• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FyreWulff

Why... why are the Republicans not taking every chance to distance themselves right now.

This is going very badly for them and it's a very serious matter. They can't just weasel word around it or complain on Fox News and have it magically go away. There isn't a scary black man they can blame this on.

And yet they're sitting here, trying to own this thing as their own...

they're so desperate to have a presidency that they've lost all sense of self esteem

Blader

Something that occurred to me this morning:

Does anyone else think Trump is going to have serious difficulties in 2020 both campaigning for re-election and simultaneously governing as president? I'm thinking of a Chris Christie or Marco Rubio situation where they completely abdicate their real responsibilities because they've thrown themselves into campaigning -- something that Trump is much more interested in than governing anyway.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Something that occurred to me this morning:

Does anyone else think Trump is going to have serious difficulties in 2020 both campaigning for re-election and simultaneously governing as president? I'm thinking of a Chris Christie or Marco Rubio situation where they completely abdicate their real responsibilities because they've thrown themselves into campaigning -- something that Trump is much more interested in than governing anyway.

Trump not governing will help his reputation - less fuck ups.

Veelk

Banned
That's implicit in the analogy! That's why you're not supposed to grab the tiger by the tail, if you let go it will eat you!

That seems like a pretty lame tiger if it's not flexible enough to get to you just because you've grabbed it's tail. My friend's cat mauls the shit out of anyone who grabs her tail, she doesn't give a fuck

pigeon

Banned
Okay, I should've said once you start riding the tiger, etc. etc. In fairness the two tiger-related idioms have ALMOST the same meanings.

Blader

This Politico piece on Nixon's press secretary, Ron Zieleg, is something else:

But while Ziegler's role grew more important during Nixon's final days in office (as by then most of the others in Nixon's original team had been forced out or resigned), he largely remained a chess piece, not a player. Other White House aides tended not to respect him—the Secret Service code name for the double-chinned press secretary was ”Whaleboat" and when he objected, his snickering superiors told the Service to ignore him.

Ziegler's immediate predecessors—George Christian, Bill Moyers and George Reedy under Lyndon Johnson, Pierre Salinger under John F. Kennedy, James Hagerty under Dwight D. Eisenhower and Steve Early under Franklin Roosevelt—were former journalists, who knew the media's trade and tricks, and respected the contributions of a free press. They could put their feet up on a desk, cradle a drink, and share confidences with their former colleagues.

Ziegler was different. His most notable experience as a spokesman, the press never tired of noting, was as the talking guide on the jungle cruise ride at Disneyland.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/03/ron-ziegler-abused-press-secretary-sean-spicer-214922

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I won't be able to check in on the Comey rundown till tonight. So just let me know, on a scale of "itsfuckingnothing.gif" to "itshappening.gif" where are we ranking today?

Edit: please note "whynotboth.gif" is only acceptable in multiple choice answers, not qualitative scales

Wilsongt

Not sure if this is new information or not, but apparently Nunes owns a stake in a winery that has a Russian distributor that is close to Putin.
https://twitter.com/funder/status/843890954285305856

I need to be in the hospital onna ventilator due to all of this smoke.

I won't be able to check in on the Comey rundown till tonight. So just let me know, on a scale of "itsfuckingnothing.gif" to "itshappening.gif" where are we ranking today?

It's kind if happening? Slowly.

jmdajr

we_aint_found_shit.gif

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Worst case scenario was Comey saying there is nothing there.
Followed by a pissed off Comey dumping what they have, in otherwords smoke but no fire.
What happened; a quiet Comey saying there is an investigation.

It's too early to say when shit will hit the fan, but the what seems to be something more than smoke. The primary question is more who.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
This was literally the best actual possible case scenario that could have happened today. They have definitively shot down Trump's bullshit wiretapping claims, and the White House continuing to push it make themselves look even worse. And they directly confirmed they are investigating the president and his associates.

There was never any chance of Comey dropping the bomb and Trump being in handcuffs today. Any other actual outcome today was worse than this.

This was literally the best actual possible case scenario that could have happened today. They have definitively shot down Trump's bullshit wiretapping claims, and the White House continuing to push it make themselves look even worse. And they directly confirmed they are investigating the president and his associates.

There was never any chance of Comey dropping the bomb and Trump being in handcuffs today. Any other actual outcome today was worse than this.

Plus, I mean, we got Congressman Heck's awesome speech, as well as getting to see how craven the Republicans are in trying to deflect from Trump's Russia ties. The real thing to watch will be the Senate hearing, because I think Comey just added 3+ names to his list of "People with ties" to investigate.

pigeon

Banned
"Are you investigating Trump personally?"
"I can't comment on that."

Not sure what you wanted if that didn't do it for you.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I'm encouraged by Comey's testimony. He's stonewalling, and he's taking it seriously. He seems very wary of some of the Republicans, especially Nunes. And it Trump fires Comey, he gets dumpstered.

Still too early to say, but it's encouraging. Cautious optimism. In a decade we might look back on Comey as a hero.

I'm encouraged by Comey's testimony. He's stonewalling, and he's taking it seriously. He seems very wary of some of the Republicans, especially Nunes. And it Trump fires Comey, he gets dumpstered.

Still too early to say, but it's encouraging. Cautious optimism. In a decade we might look back on Comey as a hero.

trump can't fire comey right?

Him and the GOP will have to deal with the next year or so of constantly dreading when the next bit of information from this case will be released. Never knowing when it's going to happen.

A nightmare scenario for them would be arrests starting in mid/late October 2018. Right now a lot of them are probably not sweating because they know they control everything and can protect each other. When that protection is gone and impeachments for various people are on the table with majority Democrats in all offices, the real fun will start.

Can Democrats stop Gorsuch by the fact no one should be permanently seated by someone with an active treasonous investigation into them by the FBI? Cant imagine if Trump and company are found guilty his SC justice gets to keep his job. It'd be like, 5-4 decision with the decisive vote by traitor Trump's pick, Gorsuch.

Gorsuch couldnt possibly keep the spot.if Trump goes down, right? Shouldnt be seated with Trump under investigation.

Can Democrats stop Gorsuch by the fact no one should be permanently seated by someone with an active treasonous investigation into them by the FBI? Cant imagine if Trump and company are found guilty his SC justice gets to keep his job. It'd be like, 5-4 decision with the decisive vote by traitor Trump's pick, Gorsuch.

Gorsuch couldnt possibly keep the spot.if Trump goes down, right? Shouldnt be seated with Trump under investigation.
They can just filibuster him for 2 years if they feel like they have the political power to do so (they do)

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
So, is the best case for Trump is that he has no direct involvement, just the Russians supported him knowing he was a horrible choice?

Vestal

Gold Member
So, is the best case for Trump is that he has no direct involvement, just the Russians supported him knowing he was a horrible choice?

I think we are past that as best case to, he had no direct knowledge but someone in his campaign or sphere of influence actively engaged with Russia to get him elected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom