• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OK K.O.! Let's be Heroes |OT| K.O.!

tumblr_ornth697IZ1ry3phio1_540.gif

Thanks for Psxphile for compiling the majority of this information!

heMYrkO.png

Created by Ian Jones-Quartey

TITLE SCREEN
EXTENDED CREDITS

8FP9jov.png

The Lakewood Plaza strip mall is a one-stop shop for any hero supplies a hero might need in their fight against crime. There, at Gar's Bodega, little K.O. works under Gar (the strongest hero in the Plaza) as an attempt to learn what it takes to become a great hero. Alongside his co-workers/mentors, Radicles and Enid, he defends the plaza against the constant threats of the evil Lord Boxman. The show is inspired and basically parodies fighting games from time to time.

Yhg0gu1.png

ePfkRTx.jpg

K.O. is overeager to become a real hero, which sometimes leads to him making impulsive decisions that lead him to trouble. Always eager to battle and to help, he's super loyal to Lakewood Plaza and his friends, and is incredibly optimistic - every little victory is something worthy of a huge celebration.
Meet K.O.!
K.O.'s Pow Card
Voiced by: Stephanie Nadolny, Courtenay Taylor

SpUvS5a.jpg

While rather sarcastic and angsty, Enid is basically an older sister to K.O. and the more responsible of the three woking at Gar's Bodega. She often doesn't step up unless she needs to, not really needing to be in the spotlight, but likes to seem cool from time to time in front of K.O.. She works at the counter and hates retail with a passion.
Enid's Pow Card
Voiced by: Ashly Burch

SMn88Ri.jpg

Radicles ("Rad") is an alien. He's a bit of a slacker on the job, but he doesn't miss a chance to show off and boast his moves and powers (though he gets bashful when someone is genuinely paying him compliments). While he can be a bit hard on K.O. sometimes, he knows the kid has heart.
Meet Rad!
Rad's Pow Card
Voiced by: Ian Jones-Quartey

yMx170v.jpg

Carol is K.O.'s mom, and she works at the Training Dojo in the Lakewood Plaza Strip Mall. She loves her kid and while she often teases him, she supports him whole-heartedly in his quest to work at the plaza and become a hero. Was a renowned hero when she was younger.
Meet Carol!
Carol's Pow Card
Voiced by: Kate Flannery

PdCgeQN.jpg

Mr. Gar owns Gar's Bodega and is one of the strongest heroes in the Plaza, at level 11. He's a very no-nonsense kind of person, valuing his employees when they work hard and showing a clear dislike towards laziness. While the other characters look up to him for his strength, he stutter and becomes putty in Carol's hands.
Meet Mr. Gar!
Gar's Pow Card
Voiced by: David Herman

bq5HHYv.png

The original pilot (titled "Lakewood Plaza Turbo") aired in 2013. Three years later, in 2016, Cartoon Network began releasing shorts from different studios (as well as a mobile game) to promote the series, until it's official television release.

Lakewood Plaza Turbo | Original Pilot

Lakewood Plaza Turbo | KO
Lakewood Plaza Turbo | Enid
Lakewood Plaza Turbo | Rad
OK K.O.! | Carol
OK K.O.! | Enid's Bad Day
OK K.O.! | Barrels and Crates
OK K.O.! | Rad Cries
OK K.O.! | Rad's Van
OK K.O. | Dendy
OK K.O. | Commercial
OK K.O. | Power Up!
OK K.O. | Boxmore Infomercial

0nr9w3l.png

August is the Month of K.O.! The series premieres August 1st with four back-to-back episodes, followed by three days with two new episodes each, and three weeks of new episodes every Monday through Thursday. Sounds confusing? Welcome to Cartoon Network! One way or another, what that schedule means is that we'll be getting 22 episodes until the 24th of August.

In case you already caught the first six episodes of the show on the app or On Demand, you'll only need to start tuning in August 3rd for Episodes 7 and 8.

