• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 UI Demo (non-crappy Gamescom camera edition)

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Just noticed the blurb that appears when he tabs over messages mentions voice messages:

8Ji9nqY.png

Soodanim

I don't care what it looks like as long as it is fast. I want to be able to fire off button inputs from memory and not even wait for the UI to respond visually before it starts doing what I want. If I'm waiting for the UI to catch up, I'm not going to be impressed.

They fixed the transparencies, which helps the gradient effect. Not sure how you are saying they are worse.

What am I looking at here?

EDIT: Oh, that the clock is not there!

For those of you who just HAVE to have a clock they make a device for that, its called a clock

UI looks fantastic

one of my favorite XMB features is the "this game isnt loaded but heres a little clip, a big wallpaper, and maybe a song/some audio from the game"

really made the ps3 ui stand out over the 360's old spice ads

Yoday

I still haven't seen any kind of games library in the UI. If all of the games and apps that you own end up on that one screen, then what happens when you have tons of games? I am going to be seriously pissed off if we still don't get a simple games library where we can manage our games, downloaded or not. We better as hell not have to clutter a single screen with hundreds of games and apps, and have to deal with an awful download list to re-download games that we have uninstalled.

Would you have to be on the persons friends list to join their game or as long as the room is open anybody who decides to view the stream can immediately jump in? Just wondering because that could get annoying if you were waiting for a friend and randoms filled up the remaining slots.

Replicant

From what I can see this would be even better for themes because the icons are at the bottom and full contents of each icon does not show up until you choose a particular icon.

Killthee

If you watch tge vid again, this image was 662kb. Im sure there will be settings for images based on size and quality.
That might be why the options icon appears in the Share menu UI.

RC9VINX.png

I still haven't seen any kind of games library in the UI. If all of the games and apps that you own end up on that one screen, then what happens when you have tons of games? I am going to be seriously pissed off if we still don't get a simple games library where we can manage our games, downloaded or not. We better as hell not have to clutter a single screen with hundreds of games and apps, and have to deal with an awful download list to re-download games that we have uninstalled.
This was posted in another thread:

This is the main UI which shows your most recently played games, the games library UI is different from this.

They showed it at Develope behind closed doors developers session.

My guess would be the library view falls under the store icon in the top bar.

Ovek

7Member7
Can we please have this on the Vita? The current interface on it is just stupid and looks bloody awful... Who thought bubbles were a good idea? Someone at Sony was harnessing there inner Nintendo when they designed it.

Killthee

Would you have to be on the persons friends list to join their game or as long as the room is open anybody who decides to view the stream can immediately jump in? Just wondering because that could get annoying if you were waiting for a friend and randoms filled up the remaining slots.
FWIW, the E3 video had a blurb that said "Open Session" under Party Status. You can probably toggle it to private if you don't want randoms taking up slots.

xyfXftm.png

Can we please have this on the Vita? The current interface on it is just stupid and looks bloody awful... Who thought bubbles were a good idea? Someone at Sony was harnessing there inner Nintendo when they designed it.

Completely agree, the UI is one of the worst things about the Vita. I get that they wanted a touch-focused UI but they could have done it better than that. A refresh to bring it in line with the PS4 would be awesome.

I never understood the whole dislike for the XMB, it did everything i wanted from it and its simplicity was much better for me in comparison to the cluttered Xbox UI, i do not know how i feel about this new UI, looks too much like Windows 8. I prefered the simplicity of the previous one

DieH@rd

Banned
Two questions:

So there is no PS+ icon next to your avatar to show everyone that you're part of the master race?

Also, is Twitch not at OS level for spectating? Is it just Ustream?

Twich press release from yesterday mentioned that users will be able just to press Share button and broadcast their games. Its OS level service it seems.

[oh and Twich does not require PS+ on PS4, but it requires Gold for Xbone]

jaosobno

Absolutely loving the OS. It's slick, responsive and that 6 second jump into a live Killzone match left me breathless.

Amazing job, Sony.

Billen

Banned
I watched it minimized due to technical problems I had when viewing on the TV, and didn't maximize until later due to this so I had completely missed the fact that it was a stream of a game which he later joined. Holy shit that is snappy.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
The job they've done on this is sooooo much better than the Vita, or any UI I've ever seen from Sony before, it's really impressive, great combination of being more visually engaging while still appearing simple and straight forward.

I really hope the 6 seconds to game thing is at least nearly what we'll see in real life, that's the kind of thing that gets me excited to get a next gen console, I'm up for the 'same old games' if I'm doing a lot more playing and a lot less waiting around in lobbies.

Nozem

I really hope the 6 seconds to game thing is at least nearly what we'll see in real life, that's the kind of thing that gets me excited to get a next gen console, I'm up for the 'same old games' if I'm doing a lot more playing and a lot less waiting around in lobbies.

I am really sceptical of that. Maybe if the PS4 had an SSD drive, but even then 6 seconds seems too good to be true.

I'm thinking they probably had Killzone already booted but suspended? That way they could load the map really fast.

Otherwise, I would have definitely expected load-times to be a little longer. Even if the harddrive was a good performer (say about 100MB/s), then loading 3GB still takes 30 seconds.

Hasney

I am really sceptical of that. Maybe if the PS4 had an SSD drive, but even then 6 seconds seems too good to be true.

I'm thinking there might be some prefetch at boot, like it loads part of your last played game into RAM or something at start-up to make it that quick, or starts loading it once you're hovering over it or something like that. modern OS's have used prefetch quite well, so it's not a stretch to imagine it being used on PS4.

Thoraxes

Looked great, now all they need to do is fix the lag loading between screens like they just did with the Vita OS, and it's perfect.

DodgerSan

I don't have to squint to see the postage stamp sized screen anymore!

This is my biggest issue with things like this and E3. They go to the trouble and expense of live streaming the thing, then whenever
a game's shown they spend the time showing sweeping vistas of blackness in the venue.

Friggin numpties, drives me up the wall.

kvn

Love it. It's basically XMB evolved. That's everything I wanted. The transition sounds are also cool.

BadWolf

Really like the fact that they built it on top of the XMB instead of just throwing it out, so its familiar yet new.

Great UI.

Top Bottom