• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 UI Demo (non-crappy Gamescom camera edition)

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Anybody else notice that the PS3 battery/clock bug has been raised from its grave?

Here it is in a crappy gif:

untitled-1gelc3.gif

Crap meant to edit, not repost....

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Er, what? No, they're not. In fact, you showed a much more overt one.
I didn't even mean that exact screen, the whole UI is full of them.

They fixed the transparencies, which helps the gradient effect. Not sure how you are saying they are worse.

Anybody else notice that the PS3 battery/clock bug has been raised from its grave?

Here it is in a crappy gif:

untitled-1gelc3.gif

Crap meant to edit, not repost....
What am I looking at here?

EDIT: Oh, that the clock is not there!

Teletraan1

Banned
Looks good to me. Seems pretty functional and fast. That is all I care about. It is a UI, it doesn't have to suck your dick, just get into the game fast and get out of the users face.

SJRB

Gold Member
Please tell me that ambient music is actually part of the XMB background music or something.

That would be AMAZING.

Also, the instant joining/matchmaking blew my mind.

Tripolygon

Banned
Any idea how the actual available purchasable content will be integrated in the UI? Or will it even be integrated or will it be like the PSN store on the PS3?

I don't want to launch a whole different app to access my PSN content.
It is like PS Vita in many ways but better, faster and a lot clever in implementation. This is coming from infos that have been released since Feb up until now of course and not first hand knowledge.
1. Watch a live stream or a video of a friend or random person and you want to play the game but you don't own it, a link is right there to buy the game.
2. Each game has its own Live Area esque page called Live Tile. Right from there you can see DLC contents related to that game and a link to buy them.
3. Playstation 4 default boot screen (can be changed) is the Whats new feed that shows you things your friends are doing from games purchased to trophies, videos, screenshots which are all linked to PS Store where you can buy those things.
7. There will be a traditional PSN Store but it would definitely not be as slow as PS3 and PS Vita. It is built right into the OS using what i would assume is HTML5. See PSN Store icon in the menu bar, everything game related is linked to the store.
You can also purchase content from PSN store on mobile devices and initiate download to PS4 while you are not home or even when you are home. The store UI has not been shown yet but i saw something on PS4 page that could be it.
1fEZg.jpeg

Flipyap

They fixed the transparencies, which helps the gradient effect. Not sure how you are saying they are worse.
You got some transparencies wrong, but I don't really see how that was ever an issue.
The new UI mixes outline highlights, gradient highlights on currently active (still transparent) "tabs", drop shadows and what seems like soft "reflections" on the large app tiles's start buttons. It's too much of everything.

The old grey gradient, while ugly, seemed functional - I think it was there to preserve readability in case of a ridiculous background.

Can anyone explain to me ....

before yosh logins, you see as there is different login names, can anyone see if we can put lock key on our names so family members dont mess with it? i really want this feature.

B.O.O.M

Did they mention anything about Dynamic themes? With a much more powerful system they can give us pretty mind blowing stuff on that front

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
It reminds of the current ps3 store interface which I hate, and looked a tad bit laggy. I hate this metro trend.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
You can also purchase content from PSN store on mobile devices and initiate download to PS4 while you are not home or even when you are home. The store UI has not been shown yet but i saw something on PS4 page that could be it.
1fEZg.jpeg
It was briefly shown during the E3 promo video. It looks pretty much like the PS3 Store.

xRMjbr2.png

h5Wjtxo.png

IrishNinja

that was smooth across the board, some of the aesthetics from the current PSN store but without running like poop. that tweet about the jumping-in being live looked fairly seamless too, we'll see how that plays out with people's shitty internet speeds here but at least the OS won't be obtrusive, which is cool to see.

*edit ahahaha @ clockfix undoing

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
GG says the KZSF match played was live.

u2N4Bva.png

Super smooth transition from menu to in-game... don't know if I can believe that ._. I believe though!

Anyone else think he games like that all the time?

Gonna ditto many remarks

1.) Love the return of XMB styling, I know it's probably not "cross" but whatever, it's gorgeous

2.) Hopping into the game that quick seems like a stellar feature. Maybe only possible because it was first party and they could choose to skip the splash screens? I dunno. Maybe loaded, regardless, amazingly cool. I liked the menu he had before jumping in, seems like some really cool information, and just neat to see people playing without signing in to some service or such. Very slick.

3.) Definitely hope they bring the themes around again. It looks ripe for the picking in that department. Easily visible icons, bigass open space for a picture.

4.) Dear god no ads.

This OS just seems so functional for what this device is. I love that they've made so much information easily accessible. Haven't had any hands on with it, so I don't know what I would change if I had a gun to my head lol.

boinx

What the fuck? Is Killzone running at 60fps in that gamersyde video or have my eyes just been deceived somehow?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Anyone else think he games like that all the time?

Gonna ditto many remarks

1.) Love the return of XMB styling, I know it's probably not "cross" but whatever, it's gorgeous

2.) Hopping into the game that quick seems like a stellar feature. Maybe only possible because it was first party and they could choose to skip the splash screens? I dunno. Maybe loaded, regardless, amazingly cool.

I think any game can do this if it wants. They mentioned this at GDC though I didn't think it was ready already.

The only question I have about that is one asked by others earlier...whether or not he had KZ suspended in the background, which may have sped up that loading...

Blimblim

The Inside Track
I'm encoding a 1080p60 version of the video linked in the op. Not awesome looking, but still it's a tad better than 720p60 :)
It definitely seemed like 60fps to me too. We need confirmation on this.

It's not 60, but it's not locked at 30 either, so it's usually somewhere inbetween 30 and 60. It's doesn't go below 30 from what I saw.

Top Bottom