• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Krokodil, the new Russian street drug of choice, causes green skin, rotting flesh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tacitus_

louie said:
How much pain would these pain be in? It must excruciating.

Also could some of you guys post a small description of the images you're linking to.

The drug causes gangrene. Wiki on gangrene: "Gangrene is a serious and potentially life-threatening condition that arises when a considerable mass of body tissue dies (necrosis)."

Basically your flesh rots and falls off. Not pretty.

Zenith

Banned
Devolution said:
Because why?

They are addicted to heroin. They find themselves unable to afford a hit and become desperate enough to cook up a batch of krokodil using over-the-counter ingredients. The save enough and go back to heroin or don't and continue on krokodil. Addiction plus influence of mind-altering substances makes you do crazy things like think another hit of krokodil is a good idea. And the withdrawl is so bad that it lasts a month and will make you pass out from the pain.

water_wendi said:
Must be pretty strong because the users dont seem to really care.
Exactly. This thing is 8 times stronger than morphine? Hell, in no time your brain will be a spongy shadow of its former self, leading you to a complete "not giving a fuck" state of mind. Krokodil.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
This is pretty similar to the beginning of America's meth problem - only much more toxic.

A simple piece of legislation would kill all of this, but profit is more important than human life.

Fugu

This only serves to demonstrate just how potent opiate addiction is. I find it hard to believe that anyone sound of mind would willfully inject themselves with this, so I think that the "stupid" descriptor is a little bit inaccurate.

I don't know if anyone knows enough about this to answer, but could someone explain to me the pathology here? I'm confused as to why this induces such extensive necrosis and, say, morphine does not.

shaowebb

I think this problem solves the problem of completely stupid drug addicts in that country. Darwinism at its finest.
In 2 years the ad posters for saying no in that country should be enough to truly make an impact on at least one generation.

Fugu

shaowebb said:
I think this problem solves the problem of completely stupid drug addicts in that country. Darwinism at its finest.
In 2 years the ad posters for saying no in that country should be enough to truly make an impact on at least one generation.
It is incredible how common this kind of rationalization for a death occurs on the internet considering how sick and twisted of a thing it is to say.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Fugu said:
I don't know if anyone knows enough about this to answer, but could someone explain to me the pathology here? I'm confused as to why this induces such extensive necrosis and, say, morphine does not.
Morphine is chemically sound, this shit is made in a kitchen with gasoline and iodine.

Amakusa

Tence said:
Funny how if you say: 'Don't search for X' the first thing people do is search for X.

It happened witht the blue waffle thing too (DON'T search for it please)

....sfw or nsfw?

TL4E

dave is ok said:
Morphine is chemically sound, this shit is made in a kitchen with gasoline and iodine.
There's no reason to believe desomorphine isn't as "chemically sound" (whatever that means) as morphine. If you made morphine with kitchen chemicals and injected it, then it would cause the same problems.

gdt

OH MY GOD HOLY FUCK at those pics. How does that not immediately stop the next one from doing drugs?

Tacitus_

dave is ok said:
This is pretty similar to the beginning of America's meth problem - only much more toxic.

A simple piece of legislation would kill all of this, but profit is more important than human life.

Pray do tell, how would legislation stop people injecting this poison, as they can cook it from common materials?

Astery

argh @ leg video, the saw took forever but at least he doesn't feel it anymore I guess. Does this drug swallow bone substance as well?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Meh, their bodies their choice. Lets legalize it over here, it will only be responsible adults who use it despite how addicting it is, and there will be no cases of idiot teenagers who use it a few times on a lark and throw away very promising lives.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Tacitus_ said:
Pray do tell, how would legislation stop people injecting this poison, as they can cook it from common materials?
The main component, codeine, is in OTC medicine there. Making codeine illegal has a good chance to stop this.

How is it darwinism when everyone is susceptible to morphine/heroine addiction?
These people are already addicted and then resort to 'just one more' shot of this shit to ease their withdrawal.

It has nothing to do with being stupid or having bad genes.

I seriously hope that whoever post an embedded pic of this shit gets some mod wrath, thanks gaf for being sensible, I was scrolling ever so slowly in case there would be pictures.