List of Episodes:

tumblr_otyuuwjbUU1uok5pgo1_1280.jpg

Airing Mon-Thu from August 7th to August 24th
Titles for Episodes 11-22

------------------------------------------

Regarding Spoilers:

While the show isn't (as of yet) too plot heavy, besides some world building being seemingly sprinkled in the background, there's not too much of a strict spoiler policy for the thread right now, but here are some ground rules:

1. TAG anything that could be considered spoilers during at least the first three hours following an episode's official airing on television, making sure to highlight which episode you're talking about. There's no definite rule on what is a spoiler and what isn't so err on the safe side and tag your post if you think it might be a spoiler. Things that you should probably tag include, but are not limited to:
- new characters
- relevant character interactions
- foreshadowing/speculation
- backstories
- that super funny gag you don't want to ruin for everyone else.

While three hours is the recommended 'time frame', it might be courteous to just wait until the following day if it's something that strikes you as particularly relevant.

2. Regarding the first six episodes, since they aired a significant while back on the app, there's no need to worry too much about spoiler tags, but again, it might be advisable to tag the things you deem particularly relevant until the episodes air on TV. If any other episodes release on the app first before on TV, though, be sure to keep any discussion about them marked clearly with spoiler tags until the episode airs on television as well.

3. Spoilers on unreleased/leaked episodes need to be tagged with NO EXCEPTIONS.

--

Of course, as the show develops these policies may change and new restrictions may be added, if the thread deems them needed.

Have a punchtastic day!

YeSLntH.jpg

Official Tumblr: https://ok-ko.tumblr.com/

I'm curious as to what, if any actual series mythos it'll develop, since it seems like the sort of thing the current iteration would skewer.

Trivia time - one of KO's voice actors (not sure why they switch between the two, but they do among the six released episodes), Stephanie Nadolny, is also the voice actress for Kid Goku. I'm pretty damn certain that's a deliberate reference.

I'm curious as to what, if any actual series mythos it'll develop, since it seems like the sort of thing the current iteration would skewer.

Trivia time - one of KO's voice actors (not sure why they switch between the two, but they do among the six released episodes), Stephanie Nadolny, is also the voice actress for Kid Goku. I'm pretty damn certain that's a deliberate reference.

I'm surprised as how there's already a sense of continuity in the story, even if minor, so it makes me hopeful for some fun stuff down the road.

Episode 4 does hint at some fun stuff about
Carol and Mr. Gar's past, both with the scene of the donut shop being blown up and the ending scene of the episode which hints at them being part of an old team of heroes.

I'm surprised as how there's already a sense of continuity in the story, even if minor, so it makes me hopeful for some fun stuff down the road.

Episode 4 does hint at some fun stuff about
Carol and Mr. Gar's past, both with the scene of the donut shop being blown up and the ending scene of the episode which hints at them being part of an old team of heroes.

Which is really weird/interesting because to me,
the donut scene, plus Carol's awkward summation, makes it almost seem like they were former crooks that were reformed or something. Hence the noir feel. Yet, clearly they were part of 'P.O.I.N.T' at uh, some point.

Finaj

I'm glad this series will be getting ongoing storylines. There are so many shows that have potential, but they reset after every episode and make no progression.

kulapik

If there's something, they'll probably start to develop it on the second season, like every new Cartoon Network show.

Finaj

If there's something, they'll probably start to develop it on the second season, like every new Cartoon Network show.

Yeah. It may take a bit to get going. Many people forget, but Steven Universe didn't get much attention until Lapis showed up, and that was 25 episodes into the series.

Psxphile

Ha. I actually wasn't expecting the OT to go up this early. Figured we'd wait until it officially launched in August but they DID release the eps early so all's fair I guess.

But damn that's a nice, concise OT.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
So happy for Ian.

This right here. Super talented and friendly dude -- deserves all the success in the world. Same goes for his team!

And the show is super fun, btw! Hope to see it become a big hit.

On the question of lore and plot continuity:

tumblr_orlepukCqD1w3t4i3o1_540.png

Shannon's first appearance in the show leaves quite the impression:

tumblr_orjzmhZoXj1u080e1o2_540.gif

tumblr_orjzmhZoXj1u080e1o1_540.gif

I was gonna complain about how the characters designs were super simplified compared to the pilot, but after seeing that gif oh man I'm so ready for the show

I read Ian's RPG World webcomic back when I was in high school and it was still updating. People complain that it was left unfinished, but Ian left it because he went out and busted his ass working in animation.

