• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGR Revengeance PC doesn't work offline (UPDATE: Fix out, go back to ripping spines)

Status
Not open for further replies.

xBladeM6x

Aside from the lack of >1080p support, sure. And if Platinum confirms that this online-only thing is definitely a bug.

Ah, wasn't aware of this. That's kind of shitty, but I'm sure people will be making a mod to support it / there will be an update for it.

Spaghetti

the game only redeems through steam, plus has achievement/cloud functionality, so it probably is a steamworks title, right?

Added to OP, but it could still be an intentional implementation that is just not spitting out a disconnection message when kicking you out.
Why jump through hoops to implement some sort of DRM when they could just flip some Steam switches otherwise?

Grief.exe

Ah, wasn't aware of this. That's kind of shitty, but I'm sure people will be making a mod to support it / there will be an update for it.

Durante already has the game running in 4k, but he says he won't continue with the fix as Platinum is likely to patch.

Well it's not meant to be a "line of rhetoric" as it was a legitimate statement of surprise that this many people had such fluctuation internet connections. I already agreed that in principle it was scummy so I understand people arguing about that, I was just generally surprised that seemingly a lot of people would have problems playing this in-practice because of on and off internet connections.

I don't think it's a problem that affects a ton of people. But even if it's infrequent, it's very annoying. And for some -- even if they've literally never been affected by an internet outage -- just the mere possibility that it might occur may be enough to object to it. Not that it's particularly relevant, but my own experience would demonstrate that loss of internet connectivity is pretty rare. However, something that isn't rare is that I often find myself needing to log onto my work VPN and remote in to my work PC to get something done really quick. Doing so causes me to lose Steam connectivity for whatever reason. Will this make RIsing crash? Don't know, but I'll check tonight.

inky

Well it's not meant to be a "line of rhetoric" as it was a legitimate statement of surprise that this many people had such fluctuation internet connections. I already agreed that in principle it was scummy so I understand people arguing about that, I was just generally surprised that seemingly a lot of people would have problems playing this in-practice because of on and off internet connections.

GAF is a place that's being visited from all over the world. Internet connections in certain parts of the world are different, maybe more unreliable than yours. Yes, it is a problem in many places. How was that even surprising to you?

epmode

Durante already has the game running in 4k, but he says he won't continue with the fix as Platinum is likely to patch.

I really hope he's right. I'd rather not have a blurry, upscaled screen when playing this for the first time. I'm just concerned because From Software and Access Games never bothered to fix their own ports even though it should have been easy.

qq more

My internet connection has been constantly having hiccups lately, it'd die for a minute or two every few hours for some reason. Not sure what's up with that... so yeah Always Online DRM is pretty BS. I hope this is just some bug as the title says.

joe2187

Banned
r8iT6WI.png

Durante

Aside from the lack of >1080p support, sure. And if Platinum confirms that this online-only thing is definitely a bug.
I still don't get why they even go to the trouble of implementing real AA (which isn't that easy in DirectX9 with off-screen render targets -- I'm ecstatic about that btw), but then put in such a silly resolution limitation.

xBladeM6x

What a load of shit, I finally made some headway against these sewer raptors or whateverthefuck when my internet farted out for like a couple seconds and the game just blinked out of existence.

Fuck YOU.

Damn, that blows. Must have been pretty jarring, followed by enraging. Lol

Sendou

Bug or not the fact stands that they launched a product with always online DRM without disclosing it beforehand. The fix should come pretty quickly or they should start accepting returns for full refund.

With this and 1080p only debacle I'm having less positive feelings about this port every passing moment. Let's hope I feel better when I actually get around playing the game. Hopefully by then the always online requirement is long gone.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
bug DRM, the worst DRM of all
My bad for not reading the whole thread before posting. I rarely do that, but I did it this time and I screwed it up, which means I'm a fool. My apologies.

I still hope it gets patched, but I see now that it probably wasn't intentional.

Bug or not the fact stands that they launched a product with always online DRM without disclosing it beforehand. The fix should come pretty quickly or they should start accepting returns for full refund.

With this and 1080p only debacle I'm having less positive feelings about this port every passing moment. Let's hope I feel better when I actually get around playing the game. Hopefully by then the always online requirement is long gone.
Uhhh if they released with a bug they didn't know about how do you expect them to disclose it beforehand?

I mean sure it's bad but let's not start randomly throwing accusations around.

Grief.exe

How are they supposed to disclose a bug that they, obviously, didn't know was there?
CTD is considered DRM now? I would just consider that what it is, a CTD.

joe2187

Banned
Bug or not the fact stands that they launched a product with always online DRM without disclosing it beforehand. The fix should come pretty quickly or they should start accepting returns for full refund..

If it's a bug that only comes up after the game is released and not even Konami was aware of....how exactly would they disclose it beforehand?

xBladeM6x

When you think about it, even if they patched it today, the damage has been done. There's already going to be "Always Online" negative reviews up there that they're not going to be able to take down. Sucks.

Sendou

Uhhh if they released with a bug they didn't know about how do you expect them to disclose it beforehand?

I mean sure it's bad but let's not start randomly throwing accusations around.

How are they supposed to disclose a bug that they, obviously, didn't know was there?
CTD is considered DRM now? I would just consider that what it is, a CTD.

