• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 BC problems...?

Dahbomb

Yeah this is far better than I expected.

All those games actually work and play (except FFXI which is a different case altogether) and some of those are just weird stuff like "Glitches in Audio" which I am sure 90% are in the actual PS2 game itself.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
gofreak said:
I was confused too, but this is coming from a searchable database on Sony's site, listing the BC status of games:

http://www.jp.playstation.com/ps3/status/index.cgi

That's where he's getting this from. He's looked through the first 1000 titles so far, I think.

ohhhh okay. my other question was going to be how did he get 1000 games and try them out so fast :lol

at least there're firmware updates for this stuff as opposed to on the PS2.

Mmmkay

Apparently there were updates for backwards compatibility with the 1.10 firmware:

General
- Playstation Network Service goes live.
- European language keyboard input support.

Settings
- Option to choose CD audio output frequency.
- ATRAC support added.
- Added aditional keyboard layouts.
- Cross colour reduction filter (?) support added.
- Screen saver now turns on after 5 minutes.

Video
-

Network
- You can now store videos and music downloaded from the Internet onto the built in hard-drive.
- Content is now available to download from the Playstation Store for:
Playstation 3
PSP (firmware version 3.0 and above)
- The browser now supports display for traditional and simplified Chinese.
- Online manual added.

Other
- Hard-drive size calculation method improved.
Free space now calculated accurately using 1024MB = 1GB, instead of 1000
- Playstation 1/2 software system renewed. For a list of modifications check the relevant site.
Translation by Onken at SA.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
So are there really no enhancements at all for PS1 or PS2 games?

Does the PS3 even do the texture smoothing/fast loading the PS2 did for PS1 games?

What about output resolution? Does the PS3 at least scale the games or does it only output 480i/480p depending on the game and let the TV do the upscaling?

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Jack Random said:
i dont see why PS2 BC is that big a deal, i mean, who doesnt have a PS2?

Edit: not that i am looking to get a PS3 or anything
I donÄt have one, but want to be able to play Okami with a PS3.

rc213

Yoshi said:
I donÄt have one, but want to be able to play Okami with a PS3.

Me too. :D But I am not worried since Sony already said they would move backwards compatibility through software emulation. So it will hopefully be updated as issues are found with games.

Lionheart

Already a firmware update on day 1! :D I wonder if we'll have PS3s in Europe before they hit 2.0 (unlike like PSP's 2.0 IIRC, though that one came on an extra UMD).

Great to see they're still improving the backward compatibility though. Wonder if the BC games database that's up now is for 1.00 or 1.10?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Mefisutoferesu said:
1st 1500 games:

DMC at title video screws up
Phantom Brave Characters missing/ title video screws up
Snagoku Musou 3 BGM
Valkyrie Profile BGM
SO3 Audio glitching
GT4 title Black screen after title demo
VP2 playback screw ups
FFXI HDD support
OZ best save failure
Choas Field New Order temp screen glitches
Metal Slug 4 Screen glitches
Xenosaga 2 Movie freezing
Tekken 5 BGM issues
minna no golf 4 button lag
Nanobreaker freezing at movies
Code Age Commanders Save problems
Shikigami no shirou BGM
Super Robot Taisen Alpha Premium Audio
Ace Combat 5 Screen freeze at new game movie
Shin Sangoku musou 3 mega pack BGM
Shin Sangoku musou 3 best BGM
OZ save failure
Capcom Retro Games 4 BGM
Capcom Retro 3 BGM
Shikigami no Shirou 2 character audio
Burnout 3 sound effects
Front Mission Online HDD
C@M Station??? HDD
Spectral Force Chronicle Screen temp clitches
Tekken 5 BGM
Winning Elven 8 Movie screen freeze
Onimusha best movie audio issues
FFXI HDD
Zeonic Front Gundam 0079 one specific spot it screws up
VP BGM
Nanobreaker same as first
Radiata Stories Movie BGM screw up
GT4 Black screen after title demo
Nobunaga's ambition Online HDD
EUROPEAN CLUB SOCCER Winning Eleven Tactics Freezes at movie
Crash Bandicoot Cortex's ambition games screen screws up
Densha de GO! Movie audio
Magnacarta title movie freezes (hooray?)
Disgaea After a movie characters can disappear/screw up
Way of the Samurai 2 after a certain point character serif (????) screws up
Armored Core Ninebreaker backgrounds screw up

