• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWF/WCW Attitude Era (1995-2001): Time to nostalgia over out favorite moments!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm...

I remember:

Anthrax - "Thorn In Your Eye"
then
Union Underground "Across The Nation"

Then I stopped watching wrestling around 2004/2005.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Hmm...

I remember:

then

yeah, i'm thinking this was 1997 or 1998, when RAW got blown out to two hours and got super badass. steve austin was a fairly new phenomenon, mankind and dude love coexisted, psycho sid had just made a big comeback, etc etc

I don't know how to properly thank you for recommending this DVD. Holy crap, everyone needs to see this.

My respect for Bret Hart shot up tremendously after seeing this. All around classy, genuine guy. No-brainer as one of my top two at this point.

I lost the little respect I had left for him. Guy's a bitter liar.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Man, you know a really awesome guy during those times? Kane. Masked Kane. Dude was a force of nature.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Cl0nsbVflzE#t=503s

I mean, he performs 3 of the best chokeslams ever seen in succession. His 1-handed slams were truly the "chokeslams to hell". Look at the pause in the air to the one he gives to HHH.

Trust me - my 12 year old self was marking the fuck out at this segment.

Now, I haven't really paid much attention to wrestling in a decade, but I did catch an ambulance match with him and John Cena like a month or so ago. And.....yeah. Does he get any respect from the higher ups at the company?

Holy fuck at how energetic the crowd was during the chokeslams!

Remember how Val Venis always used to make jokes before his fights, like he'd say "You know, the Big Valbowski is a lot like a jackhammer, I'm always nailing things" or some shit like that. I remember one time Val was fighting Triple H and he was like "You know, the Big Valbowski is a lot like Chyna's thong..." and before he could finish HHH attacked him. I always wondered what the punch line to that was. If I ever meet Val in real life I will ask him this.

Dan Yo

Banned
i remember watching that and i couldnt stop laughing for the life of me at how he walked in all mad.....and then sat there and tried to look mad while holding his pain in.
Holy crap I had never seen that before. I haven't laughed this hard in a long time. Storms to the ring all mad and then immediately lounges out on the ground once he gets there and scolds them while down there. Like he was so much better than everybody else that he couldn't be bothered to stand while yelling at them.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
i remember watching that and i couldnt stop laughing for the life of me at how he walked in all mad.....and then sat there and tried to look mad while holding his pain in.

When it happened I was the only one of my friends who thought something was off. They just figured he was that pissed off.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Hmm...

I remember:

then

Now get the guns, the drugs, From my generation.
I’ll take the fall, the saints, across the nation.
And it’s the sex, the gods, the freaks, the frauds.
They’re messin’ with me, Come on, come on, come on.
Let’s get it on!

krae_man

Remember how Val Venis always used to make jokes before his fights, like he'd say "You know, the Big Valbowski is a lot like a jackhammer, I'm always nailing things" or some shit like that. I remember one time Val was fighting Triple H and he was like "You know, the Big Valbowski is a lot like Chyna's thong..." and before he could finish HHH attacked him. I always wondered what the punch line to that was. If I ever meet Val in real life I will ask him this.

"You know something. Val Venus has solved the Y2K problem. Cuse after you've uploaded this hard drive and downloaded this RAM you won't care what year it is"

Now get the guns, the drugs, From my generation.
I’ll take the fall, the saints, across the nation.
And it’s the sex, the gods, the freaks, the frauds.
They’re messin’ with me, Come on, come on, come on.
Let’s get it on!
Amazing.

I don't remember the lyrics being that intense.

As much as I liked the "Thorn In Your Eye" track that song was a solid replacement.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Because he's all up in her ass.

Moofers

nWo, Mankind/Dudelove/Cactus Jack saga, Rock n Sock Connection, Stone Cold, fuckin GOLDBERG, Masked/Mute Kane, DX vs Nation of Domination, Crow version of Sting before it got old, Jim Ross, Ric Flair's back cyst, and everything else about that time was what made late 90's wrestling the fuckin BEST WRESTLING.

Pour one out, it'll never recapture that magic.

*on further reflection, they let too many losers into nWo. Konan, Scotty, and a couple others should have never been let in.

Dan Yo

Banned
nWo, Mankind/Dudelove/Cactus Jack saga, Rock n Sock Connection, Stone Cold, fuckin GOLDBERG, Masked/Mute Kane, DX vs Nation of Domination, Crow version of Sting before it got old, Jim Ross, Ric Flair's back cyst, and everything else about that time was what made late 90's wrestling the fuckin BEST WRESTLING.

