• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jason Schreier: Visceral's game was not canned because it was single-player

Orca

And it doesn't change the fact that EA let out a statement basically shitting on and condemning linear single player experiences as if they are disgusting things that must never be allowed to be created.

I cannot see how you release a statement like that and then release the game as the exact thing you said had to change. If this game ends up as a linear single player action game I would be surprised.

I feel like you might have read a little more into that statement than was actually on paper.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I can sorta understand why Naughty Dog thought the last of us wasn't going to be too hot.

Marketing was probably on their ass about how big of a role ellie had and that probably hurt some motivation.

The gameplay was fairly generic, like if you were just testing out various scenarios over and over the game really didn't do anything special at all and there wasn't honestly a lot of room for creativity which is a hallmark of stealth games.

What made The Last of Us good was the characters and world coming all together while you moved forward. The gameplay side of things may have been super average compared to other stealth games but the presentation and characters/va's carry the game super hard.

With all that said I really enjoyed my time with it, not as much as most people that rate it as one of the best things ever made since I feel it's a pretty average game at the end of the day, it's a good testament to a tv type / movie type story done well in a game, But I'm looking forward to part 2.

In response to the polygon thing, yeah Single Player games are going no where. Even if you are the type of casual player that jumps on whatever the current hot talk piece is there will always be a single player game that will pop up in that climate from time to time because people dont always want to play with someone else and want their own personal adventures, challenges, or a story they can interact with

So does this mean that Amy was the problem and EA was actually in the right?

From what I understand the project was started years before Mrs. Hennig joined it, and didn't roll particularly well. So regardless of how did she do there, it's quite inconceivable she was "the" problem.

Thanks to Jason, I mean, the Press Sneak Fuck, for clarifying. He really needs to start dishing more dirt on this though.

From my armchair analyst perspective this looks like a massive leadership failure at EA.

It's no wonder their games take tens or hundreds of millions of dollars to make if they can only decide that a game isn't likely to meet expectations after "only" 3 to 4 years of development time!

WTF!? How are they running things over there? Monkeys on Dev kits and baboons acting as Project Managers?

Surely they're working to milestones or have KPIs to track development effectiveness? This could very well be the reason why they're shuttering that studio. It's beyond help.

Give a bad idea to a great team and they'll make a success out of it. Give a killer idea to a bad team and they'll find a way to fuck it up in ways that you'd never imagine.

You can't get much more of a killer idea than Star Wars. It's a license to print money. So...

I guess to leave a more pleasant taste in shareholders mouths it's easier to sell this bump in the roadmap as a pivot away from single player to GaaS. Instead of the real reason that a huge part of the leadership hierarchy are incompetent. Of course, as usual, the rank and file employees suffer for this. Instead of heads rolling in the C suite.

panda-zebra

So does this mean that Amy was the problem and EA was actually in the right?

It's never that black & white.

There's absolutely no way to tell and you shouldn't speculate in that direction at all.

Well I don't think GAF is shy of or affraid of a little speculation, especially when there looks to be potential similarities. It looks like EA gave this project every chance, but staff falling over themselves to leave the studio in recent months tells its own story.

Put it this way, I have a hard time imagining a clamouring for studios looking to Hennig to helm their AAA projects any time soon.

Nutter

Given EA's statement it was difficult to think otherwise though.

I'm at least a little glad that this wasn't the reason. The whole situation is still horrible and I wish the team members at Visceral good fortune in their future endeavours.

You really think EA is going to throw people under the bus by saying that their game was a complete mess and potentially stop these folks from getting a new job?

I never understood the attitude GAF has against PR. Its PR, because it needs to be.

coS4JC3.gif

All those meltdowns and assumptions about the game being turned into a MP focused GAAS tho.....

You know it will.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Mass Effect Andromeda failed because the studio spent three years trying to make a randomly generated, story driven, single player RPG and it turned out that a game like that would suck. Then they only had like 18 months to make the game that it became.

Not sure the Star Wars game's failure was too comparable.
Eh a little more complicated than that. Parts of ME:A were working really well in FB, (driving and large environments). others weren't, (animation systems) and had to be built from scratch by an inexperienced team. So it wasn't just the testing of procedural generation that screwed the project.

daveo42

Banned
The more you know.

The crunch on the game was kind of insane. The documentary they released around the launch of the game showed them making massive gameplay changes late in development that vastly improved it. I think prior to the changes, the comments based on the team was that the game was competent, but just not fun.

Game development is hard and crunch is a nightmare.

Cartho

I kind of expected this to be honest. SP games make plenty of money. It’s not that it was SP, it was clearly in an absolute mess. As people have said, the fact that we’d seen next to nothing of it should have set alarm bells ringing.

jayu26

Until weeks before release, the directors of The Last Of Us thought it was such a disaster that it'd kill their careers.

I'm sure there were plenty of directors who thought their game was a disaster.......and it actually turned out to be a disaster.

At the same time, Bungie thought Destiny was going to score in the high 80's or 90's on Metacritic.

I'm not sure what you can really surmise about a creator's opinion of his project prior to release.

That's my point. Can't determine a game's quality, no matter how disastrous the project is, until it's done.

Hmm, could it be that because of Mass Effect Andromeda, EA just got cold feet when things weren't moving smoothly and wouldn't even give them a chance to finish? Or was the game just bad? Because, Sony's publishing side never showed any reservations when it came to The Last of Us regardless of what people at Naughty Dog themselves thought.

Verchod

It's crazy really. You'd think a single player story based star wars game would be an obvious big seller, and a no brainer. And yet it seems hard as hell to pull off.

How many great single player star wars games have there been that have been good?

Sanke__

There was never any indication of it becoming multiplayer

They said they wanted to butcher a story based singleplayer game and turn it into a generic open world game with loot crates

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
It's crazy really. You'd think a single player story based star wars game would be an obvious big seller, and a no brainer. And yet it seems hard as hell to pull off.

How many great single player star wars games have there been that have been good?

The bioware games, that clone wars fps, the old jedi academy and dark forces games. The insanely hard snes games, the rouge squadron stuff. The star wars arcade game from the early 2000's

This issue and the way it has been reported the past few days highlights the difference between a quality journo like Schreier and a shock jock like Sterling.

Gamezone

Gold Member
I'm pretty sure people return more often to Witcher 3 and GTA rather than The Force Unleashed. An open world single player Star Wars game isn't bad, just do it right.

Necron

Knights of the Old Republic?

Totally agree, not blaming GAF per se, but I'd like to think we're fortunate enough to have industry folks hang out and should hold ourselves to a higher standard, that's all.

Completely agree. It was impossible to tell people to chill out and wait for more information rather than create a narrative they can't prove is related to this story. It's okay to not have an opinion right away.

Some Nobody

coS4JC3.gif

All those meltdowns and assumptions about the game being turned into a MP focused GAAS tho.....

I normally tend to agree with you because you usually have a good point but...this is needlessly smug. There's no reason to be this confident when we actually don't know WHAT the game will eventually become.

Papacheeks

Banned
Mass Effect Andromeda failed because the studio spent three years trying to make a randomly generated, story driven, single player RPG and it turned out that a game like that would suck. Then they only had like 18 months to make the game that it became.

Not sure the Star Wars game's failure was too comparable.

That is untrue. Well some of it.

Their issue was management, and the talent they had were all green. And instead of having the management physically there, they had long distance management instead.

The veterans of Mass effect were on ANthem not Andromda. You can tell straight up from the animations of that game.

Them trying to do the animations in phases didn't help them either.

jdstorm

Banned
You really think EA is going to throw people under the bus by saying that their game was a complete mess and potentially stop these folks from getting a new job?

I never understood the attitude GAF has against PR. Its PR, because it needs to be.

In a seemingly comparable situation Microsoft had no problem saying Platinum "missed milestones" in regards to Scalebound. Generally "Missed Milestones" is the buzzword for a troubled development.

Every indication from EA's PR speak was that they cancelled a perfectly good game because they felt it was a poor buisness proposition. Maybe the "Focus Groups" section was meant to indicate a rocky development. However "Focus Groups" especially when in regards to big AAA titles are usually seen as a negative source of feedback and often blamed for good games becoming generic. So to say focus groups hated a game inspires the idea that it had an original idea that was not compatible with focus testing. Combine this with no talk of missed milestones or other problems and you in PR speak have just said "we cancelled a fun innovative game with a unique voice because it was creative and we didn't think it would make us money"

NoPiece

I really enjoyed the Jedi Knight series. Dat Kyle Katarnn. And Jaden Korr. But MP was also great

I'd add Republic Commando as well. There have been a lot of great single player Star Wars games. It's just been an unfortunately long time since we got them.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
thanks jason. The "journalist" groupthink was getting on my last nerve. Just like the "consoles are dead" shit at the end of last gen that was not ever a thing, or "online only is the future" in defense of MS DRM

There was never any indication of it becoming multiplayer

They said they wanted to butcher a story based singleplayer game and turn it into a generic open world game with loot crates

Okay, someone explain me how does that work, because my understanding was that Shadow of War got the vast majority of its loot crate criticism because it is a basically single player game with loot crates in the single player mode, as compared to other games doing it like Mass Effect 3 and having them in multiplayer modes... so a generic open world game without multiplayer but with loot crates actually isn't that generic of an idea?

Verchod

The bioware games, that clone wars fps, the old jedi academy and dark forces games. The insanely hard snes games, the rouge squadron stuff. The star wars arcade game from the early 2000's

Yes, some of those were good. I did enjoy Dark forces

Knights of the Old Republic?

That too. But not all are great, even if they were successful.

I don't know what the idea for this latest Game was, but a third or first person version start wars game in the style of uncharted does sound excellent. I'd love that. And maybe you could add Co-op too. You don't need multi player as they already have that.
I think open world would be much harder to pull off, even if the universe is there to pick from.
Do they want GTA online in space instead? Maybe that's the change in direction.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
idontbelieveyou.gif

Well to be fair, EA literally said that a linear SP game wasn't the direction they wanted to go anymore. Can't fault people for believing that.

Right. It's possible that it was both in dev hell and also that they don't want to do linear SP games too. That said, their initial message said little to nothing about development troubles, so forgive me for thinking this just seems a damage control excuse.

It has become clear that to deliver an experience that players will want to come back to and enjoy for a long time to come, we needed to pivot the design.
*fans protest*

"Oh did we say that? Sorry we shitcanned it because... dev troubles, game was a mess! Yeah that's it." *cue everyone posting gifs about vindication*

e_e

All these posters shouting about how people jumped the gun and assumed the game was going to be re-tooled into a MP GaaS lootbox-fest... the OP's quote from Jason doesn't disprove that at all.

Even if the game wasn't canned because it was a linear SP game, you can bet your ass that EA is going to use this opportunity afforded by a reboot to turn it into one.

There's no way a Star Wars game from EA, essentially starting development from scratch at this point, doesn't get turned into a MP GaaS game.

You can pretty much bank on it.

HonMirin

Read Blood Sweat and Pixels, it will tell you what you want to know. Uncharted 4 was in some serious creative trouble before Amy departed and Neil/Bruce came in to rescue the project by bringing focus to it.
... Thanks for reminding me. Just bought it. God bless you, you Press Sneak Fuck!

... I'll never get tired of writing that. ;-D

Ml33tninja

Neo Member
I can sorta understand why Naughty Dog thought the last of us wasn't going to be too hot.

Marketing was probably on their ass about how big of a role ellie had and that probably hurt some motivation.

The gameplay was fairly generic, like if you were just testing out various scenarios over and over the game really didn't do anything special at all and there wasn't honestly a lot of room for creativity which is a hallmark of stealth games.

What made The Last of Us good was the characters and world coming all together while you moved forward. The gameplay side of things may have been super average compared to other stealth games but the presentation and characters/va's carry the game super hard.

With all that said I really enjoyed my time with it, not as much as most people that rate it as one of the best things ever made since I feel it's a pretty average game at the end of the day, it's a good testament to a tv type / movie type story done well in a game, But I'm looking forward to part 2.

In response to the polygon thing, yeah Single Player games are going no where. Even if you are the type of casual player that jumps on whatever the current hot talk piece is there will always be a single player game that will pop up in that climate from time to time because people dont always want to play with someone else and want their own personal adventures, challenges, or a story they can interact with

The gameplay was straight forward and allowed you think think qiuck on your feet or use tactics to advance. I wouldn't call it generic(seems people use that as a negative) imo but rather simply. I could never understand the response to the gameplay. When you mean special what do you mean? over the top? balls to the wall? I can never get a example of what people wanted gameplay wise.

Olengie

I'd add Republic Commando as well. There have been a lot of great single player Star Wars games. It's just been an unfortunately long time since we got them.

Oh yeah. I absolutely loved Republic Commando. It is unfortunate we never got a follow up game besides some tie in novels

dukeoflegs

"Project was a mess" doesn't really clarify anything. It was a mess in what context? From an investor, from EA management, from Visceral's point of view, from a consumer view, or an end user perspective?

I've worked at studio where a project was a mess from the beginning to end from the view point of quality and an end user experience, but it was finished, shipped, had high praise, and sold well.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
The gameplay was straight forward and allowed you think think qiuck on your feet or use tactics to advance. I wouldn't call it generic(seems people use that as a negative) imo but rather simply. I could never understand the response to the gameplay. When you mean special what do you mean? over the top? balls to the wall? I can never get a example of what people wanted gameplay wise.
Just more options to do and handle things. Like more creative things with the environment and so on, rather than shoot bang, throw rock, stealth grab, sneak. The game is super linear so the enviroments should have let you be a bit more creative.

It's simple and people can view that as a negative I guess but it's solid for me so it's more of a neutral. At the end of the day a game's strengths comes down to the part where you are playing it, if it doesn't really stand out in how you play it then it's just another game on the shelf that doesn't stand out as a game to me, it could still be fun and I can enjoy my time with it but it's not something I will bring up with friends at the end of the day. But I have way too much freaking free time and play practically everything under the sun to a lesser degree so I'm a bit jaded

OmegaFax

I imagine that statement is much more focused on their investors than Disney.

Disney mostly spends their time cancelling their own Star Wars games from the two console titles to mobile titles and PC online games, so I'm sure they're familiar with the issues development can run into.

Disney won't care unless the games start to negatively impact their other Star Wars properties.

That's what I'm wondering. Battlefront and Battlefront II both coincide with Episode VII and Episode VIII respectively. The emphasis, scope, and target releases ... it's just two games vs. the LucasArts years where it felt or there were a half dozen+ releases around a film release. There's really a lot of more emphasis for these things to release on time, be good, and make everyone a ton of money + tie into other merchandising and a theatrical release.

It goes from "Well, that's one less game on our Star Wars release slate for that year" to "That's literally all we had going for us in 2019-2020.

Random question: How is merchandising coping with these nearly annual Star Wars releases? Abrams taking over Episode IX and the delay to December 2019 felt less creative and more like no one could feasibly get their shit together in year with Solo releasing in May.

Not to muddle the argument but you could speculate on Marvel vs. Capcom and wanting characters like Black Panther and Captain Marvel be there in order to gain awareness of their theatrical debuts in 2018.

If you think the games are going to influence the success of the movies you are kidding yourself.

No way do I think the success of the movies rely on video games. More or less question the approach and cutting down or reorganizing an already gutted/more cancelled than released video game license. There's not much more to widdle down.

Did anybody think it was canned because it was single player? A game doesn't have to be multiplayer to require an internet connection, trap you in a Skinner box, store your lootbox loot server-side, exploit gambling addicts, etc.

Top Bottom