• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony And Microsofts Next Generation Racers Rumored

Moosichu

Gran Turismo is not Need for Speed. Sony shouldn't latch GT's name onto another racing game just to get it recognized. Polyphony didn't even do that when they made Tourist Trophy. They could've easily done that, but they didn't because it wasn't Gran Turismo.

That's basically the same size as Polyphony.

Considering the fact that tourist trophy was an extension of the GT world in terms of tracks, menus and engines. They should have. What it there to loose? If the game is good and the message is clear it benefits the brand as a whole, doesn't it?

Niks

No, I'm sorry, it doesn't make sense.

Having a separate series featuring the same brand is a good thing, if the game is good and handled properly. Of course they wouldn't call it "GT: the real driving simulator arcade". They need to come up with something unique that helps differtiate the new IP while still using the same brand name.

So you're dismissing games like Horizon and Rising just because they're not from Turn 10 or Kojipro?

Even though they supervised or at least helped during development?

It's crazy.

Fiat owns Ferrari.
Hmm... I wonder why the the Fiat 500 was not named Ferrari 500. I bet it would have sold tons more. Extreme example, but it gets the point across.

For more info, please google brand dilution.

JJD

If the game is good, where's the problem?

Forza Horizon is one of the best racers I've ever played.

And it got visibility from borrowing the brand name (and car models and licenses).

PD could do the same.

It's kind of like Metal Gear Rising. It's a full-on action title from Platinum with a MGS skin. The game gets visibility and the brand expands with a worthy new gameplay. Everybody wins.

Forza Horizon bombed. It was a great game I agree, but the Forza name didn't help. I guess they could have called it just Horizon and it would have sold pretty much the same.

Ding-Ding

I wonder. As these rumours suggest that Evolution wanted the GT name, could there be a potential swapping of resources. PD car models to Evolution and in return Evolution give PD some environments for city courses (or PD's planned C spec)

It would make sense sharing resources

Gran Turismo has such great breadth to it. I can't imagine what a complimentary game would even be like. A subset game, say like rally? OK, maybe. I just can't see what voids could be filled by another team, and still have it be GT.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Forza Horizon bombed. It was a great game I agree, but the Forza name didn't help. I guess they could have called it just Horizon and it would have sold pretty much the same.

it also wasnt promoted and even as a racing and gaming enthusiast, i had no idea what it was until shortly before launch. the failed to hype it to casuals AND the hardcore.

Shaneus

it also wasnt promoted and even as a racing and gaming enthusiast, i had no idea what it was until shortly before launch. the failed to hype it to casuals AND the hardcore.
Seriously. WTF was this shit? From memory, the Australian ad for it was even worse, because they cut certain bits out so there were no people in it, just the car and the voiceover and the VO was edited a bit. So you just kind of had a car that drove around for about 1/3 of the ad, then the other 2/3 was the camera slowly zooming in on it on the podium while it spoke to you.

NFI what the hell they were thinking.

Bgamer90

Banned
Forza Horizon bombed. It was a great game I agree, but the Forza name didn't help.

Forza games period don't sell well in the U.S.. MS keeps making them though since it's their "GT" and the games have gotten better reviews than GT so it's basically a way to counter something that the competition has.

Forza does decent in the U.K. though and I remember reading that Horizon made the top 25 in the U.K. too. They love racing games.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Wait, isn't the lead developer of the PGR games with Evolution now? I don't know what to be hyped for now.

And what are the chances of seeing the Evolution game at the PS4 reveal 11 days from now?

Forza does decent in the U.K. though and I remember reading that Horizon made the top 25 in the U.K. too. They love racing games.

It still charts in the UK, week after week. That also makes me wonder whether it's selling steadily in the US as well. I don't expect any huge numbers, but after all is said and done, I think it will do decently.

Someone mentioned that most of Team Liverpool went there, I think. Could be mistaken. There were definitely plans to do something of the sort put in place a while ago though:

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/01/07/scee-plans-to-merge-liverpool-and-evolution-studios/

I understand not agreeing with it, but I don't see how it's silly. It would be a spin-off from a popular brand and get more exposure off the name alone.

That article talks about a merger but they were shut down. Don't know where this idea most of them went to Evolution comes from. We know some ended up at Lucid making PGR5, some formed Sawfly. A couple of Wipeout's senior programmers went to other companies like Crytek.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
That article talks about a merger but they were shut down. Don't know where this idea most of them went to Evolution comes from. We know some ended up at Lucid making PGR5, some formed Sawfly. A couple of Wipeout's senior programmers went to other companies like Crytek.

Hopes and dreams it where it comes from, I think.

It still charts in the UK, week after week. That also makes me wonder whether it's selling steadily in the US as well. I don't expect any huge numbers, but after all is said and done, I think it will do decently.

The reason it's in the charts is because it's bundled out the wazoo.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So I got linked here from the PGR Appreciation thread by Lord Shaneus and oh my how did I miss this thread D;

These rumors are accurate, to my knowledge.
Totally serious.
I am hard and wet, all at the same time.

Will not believe until I see it goddamnit.

I have heard the PGR rumor, as well. Many months ago, in fact.

Owners of rare cars have been asked if the developers can record engine sounds for a new PGR game.

Edit: Supposedly.
I remember this too, but this happened a LONG time ago. I would say 1-2 years ago. Could the small Lucid team have been working on it for that long, possibly in conjunction with Turn10 or other studios? Certainly a possibility.

Let's also not forget a bulk of the models and stuff from PGR games in the past have been outsourced, perhaps Lucid is doing a lot of that? Kinda seems like it would be too much though. I mean look at the work put into the cities in PGR4 alone. Imagining that level of work in something that looks better than GT5 (presumably) is unfathomable.

So Forza 5 in 2014 then?
Probably. There were rumblings of T10 wanting that extra time and not being ready for launch. I can see them being the 2 in the 1, 2 racer punch to keep the 720's momentum going.

PGR5 at launch of Durango would make me a happy gamer, but two PGR style racers by Ex Bizzarre guys on competing consoles at launch? Shits crazy.
Yeah it's kinda crazy to even imagine, though I don't believe the Evolution studios game will take inspiration from PGR.. I don't think that's what the market wants right now TBH, and if you don't do it just like PGR it'll end up being pretty mediocre, even PGR has struggled over the years to get the kudos system just right. The idea of a PGR "clone" sounds odd to me.

Kinda makes my purchasing decision difficult as a gamer. Ill only be buying one next gen console, but which will it be? What if the PGR game from Evolution is better than the one I get from MS? How much is in the name? Brb contemplating life.

These rumors are pretty accurate, according to my knowledge.
I think some of you will be pleased :)
Indeed :) I knew this is what you were talking about earlier.
I never saw the link in the OP, so I don't know what exactly was inferred or rumoured, but I say some, as it really depends on what the individual is expecting, what kind of racing games they like, or whether they like racers at all etc.

But the majority of the information being surmised is indeed accurate.
...is it weird that PGR5 is increasingly becoming one of the most heavily rumored next gen games or what?

I'd really get this warm and fuzzy feeling that MS hasn't abandoned PGR just yet, and is still willing to give it love after what they did with the release timing of PGR4, but again, I just don't want dashed hopes. It would just be awesome to see another Xbox launch with another PGR.

Does MS own "kudos"?
MS and Bizarre co-owned Kudos, and both had the ability to use it however they pleased, but not anymore since Bizarre's demise. R.I.P. Bizarre.

Lead PGR making a PS4 title and lead Wipeout making 720 title. Everyone wins?
Suddenly, next gen doesn't feel like impending doom anymore! Great time to be a racing game fan methinks :)

- - -

Did OP actually say they were building on the same PGR4 engine? That sounds too good to be true, though I hope it isn't limiting them technically. My second favourite driving model in the series after PGR2.

I remember this too, but this happened a LONG time ago. I would say 1-2 years ago. Could the small Lucid team have been working on it for that long, possibly in conjunction with Turn10 or other studios? Certainly a possibility.

If anything, that make the whole idea of a collaborative effort more plausible. I don't think the recordings were done by a Lucid team, but Microsoft has certainly been preparing for the next PGR for that long.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yeah it's kinda crazy to even imagine, though I don't believe the Evolution studios game will take inspiration from PGR.. I don't think that's what the market wants right now TBH, and if you don't do it just like PGR it'll end up being pretty mediocre, even PGR has struggled over the years to get the kudos system just right. The idea of a PGR "clone" sounds odd to me.

Kinda makes my purchasing decision difficult as a gamer. Ill only be buying one next gen console, but which will it be? What if the PGR game from Evolution is better than the one I get from MS? How much is in the name? Brb contemplating life.

I hope they are basing it on PGR rather than the likes of motorstorm or BLUR. I didn't like apocalypse nearly as much as the first two MS games, and BLUR was a bit of a mess for me. I don't care about kudos, just give me an arcade-sim racer around cities with amazing visuals. I want to feel the same way I did when I first played PGR3 on 360

Re-read the source.... nvm I forgot it got deleted because the OP self promoted his site, but anyway, a lot of ex-Liverpool guys were kept by Sony and are apparently working on a new game.

I hope so. Doing zone mode and eliminator on wipeout hd/fury is as good as thrilling as taking a car on the nurbugring in GT.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I hope so. Doing zone mode and eliminator on wipeout hd/fury is as good as thrilling as taking a car on the nurbugring in GT.

this is me playing zone mode in wipeout

ibxrnzNE2zhy6t.gif

TheOddOne

Here (in 2009):
Tom Burt was posting on the ‘Customers’ blog over at Tesla and confirmed he was asked to supply sounds for both the PGR and Forza teams with his Tesla Roadster:

“A team of sound engineers from Microsoft Game Studios (some working on Forza, some on Project Gotham Racing) asked if I was willing to take my Roadster to a track so they could record a variety of sounds. Some time ago they had the opportunity to record Tesla motor noises when a prototype was being run on a dyno at Tesla. But the teams were excited about the prospect of recording other sounds, particularly tire skid and squeal noises, without the interference of loud engine and exhaust noise. Of course I said “yes.” ”

While the two games appear to be sharing assets rather closely, it does suggest that it might not be Forza developers Turn 10 in control of the PGR wheel. Or it could be that Turn 10 currently have two teams working on both series, that’s our bet.

My theories:
- Rare has hired some substantial Codemaster staff recently and the head of Rare use to work for Sumo. Could be a co-production between them and Lucid. Check the hires: here, here, here, here, here, here and here.
- If T10 already started in 2009, they might have been searching for a partner to finish the game ala Playground Games. A co-production between T10 and Lucid would not be out of the question.

Shaneus

Here (in 2009):

My theories:
- Rare has hired some substantial Codemaster staff recently and the head of Rare use to work for Sumo. Could be a co-production between them and Lucid. Check the hires: here, here, here, here, here, here and here.
- If T10 already started in 2009, they might have been searching for a partner to finish the game ala Playground Games. A co-production between T10 and Lucid would not be out of the question.
Oh god, I don't want anyone who worked on any Codemasters racing game from the last 10 years involved with anything to do with PGR. One of the main guys who did Showdown? People who worked on F1 Race Stars and F1 2012 and Dirt 3? That's almost enough to completely negate the ridiculous level of admiration I have for the Lucid guys.

I really hope that's not the case. Maybe MS are just going to put them to work on the next Cruis'n franchise or something.

Ding-Ding

Oh god, I don't want anyone who worked on any Codemasters racing game from the last 10 years involved with anything to do with PGR. One of the main guys who did Showdown? People who worked on F1 Race Stars and F1 2012 and Dirt 3? That's almost enough to completely negate the ridiculous level of admiration I have for the Lucid guys.

I really hope that's not the case. Maybe MS are just going to put them to work on the next Cruis'n franchise or something.

I'm really not to sure what is worse. Is it the possibility Rare are involved in the game or that they have some former codemasters devs working there as well (PGR now with piss filter).

I would be alot happier to find out that Rare have no involvement at all

Shaneus

Nintendo owns the rights to the Cruis'n franchise, just wanted to point that out.
Irrelevant though. Fact is, a bunch of ex-Codies guys who worked on some of their worst racing games have joined an MS second-party developer. You should be hoping with all your might that their project is something that isn't PGR related (like Kinect Joyride 2 perhaps?), not needlessly pointing out which IPs MS does and doesn't own :p

Dusky

Don't know about most but Studio Liverpool being pretty much next door to Evolution makes it seem logical that a few of them would at least have ended up there.

TheOddOne

They won't have much input in the design of the game though, that would fall under Lucid. With most of the hires being technical staff, Rare would do the heavy engine lifting.

Considering the fact that tourist trophy was an extension of the GT world in terms of tracks, menus and engines. They should have. What it there to loose? If the game is good and the message is clear it benefits the brand as a whole, doesn't it?

I always found it strange they left tracks exclusive to Tourist Trophy, didn't include them in GT 4 or 5 but thought it would be cool to put them in the PSP version ... PD continue to baffle ...

Cyberia

This guy sure loves to tease.

Joe Anderson ‏@_wotta
@Rushy33 soo excited :D if we are talking about the same thing :D

Joe Anderson ‏@_wotta
Evolution showing off new title in 10 days hopefully :) those 120 people are working on something (awesome).

Joe Anderson ‏@_wotta
February 20. Excited?

Joe Anderson ‏@_wotta
@napalmjam it's a new ip for the next PlayStation and it's gonna be incredible.

Top Bottom