Pour one out, it'll never recapture that magic.

*on further reflection, they let too many losers into nWo. Konan, Scotty, and a couple others should have never been let in.
WCW towards the end of the attitude era should not even be considered as part of this celebration. '96 to part of '98 though is where WCW gets its mentions. That was pretty much when most stopped caring anyway.

I'd still like to hear your thoughts on this. I can get the bitter part, but what did he lie about?

He keeps changing his story on what happened between him, Shawn, and Vince. If you watch the DVD you'll hear how it was all a work the whole time! Ridiculous... Just watch his DVD, and then watch the Bret/Shawn DVD and you will see the hypocrisy. Not to mention his opinion on WCW.

He says WCW always sucked, that Vince paid him really well and that he never wanted to leave the WWF and would've put Shawn over (Vince DID pay him well BTW). Well, why did he leave then? WCW always was the better company.

His bitterness towards Hogan and WCW because he's a one dimensional wrestler and couldn't cut it in a company with superstars like Hulk, Savage, Flair, etc.

He also blames politics on his failure, which is hilarious since he has ALWAYS had creative control.

But these guys are always working, whether it's the WWE trying to diminish Randy Savage and them trying to push HBK and HHH as legends, or it's Bret saying the heat between him and Shawn was a work the whole time and he would've put him over if Vince just asked...

Dan Yo

Banned
He keeps changing his story on what happened between him, Shawn, and Vince. If you watch the DVD you'll hear how it was all a work the whole time!

or it's Bret saying the heat between him and Shawn was a work the whole time and he would've put him over if Vince just asked...
So let me get this straight, in the Bret Hart DVD, he says that the entire time him and Shawn never had any beef and all the stories we heard about heat backstage were a lie?

He says WCW always sucked, that Vince paid him really well and that he never wanted to leave the WWF and would've put Shawn over (Vince DID pay him well BTW). Well, why did he leave then? WCW always was the better company.

Bret signed that 20-year deal with WWF that would have paid 1.5 million a year as an active wrestler for a few years, then he was going to have a role as an agent for the remainder. So he did choose WWF over WCW. Then Vince came to Bret and said the company was having financial problems and wanted to defer money until later. And then...

Wrestling Observer Newsletter Nov. 16 1997 said:
September 22, 1997 - On the day of the Raw taping at Madison Square Garden, McMahon told Bret Hart flat out that they were going to intentionally breach his contract because they couldn't afford the deal. He told a shocked Hart that he should go to World Championship Wrestling and make whatever deal he could with that group.

So, Vince tried really hard to push him out the door basically.

krae_man

So let me get this straight, in the Bret Hart DVD, he says that the entire time him and Shawn never had any beef and all the stories we heard about heat backstage were a lie?

No he says the handshake refusal after the Iron Man match at Wrestlemania 12 was a work, HBK saying "Get the fuck out of my ring" wasn't anything to do with HBK being pissed. In Brets words in the ring you're just blunt and succinct with each other and that's all it was. He said it was all planned out for a Rematch at Wrestlemania 13.

Heat did begin to build between Brets return and the Montreal Screwjob with the hole Sunny days thing, HBK's superkick on Bret in a wheelchair not making air etc.

Wendels twisting things to support his position. He's no better then what he's claiming Bret is doing.

I was always wwf. Never watched a full nitro or wcw ppv. Jericho was the only reason I watched once in a blue. His RAW debut will always be one of my favorite moments ever. I was so surprised and happy. Today's fans would have shitted on the rock for "burying" him. When wwf won the war, was such an epic episode of Raw. One thing I never understand is why people shit on Vince for buying the company. Wcw was going down no matter what. Vince only wanted the trademarkes and library. He didn't kill the competition, Wcw did that to themselves.

Dan Yo

Banned
No he says the handshake refusal after the Iron Man match at Wrestlemania 12 was a work, HBK saying "Get the fuck out of my ring" wasn't anything to do with HBK being pissed. In Brets words in the ring you're just blunt and succinct with each other and that's all it was. He said it was all planned out for a Rematch at Wrestlemania 13.

Heat did begin to build between Brets return and the Montreal Screwjob with the hole Sunny days thing, HBK's superkick on Bret in a wheelchair not making air etc.