I'm so freaking glad to see him finally have his own show on the air. He's always been talented, and he's only gotten better.

I laughed my ass off with these six episodes and I enjoyed seeing all the ridiculous, out-there animation the show throws at the audience. I even love how the number of fingers on characters' hands changes depending on the scene.

Ha. I actually wasn't expecting the OT to go up this early. Figured we'd wait until it officially launched in August but they DID release the eps early so all's fair I guess.

But damn that's a nice, concise OT.
Haha, I may have jumped the gun a little bit. Saw discussion about the OT in the other KO thread and the Western Cartoons one and thought it was time - and then only realized the episodes were only airing in August on TV halfway through making the OT. With six episodes plus the shorts there should at least be enough content until the show airs for real, haha. Thanks!

On the question of lore and plot continuity:

tumblr_orlepukCqD1w3t4i3o1_540.png
I'm not worried because even if the story ends up being strictly goofy we'll probably still get a dense and interesting world out of it. Something in Episode 6 reminded me of W101 and if it's anything like that I'll be all over it.

----
Some fan-art I found today:

Source
tumblr_opg5q7B3MJ1v70jdzo2_500.png
tumblr_opg5q7B3MJ1v70jdzo1_500.png

Haha, I may have jumped the gun a little bit. Saw discussion about the OT in the other KO thread and the Western Cartoons one and thought it was time - and then only realized the episodes were only airing in August on TV halfway through making the OT. With six episodes plus the shorts there should at least be enough content until the show airs for real, haha. Thanks!

I'm not worried because even if the story ends up being strictly goofy we'll probably still get a dense and interesting world out of it. Something in Episode 6 reminded me of W101 and if it's anything like that I'll be all over it.

----
Some fan-art I found today:

Source
tumblr_opg5q7B3MJ1v70jdzo2_500.png
tumblr_opg5q7B3MJ1v70jdzo1_500.png

So I'm not the only one who saw it! Not sure whether or not to try asking Ian if it was a reference.

Source
tumblr_orr15uzbGp1qer4obo2_540.jpg
tumblr_orr15uzbGp1qer4obo1_r1_540.jpg

OK KO warmups. The first 6 episodes are out and they were great! Its been a while since I had so much fun watching a cartoon
From Key Artist & Character Designer Matthieu Cousin

They're winking so hard at Red Action/Enid being a thing, right?

Air

Banned
It's crazy seeing Ian getting a show. I remember he gave my class a lecture and he talked about working on Ed, Edd n Eddy. Dude is super talented. Seeing him and Rebecca Sugar getting shows (two people I've had direct contact with during school) is really cool to me. Hope his show is successful

Ogodei

Waiting to watch it on Cartoon Network proper, tbh. Unless CN puts it during work hours like they're doing with this month's allotment of Clarence...

The Cartoon Network Tumblr just released Rad's Pow Card! For some reason it has him and Level 1 when he's 2, though (they also had Enid as 2 when she's 3? Weird inconsistency)

And the OK-KO Tumblr has been posting some character models with descriptions and a couple of new details on the cast, so here comes a picture dump!

KO said:
tumblr_orvb20j2oI1uok5pgo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_orvb20j2oI1uok5pgo2_1280.jpg

NAME: KO
HERO LEVEL: 0
SPECIES: Human
BACKSTORY: Trained from a young age by his mom, Carol. He's SUPER STRONG for his age, but still has a lot to learn.
CHARACTER BIO: Is the plaza's newest and lowliest hire. Wants to be the greatest hero in the world!
ATTACKS: Power-Fist Fireball
WEAKNESSES: Peanut allergy
FUN FACT: Has a running action movie narration in his head at all times.
VOICED BY: Courtenay Taylor
(I guess this means Courtenay Taylor is the main VA between her and Stephanie?

