used in the story was Tsumugi. Himiko had chapter 2's magic act, Maki had her big true talent reveal, and Keebo was flying around blowing things up, but Tsumugi's talent had never come into play except for a demonstration of cospox. So I began to finally suspect her as the mastermind at the same time the game wanted me to find out, which was really cool. The big twist was interesting as well, though I'm unsure if I like it or not. I was actually kind of enjoying the story of them being blasted off into space and then being the last people alive before the fourth wall breaking started happening.

Overall though, I really enjoyed the game and the bonus content also seems like a fun way to waste some time.

Picked the game up at launch on Vita but needed to finally finish Danganronpa 2 after owning it for two years. From there I decided to watch the mediocre anime prior to starting V3 which I don't entirely regret. Just hit trial 2 and I'm enjoying the cast but (Ch.1 Spoilers)
the "twist" is incredibly convoluted and lame. Maybe it makes sense later in the game but for now, it screams poor writing. Was elated we finally had a female lead annnnd,
eh. Also, I find it hard to believe the unknown ultimate kid is actually dead. His visual design and apparent knowledge of the situation screams late game reveals of some sort.

Chapter 2 spoilers

But the thing that messed up her plan was her attempt to create an alibi, she left clues everywhere, on the sink, in the pool and even the glass piece in the tank. The murder itself was pretty much spotless.

I will not deny that , i had the same reaction.

Still you do want to frame someone in this game. What would the trial be if she hadn't moved the body ? fingers pointed at everyone ......she was dumb because the story required it. You can ask : why didn't she put the net rope back in place after using it , being an ultimate , she most certainly have the skill to do so.

But then again , if you factor in the fact that she isn't accustomed to those things ( murder and all ) , she was as clumsy as one unprepared to do so as she probably was

Lusankya

Yes! Finally I beat that damn Monolith game on hard!

Holy shit, was that one annoying trophy.

Never thought it would be this exact try which would net me 4900+ points when it started with two skeletons I couldn't excavate...

Finished chapter 4.

When the pieces were being put together and the truth became more and more clear I really despaired. Poor Gonta :(

Kokichi has got to be one of my favourite video game villains. He's been great from the very beginning but he's now really starting to shine.

Super excited for the final 2 chapters and whatever the twist is.

88Titan88

Okay now, chapter 5 was amazing.
I'm surprised so much was revealed so far, with a whole final chapter ahead of me. thisgonbegood.gif

caliph95

Danganronpa-Ultra-Despair-Girls-2-2.png

Danganronpa-Ultra-Despair-Girls-2-4.png

AwShucks

I beat it last night. Loved it for the most part. There is one chapter I hated and I was salty about some characters dying early on, but the game really gets good midway through. I do think the first two game had better characters overall, but I had a few I liked here as well. And it suffers the Danganronpa issue of everything coming out of left field so you can rarely, if ever, solve trials before the actual debates.

bigkrev

Chapter 4 Deadly Life
The VR game was completely unexpected and cute! I think it overstayed it's welcome slightly, but I'm happy to see it existed. I'm playing on the Vita- does the load time between rooms in the building exist on PC/Steam? I thought it was funny when they made a loading zone joke, when there were loading zones in the main building.

Also, RIP Miu. You were perfect

caliph95

Get lost.
I think it's supposed to be a Japanese thing about reacting to the person you're talking to but it doesn't really do anything

How far are you into the game? Which are your favorite characters? Your most hated ones?
First trial

Favourite so far is Miu and Kokichi

I don't dislike anyone yet

ALRIGHT SCREW THIS, IT'S 12:56 AM BUT I'M GONNA DO IT

Before beginning
Not sure what the crazy twist will end up being, but I seriously hope neither Kaede's twin sister nor Junko are the mastermind :x It has to be a girl at least..

TRIAL 6 BEGIN

Ohhh so Kaede's not the culprit, that's Shuichi's intention, interesting! Lol cool that we got a sword battle against the Monokubs. MAN I love Shuichi's badass sprite. Ohhh so the pink fiber comes from her vest, if only I could recognize colors lol Nice, so Kaede's plan failed. I remember someone here complaining about how her plan could have certainly failed, HA!

Nooooo Monodam! Now I feel bad for poor Kaede :( NOOOO not Kaede's younger twin sister :x One of the participants of the killing game... Tsumugi, Maki or Himiko. I can't really see any of them as the mastermind tho.... What about Keebo? Can he enter the girls' room? Or what if the mastermind already died? Or pretends to be dead?

Ohhhh the alibis from back then? Let's see... Maki was with Kaito's group, Himiko was with Tenko I think? Tsumugi was with Kiyo and others, Keebo and Ryoma were not seen. OH during one of the times someone left the room I think. DON'T TELL ME THAT WAS TSUMUGI. OH GOD NO NO NO NONO

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

source.gif

Ferrio

Banned
Finished Chapter 4.

A very disappointing chapter. When the VR game was revealed I was expecting a more complex trial like the strawberry house from DR2. Unfortunately I found it very boring overall, and some of the reveals took way too long such the world looping which I thought was extremely obvious. The taxi minigame has already worn out it's welcome too, it's a really bad replacement for the snowboarding minigame in DR2. Gonta got such a raw deal, and even after the reveal of the motive I still thought it was not in line with the character. It didn't really feel earned.

Here's hoping chapter 5 is better.

Top Bottom