Heysoos

I.. wow. That's fucking crazy. Even fully knowing the side effects, they're so fucking hooked they continue to do this crap.

water_wendi said:
The main component, codeine, is in OTC medicine there. Making codeine illegal has a good chance to stop this.

Don't know. My former country, Venezuela had codeine as OTC for a long time. When it when to prescription only, it only generated a black market.

way more

While heroin costs from £20 to £60 per dose,

60 pounds for a hit of heroin? Jesus, how fucked up of a country do you have to have for smack to cost that much? Shit like exposed bone doesn't happen here because the real stuff is too cheap for people to care about synthetics.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Tacitus_ said:
Take the codeine out of over the counter medicines. Bam, done.

Just like if America took pseudoephedrine out of cold medicine.

Fugu

TL4E said:
There's no reason to believe desomorphine isn't as "chemically sound" (whatever that means) as morphine. If you made morphine with kitchen chemicals and injected it, then it would cause the same problems.
So what you are implying is that the desomorphine itself does not cause this but the impurities as a result of the DIY manufacturing process does? If this is the case, why is the problem so endemic? What are these impurities?

Rich!

water_wendi said:

Fuck no. At least not here in the UK - codeine is the only shit that stops my migraines (I have it on perscription, suffer from massive migraines after an injury as a kid).

Guevara said:
I guess you could say they're hanging by a thread.
horatio460.jpg

dudeworld

SneakyStephan said:
How is it darwinism when everyone is susceptible to morphine/heroine addiction?

These people are already addicted and then resort to 'just one more' shot of this shit to ease their withdrawal.

It has nothing to do with being stupid or having bad genes.

starting in the first place is being stupid. just because I can get addicted to heroin doesn't mean I have to suddenly start doing it

TL4E

Fugu said:
So what you are implying is that the desomorphine itself does not cause this but the impurities as a result of the DIY manufacturing process does? If this is the case, why is the problem so endemic? What are these impurities?
The impurities are a result of using the paint thinner, iodine, red phosphorous, etc. to make desomorphine from codeine in unclean environments, usually one's kitchen.

No, desomorphine is definitely not the cause itself, as pure desomorphine wouldn't cause these problems.

Fugu said:
Paint thinner etc, duh?:p

They have to mix these substances for part of the chemicals in them to bond into desomorphine, but have no means to filter all the other shit out, so the other shit is poisoning them.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
richisawesome said:
Fuck no. At least not here in the UK - codeine is the only shit that stops my migraines (I have it on perscription, suffer from massive migraines after an injury as a kid).
You have a prescription, you'd be fine. We're talking about removing it from OTC medicines

dudeworld said:
starting in the first place is being stupid. just because I can get addicted to heroin doesn't mean I have to suddenly start doing it

Put down all stupid people then eh, racists, bigots, alcoholics (do you drink? you shouldn't start drinking stupidface ner ner etc).

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
richisawesome said:
Even a prescription would stop most users access to this. Since anyone can get the main ingredient for $2 or whatever ease of access will keep this drug on the forefront. i believe that the government there will not make this illegal so as to cull the poverty stricken in an indirect way.

dudeworld

SneakyStephan said:
Put down all stupid people then eh, racists, bigots, alcoholics (do you drink? you shouldn't start drinking stupidface ner ner etc).

taking heroin and then this shit is A LOT different than any of those things you mentioned. It's stupidity that kills them NO MATTER WHAT. drinking alcohol won't necessarily kill you. being racist won't necessarily kill you (probably won't kill you at all).

taking this crocodile shit WILL kill you no matter what.

get it?

TL4E

dudeworld said:
Many opioid addicts start because they're using pain meds legitimately due to chronic pain. These are otherwise smart people who wouldn't normally abuse drugs.

Tacitus_

dave is ok said:
Take the codeine out of over the counter medicines. Bam, done.

Just like if America took pseudoephedrine out of cold medicine.

Somehow I doubt that would be effective. It'd just create a black market and cause even more drug crime when junkies run out of their stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom