• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soooo snapchat has added a very questionable feature

Auraela

Banned
If u zoom out on the circle icon where youd start ur snap it brings up world map n shows peoples snaps who aren't even on ur friend's. They say u can disable the option but its auto enabled n there is no information on app load since update about this. Only if u read update notes in Google play etc.

This is a terrible feature especially for the amount of creeps etc.

Yeah my fiance mentioned this to me earlier. Pretty fucky and I hate how social media wants to know where everybody is 100% of the time.

Wylo7K7.gif

I see.....Thanks.

Pretty sure they sent me a message on Snapchat about this feature like they do with all new features.

Also, isn't this about on par with Instagram allowing you to just follow someone to view all their stuff? Pretty sure there's likely a privacy feature you can turn on to prevent strangers from viewing your stuff.

It doesn't seem to be enabled by default because I had to manually turn it on, and they also sent out an info snap as well as giving options to turn it off and change who can view.

Symphonia

Banned
I only found out today after a colleague showedo me on lunch. I could see exactly where my contacts - and nearby non-contacts - were. I disabled that shit immediately. I don't want Snapchat, or anyone for that matter, following me.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I will never understand this terrible service. Just find snapchat pointless.

Auraela

Banned
Pretty sure they sent me a message on Snapchat about this feature like they do with all new features.

Also, isn't this about on par with Instagram allowing you to just follow someone to view all their stuff? Pretty sure there's likely a privacy feature you can turn on to prevent strangers from viewing your stuff.

They may have sent msgs but its disgusting have this feature auto on. N too turn it off u can't do it in settings u have to actually go into feature first

giga

Instagram doesn't put your exact location in a map, no.

zeemumu

Nah, Instagram lets you tag your posts at a specific location, like a theme park or a landmark. This opens a map and displays your location on the map.

Persona7

Banned
I will never understand this terrible service. Just find snapchat pointless.

I mean, most people don't know the photos they share from their phone have embedded GPS tags so it's not much different. Terrible metadata practices everywhere.

You have to activate the feature and it lets you set it to "all friends", "select friends", or "ghost mode". It wont show you on the map till you pick for the first time

SexyFish

Banned
I could see my friend driving and then arriving at an airport. Put their bitmoji in a little plane. Mildly creepy.

I only enabled it for close friends, don't see a problem with that.

jwk94

You have to activate the feature and it lets you set it to "all friends", "select friends", or "ghost mode". It wont show you on the map till you pick for the first time

Yeah, this is a non-issue. If they just automatically enabled it then yeah that'd be a problem, but you have to activate the feature first.

Ominym

Banned
Snapmap is gon get some folks caught in some drama and I'm all the way here for it

No kidding. I think the feature is a cool idea in theory, but there's going to be a whole lot of people getting busted underage drinking, selling drugs, and getting robbed based on this shit.

Probably throw in a fair sprinkle of affairs and finding out you're not included in the friend group too.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Link.

We spoke with a Snapchat representative about the specifics of how Snap Map works. Here are details we learned that aren’t communicated through Snapchat’s video and Snap Map walkthrough:

• If you are choosing to share your location on the Map, your location is updated every time the Snapchat app is opened.
  • If a Snapchatter chooses to share their location with all of their friends on Snapchat, the app will remind them of that choice periodically to make sure they are still comfortable with this.
  • Only mutual friends can see each other on the Map.
  • Snapchat will delete precise location data after a short period of time. (This period of time was not specified.) Some more general location data may be retained a little longer (this time was also not specified), but the company says that is also subject to regular deletion.
  • If you tap on your friend, you will see when their location was updated (i.e., 1 hour ago, 2 hours ago). Their location reflects where they last opened Snapchat.
  • A friend’s location will remain on the Map for up to 8 hours if they do not open the app again, causing location to update. If more than 8 hours has passed and a Snapchatter has not opened the app, their location will disappear from the Map entirely.

If you want to disable Snap Map, select “Ghost Mode” upon Snapchat’s initial walkthrough. If it’s already enabled, tap the settings gear in the top right while viewing Snap Map, and select Ghost Mode from there.

v1lla21

Don't you gotta opt in and allow it for it to work? I don't see what the big deal is if it wasn't forced on without your consent.
I barely use snapchat anyways so I don't care.

Unbounded

I mean, I just checked it out and it's pretty much a non-issue. You don't show up until you set it up and the first thing it does is ask who you want to see your location.

amar212

I fail to see the very reason for making such "option" available (forced) at users.

What is the reasoning?

If I were Shapchat, I would backdoor the shit out of every user, but I can't comprehend why go public with such option?

DrSlek

Facebook added a very similar feature a year ago. Not that it bothers me all that much, butI just deny Facebook location permissions anyway.

Dead

well not really...yet
Very few people in my friends list are using this so far for some anecdotal experience with it.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
And eventually they'll send you a message to tell you who nearby looked at your stuff.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I just checked, first thing it did was ask me what setting I wanted for the feature. You're blowing this up when it's not even a big deal OP.

KillLaCam

Banned
That doesn't seem safe. Like Idgaf about sharing my location 99% of the time. But I wanna be able to control how much is shared

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
It only shows stuff if you share it with a local story or "Our Story." It's kind of the point if you're already doing that.

Other than that, it does ask who can view your location.

ZPloaBR.png

Top Bottom