OK. In additon to this list are a number of pachinko and H/love games that do not work. Beyond that there are also a number of crappy games, which no one should care about that I didn't list. Almost anything from IF has issues (spectral souls etc), a couple simple 2000 games, etc. There's an interesting problem with the list, some game are list several times, like say OZ, which appears 4 times so far. Each one has the same problem so that seems to inflate the issue. There are also instances where certain games appear several times, but has problems in some but not others (Koei is the king of this so far). Yukes also seems to have a bunch of problems, but I doubt anyone cares. It's a bit of a mess. Oh, also, many of these are all possabilities... it MAY screw up, not it WILL screw up.

I'm done for now. I have other stuff to do, sorry.

Others might miss this on the second page, so I'll quote it here.

Cheers, much appreciated!

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Fatghost said:
So are there really no enhancements at all for PS1 or PS2 games?

Does the PS3 even do the texture smoothing/fast loading the PS2 did for PS1 games?

What about output resolution? Does the PS3 at least scale the games or does it only output 480i/480p depending on the game and let the TV do the upscaling?

All enhancements seem to be coming when the actual BC software comes out. For now, on the PS3 that are being released first, the systems are using the physical processors in the PS1 and PS2 for BC.

When the actual Emulation Software comes out we'll probably see enhancements, its still up in the air as to what the enhancements will be though.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
BlueTsunami said:
All enhancements seem to be coming when the actual BC software comes out. For now, on the PS3 that are being released first, the systems are using the physical processors in the PS1 and PS2 for BC.

When the actual Emulation Software comes out we'll probably see enhancements, its still up in the air as to what the enhancements will be though.

I know there are no enhancements.

However, the PS2 provides minor PS1 enhancements in hardware, and since the PS3 uses PS2 hardware, I want to know if these built in enhancements are carried forward.

Also, the PS3 has an internal scaler that scales output to your screen the way the X360 does. You can select if your PS3 will output 480i/p, 720p, 1080p, etc. I want to know if this carries forward to PS1/PS2 output. I know the PS3 doesn't internally re-render BC games at a higher resolution, but I want to know if it scales the output like it would with other video.

birdchili

Free space now calculated accurately using 1024MB = 1GB, instead of 1000

hehe. what programmer made that mistake?

'tis a shame there aren't any genuine improvements to ps2 games though - use of the hard drive to massively reduce load times would be a fine perk.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Fatghost said:
I know there are no enhancements.

However, the PS2 provides minor PS1 enhancements in hardware, and since the PS3 uses PS2 hardware, I want to know if these built in enhancements are carried forward.

I'm not sure how enhancements on the PS2 for PS1 games work but as far as the enhancements go, there probably helped with software (as far as the smoothing effects) and the base BC is used primarily ran with the PS1 components inside (Obviously). I don't think its fully fully hardware.

Fatghost said:
Also, the PS3 has an internal scaler that scales output to your screen the way the X360 does. You can select if your PS3 will output 480i/p, 720p, 1080p, etc. I want to know if this carries forward to PS1/PS2 output. I know the PS3 doesn't internally re-render BC games at a higher resolution, but I want to know if it scales the output like it would with other video.

I'm not sure how the PS3 is handling the PS1/PS2 games in this sense though

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Someone posted a link to IGN in another thread, apparently the PS3 does not even upscale the output - it's 480i/p only.

OK, I'm not gonna do that listing again, since it's too much for too little, so instead I'm gonna do a list of games that concern ME - big name games.

Breath of Fire V - NP
Capcom vs SNK2 Millionaire (all variations) - NP
Chrono Cross - NP
Devil May Cry 1 - Title demo sometime freezes.
Devil May Cry 2 - NP
Devil May Cry 3 - NP
Devil May Cry 3 SE - NP
Devil Summoner - NP
Digital Devil Saga ~Avatar Tuner~ - NP
Digital Devil Saga ~Avatar Tuner 2~ - NP
Dragon Quest IV - NP
Dragon Quest V - NP
Dragon Quest VII - NP
Dragon Quest VIII - NP
Final Fantasy VII - NP
Final Fantasy VIII - NP
Final Fantasy IX - NP
Final Fantasy X - NP
Final Fantasy XI - HDD games will be added in an update
Final Fantasy X2 - NP
Final Fantasy XII - NP
God of War - NP
Godhand - NP
Grandia - NP
Grandia 2 - NP
Grandia Extreme - NP
Grandia 3 - NP
Guilty Gear (Entire series) - NP
ICO - NP
Katamari Damashi - NP
Katamari Damashi 2 - NP
Kingdom Hearts - NP
Kingdom Hearts ~Final Mix~ - NP
Kingdom Hearts 2 - NP
MARVEL vs CAPCOM - NP
MARVEL vs CAPCOM 2 (all variations) - NP
Metal Gear Solid 1 (variations included) - NP
Metal Gear Solid 2 (variations included) - NP
Metal Gear Solid 3 (variations included) - NP
Metal Slug Series - NP except for following
Metal Slug - Screen freezes at stage 2, and sometimes screen screws up.
Metal Slug 4 (all variations) - Images don't move properly sometimes, artifacting?.
Metal Slug X (cheap version) - Hasn't been tested.
Metal Slug X - Sometimes game BGM messes up.
Namco X Capcom - NP
Onimusha 1 - Sometimes the audio doesn't play right during movies.
Onimusha 2 - NP
Onimusha 3 - NP
Onimusha 4 - Best hits version is fine /the original has the screen shifted 2cm to the right.
Ookami - NP
Persona 3 - NP
Shadow Hearts 1 - NP
Shadow Hearts 2 - NP
Shadow Hearts 3 - NP
Shin Megami Tensei 3 - NP
Star Ocean 3 - There are some instances where movie audio doesn't play.
Street Fighter 3rd Strike (all variations including it except Aniversary) - NP
Hyper Street Fighter II Anniversary Edition: There are several scenes in the game that don't appear properly. There are times when the SF movie plays improperly
Tales of the Abyss - NP
Tales of Phantasia - NP
Tales of Eternia - Being verified as of printing. The megapack version works though.
Tales of Destiny - NP
Tales of Destiny 2 - NP
Tales of Rebirth - NP
Tales of Symphonia - NP
Tales of Legendia - NP
Valkyrie Profile - Some BGMs/sound effects don't play right during gameplay
Valkyrie Profile Silmeria - Sometimes audio plays funny during certain movies.
Wanda to Kyozou - NP
Wild Arms 3 - NP
Wild Arms Alter Code F - NP
Wild Arms 4 - NP
Xenogears - NP
Xenosaga 1 - NP
Xenosaga Freaks - NP
Xenosaga 2 - Sometimes the opening movie freezes / the audio doesn't play right.
Xenosaga 3 - NP
Zone of the Enders - NP
Zone of the Enders 2 - NP

That's all my stuff. Relatively unscathed.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Mefisutoferesu said:
OK, I'm not gonna do that listing again, since it's too much for too little, so instead I'm gonna do a list of games that concern ME - big name games.

Street Fighter 3rd Strike (all variations including it except Aniversary) - NP

That's all my stuff. Relatively unscathed.

Is this from some official list or did you test these out yourself?

And why is SF Anniversary not listed? DON'T SCARE ME MAN!

Mmmkay

DCharlie said:
p.s. NO save game transfer cables were available for us this morning.
Yeah I read a report (damn I can't remember quite where) that they had inventory problems with some of their accessories. Specifically named was the adapter, and that it would only make half the expected quantity for launch.

