• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 1, 2 and 3 coming to PS4 and 3DS in Japan in August

Scotia

Banned
Wow, that's awesome. Really hope they come to the west.

Would love it if the rest come to PS4 as well. I'd buy them all day one!

Hugstable

Banned
Wow, that's awesome. Really hope they come to the west.

Would love it if the rest come to PS4 as well. I'd buy them all day one!

It would be smart to release both 3ds a d ps4 versions if they bring them west. I'd be willing to double dip on each

Psxphile

Kinda curious what the 3DS versions will look like in comparison to PS4 and mobile. PS4 actually seemed to improve the look of the sprites of DQ1 over the mobile version.

Scotia

Banned
It would be smart to release both 3ds a d ps4 versions if they bring them west. I'd be willing to double dip on each

I don't have a 3Ds, so that's why I forgot to mention it, but I completely agree they should bring them all to PS4 and 3Ds.

Slime

Banned
I was going to play through the mobile ones for like the fourth time to cope with being unable to play DQXI this year, but now I feel like I should just wait for these.

Fuuuuuuuuuu

Oh well, still need to finish up VII and haven't even touched the VIII port. Not to mention being borderline obsessed with Builders. And, fuck, I completely forgot about the Heroes games.

...not the worst time to be a DQ fan.

Hustler

I've only played VIII.... I would gladly buy all the others on PS4 or Switch. Pleeeeeeease come to the west!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Trophies and achievements legitimately make games worse so it's nice to see this doesn't have any.

No way. If it wasn't for trophies, I wouldn't have bothered 100%ing the game. See FFXII, I didn't bother getting all the Espers and fighting Yiazmat during the PS2 version, now I did everything in the PS4 version.

Shiggy

Square Enix will publish both Dragon Quest and Dragon Quest II: Akuryou no Kamigami on the Japanese 3DS eShop this Thursday with Dragon Quest III: Soshite Densetsu e… scheduled for later this month. They are listed as Nintendo 3DS download software on the eShop and not Virtual Console as they are a port of the mobile version and neither the Famicom, Super Famicom nor Game Boy Color versions.
http://www.japanesenintendo.com/post/163902052519

Were the mobile versions good?

jholmes

Square-Enix hasn't been great on getting its back catalogue available on the 3DS but if these make it across the Pacific I'd buy at least one.

Joqu

I would have preferred the original sprites but this version doesn't look half bad. I'd buy them if SE were to bring them over, and they're already localized anyway.

Though they never did bring over that 3DS version of Final Fantasy 1, did they? I wanted that.

Prophane33

How brutal are these games?

Not very, they've been updated quite a bit from their famicom days. Dragon Quest II is the only one of the three I would say is particularly difficult in parts, but it was also (admittedly) poorly play tested back in the day.

DQ1 could be difficult depending on how much you're used to older games.

gblues

Banned
How brutal are these games?

The only game in the entire series that even comes close to brutal is the FamiCom/NES version of Dragon Quest II.

The SFC remakes of I&II, which the mobile versions are largely derived from, make both games significantly easier. The main challenge of DQII is keeping all the hints straight--if you're the type to take frequent breaks, it's a good idea to keep a notebook and talk to literally everyone. There's really not anything in the way of puzzles, but the clues are somewhat arbitrarily spread out.

No game in the series drills in the "NPCs give you valuable information" theme like DQ2. There are in-game breadcrumbs for every location you need to visit, but you need to do the detective work yourself--the game isn't going to lead you by the nose with quest markers or cutscenes.

PrimeBeef

You can buy 4 and 5 brand new on Videogamesplus.ca
My local shop has a few if each DS game and thry are all over Amazon too.

Is the New 2DS XL worth it? My 3ds just crapped the bed. I don't care about the 3D buy was interested in the larger screens. I figured I would replace it with a 2DS XL and pick up DQ 1-3. Curious if I should do this or hold out hope for them all to come to the switch?

NolbertoS

I want all (3) DQXI games out West to complete my DQ gaming collection. I love th series so much. Make it happeb Nintendo, if SE won't publish Switch abd 3DS versions

Robin64

Such a mish-mash of pixel sizes and badly scaled sprites.

bd6e7317162e8a8ac25b58bffe20bd85b89aa7a1e8ff85d5c47faf32264a7f93.jpg
a4ac247518f6e29633a88c030e1323c0da0a12949e15df2d1e404cd9e73df02c.jpg
56537beef11f25c46691c1dd22f05af447174bdcc532ad28757825beb8f8feef.jpg

Eusis

And they didn't bring over Final Fantasy 3D and it was released when the 3DS was more relevant.
I forgot about that. I swear it seemed that SE acquiring Eidos and mobile raising made them go completely stupid on western handheld support.

But then they did act as if they could charge premium prices while making cuts...
Such a mish-mash of pixel sizes and badly scaled sprites.

bd6e7317162e8a8ac25b58bffe20bd85b89aa7a1e8ff85d5c47faf32264a7f93.jpg
a4ac247518f6e29633a88c030e1323c0da0a12949e15df2d1e404cd9e73df02c.jpg
56537beef11f25c46691c1dd22f05af447174bdcc532ad28757825beb8f8feef.jpg
Ugh. I would have preferred to go 3DS but with it looking like that I guess I'll go for PS4 if brought over.

Fiendcode

They should've just used the SFC versions as a base. Or even better if you could switch between FC and SFC visuals/audio on the fly.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Well, part of me expects in the west we will get DQXI for PS4 & Switch and skip out on the 3DS one.

I dont see them skipping the 3DS because in 2018 it will be one of the few bigger releases on that plattform. Also they developed the 3DS version ground up for the plattform...would be weird to only release the console versions when the script is the same.

Guess it will depend on what kind of support Nintendo offers.

scamander

Banned
You can buy 4 and 5 brand new on Videogamesplus.ca

Yeah, I thought about buying the games from them (via ebay, because they are much cheaper there), but now I'm not too sure. Would prefer native 3DS ones because of the higher resolution, though I have no idea how likely it is to happen.

Ugh. I would have preferred to go 3DS but with it looking like that I guess I'll go for PS4 if brought over.

What makes you think they will look better on PS4?

FlynnCL

Unconfirmed Member
What makes you think they will look better on PS4?

I would assume it's because scaling pixel art marginally will always bring serious artifacts compared to scaling multiple times its original resolution.

hvP1ugD.png
3vZW1iU.png

It's not even like the PS4 version looks particulary good either. Such a shame they couldn't just get 1:1 with the 3DS, but I somehow doubt it's easy if they're porting the mobile version.

Aeana

Looks bad just like the mobile version does. The only mobile version between 1-3 to not have weird scaling issues is 3.
EDIT: Actually, the larger shot above is acceptable to me.

Looks bad just like the mobile version does. The only mobile version between 1-3 to not have weird scaling issues is 3.
EDIT: Actually, the larger shot above is acceptable to me.

personally I think the character sprites look better on mobile, they don't have that weird filtering

lBSlyxI.png

jFQD1Br.png

Robin64

The PS4 one looks okay. The 3DS one just scales the stuff so badly, compare the castle in the two shots above. It's like they just had MS Paint decrease the size and called it a day.

Aeana

personally I think the character sprites look better on mobile, they don't have that weird filtering

lBSlyxI.png

jFQD1Br.png

The problem with mobile 1 and 2 is that the backgrounds aren't scaled by an integer factor, and also have no bilinear filtering (like 3 mobile has), so they have the same issue as the 3DS shots above.

I really don't like the way these mobile remakes look. Nothing fits together and it makes them feel cheap. I guess if I want to play DQ I & II I'll just pick up the SFC versions.

Eusis

I would assume it's because scaling pixel art marginally will always bring serious artifacts compared to scaling multiple times its original resolution.

hvP1ugD.png
3vZW1iU.png

It's not even like the PS4 version looks particulary good either. Such a shame they couldn't just get 1:1 with the 3DS, but I somehow doubt it's easy if they're porting the mobile version.
Yeah, PS4 isn't ideal either just because of the differing filters on sprite and backgrounds (and I dread that it will be 30 FPS despite having no damn business being that low), but it looks a damn sight better than the 3DS version. That looks like one of those games being forced to run at a resolution way lower than it should have, and I don't know whether that was just a mediocre job or if the assets really were just above what the 3DS could display properly and so it has to be fudged.

Top Bottom