Wendels twisting things to support his position. He's no better then what he's claiming Bret is doing.
Yup pretty much what I thought. Just wanted to have it confirmed since I didn't watch the Bret DVD and only saw the Greatest Rivalries one so I didn't know for sure that he did not contradict himself in an earlier DVD or interview.

Dan Yo

Banned
I was always wwf. Never watched a full nitro or wcw ppv. Jericho was the only reason I watched once in a blue. His RAW debut will always be one of my favorite moments ever. I was so surprised and happy. Today's fans would have shitted on the rock for "burying" him. When wwf won the war, was such an epic episode of Raw. One thing I never understand is why people shit on Vince for buying the company. Wcw was going down no matter what. Vince only wanted the trademarkes and library. He didn't kill the competition, Wcw did that to themselves.
I don't think they shit on him for buying it (although it would have been nice if instead of him buying it, Bischoff bought it and ran it the way it should've been run before corporate restrictions ultimately killed the WCW). They shit on him for being petty towards WCW and its talent after the acquisition. He and the WWF seemed more interested in making a mockery of everything that was WCW, as if it somehow made him feel better about all of the anger and resentment he held towards them while they were beating the pants off of WWF for 2 years in a row.

Not only did they completely blow what could have been an extremely interesting story opportunity that would have been a win situation for all fans of wrestling, they decided they didn't have to do shit but ridicule them for a bit before moving on. Why not? Not like they need to do something cool with it to excite the fans. Their competition was gone now.

Sting refused to make the jump with the rest of the guys. He watched what was going to happen with this acquisition before jumping in, saw an instance where Booker T, a prominent WCW wrestler, was pretty much ridiculed on air as if he were a nobody, and rightfully decided that he could not trust the WWF with him, his character, or his future in the business.

It was just really careless, petty, and myopic on Vince's part and he deserves to be shitted on for the entire handling of that situation.

Vespene

At first I was like:

WWE-Catches-Classic-Diva-Sunny.jpg

Then I was like:

tammylynnsytch20056gd.jpg

I don't think they shit on him for buying it (although it would have been nice if instead of him buying it, Bischoff bought it and ran it the way it should've been run before corporate restrictions ultimately killed the WCW). They shit on him for being petty towards WCW and its talent after the acquisition. He and the WWF seemed more interested in making a mockery of everything that was WCW, as if it somehow made him feel better about all of the anger and resentment he held towards them while they were beating the pants off of WWF for 2 years in a row.

Not only did they completely blow what could have been an extremely interesting story opportunity that would have been a win situation for all fans of wrestling, they decided they didn't have to do shit but ridicule them for a bit before moving on. Why not? Not like they need to do something cool with it to excite the fans. Their competition was gone now.

Sting refused to make the jump with the rest of the guys. He watched what was going to happen with this acquisition before jumping in, saw an instance where Booker T, a prominent WCW wrestler, was pretty much ridiculed on air as if he were a nobody, and rightfully decided that he could not trust the WWF with him, his character, or his future in the business.

It was just really careless, petty, and myopic on Vince's part and he deserves to be shitted on for the entire handling of that situation.

I agree to an extent. But wwf pushed more of the Wcw guys the Wcw did. Jericho, Eddie guerrero, Benoit, Rey mysterio, and booker t did get a couple title runs runs at least. Goldberg had a pretty big push too considering it was a 1 year deal. The fact that Sting would work for Vince Russo (the years that killed Wcw) and a shitty TNA, but doesn't trust McMahon just makes me think he's an idiot. I personally think Vince would treat and pay him very well to job to Taker at WM.

Dan Yo

Banned
I agree to an extent. But wwf pushed more of the Wcw guys the Wcw did. Jericho, Eddie guerrero, Benoit, Rey mysterio, and booker t did get a couple title runs runs at least. Goldberg had a pretty big push too considering it was a 1 year deal. The fact that Sting would work for Vince Russo (the years that killed Wcw) and a shitty TNA, but doesn't trust McMahon just makes me think he's an idiot. I personally think Vince would treat and pay him very well to job to Taker at WM.
All of the guys you mentioned with the exception of Booker T left the WCW and came to the WWF before the acquisition was made. They were no longer WCW as far as Vince was concerned.

As for Sting, ya, he isn't making as much as he used to, but if they had done to his character what they did to Booker T's character, he would not only be out of work today, but his legacy would have ended as a punchline to a joke. I don't fault him for not trusting the way they'd have handled him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom