• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us' autosave has a glitch. Read if you're playing. [Apparently fixed]

darkwing

No, I haven't downloaded the patch as my PS3 is offline.

I thought everyone confirmed the patch wasn't the issue, though? For what it matters, I've had no issues yesterday or today, I do not have the patch and I do not have PS Plus.

do you have the digital version?

From my experience in the gaming industry, in the large majority of these cases QA likely did pick it up. Their job is to find the bugs, not make the call on whether to fix them or not. A bug slipping through to release isn't usually QA's fault. Someone higher up usually decides "ship it, patch it later."

Pretty sure a "Players cant save the game" bug would rate pretty high on the to-fix list.

panty

From my experience in the gaming industry, in the large majority of these cases QA likely did pick it up. Their job is to find the bugs, not make the call on whether to fix them or not. A bug slipping through to release isn't usually QA's fault.
Cmon man this is a game-breaking bug and needs to be addressed immediately.

I have my joel-edition right in front of me but I'm going to wait a few hours at least.

From my experience in the gaming industry, in the large majority of these cases QA likely did pick it up. Their job is to find the bugs, not make the call on whether to fix them or not. A bug slipping through to release isn't usually QA's fault. Someone higher up usually decides "ship it, patch it later."

They didn't intentionally ship a game with a broken save system. This was either discovered after they printed the disc, or discovered today.

ah shit i was wondering wtf was going on. it was saying auto-saving please wait for a while, then i had to turn it off to go to work and it wouldn't let me manually save it. had to turn off the PS3. I'd be pissed if I had put more than a few hours into it. Thankfully I only played it for little over an hour, and it was so good I have zero problems having to play it again. Will keep this in mind going forward for sure.

edit: i have the digital version

So started where my pre 3 hours save was and manually saved every few minutes and now the glitch has kicked in. Terribly disappointing especially as up to where I'd gotten was really good. Sigh.

creid

Is anyone trying Load Game and checking all the saves for a more recent (though incorrectly-timestamped) save?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Pretty sure a "Players cant save the game" bug would rate pretty high on the to-fix list.

Cmon man this is a game-breaking bug and needs to be addressed immediately.

I have my joel-edition right in front of me but I'm going to wait a few hours at least.

They didn't intentionally ship a game with a broken save system. This was either discovered after they printed the disc, or discovered today.

You don't think I've gone through this back during my QA days? Yes, developers have done this before. Whether it was in the original code or introduced through a patch or whatever, ANY sort of save issue would have been caught by QA - if not by the developer/publisher QA team, the standards guys with the platform holder would definitely catch it - the Sony TRCs explicitly cover save testing for example. And yes, anyone finding this issue would have raised as much hell as they could in saying you can't ship with this issue, but someone would enough pull could override them. "The repro rate is too low." "We can patch it later, we're too close to shelf date." Plenty of excuses I've heard along the years.

Ack!

Just happened to me. Got to the docks. Now I don't have a save and am back at the house :/

Might just stop playing until they patch.

Very shit bug.

Slair

I've only had the save bug on the new patch. I deleted the update and it's working so far, been playing for 45+ mins, the save bug happened 20mins after updating before.

Edit: More clarification. Yesterday before the patch came out i played up to the part from the demo with no problems. I did get the autosaving issue but it went away after a couple minutes and loaded fine today. I've only had guaranteed lost progress after the update.

Fjordson

Tracking my progress more specifically, I'd say I lost a solid 3 hours maybe because of the glitch. In the words of Bill O'Reilly, fuckin' thing sucks.

Very unmotivated to wade through this shit. Guess I'll come back to it tomorrow, hopefully ND is on it by then.

Playing on a 60 GB phatty model for what it's worth it.

Gartooth

Well I have the game preordered and I'm picking it up today.

Thanks for the heads up though, will definitely pay attention to this and I may just keep this game in my backlog until Naughty Dog releases a patch for the autosave. (still have plenty to do this weekend anyways)

Jarek23

Banned
Read this at ps3t.org

I came across one frustrating problem where if I press the PS button to open the XMB without pausing, it jams the autosave on. I couldn't exit the game, save or load from the pause menu afterwards as the autosaving message was constantly on.

Could this be the reason why it's happening?

I'll be picking my copy up in about an hour so I can't confirm, but if anyone is very early in the game, you might want to try this, see if it's the root of the issue.

Fuck, I noticed this when I stopped playing tonight (Physical). I have no idea how long it was like that for, better not have lost much progress, I'll be pissed.

noomi

Just happened to me, thankfully I caught it right away since I like to manually saving my game just in-case. Lost about 5 minutes worth, so not too bad.

If you going to play like this, save every 5-10 minutes. That's what I'm doing.

Hope this gets resolved quickly.

ldcommando

Banned
Just lifted this from gamefaqs:

1: Start new game
2: when asked to select new save slot hit and hold 'O' game will say 'autosave is disabled'
3: manually save.

Can anyone test this?

Lime

Mine just suffered from this issue. I don't dare to quit the game, but I'm also afraid of stop playing as my PS3 will probably go to auto-sleep :/

Just lifted this from gamefaqs:

1: Start new game
2: when asked to select new save slot hit and hold 'O' game will say 'autosave is disabled'
3: manually save.

Can anyone test this?

We already know this, but the first time you manually save it re-enables autosaving.

Carl

Could this be the reason why it's happening?

I'll be picking my copy up in about an hour so I can't confirm, but if anyone is very early in the game, you might want to try this, see if it's the root of the issue.

I don't remember pulling up the XMB at all whilst playing.

theytookourjobz

Welp. Saw this thread too late. Lost 4 hours this morning. Not really sure if I even want to replay it. Very disheartening ND. Might be going back to GameStop. :/

I lost 2.5 hours. Now starting back from where the glitch happened, I get about 10 mins in and the autosave prob happens every single time. I am manual saving up to the problem, but there's no way past it. ;(

I'm going to wait till they patch this, so frustrated.

Top Bottom