• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns Review Thread

KingBroly

Banned
It doesn't need to be JRPG length.

That's not really what I'm saying. I'm saying that dictating an average length for a 2D Metroid game is pretty moot when you haven't one in 13 years, and half of them were made before the turn of the Millennium.

giapel

Regarding the Eurogamer review. Too many mentions of "there's something... off". If you can't put it in words, I'm not talking your review seriously.

crpav

I pre ordered the collectors edition from Target, a bit late, and was able to but now shows back ordered. I'm not going to get it am I?

8.5? I was expecting this game to be around 9.5 and 10s from all the hype and coverage this game has been getting

I'll pass

Fucking what now?

Saw a charge from GameStop and was like "oh fuck I've been hacked" but I forgot I'd preordered this, so nice surprise. Really looking forward to this.

Peter Brown of GameSpot is saying a 100% run on standard difficulty took just under 20 hours. And he's apparently a big fan series.

Hoooly shit, I'm getting so hype. Speed runs of this should be fun to watch.

13ruce

Banned
At least they didn't say it was bad. They seem to think it was mediocre and not as good as previous Metroid games (which is to be expected in all honesty).

Super Metroid, Fusion, and Zero Mission are three of the best games ever made. They can't all be of that caliber.

Lots of reviews actually mention it actually does hold up to those.

Ninja Dom

Fuckkkk I need this game so bad. Comparisons to super???

Wrong place to ask probably, but can I buy this game and load it up on a N3DS on old firmware? Or do I need to update to play it, which isn't an option for me honestly.

If you're gonna download it from the eShop then you'll need the very latest firmware to even access the eShop.

If you're gonna buy the cart then I'm presuming the cart will have a firmware update on it that you have to do first before you can play.

VDenter

Banned
Seems great so far. Of course many sites gave Other M a great score so i'm not sure how much stock i should put in these reviews. Gamexplain gave Federation Force a great score which is a huge red flag. Guess it doesn't matter though still going to check it out though.

It's funny how the ign review deservedly calls Other M "disappointing" and then you remember ign also gave that game 8.5.

I know it's not the same reviewer but it goes to show how stupid that Other M ign review was. Jesus.

yuoke

Banned
At least they didn't say it was bad. They seem to think it was mediocre and not as good as previous Metroid games (which is to be expected in all honesty).

Super Metroid, Fusion, and Zero Mission are three of the best games ever made. They can't all be of that caliber.
Almost every review is indicating it is of thay caliber.

yuoke

Banned
Seems great so far. Of course many sites gave Other M a great score so i'm not sure how much stock i should put in these reviews. Gamexplain gave Federation Force a great score which is a huge red flag. Guess it doesn't matter though still going to check it out though.
Gamexplain gives good scores out like halloween candy.

Also other m has a 79 on mc, this has 88 now....could be 89.

KingBroly

Banned
It's funny how the ign review deservedly calls Other M "disappointing" and then you remember ign also gave that game 8.5.

I know it's not the same reviewer but it goes to show how stupid that Other M ign review was. Jesus.

You could say that of 90% of Other M reviews.

8.5? I was expecting this game to be around 9.5 and 10s from all the hype and coverage this game has been getting

I'll pass
There are many other reviews that have given it 9 and above scores. Does IGN's all that matters to you or something?

Also: what the hell's wrong with you?

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Was just watching GameXplain's video review (which, by the way, in my opinion shows way too much of stuff that doesn't seem to be the early game), and though they "Loved" it, one of their complaints seemed kind of ridiculous. Complained that there was a segment with spikes that they couldn't figure out how to get through, and it was frustrating that it wasn't more clear. Kinda seems like one of the main reasons you buy a Metroid game.
I watched ign talk about this on the podcast last night and I knew exactly what he was talking about because I'm mentioned how they were all texting each other and other reviewers to figure that part out and in the end thru kinda agreed that it kinda added to the experience

Toxi

Banned
By the way, please buy the game. You'll do a favor to you and to the industry.
Buy this game if you want to play it.

This industry is not based on consumers acting as charities for multi-million and -billion dollar corporations. It is based on companies convincing consumers their product is worth the price.

Oozer3993

A great Zelda, Metroid and Mario in the same year. Not sure that has ever happened before.

It's kinda happened before:

2002. Metroid Prime, Super Mario Sunshine, Wind Waker (though only in Japan).

1986: Metroid, Legend of Zelda, Super Mario Bros. 2 (only in Japan)

Game gets good review.

Person:........

Game gets another good review.

Person:..............

Game gets first negative review

Persona:Aw man you know I was really looking forward to this game but it looks like it isn't that great. Oh well.

A great Zelda, Metroid and Mario in the same year. Not sure that has ever happened before.

Well, it wasn't a calendar year, but the trio of Mario Sunshine, Metroid Prime and Zelda: Wind Waker all came out within one year. Then later Zelda: Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 3 and Mario Galaxy just barely came out within the period of a year.

Buy this game if you want to play it.

This industry is not based on consumers acting as charities for multi-million and -billion dollar corporations. It is based on companies convincing consumers their product is worth the price.
Of course, but I expect support for 2D Metroid in 2017 from the people that were afraid this series was dead (apparently a huge chunck of GAF). The game is also very good and accessible, so I recommend it to everyone.

Peltz

Lots of reviews actually mention it actually does hold up to those.

Yea, true. I'll take all of them with a grain of salt and just play it this weekend and form my own opinion. Metroid games are incredibly personal experiences. So reviewers are going to be biased depending on whether or not they were able to connect with the game.

Myself, I spent 10 years off and on playing the beginning of Super Metroid and Metroid Prime could not see the appeal of either. I loved Zero Mission too so I just thought those two games were inferior to it.

But then, a few years ago (around 2013) I tried each of them again, and something clicked, and they were spectacular GOAT-type experiences for me. It just goes to show that you do sort of have to be in the mindset to enjoy this type of game. And when it clicks, it clicks unbelievably well. But it doesn't always happen for everyone at first.

Nemesis_

So is there a Zero Mission style twist in this game?

......Yes.....

if you want more detail, although I will not spoil it

there is a little bit more to do after killing the Queen but not as extensive or as lengthy as the Zero Suit sequence in Zero Mission

Top Bottom