If it's a bug that only comes up after the game is released and not even Konami was aware of....how exactly would they disclose it beforehand?

Where did I say they should have been able to disclose a bug beforehand? Assuming it is a bug of course. I just mean that in reality as a customer it doesn't make a difference to me. How the hell does something like this even slip by QA?

I really hope they fix this quickly.

if this was intentional there should have been a warning after you go to desktop surely? This looks like a bug if without warning going straight to desktop and crashing the game

Grief.exe

When you think about it, even if they patched it today, the damage has been done. There's already going to be "Always Online" negative reviews up there that they're not going to be able to take down. Sucks.

You are correct, people are always going to associate Metal Gear Rising with Always Online DRM, its inevitable.

Where did I say they should have been able to disclose a bug beforehand? Assuming it is a bug of course. I just mean that in reality as a customer it doesn't make a difference to me. How the hell does something like this even slip by QA?

I'm guessing they were busy testing Steamworks features, but never tested what would happen if those features were suddenly not available.

I still don't get why they even go to the trouble of implementing real AA (which isn't that easy in DirectX9 with off-screen render targets -- I'm ecstatic about that btw), but then put in such a silly resolution limitation.

Well MSAA is part of their engine as it has been used in Vanquish, meaning it wasn't something they implemented for the PC version. (The console implementation must have worked on PC as well.)

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Three people quoted you saying the same thing. You should probably check whether or not you said it before responding.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Is it just me or has Steam been REAL bad about not checking these games out before they're issued? I posted in another thread, but Consortium is also full of bugs that make it unplayable, and let's not forget X-Rebirth.

Grief.exe

Is it just me or has Steam been REAL bad about not checking these games out before they're issued? I posted in another thread, but Consortium is also full of bugs that make it unplayable, and let's not forget X-Rebirth.

Valve doesn't check at all, Developers are in charge of pushing their own updates, managing their own store front, and patching their games.

Valve only responds if something is particularly egregious.

The part where you literally said it

Bug or not the fact stands that they launched a product with always online DRM without disclosing it beforehand.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I was gong to buy this on discount but held off because I had a feeling it was going to be a godawful port.

Didn't expect this kind of ineptitude though.

Qassim

Only way to release SP games on PC, like it or not, it is how it is.
I actually don't think this will hold up and it'll get cracked. You actually need to design the game so it doesn't depend on a server for only authentication, but other gameplay elements, persistent online world, etc.

Edit: If it's a bug, of course none of what I said make sense. However you can't blame me after Diablo 3, Sim City, AC4, etc. People have been expecting games to be always online on PC, especially big budget games.

AC4 isn't always online.. ?

How does any bug slip by QA? Shit happens.

And as said above, you said bug or not they let this thing through without disclosing.

Grief.exe

I was gong to buy this on discount but held off because I had a feeling it was going to be a godawful port.

Didn't expect this kind of ineptitude though.

I've said it before, but honestly its a pretty solid port.

Bug aside, the game is a little rough around the edges but a commendable job for a first time on PC.

Parsnip

Well, if they patch it, the good people of the internets will write actual helpful reviews that will get voted up on the Steam system as helpful, right? And the kneejerk reaction reviews will get voted down as unhelpful, right?

That's how it's supposed to work I guess, that helpful stuff floats to the top.

Yes, I'm putting a lot of faith on the internets.

Sendou

"bug or not the fact stands that they launched a product with always online DRM without disclosing it beforehand. "

Exactly. This is not the same thing as saying that they should have been able to disclose the bug beforehand. What I mean is that it doesn't really matter to me right now whether they did it intentionally or not. As it stands the products just isn't what was promised. It's already early Friday in Japan. Fix might take a few days if one is coming. Of course I get that shit happens and it's part of the game. That's what you get for pre-ordering games on this platform (or any platform these days it seems).

That said let's not act that this is anything that any half-decent QA wouldn't have been able to catch.

If Valve start checking games they'll need a QA department like the console manufacturers, and we all know how much developers love those.

Spaghetti

valve doesn't really have to check the games at all

they're not the publisher, steam is just the distribution platform

you don't ask gamestop to check games for bugs

Grief.exe

Well, if they patch it, the good people of the internets will write actual helpful reviews that will get voted up on the Steam system as helpful, right? And the kneejerk reaction reviews will get voted down as unhelpful, right?

This guy has already updated his review

2cOuLTV.png

Sendou

If Valve start checking games they'll nee a QA department like the console manufacturers. And we all know how much developers love those.

I thought Valve does check the games coming to the service to some extent. At least I remember seeing some ramblings about removing this requirement before patch is allowed through making the process faster (and riskier I suppose). Did this already happen or is QA 100% on the developer/publisher?

Yeah - I know. I shouldn't have made it a question, but it sort of was supposed to be - because coldfoot implied it was.

Well, it'd be understandable if someone didn't know because I think for a week or so after launch it required it, then they dumped it.

I have confidence this is a bug (MGR), and I still have faith it'll get fixed. The PC Port is pretty solid otherwise, like Grief.exe says.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

Also, you can change the rating on your Steam reviews. For example the ones in the OP can go back later and change their reviews to positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom