• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread |OT2| All Riffs, No Gifs

jmdajr

So even though it's tomorrow, I am posting this today because a) I literally just remembered now and b) I won't be online much, if at all, tomorrow, so might as well post it now...

Tomorrow Jul. 7th will be the 15th anniversary of the Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives. Pretty happy that we've come this far and grown to be the #1 online resource for metal. Big thanks to all the contributors over the years, big and small, and our tireless* moderators for making it possible to make the site as comprehensive and high quality as it is.

Someone in our chatroom asked what my favourite M-A moment is. I'm not sure what that would be, but I think it could be the 2012 April Fools prank, where we put up the FBI takedown notice (similar to Megaupload) which freaked the hell out of people. Even had folks IRL tell me that I got them good. Laughed so hard at that.

* Not actually tireless, I know they get tired and fed up and all that, because it's a thankless shite job for sure. But they sure are brave and strong-willed and I am forever grateful to them <3

This is pretty awesome. Congrats. I have no doubt stumbled upon there multiple times looking for Metal Band info through the ages.

I would also go to another site a lot called BNR Metal Pages. Hell it's still up!

Metal Rules is still there too after all these years.

XShagrath

I'm going to be
in September.

Hopefully they, won't be coming after me

edit: I was going through my CD collection and looking at all the concert stubs I kept. For sure.. I got some feels.

I just turned the same age a couple months ago. The style of music I'm most into has changed from mostly black and death metal to more centered around power and progressive stuff with some melodic death metal thrown in. However, I'm always discovering new and old bands I've never heard before and finding new stuff to listen to.

My concert going is just getting stronger as well. I just saw Metallica last night (for the first time), and I'm hitting up ProgPower in Atlanta in a couple months. Any time a band I like is either here (Orlando) or Tampa, I'm there. If it's much further, it's gotta be something special, such as Maiden in Ft. Lauderdale last year.

I understand how peoples' priorities can change drastically over the years, but my responsibilities are fairly low, and my schedule permits me to pretty much see shows any day of the week without any problems.

jmdajr

I just turned the same age a couple months ago. The style of music I'm most into has changed from mostly black and death metal to more centered around power and progressive stuff with some melodic death metal thrown in. However, I'm always discovering new and old bands I've never heard before and finding new stuff to listen to.

My concert going is just getting stronger as well. I just saw Metallica last night (for the first time), and I'm hitting up ProgPower in Atlanta in a couple months. Any time a band I like is either here (Orlando) or Tampa, I'm there. If it's much further, it's gotta be something special, such as Maiden in Ft. Lauderdale last year.

I understand how peoples' priorities can change drastically over the years, but my responsibilities are fairly low, and my schedule permits me to pretty much see shows any day of the week without any problems.

I actually saw Metallica last month. I feel that's what sparked my nostalgia trip for old music, and maybe discover some new.

I wasn't even going to go to the show, but my brother and law wanted to go and decide to take the wife. I actually felt a little emotional during some of the songs. I guess it was a feeling I was missing. They are one of my all time favorites and they were the first band I ever saw live back in 97.

These days during the morning I wold just turn on the radio and listen to NPR. Been like that for awhile. But all the news is bad now and I said fuck it, let me put on a CD like the old days. And considering my tape deck doesn't even fucking work, I can't even connect my phone. I literally had to go get the CDs. And well, as old as some of my stuff is, it felt new and fresh. I guess I just had to step away. Maybe in a few weeks I'll go back to my old new ways, but we'll see. The feels for the music are still there deep down.

edit: The community here is chill, even though Morrigan Stark hurt my feels saying the bands I liked were has beens.

I remember being on metal forums in the late 90s and shit would always get super hostile. And then later on I would go Blabbermouth and holly hell, it's worse than ever now. I wonder if that's also a reason I stepped away. Extreme music, extreme fans, and that can sometimes bring out the worst.

lordxar

Just hit 43 myself. I'm not big on concerts but I love finding new music. Of course I blast this shit almost all day at work so grinding out a small music library day in and day out only goes so far...burnout is for realz. Honestly I can't see myself working out or just working in general to anything else. The intensity metal has just can't be found in other genres.

RDreamer

I remember being on metal forums in the late 90s and shit would always get super hostile. And then later on I would go Blabbermouth and holly hell, it's worse than ever now. I wonder if that's also a reason I stepped away. Extreme music, extreme fans, and that can sometimes bring out the worst.

That happens with most fanbases on the internet though. Go try to argue Final Fantasy XIII is a good game or that Mass Effect Andromeda wasn't a pile of trash on here, lol.

jmdajr

That happens with most fanbases on the internet though. Go try to argue Final Fantasy XIII is a good game or that Mass Effect Andromeda wasn't a pile of trash on here, lol.

Lol that might be true, but I remember people literally wanting to fight me.

LOL!

Yeah I'm thinking my metal tastes don't count as very sophisticated here. Outside the "classics" my musical choices might as well be rated at Britney Spears levels.
I like Britney Spears

I did buy this the year it came out so maybe it helps, or is this too mainstream now?
Palefolklore.jpg

I only knew of this album because of a fucking Fanzine. Remember those?

Who knows what's mainstream and what's not, I'm 44 and past caring what other people think if I like it I like it and that it for me, I like the stuff Myrkur puts out and that seems to get a lot of hate, but I'm not bothered!

So even though it's tomorrow, I am posting this today because a) I literally just remembered now and b) I won't be online much, if at all, tomorrow, so might as well post it now...

Tomorrow Jul. 7th will be the 15th anniversary of the Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives. Pretty happy that we've come this far and grown to be the #1 online resource for metal. Big thanks to all the contributors over the years, big and small, and our tireless* moderators for making it possible to make the site as comprehensive and high quality as it is.

Someone in our chatroom asked what my favourite M-A moment is. I'm not sure what that would be, but I think it could be the 2012 April Fools prank, where we put up the FBI takedown notice (similar to Megaupload) which freaked the hell out of people. Even had folks IRL tell me that I got them good. Laughed so hard at that.

* Not actually tireless, I know they get tired and fed up and all that, because it's a thankless shite job for sure. But they sure are brave and strong-willed and I am forever grateful to them <3
Congrats! I remember looking for info on Aesma Daeva in summer of 2002 and stumbled across it. Then I added a few bands myself and posted on the boards for a while.

The Korn April Fool is probably my favourite, just for the reaction alone.

DrM

Redmond's Baby

Congrats and keep up the fantastic work :)

I ask this every couple years.

What's the trend in Heavy Metal these days? The last big trend I remember was the New Wave of American Heavy metal, and that's been what....ten years?

Last answer I got was that Folk Metal was becoming pretty popular.

Now I don't know. But the bands I liked in the late 90s early 2000's are still at it, so I give that a spin whenever new stuff hits (Iced Earth, In Flames, Children of Bodom, Amon Amarth, Cradle of Filth, Blind Guardian, Hammerfall, etc.)

edit: I hadn't realized it had been so long since Dimmu Borgir had an album out. wow.

Atmospheric Black Metal, Blackgaze and Post Black.

There has been some really worthwhile Atmospheric BM stuff but now it is saturated to the point that I have stopped checking out new albums in that genre other than the greats like Midnight Odyssey and Mesarthim (Mesarthim is at the forefront of incorporating different influences into the genre).
Midnight Odyssey - Funerals from the Astral Sphere
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6heH6b22wA

Most Post Black are mediocre bands on autopilot following a bland formula, similar to Post Rock. There are still some cool albums in that sound here and there.
Frostreich - Join the Wind
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUxrfSC8i-A

There's a new wave of Eastern European and Russian Folk Metal, and there are some great bands there.
Drygva - Son of Mighty Rod
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A87PS5SwkM&t=665s

I'm hoping there is something new around the corner.

This site is a great resource. Congratulations!

From a niche website for nerds to being cited by our last legitimate president in a discussion about Finland. Congrats and happy Tanabata.

There has been some really worthwhile Atmospheric BM stuff but now it is saturated to the point that I have stopped checking out new albums in that genre other than the greats like Midnight Odyssey and Mesarthim (Mesarthim is at the forefront of incorporating different influences into the genre).
Ya, same here. Even Mesarthim ended up releasing too much for me to keep up with. It felt like I was buying a new EP from them every week on bandcamp.

I know I just posted the youtube link to Frostreich's new album, but this is an unmissable release:

https://frostreich.bandcamp.com/album/join-the-wind

Don't sleep even if you don't normally get into Post Black or Blackgaze. There's like this early 90s dreampop (think Ride or Chapterhouse) feel hidden behind the early/mid era Katatonia influence. It's exciting to hear a band really break through like this.

Ya, same here. Even Mesarthim ended up releasing too much for me to keep up with. It felt like I was buying a new EP from them every week on bandcamp.

It's cool, though. They're that band that is kind of pushing things not only musically but how they approach releasing music. They're the perfect Bandcamp era band. They almost treat it like Soundcloud, but each release is mixed and mastered really well. The frequency of releases highlights just how fast they are evolving, so we get to experience that instead of how bands would write and discard much of that process without it getting to their audience in such a quality form.

I ask this every couple years.

What's the trend in Heavy Metal these days? The last big trend I remember was the New Wave of American Heavy metal, and that's been what....ten years?

Last answer I got was that Folk Metal was becoming pretty popular.

Now I don't know. But the bands I liked in the late 90s early 2000's are still at it, so I give that a spin whenever new stuff hits (Iced Earth, In Flames, Children of Bodom, Amon Amarth, Cradle of Filth, Blind Guardian, Hammerfall, etc.)

edit: I hadn't realized it had been so long since Dimmu Borgir had an album out. wow.

Not really trends as these are old school influenced/homage that are fairly recent. Old School Death Metal in the 90's style has been awesome. Mercyful Fate/King Diamond/Ozzy Osbourne/Cirith Ungol/Manilla Road inspired 80's heavy metal bands have been solid. A smaller significant trend has been creeping up from Sweden from what I would describe as old school death metal with psychedelic/lucid/proggy feel to them. Think if Autopsy made an album in the 70's. A lot of great raw atmospheric black metal too.

Not metal, but a lot of the dark Synthwave stuff has been cross pollinating within the metal community.

Old School Death Metal
Horrendous - Anareta
Inverloch - Distance | Collapsed
Gruesome - Savage Land
Rude - Remnants
Skeletal Remains - Condemned To Misery

Heavy Metal
Source - Source
Ram - Svbversvm
Enforcer - Death By Fire
Sumerlands - Sumerlands
Eternal Champion - Armor of Ire

Weird Swedish death metal shit
Cadeveric Fumes - Dimensions Obscure
Speglas - Birth, Dreams, Death
Morbus Chron - Sweven
Temisto - Temisto

Black Metal
Bolzer - Aura
MGLA - MGLA
Cult of Fire - &#2350;&#2371;&#2340;&#2381;&#2351;&#2369; &#2325;&#2366; &#2340;&#2366;&#2346;&#2360;&#2368; &#2309;&#2344;&#2369;&#2343;&#2381;&#2351;&#2366;&#2344;
Death Karma - The History Of Death & Burial Rituals part I

Synthwave
Perturbator - Uncanny Valley
GOST - Non Paradisi
Carpenter Brut - Trilogy

ShaneB

I just keep hearing and reading some people saying these bands like White Wizzard, Cauldron, Enforcer etc have gone nowhere, that they didn't manage to elevate this music again. I disagree, i miss Traditional Heavy Metal that not even the old bands are doing, i don't need these new bands to go mainstream.

Eh. Most of these bands just want to rock and get drunk.

Two weeks! Excited.

New Oden Organ album is awesome.

jmdajr

Atmospheric Black Metal, Blackgaze and Post Black.

Most Post Black are mediocre bands on autopilot following a bland formula, similar to Post Rock. There are still some cool albums in that sound here and there.
Frostreich - Join the Wind
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUxrfSC8i-A

There's a new wave of Eastern European and Russian Folk Metal, and there are some great bands there.
Drygva - Son of Mighty Rod
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A87PS5SwkM&t=665s

I'm hoping there is something new around the corner.

Not really trends as these are old school influenced/homage that are fairly recent. Old School Death Metal in the 90's style has been awesome. Mercyful Fate/King Diamond/Ozzy Osbourne/Cirith Ungol/Manilla Road inspired 80's heavy metal bands have been solid. A smaller significant trend has been creeping up from Sweden from what I would describe as old school death metal with psychedelic/lucid/proggy feel to them. Think if Autopsy made an album in the 70's. A lot of great raw atmospheric black metal too.

Not metal, but a lot of the dark Synthwave stuff has been cross pollinating within the metal community.

Old School Death Metal
Horrendous - Anareta
Inverloch - Distance | Collapsed
Gruesome - Savage Land
Rude - Remnants
Skeletal Remains - Condemned To Misery

Heavy Metal
Source - Source
Ram - Svbversvm
Enforcer - Death By Fire
Sumerlands - Sumerlands
Eternal Champion - Armor of Ire

Weird Swedish death metal shit
Cadeveric Fumes - Dimensions Obscure
Speglas - Birth, Dreams, Death
Morbus Chron - Sweven
Temisto - Temisto

Black Metal
Bolzer - Aura
MGLA - MGLA
Cult of Fire - &#2350;&#2371;&#2340;&#2381;&#2351;&#2369; &#2325;&#2366; &#2340;&#2366;&#2346;&#2360;&#2368; &#2309;&#2344;&#2369;&#2343;&#2381;&#2351;&#2366;&#2344;
Death Karma - The History Of Death & Burial Rituals part I

Synthwave
Perturbator - Uncanny Valley
GOST - Non Paradisi
Carpenter Brut - Trilogy

Coolness. Thanks for taking the time.

The new Parasitic Ejaculation is out

Isolation

Bouncy and technically proficient slam death with crisp production, for fans of Vomit The Soul and Dying Fetus

This album seems like it has more hardcore influence which is kind of weird but it's cool, much better than their last album

choodi

Banned
I know I just posted the youtube link to Frostreich's new album, but this is an unmissable release:

https://frostreich.bandcamp.com/album/join-the-wind

Don't sleep even if you don't normally get into Post Black or Blackgaze. There's like this early 90s dreampop (think Ride or Chapterhouse) feel hidden behind the early/mid era Katatonia influence. It's exciting to hear a band really break through like this.

This is really good. Sounds like a modern version of early era Katatonia to me.

I like that new Cradle song, watched the video earlier today.

'Grats on 15 years at M-A, Morrigan. Feel like I've been going there forever and I use that site pretty much daily. It's fun just starting with one band and eventually ending up somewhere comepletely new thanks to checking out all the side projects and other bands everyone has been in.

venomenon

Wow, didn't realise Morrigan of Encyclopedia Metallum fame is posting here.
Congratulations on the anniversary! I've been using the site for at least 11 years I think, it's absolutely the best at what it does. Don't want to know how many great bands I would've missed if M-A didn't exist.

Wacken ticket arrived today. I haven't been too keen on going in recent months but the anticipation is rising by now. Like, a lot.

jmdajr

New Cradle. Man I falling behind. I think I have missed the last 4 albums. Or at least it feels like it.

They just keep on trucking.

Gigan are back! Just as crazy as ever.

"Gigan emerges once again, with their fourth full length‘UNDULATING WAVES OF RAINBIOTIC IRIDESCENSE’, another monolithic sci-fi death metal release that pushes the genre forward with planet shattering ferocity!"

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Gigan are back! Just as crazy as ever.

"Gigan emerges once again, with their fourth full length‘UNDULATING WAVES OF RAINBIOTIC IRIDESCENSE’, another monolithic sci-fi death metal release that pushes the genre forward with planet shattering ferocity!"

cartoony death metal?...hmmmmm i'll take a listen

bebop242

Hmmm. Surprised he still keeps up with stuff.

Yea i respect that. You would think being in the music industry, you would keep tabs on current stuff but a lot of these lists are stuff that inspired them to play in the first place or other bands that were big when they were.

Top Bottom