• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

It might be worth trying to clean the board. Micro care Power clean is a great board cleaning solvent. Got to be worth a shot if the board is pretty much a write off.

Might be worth asking Schiit if they can help or do a board replacement without you having to buy the whole unit again.

Thanks a lot for the suggestion, I was contemplating to clean the board, as the part that looks "damaged" has an area a bit bigger than a coin (like a square inch).

It worked with a router several years ago, though that time I was much more radical and I just drowned the entire unit in water+detergent, then I put it over the roof where it's very hot so I was sure it was going to be 100% dry, and well... it came back from the afterlife. Let's see if that works again.

Since I live in Chile (South América) it's not an option to me to send the unit back to Schiit. Basically the shipping+repair costs would be too high. It's better to buy a new unit. I think Magni is a great option, considering most of the time I was using Asgard as a preamp for my Genelecs M030, and as a headphone amp for some of my meetings via Skype (I work from home).

andylsun

Thanks a lot for the suggestion, I was contemplating to clean the board, as the part that looks "damaged" has an area a bit bigger than a coin (like a square inch).

It worked with a router several years ago, though that time I was much more radical and I just drowned the entire unit in water+detergent, then I put it over the roof where it's very hot so I was sure it was going to be 100% dry, and well... it came back from the afterlife. Let's see if that works again.

Since I live in Chile (South América) it's not an option to me to send the unit back to Schiit. Basically the shipping+repair costs would be too high. It's better to buy a new unit. I think Magni is a great option, considering most of the time I was using Asgard as a preamp for my Genelecs M030, and as a headphone amp for some of my meetings via Skype (I work from home).

As you are in Chile and Power Clean might be expensive (you'd have to import it from the USA) try 91% iso-propoyl alcohol. It won't do any [more] harm at least, or some electrical contact cleaner (Caig Deoxit, or whatever your local variant is - check with a TV repair shop)

As you are in Chile and Power Clean might be expensive (you'd have to import it from the USA) try 91% iso-propoyl alcohol. It won't do any [more] harm at least, or some electrical contact cleaner (Caig Deoxit, or whatever your local variant is - check with a TV repair shop)

Thanks again, mate!

HiResDes

Is there a preamp for speakers that has the ability to play both unbalanced and balanced outputs simultaneously. I feel like this doesn't exist lol

matmanx1

Picked up the Schiit Stack Uber just in time for the Bank Holiday Weekend.

Feels good to be able to put my AKG 702s to good use again ever since the Creative E5 started causing problems.

Still trying to suss out whether to go with Low or Hi gain for music listening.

The consensus with Schiit amps is that they were made to be used in Hi gain for most of the headphones out there. Low gain is an option for extremely sensitive headphones or IEM's.

Welp, I just sat in front of my PC to do some work, so I decided I was going to listen some nice music through my Asgard 2 too. As soon as I turned it on, I began to hear some nasty sounds coming from the right channel.

I looked through the amp's top grill and I realized one my cats peed on it and as a consequence, a good amount of the surface mounted components were looking darker than my luck. Totally burnt.

RIP Asgard 2.

Now I need another amp, I guess this time I'll try Magni 2 Uber.

PS: FUCKING CAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doh! Sorry to hear that.

Vali 2 makes a great pre-amp and headphone amp while also giving you some "tube goodness". I think the Vali 2 is a better sounding amp than the Magni 2 for similar money. But that's just my opinion.

Vali 2 makes a great pre-amp and headphone amp while also giving you some "tube goodness". I think the Vali 2 is a better sounding amp than the Magni 2 for similar money. But that's just my opinion.

I'll take into consideration your suggestion, thanks!

Today I'll try to revive my Asgard, so in case it doesn't work, I still have time to decide what to buy.

Thanks for your suggestion, although I'm not a big fan of tubes, mainly due to their limited lifespan (my PC and hence my amp, are turned on almost 12 hours a day, so I tend to prefer a solid state solution).

nitewulf

Is there a preamp for speakers that has the ability to play both unbalanced and balanced outputs simultaneously. I feel like this doesn't exist lol

Yeah, plenty. I use an Ayre k5xeMP:

Ayre_back.jpg

Heel

Got the PlayStation Platinum Headset in to compare with the Golds.

First impression is the Platinums seem to get louder, sounding "bigger" (sound stage, I guess?) and more defined with individual sounds compared to the Golds on the same preset. The Uncharted 4 preset with virtual surround turned on sounds great on these things, will probably be my go-to default for all games.

Maybe a little "harsher" is how I would try to describe the sound in comparison, and tougher to listen to for extended periods. I haven't really had time to feel set on that opinion. May just come down to me using a louder volume and needing to turn them down a bit for extended use.

Comfort, I'd have to give a slight edge to the Golds, but that may just come down to breaking them in. The earpads look identical in size/shape. Platinums weigh a little more (11.8 ounces vs. 10.7 ounces). Band padding feels more comfortable on the Golds to me. A little more clamp on the Platinums and prefer the Golds in this regard, but again may just be a break-in thing and end up being negligible.

I like the soft, clicky buttons on the Gold compared the more shallow, hard plastic ones on the Platinum. Not a biggie, but a note.

Software features: In the Headphones app, you're able to add/change presets on the Platinum wirelessly, without connecting with USB like you do with the Golds. Nice little feature. You're also able to listen to a sound sample and cycle through different presets in real-time to get an idea how they differ, which is also missing on the Golds.

Still need to try out the mic quality, but comparison reviews all tend to say it's a small upgrade.

So yeah, still need to use them for a while to form more of a definitive opinion on the sound, but if that pans out as a direct upgrade it's seeming to be I will gladly deal with the small trade-offs. Definitely liking them a ton better than Philips 9500S as an option for PS4 gaming.

matmanx1

I'll take into consideration your suggestion, thanks!

Today I'll try to revive my Asgard, so in case it doesn't work, I still have time to decide what to buy.

Thanks for your suggestion, although I'm not a big fan of tubes, mainly due to their limited lifespan (my PC and hence my amp, are turned on almost 12 hours a day, so I tend to prefer a solid state solution).

The stock tube in the Vali 2 (and it only uses 1) sounds plenty good enough and is cheap as chips. It should be good for 3000 - 5000 hours and a direct replacement from Schiit is like $20 (although you can find cheaper 6922 tubes on Ebay that are still good). The jump in realism and euphonics is more than worth the minor tube cost IMO.

The stock tube in the Vali 2 (and it only uses 1) sounds plenty good enough and is cheap as chips. It should be good for 3000 - 5000 hours and a direct replacement from Schiit is like $20 (although you can find cheaper 6922 tubes on Ebay that are still good). The jump in realism and euphonics is more than worth the minor tube cost IMO.

That's nice to know, thanks for the info.

UPDATE ABOUT MY AUDIOPHILE DRAMA:

My task about disassembling Asgard got incredible difficult due to a decision I made briefly after I bought it: I hated the tiny rubber feet that came with the unit.

Sooo, I bought those typical spiky cone feet made of metal. No, I don't believe that cables make a difference in audio, much less those feet, I bought them cause they looked more cool (IMO) and also helped to raise the Asgard to avoid Bifrost to be exposed to all the heat the amp generates. The thing is I glued the feet with a product similar to Loctite Super Bonder and they ended being placed in the four corners, where there were screws that were critical to disassemble the unit.

Long story short, the Loctite was all over the screws and no matter what, it was impossible to take them out.

So I poured like half a liter of isopropyl alcohol through the top grill and let it sink there for half an hour or so. Then to my surprise, I was able to see that what looked like burnt components at the beginning was actually a mix of dust, kitty hair and well... pee. Some capacitors and resistors looked a bit sulfated (?) at their terminals, but besides that, they looked ok. I used a long needle through the grill to scrap as much as possible the remaining dirt around those components.

Finally, I was like "to hell with this" and decided to drown the damn amp in warm water + detergent for 1 hour, then rinse and finally I put it on my house's roof the whole morning (it is a sunny day so that helped a lot).

About 15 minutes ago I connected everything and...

IT'S ALIVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL I can't believe it. It works as perfect as before the "incident". Now I need to go to buy a lottery ticket.

Finally, a picture of Chica, the bandit, enjoying the warmth of Asgard (this was some weeks ago):

PmmcbKm.png

Heel

I thought I could handle the wait for my HD6XX, but this suuuuuuuuuuuuucks

Not to make the wait feel even longer, but I've been using them daily and so glad I took the dive on a nice pair of headphones. I can't imagine going back to buying $30 every year or so. The wait will be worth it!

matmanx1

My task about disassembling Asgard got incredible difficult due to a decision I made briefly after I bought it: I hated the tiny rubber feet that came with the unit.

Sooo, I bought those typical spiky cone feet made of metal. No, I don't believe that cables make a difference in audio, much less those feet, I bought them cause they looked more cool (IMO) and also helped to raise the Asgard to avoid Bifrost to be exposed to all the heat the amp generates. The thing is I glued the feet with a product similar to Loctite Super Bonder and they ended being placed in the four corners, where there were screws that were critical to disassemble the unit.

Long story short, the Loctite was all over the screws and no matter what, it was impossible to take them out.

So I poured like half a liter of isopropyl alcohol through the top grill and let it sink there for half an hour or so. Then to my surprise, I was able to see that what looked like burnt components at the beginning was actually a mix of dust, kitty hair and well... pee. Some capacitors and resistors looked a bit sulfated (?) at their terminals, but besides that, they looked ok. I used a long needle through the grill to scrap as much as possible the remaining dirt around those components.

Finally, I was like "to hell with this" and decided to drown the damn amp in warm water + detergent for 1 hour, then rinse and finally I put it on my house's roof the whole morning (it is a sunny day so that helped a lot).

LOL I can't believe it. It works as perfect as before the "incident". Now I need to go to buy a lottery ticket.

Finally, a picture of Chica, the bandit, enjoying the warmth of Asgard (this was some weeks ago):

PmmcbKm.png

Hilarious and awesome! So glad it came back to life for you. Cute kitty also but I don't think I would be letting her on my amps anymore!

andylsun

PmmcbKm.png

YEAH! Glad you got it up and running. If you ever have to do this again you want a final rinse to be something without water (e.g. 91% IPA) but baking it in the sun probably did the job.

If you put the spikes on the top as well as the bottom,your cat (who looks lovely) would probably not make the same mistake again.

YEAH! Glad you got it up and running. If you ever have to do this again you want a final rinse to be something without water (e.g. 91% IPA) but baking it in the sun probably did the job.

If you put the spikes on the top as well as the bottom,your cat (who looks lovely) would probably not make the same mistake again.

That's actually a very good idea, considering I have like 5 or 6 spare spikes.

So I got the SMSL AD18 DAC/AMP:
http://www.smsl-audio.com/productshow.asp?id=95

I have a few ?s (I'm fairly new to audio hardware):

1 - I can't be 100% certain based on the specs if the DAC benefits would apply to any digital input, not just USB? I plan to use mine with an optical input only, but it would only be an amp if the DAC is to USB only.

2 - Related to the first question; is there any HDMI extractor / de-embedder that can extract audio to a USB signal?

3 - Are there 2.5mm to 5-way speaker banana plugs? Or at least 3.5mm to banana?

I have yet to mail the perfect setup to enjoy my console games with my Hifiman HE 400i planar magnetic cans but I'm loving all the learning I'm doing! Thanks in advance for any help.

the_id

finally got by chord hugo 2 delivered. Currently I'm using it as a pre-amp to my HDVD800 amp and listening with my HD800S with balanced cables.

First thing I noticed - the instrument separation improved compared to the DAC on the HDVD800. There was also a better bass response to my headphone.

Only thing right now is the driver seems to be messed up.

I'll come back to write more impressions once I've spent more time listening to it.

LQX

The Focal ELEAR is on sale at Adorama for $699. I'm really tempted, especially after cancelling $500 worth of shit from Massdrop. Anyone have it and can compare it to the E-MU Teak or even HD650?

matmanx1

The Focal ELEAR is on sale at Adorama for $699. I'm really tempted, especially after cancelling $500 worth of shit from Massdrop. Anyone have it and can compare it to the E-MU Teak or even HD650?

I demoed the Elear for a review a while back. I own the Emu Teak. I have not owned or reviewed an HD650 simply because I tend to find Sennheiser stuff pretty uncomfortable on my head.

I will say right up front that I prefer the sonic signature of the Emu Teak moreso than the Elear.

Regarding the Elear it is beautiful to look at, very well built and one of the most comfortable headphones that I have ever tried. It is much more comfortable in stock form than any of the Fostex variants. The Elear also has a unique sound to it that really compliments certain genre's of music (I really liked guitar dominated rock and roll with the Elear) but lacks the overall rumble and sweetness of the Emu Teak.

The Elear has a noticeable mid bass punchiness and a bit of a treble dip. Except for materials and build quality I don't think it is so much "better" than the Emu Teak than just "different".

$699 sounds about right for a new one, in my opinion.

LQX

Awesome. Been seeing quite a few that seem to prefer TH-X00 and think the bass is much better. And they all love the comfort and build quality like you though. Thanks for your input.

Instead of spending up, more and more I'm thinking the Emu Teak is the next headphone I should settle on. I loved the shit out of TH-X00 Mahogany and Purple Heart but was not fan of the build quality thus got rid of them.

HiResDes

Has anyone done an in-depth comparison of the Atticus and Eikon versus the Teaks? Just wondering how better the Eikons are and if they actually warrant the steep price tag.

LQX

New Massdrop collaboration coming up.

Massdrop × Grace Design Standard DAC - will launch September 5 at 6 a.m. PT for $79.99 with free US shipping.

A New Standard in Objective Performance

Made in collaboration with Grace Design, a company known for its incredibly accurate, transparent studio gear, the Standard DAC sets a new standard in entry-level DACs. It applies Grace Design’s pro-audio expertise to a simpler, more accessibly priced model that makes a great addition to any home or office system. Designed with the objectivist audiophile in mind, the SDAC delivers objectively good performance meant to meet or exceed the measurements of the popular ODAC while retaining many of its other benefits. Compact, capable, and easy to use, it could be all the DAC you need—and it’s here for $79.99.

73Mk8Ob.png

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdr...leCampaignId=161304&iterableTemplateId=233088

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Has anyone done an in-depth comparison of the Atticus and Eikon versus the Teaks? Just wondering how better the Eikons are and if they actually warrant the steep price tag.

Our own matmanx1 has both the Eikon and Teak in hand. Talked about it a bit in post #8911.

I'm sure he'll chime in with much deeper thoughts now that you've asked.

matmanx1

Awesome. Been seeing quite a few that seem to prefer TH-X00 and think the bass is much better. And they all love the comfort and build quality like you though. Thanks for your input.

Instead of spending up, more and more I'm thinking the Emu Teak is the next headphone I should settle on. I loved the shit out of TH-X00 Mahogany and Purple Heart but was not fan of the build quality thus got rid of them.

For what it's worth the Emu isn't really built that much better than the TH-X00's. It is lighter (which I really like) and it now has removable cables (which I love) but the actual materials used and the build quality is fairly similar. It does sound yummy though.

I don't have an Atticus (although I would really like to someday) but I have done quite a bit of back and forth with the Eikon and the Emu Teak. The short version is that I really like both of them and they are different enough that they really don't overlap all that much in terms of sounding similar. (I have read the Atticus is like a more mature sounding Fostex variant, for what that is worth).

For the average listener or beginner in this hobby the Emu Teak is an easy recommendation. It sounds great out of most phones and even better out of even a basic DAC and Amp. It really isn't that picky. I happen to think a hybrid amp like the Lyr 2 or Vali 2 is perfect but even something like a Magni 2 is plenty. For very little extra money you can have a great sounding setup that would impress the pants off of most folks.

In my opinion the best thing about them is the wood cups. Mine are gorgeous. I've owned the TH-X00 and my friend at work has the TH-X00 Purpleheart and I think the Teak is easily the best looking of the three. And they are certainly the lightest and most open sounding, which is a big plus. The actual build quality isn't that impressive for a $500 headphone but it isnt embarrassing either.

Overall sound is very warm and sweet with a lot of bass emphasis and treble that is a little bit hot. Depending on how sensitive you are to treble issues they could be fatiguing for you.

In the interest of full disclosure I will say that I have given up on owning a Fostex variant unless the earpads get a full redesign. I have sensitive ears and we just don't get on well. My Emu Teaks are actually up for sale over at head-fi and if anyone here is interested please let me know via PM. I hate to let them go because I really enjoy how they sound but it isn't worth headaches and ear aches.

Now the ZMF Eikon.... I guess the obvious differences between it and the Emu Teak (or any Fostex variant) would be 1) build quality/ material quality 2) scalability 3) sonic signature 4) weight. And most of this will apply to the Atticus as well.

The Eikon is certainly a much more impressive headphone to look at and to interact with. All of the materials are really high quality and there is zero plastic used. Its all metal, leather and wood. The earpads are massive and have the highest quality memory foam that I have yet experienced. It is an extremely comfortable headphone for me to wear and I love the way the giant earcups completely surround my ears (so no pressure or contact). The leather is very soft and supple and the whole package looks and feels really premium.

The sound on the Eikon is fairly unique for a closed back headphone. It really doesn't emphasize anything strongly or have any noticeable dips in frequency response. Zach described it as "ZMF reference" meaning it still has a bit of warmth and perhaps a bit more bass presence but it is nowhere close to the bassiness of the Fostex cans (and this is where the Atticus comes in).

It extends very low but the presentation is classy and refined instead of what I call "street" bass which favors power and volume over refinement and integration into the rest of the music. Unlike the Fostex variants the Eikon is never fatiguing with its sound and you can pretty much listen all day to whatever type of music you like and the Eikon will make it sound good. It doesn't fly quite as high as the Emu Teak in terms of initial wow factor but it is more consistent and, to me, more listenable over the long term. The Eikon really commits very few sins which means I find myself going back to it time and time again.

The one possible downside for me, so far, is that I really don't think I have paired it with an amp that is really getting 100% out of it. It's a pricey headphone and from my reading and research it seems like it was designed to really have the best pairing with some of the best (read: most expensive) amps out there. Stuff like the Wells Audio units or the Ampsandsound Kenzie which are easily $1500 and up. High end tube amps seem to be the most recommended pairing and I just don't have the scratch for that at this point. But hey, at least you know it scales well with your gear. (and I will say that my DAC choice of Metrum Musette was recommended by Zach and I have been super happy with that pairing.)

My amp right now is a simple Vali 2 with the stock tube and I actually don't think you could find a better sounding amp for the Eikon that is less than $500. It's my favorite amp that I have yet tried and that includes the Night Blues Mini, the Lyr 2, the Valhalla 2, the Jotunheim and the Jotunheim + Saga. I throw that in to show that even though the Eikon was made to scale way on up you really don't have to spend a ton to get great sound out of it.

Finally, the weight difference between the two is quite large. The Eikon is just a much heavier and much more substantial feeling headphone. The weight has not been an issue for me (and I have a small head and skinny neck) because the headband does such a good job distributing the weight and is well padded. Overall, even with the weight, the Eikon is far more comfortable than the Emu Teak.

I've enjoyed using my Eikons for music, certainly, but they have also become a staple for movie watching late at night and even gaming. They really are great all around headphones.

I don't know if that helps anyone make a decision or not. I think the Eikon / Atticus are wonderful headphones and Zach has done a tremendous job with customer service and with ZMF. We still exchange emails once in a while and he is very down to earth and a genuine hobbyist who loves what he does and loves the community. But headphones that cost over $1000 definitely require a financial commitment and certainly deserve a bit more research and thought before jumping in.

I think anyone who took the plunge would be well pleased with what they receive but, like I said at the beginning, at $500 (which is half the cost of the Atticus and less than half the cost of the Eikon) the Emu Teak is an easier recommendation to make for most people.

Summary - Emu Teak - Fun and sweet. Makes everything warm, bassy and a bit sparkly. Really uncomfortable (for me) earpads and only so-so build and material quality.

ZMF Eikon (Atticus) - Imparts less of itself on the music or sound but also manages to make just about everything sound really good. Scales very well. Very high build and material quality, extremely comfortable earcups and headband. Quite pricey and will need pricey gear to get 100% out of it.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yeah, similar review like that make me think that I'm good with my Emu Teaks for awhile. I still really want the Eikon but the hunger is nowhere as strong as before.

I'll probably get it one day, but right now my goal is a good, bassy ciem. Which is harder to pin down than you would think.

K.Jack

I feel like the Teak has me right on the edge of diminishing returns, as far as want I want from a closed back headphone. The leap from the PM-3 ($399) to the Teak ($499) brought a massive improvement in SQ, but to make another such improvement would require a large investment in both the cost of the headphones, and the gear from which they run.

I can now turn my attention to open back planars. I'm really not sure in which direction I should even begin.

Oh, btw, never mentioned this: The Jotunheim is great. Very clean sound. Exactly what I was looking for from an amp/DAC combo. Now I just need a balanced cable for the Teak.

Hey folks!

So I'm getting ready to upgrade my phone in the next couple of months and this week's previews of the LG V30 have really got that phone looking like the top contender (I'm still waiting to see how the Pixel 2 looks before making any final decision, though).

I use my phone DAILY during my commute to listen to music with some sony Extra Bass earbuds, but I have never owned a "HiFi" pair of headphones or earbuds. My gaming laptop has a DAC that supports "hifi" audio but none of my headphones or earbuds work when I enable it. If I were to get the V30, which seems to tout a high quality DAC as one of its various features, I was wondering if you all could recommend how to identify HiFi headphones that would best take advantage of "HiFi" DAC like my phone (and maybe even my laptop)?

If it helps to narrow it down, here are my generalized conditions for what I'm looking for:
- No more than $150
- Able to travel easily -- I use them for a commute, not just home listening -- I honestly tend to prefer earbuds over headphones, but I'm okay with either as long as it can go with me without too much space
- Equalization that slightly favors bass, as I listen to electronic music more often than not. Customizable equalizer is also fine, as long as I can eventually achieve a slight emphasis on bass.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
BTW, can anyone here comment on the sound quality of the Samsung S8+ (or S8 seeing that I'm assuming that they're the same)?

Looking to upgrade soon.

HiResDes

Hey folks!

So I'm getting ready to upgrade my phone in the next couple of months and this week's previews of the LG V30 have really got that phone looking like the top contender (I'm still waiting to see how the Pixel 2 looks before making any final decision, though).

I use my phone DAILY during my commute to listen to music with some sony Extra Bass earbuds, but I have never owned a "HiFi" pair of headphones or earbuds. My gaming laptop has a DAC that supports "hifi" audio but none of my headphones or earbuds work when I enable it. If I were to get the V30, which seems to tout a high quality DAC as one of its various features, I was wondering if you all could recommend how to identify HiFi headphones that would best take advantage of "HiFi" DAC like my phone (and maybe even my laptop)?

If it helps to narrow it down, here are my generalized conditions for what I'm looking for:
- No more than $150
- Able to travel easily -- I use them for a commute, not just home listening -- I honestly tend to prefer earbuds over headphones, but I'm okay with either as long as it can go with me without too much space
- Equalization that slightly favors bass, as I listen to electronic music more often than not. Customizable equalizer is also fine, as long as I can eventually achieve a slight emphasis on bass.
When you say earbuds are you also talking about in ear monitors

K.Jack

Hey folks!

- No more than $150
LG marketing it as a "HiFi" DAC, does not mean there is such a thing as a "HiFi" headphone. I say that as an owner of an LG V20, and stupid expensive headphones.

All they're saying is that it will properly drive any potable headphones you plug into it.

As for a recommendation, I would like you to check out the Yamaha EPH-100SL.

BTW, can anyone here comment on the sound quality of the Samsung S8+ (or S8 seeing that I'm assuming that they're the same)?

Looking to upgrade soon.

My Note 7 was so freaking disappointing, which (along with the explodey issue) is how I ended up with the V20.

In my reading the S8 line is significantly improved over that generation.

Prez

I'm looking to upgrade from my Sennheiser HD555. Any suggestions? I definitely want to stick with Sennheiser since I vastly prefer the warmer sound signature. What I'm looking for most is more sound separation. I'd like to have a shorter cable than the 555's 3m and a 3.5mm jack plug. It should sound good enough without an external amp though I will buy one for occasional use for better sound.

HD559 comes to mind but I'd prefer a more high-end pair. I can go up to $300.

andylsun

I'm looking to upgrade from my Sennheiser HD555. Any suggestions? I definitely want to stick with Sennheiser since I vastly prefer the warmer sound signature. What I'm looking for most is more sound separation. I'd like to have a shorter cable than the 555's 3m and a 3.5mm jack plug. It should sound good enough without an external amp though I will buy one for occasional use for better sound.

HD559 comes to mind but I'd prefer a more high-end pair. I can go up to $300.

I don't think you will find much of a step up from 555 without needing an amp. 600/650/800 will all need amps.

If you want more separation with your 555 have you tried removing the foam pad behind the driver? That will open up the soundstage and bring it closer to the 595.

http://mikebeauchamp.com/misc/sennheiser-hd-555-to-hd-595-mod/

Not sure what cable options are available with the 555 and I know that mine is not detachable. To be honest you could cut the cable and reterminate with a 3.5mm plug.

Prez

I don't think you will find much of a step up from 555 without needing an amp. 600/650/800 will all need amps.

If you want more separation with your 555 have you tried removing the foam pad behind the driver? That will open up the soundstage and bring it closer to the 595.

http://mikebeauchamp.com/misc/sennheiser-hd-555-to-hd-595-mod/

Not sure what cable options are available with the 555 and I know that mine is not detachable. To be honest you could cut the cable and reterminate with a 3.5mm plug.

I've done that but doesn't make that big of a difference to me.

I'm considering the HD599 but don't know if it's a big improvement over my 555's.

K.Jack

You won't get a major step up, within the Sennheiser line, without also having to invest in an Amp/DAC to power them.

Why buy the 599, when it's basically the same price as Sennheiser's HD600, a goat regarded headphone.

The 599 is even more suspect, when Massdrop is doing 6XX runs at $199. Seems like a really bad value.

wilflare

for those using Wireless headphones...

how are you guys charging it - I've been reading we should avoid charging it with those phone chargers (especially fast charge ones)

what about those Anker multi-port chargers?

Courage

My pair of HE-400 headphones finally croaked (right cup just fell off) and I'm bummed out. If I wanted a similar pair of headphones, V-shaped with punchy bass, is the LCD 2 my only option as an 'upgrade'?

I'm also looking at the HE-400i since it's obviously cheaper and need something to tide me over, but I'm worried the bass may be weak based on what I've read. Anyone have the 400's or 400i's that can comment on this?

LQX

My pair of HE-400 headphones finally croaked (right cup just fell off) and I'm bummed out. If I wanted a similar pair of headphones, V-shaped with punchy bass, is the LCD 2 my only option as an 'upgrade'?

I'm also looking at the HE-400i since it's obviously cheaper and need something to tide me over, but I'm worried the bass may be weak based on what I've read. Anyone have the 400's or 400i's that can comment on this?

Damn, you just missed out on the HE4XX on Massdrop.

Maybe the Monoprice M1060? Much cheaper than the LCD 2.

Vargavinter

Hey gang! I've been thinking to invest in a pair of good headphones to wear when I watch tv and play games in the couch. I've been using some cheap 35$ headset for years because my old headphones got lost when I was moving.

My current setup is that i just connect them to the headphone jacket on the TV and thats basically it.

So what I'm looking for is a pair of closed headphones that are non-portable since I will only use it hooked up to my TV and nothing else. Portability wont hurt, but I have not plans to use them outside.

They need to be really comfortable to wear so I can wear them for hours without discomfort.

And since I have limited experience with headphones (I have a pair of Sennheiser Momentum for my phone when I'm out but they are not so comfortable to wear over a long duration of time) I look obviously for good sound but I have little to compare with.

I'm looking for a stereo headset ofc, nothing with a microphone or any surround etc, even if I use them for gaming but I only play Single Player-games on the couch.

I would like them to have a cord that you can replace if something would happen with the cord. And a long cord is a plus, but I use a extender on my current headphones to reach my TV. Do you need to buy any higher quality cord-extender to get the most out of a pair of expensive headphones? Or do any cord work?

I would say my budget is 350$ max.

Do I need to get a headphone Amp to get the best sound? Or can I just hook the headphones up to my TV and still get the best sound?

Thanks!

K.Jack

The HE-400i will disappoint you greatly, coming from the 400. I've experienced both.

Open, V-shaped with bass is the Fischer Audio FA-011. Bass for days.

Are you opposed to just getting your headphones fixed though?

Courage

The HE-400i will disappoint you greatly, coming from the 400. I've experienced both.

Open, V-shaped with bass is the Fischer Audio FA-011. Bass for days.

Are you opposed to just getting your headphones fixed though?

I'll be calling HiFiMAN tomorrow to see, but if I'm gonna have to pay +$100 to ship it to China, I might as well invest in a new pair of headphones or try to repair the HE-400 myself.

I'm ngl if I see the LCD2 for $600-700 I might bite.

HiResDes

Can someone let me know if any of the headphones here are any good
http://www.selby.com.au/electronics/headphones/over-ear.html

I was looking at the M-100's as recommended earlier here but hadn't purchased them yet. I was sent a discount to these guys but aren't sure how any of them compare to the M-100's.
50x wouldn't be bad with what you like, I never loved them but they are a consensus favorite for sure. SRH840s also a decent choice but you might be bored by their lack of bass impact.

Top Bottom