Enid said:
tumblr_orvb563tXN1uok5pgo1_540.jpg

tumblr_orvb563tXN1uok5pgo2_1280.jpg

NAME: Enid
HERO LEVEL: 3
BACKSTORY: Claims she was raised as a shinobi warrior by her supermodel dad and spy mom, who have forced her to get a part time job.
CHARACTER BIO: Fighter-type who knows martial arts. Unparalleled skill, speed and sarcasm. Works the counter at Gar's.
ATTACKS: Power Foot Fireball, can disappear in a puff of smoke only leaving a log
WEAKNESSES: Annoying customers, regular customers
FUN FACT: Spins music around town as DJ Fireball.
VOICED BY: Ashly Burch
"DJ Fireball", ha! Can't wait to see that on the show.
Radicles said:
tumblr_orvb8a7iTL1uok5pgo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_orvb8a7iTL1uok5pgo2_1280.jpg

NAME: Radicles
HERO LEVEL: 2
SPECIES: Alien
BACKSTORY: Rad is a first-generation son of the mysterious PLANET X.
CHARACTER BIO: Works at Gar's as a stockboy. Huge muscles, huger ego. Thinks he knows the best way to do everything.
ATTACKS: Neato Finger Beam
WEAKNESSES: His ego
FUN FACT: Kitten videos make him cry.
VOICED BY: Ian Jones-Quartey
Kaboom+1.jpg

Drupe said:

New Characters said:

Other Art said:

Lots of good stuff! The new character teases are great.

Oh man, I've never laughed at something based solely on the model sheet before, but Crinkly Wrinkly certainly changed that.

The Itchy and Scratchy influence is very apparent with him. Oh, and he's got some Miles "Tails" Prower in him with those shoes.

OK KO already has one of the qualities that I really loved about Adventure Time, which is that they can literally make a character out of anything and it would fit in the show. It's ridiculous in all the best ways.

Enid and Drupe are rockin' some hartman hips.
DAMN!

Man, this show is super charming.
I love how loose and stylized the art direction is, and I've really been digging the background music.
Also Rad and Enid are very, very appealing characters.
It's kind of hard to explain, but they've both kind of got a Marceline-esque vibe to 'em; cool, cocky, and aloof without coming off as obnoxious, overbearing, or just plain mean.

Kudos to Ian and his crew, they've done a great job so far, I'll definitely be keeping up with this one.

Tsunamo

Oh man, I had no idea these got released early. So excited, i've been following this ever since the original pitch video.

Tsunamo

I just watched the first six episodes and i'm totally hooked. The first two episodes were a bit slow but it felt like it picked up after then and is getting into its groove, after that I started to get a laugh out of each episode and enjoy them more and more.

When do new episodes air? Do we have to wait until after August for them because of these being released early?

Psxphile

I just watched the first six episodes and i'm totally hooked. The first two episodes were a bit slow but it felt like it picked up after then and is getting into its groove, after that I started to get a laugh out of each episode and enjoy them more and more.

When do new episodes air? Do we have to wait until after August for them because of these being released early?

The first six will air in August but it's unknown how they plan to do that. Best way to do it is to set aside a week to bomb it and then maybe follow-up with weekly episodes.

Two more character cards
Gar said:
tumblr_orvb9y5kq81uok5pgo1_1280.jpg

NAME: Mr. Gar
HERO LEVEL: 11
BACKSTORY: Mr. Gar has been an amazing hero his whole life. After spending many years as a great hero, he settled down and created Lakewood Plaza Turbo!
CHARACTER BIO: The boss and manager of the Plaza. Long on knowledge and short on patience, Mr. Gar supports heroes in their righteous fight against evil, day in and day out.
ATTACKS: Thunder Elbow Quake
WEAKNESSES: Huge, debilitating crush on Carol.
FUN FACT: Bowling High Score: 301
VOICED BY: Dave Herman
Carol said:
tumblr_orvbbznTII1uok5pgo1_1280.jpg

NAME: Carol
HERO LEVEL: 11
SPECIES: Human Mother
BACKSTORY: Used to go on adventures and fight evil. Now she runs the Fitness Dojo.
CHARACTER BIO: K.O.'s doting mother also doubles as Lakewood Plaza's martial arts expert. When Carol's not kicking butts or taking names, she's teaching everyone else how to do it.
ATTACKS: Can replicate any fighting move perfectly.
WEAKNESSES: Has trouble being clear when imparting her wisdom
FUN FACT: Black Belts: 12
VOICED BY: Kate Flannery
First confirmation of Carol's level, I think.
And her species <3

Two more character cards

First confirmation of Carol's level, I think.
And her species <3

That these two are both listed as Level 11 does make me imagine the show is gonna hype the shit out of Level 12 hero appearing eventually. Particularly Mr. Gar, who is the show's de facto OP old guy.

Lord Boxman said:
tumblr_orvbekpRfc1uok5pgo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_orvbekpRfc1uok5pgo2_1280.jpg

NAME: Lord Boxman
HERO LEVEL: -10
SPECIES: Cyborg
BACKSTORY: Runs an evil base across from the plaza. He HATES all kindess and do-goodery.
CHARACTER BIO: Attacks the plaza with his evil robots all the time. Vows to destroy all those good guys one day!
ATTACKS: Sends ”Blind Boxes" to the plaza, which open up and release robots! Also has a flying desk.
WEAKNESSES: Gets immediately flustered when presented with any kind of jokes or merriment. The plaza people get his goat!
FUN FACT: Does not understand that morality can be a complicated gray area.
VOICED BY: Jim Cummings
Oh my god the fun fact <3 Several lines about "hating good and kindness" then you just cut to that nonchalantly.

juliasrednicki said:
tumblr_os5bmaeFmO1s2usqro5_1280.png

I wanted to show some Boxman and robot designs from OK KO now that these episodes have premiered! I got the assignment to do a redesign and turnaround for Lord Boxman on my first day on the show. I just had Ian's front ¾ pilot era design to work from, and I tried to honor the original while adapting it to our new style. Since he's asymmetrical this is probably the most extensive turnaround I've ever done! Also included: one of my recent drawings of Boxman plus the original. My redesigns of these two robot children were based on Ryann & Parker's boards, & I specifically based Shannon's model on Ryann's awesome reveal drawing from Let's Be Friends. Colors by Kali Ciesemier & Jessica Yost! Excited to finally show these!

JETHRO said:
E: Shannon got some separate content later so this quote now belongs to JETHRO.

holy smokes so much art from the tumblr

Darrell said:
tumblr_orvbh9JnOK1uok5pgo1_1280.jpg

NAME: Darrell
HERO LEVEL: -4
SPECIES: Robot
BACKSTORY: Darrells are loyal stooges/henchmen to Lord BoxMan
CHARACTER BIO: Darrells are known for their trickery, persistence, and stupidity. Has a never ending rivalry with Shannon.
ATTACKS: Shoots missiles, sends out endless multiples of himself
WEAKNESSES: Gets flustered by petty insults. Has no particular “gimmick” like his robo-brothers and sisters.
FUN FACT: Secretly wishes he could be as cool as KO, Rad & Enid.
VOICED BY: Ian Jones-Quartey
Ian Note: Darrell’s model sheet is exactly the same as the 2012 pilot! Totally unchanged!

BG Art said:

WONDER PUNCH said:
Mummy girl basically just resting the whole time, heh.

Gar's Pow Card

Shannon said:
tumblr_orvbjfHSLL1uok5pgo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_orvbjfHSLL1uok5pgo2_1280.jpg

NAME: Shannon
HERO LEVEL: -4
SPECIES: Robot
BACKSTORY: Lord Box-Man created Shannons to be like his daughters and gave them all the cool technology. Box-Man spoils them.
CHARACTER BIO: Shannons have a TON of weapons and can transform into things. Highest in the robo-lackey pecking order. They’re pretty obnoxious about it. Often at odds with Darrell.
ATTACKS: Shannons can transform into anything and make it deadly.
WEAKNESSES: Will do anything for Lord Boxman’s approval.
FUN FACT: Deep down, she REALLY loves her older brother Darrell.
VOICED BY: Kari Wahlgren
Ian Note: Some of Shannon’s attack poses are lifted directly from her first appearance in the @doublestallion OK KO! Lakewood Plaza Turbo mobile game!

Top Bottom