M3wThr33

Banned
What format are the PS2 saves stored as on the PS3?
Could I just use the Action Replay, back it up onto my USB stick and plug that over?

Mmmkay said:
Yeah I read a report (damn I can't remember quite where) that they had inventory problems with some of their accessories.

I know that the Futureshop website here in Canada just put a notice saying that they would not be receiving BD movie remotes on launch day. Perhaps the accessory problem is widespread.

Fatghost said:
Is this from some official list or did you test these out yourself?

And why is SF Anniversary not listed? DON'T SCARE ME MAN!

It simply wasn't listed like MGS3. unless the JP version is called: Hyper Street Fighter II Anniversary Edition... ... I think it is...

Hyper Street Fighter II Anniversary Edition: There are several scenes in the game that don't appear properly. There are times when the SF movie plays improperly.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Yeah I read a report (damn I can't remember quite where) that they had inventory problems with some of their accessories. Specifically named was the adapter, and that it would only make half the expected quantity for launch.

i was seventh in line at Tsutaya - they had zero units. :(

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Mefisutoferesu said:
It simply wasn't listed like MGS3. unless the JP version is called: Hyper Street Fighter II Anniversary Edition... ... I think it is...

Hyper Street Fighter II Anniversary Edition: There are several scenes in the game that don't appear properly. There are times when the SF movie plays improperly.

Well, in North America both Third Strike and SF2 HF Anniversary shipped on the same DVD as SF Anniversary Collection.

Third Strike working perfectly is AWESOME. Hopefully there isn't a problem with the two-in-one disc we have here.

As for Hyper SF2 AE, "some scenes don't appear" I dunno what that means, I guess they mean backgrounds? Disturbing if true, hopefully it's fixed.

Any mention on the list for Marvel vs Capcom 2, Guilty Gear X2, Capcom vs SNK2 and any of the Metal Slugs?

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
M3wThr33 said:
What format are the PS2 saves stored as on the PS3?
Could I just use the Action Replay, back it up onto my USB stick and plug that over?

I'm thinking that should work. The format stays the same regardless.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Hmm...I wonder if I can use my PS2 with execftp and transfer my save games to my PC...then putting them on a USB stick. That'd be awesome if I can

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Leidenfrost said:
I know that the Futureshop website here in Canada just put a notice saying that they would not be receiving BD movie remotes on launch day. Perhaps the accessory problem is widespread.

It was never supposed to be out at lauch anyways. It's out in December.

Namco X Capcom - NP
MARVEL vs CAPCOM - NP
MARVEL vs CAPCOM 2 (all variations) - NP
Guilty Gear (Entire series) - NP
Capcom vs SNK2 Millionaire (all variations) - NP
Metal Slug - Screen freezes at stage 2, and sometimes screen screws up.
Metal Slug 4 (all variations) - Images don't move properly sometimes, artifacting?.
Metal Slug X (cheap version) - Hasn't been tested.
Metal Slug X - Sometimes game BGM messes up.

LOL, I did a search for GGX and got MGS3!! NP, by the way.

PS3 BC => List of a few games with some issues between 10.000 playable titles.
X360 BC => List of a few games supported, some of them with issues.

Sony am fail?

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
DarienA said:
Conclusion is we're not getting 100% BC, anyone who thought we were.. pipe dreamin.
BC is not 100% hw (read below), and unlike PS2, it's actually firmware upgradeable. Depending if Sony cares about it or not - it could go up to 100% with updates.

TheIkariWarrior said:
IIRC, and i might be wrong, the EE+GS chip in the slim PS2 emulates less PS1 games than the old PS2, and emulates some games worse.
The issue affects only newer Slims (a revision released about 12months after original PS2 Slim) and it has absolutely nothing to do with EE+GS, it's the PS1 chipset that was replaced by emulated one that altered compatibility (affecting a total of about 30 titles IIRC, and I believe they are still all playable regardless).

that chip is in the first-gen PS3... so who knows.
It's not using the same PS2 EE&GS (though similar) and PS1 chipset afaik is handled entirely in software (which is the more likely cause for compatibility issues - most of the reported problems are pointing to issues with sound and I/O).

cvxfreak

Onimusha 1 - Sometimes the audio doesn't play right during movies.

You know, the same thing happened with Genma Onimusha on the 360's BC. The audio would skip occasionally. I wonder if it has something to do with that game's audio codec.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Hey, PS2 didn't have 100% perfect BC with PS1 either.

PS3's BC is on par with PS2's, which is more impressive considering how limited MS's BC is.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Time Crisis - NP
Time Crisis Project Titan - NP
Time Crisis II - NP
Time Crisis 3 - NP
Point Blank Collection + Time Crisis - Guncon2 not recognized?
Vampire Night - Guncon2 not recognized?
Gun Survivor 4 Biohazard - Guncon2 aiming is not recognized at the calibration screen
Biohazard Outbreak File#2 - NP
Biohazard 4 - NP

Oni Jazar

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/745/745329p1.html

November 10, 2006 - If you plan on picking up a PlayStation 3 anytime soon and are worried about the dent that the system and its peripherals will put in your wallet, you may want to consider picking up some USB adapters for the PS2's Dual Shock 2 controller. These relatively cheap adapters are made for using a Dual Shock 2 on a PC, but they seem to work quite well with every PlayStation 3 game that we've tried. You need to switch on the analog button when you plug them in and they're missing the PlayStation button that brings up the Cross Media Bar, but other than that they seem perfectly functional.

With that, we assumed that Guitar Hero and its sequel would work perfectly well on the PlayStation 3. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case. When you pop in a PS2 or PSone game, you're prompted to tap the PlayStation button on the controller. For what reason, we're not sure, but as Guitar Hero's SG controller doesn't have this button, you can't actually activate it. You also can't quick-swap from one controller to another as the second part of the problem lies in that you need to turn on analog control, but again, the SG guitar doesn't have an on/off button for analog play.

januswon

In Japan, there are 4928 PS titles and 4554 PS2 titles
http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/data/bizdatatitle_e.html

PS3 Backward Compatibility Status
http://www.jp.playstation.com/ps3/status/

per the PS3 BC List, there are 4254 PS titles and 3587 PS2 titles
so the BC List covers around 80%+ PS/PS2 titles

----- Total BC List Not Listed
PS1 4928 4254(86%*) 674(14%)
PS2 4554 3587(79%*) 967(21%)

However, some of the PS/PS2 games in the BC List still suffer BC issues

I have a quick scan of the Koei PS/PS2 titles in the BC List:

Code:
-----  BC List    OK    InProgress    BC Issue
--------------------------------------------------
PS1     103       43          49               11
PS2     241     228           0                13

I have a USB Magic Box adapter for my PC (allows you to play with a Dual Shock, Saturn or Dreamcast controller)

I will test out out PS2 Dual Shocks, PS2 Saturn Controlelrs, and Sega Saturn Controllers

if all goes well, Virtua Fighter 5 will have the aproprate Saturn feel in march... that's if it recognises my USB Magic Box adapter

cvxfreak

Hmm... looking up the Biohazard games:

Gun Survivor 2 - sometimes the demonstration video stops
Biohazard 2 Dual Shock Ver. - main menu does not display completely
Biohazard 2 Demo (from BHDC) - the cardiogram in the items menu does not display

And then the Silent Hill games:

Silent Hill - there seems to be a noise irregularity when attacking an enemy with the handgun
Silent Hill 2 - same problem as Gun Survivor 2 (I may have translated wrong)

Onimusha:

Onimusha - intro movie music skips
Shin Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams - sometimes the title screen image is 2cm to the right

Mandoric

Banned
For what it's worth, a "serif" is just a single line of dialogue; the things your characters would say during battle, or the like.

Red Scarlet

Thanks for that list, Mefisutoferesu, you had all my PS2 games in there but 1, and a good amount of the PS1 games I'd be wondering about. :)

Tabris

I love how not only does Sony have a status update on which games have issue with BC but have already made an update!

Top Bottom