• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hypoallergenic dogs

• Thread starter Deleted member 81567
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I love dogs, so I want to adopt one.
I just wish I could've been near them. My dog allergies range from sneezing, red, teary eyes to even extreme issues like breathing issues that exacerbates with my asthma.

Even though hypoallergenic dog breeds are kind of "mythical", do some GAFfers have hypoallergenic dogs since they're allergic?

Also, does anyone know some websites I can look from? I know petfinder and adopt-a-pet. Really trying to find the best option here.

Davedough

My mother has a west highland terrier and my niece is highly allergic to animal dander. Whenever she comes over to my mother's house, her allergies don't bother her at all. Westies are one of these mythical dogs.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
My mother has a west highland terrier and my niece is highly allergic to animal dander. Whenever she comes over to my mother's house, her allergies don't bother her at all. Westies are one of these mythical dogs.

About to search some right now. Only hypoallergenic dog I've been with was a Maltese. No reactions whatsoever.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
My mom has an adorable shih-tsu. Kind of an effeminate little doll of a dog, so maybe it's not what you're looking for, but I am quite allergic to most dogs, while she does nothing to me. They're also really quiet, personable and clean.

slider

There's a lovely hypoallergenic dog down the road from me. The guy was telling me his wife is allergic so they went that route. Next time I see him I'll ask him about it (although it's been a while since I've seen him).

I'm ill so can't even be bothered to Google but aren't labradoodles hypoallergenic? I'm probably wrong but...

Cockapoos are considered to be "hypoallergenic", although there really is no such thing because people are allergic to the dander, not the fur.

SUPREME1

Banned
Cocker/Poodle (Cockapoo)

Shitsu/Poodle (I call her a Shitpoo)

These are what we have at home. Love my doggies so much.

Yeah, no shedding... hair, not fur.

Machine

In my experience there is no such thing. I'm extremely allergic to dogs and every time someone says I should be okay because their dog is hypoallergenic, I still have a reaction.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
In my experience there is no such thing. I'm extremely allergic to dogs and every time someone says I should be okay because their dog is hypoallergenic, I still have a reaction.

How extreme are your reactions? Any other pets you can recommend?

Axion22

My gf is allergic to dogs, specifically their saliva. So we got a Snorkie (Schnauzer + Yorkie) and she has no problems.

NIDOkl.jpg

Lil pup turned 1 yesterday.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
My gf is allergic to dogs, specifically their saliva. So we got a Snorkie (Schnauzer + Yorkie) and she has no problems.

NIDOkl.jpg

Lil pup turned 1 yesterday.

That's a cute, little dog.
To you, and other hypoallergenic dog owners: what is the price range for these dogs? Adoption fees aren't that bad, but if I was willing to buy one?

Machine

How extreme are your reactions? Any other pets you can recommend?

My reactions include runny nose, watery eyes, and wheezing/shortness of breath. If I know I'm going to be around dogs, I need to bring an inhaler. I also have to make sure not to touch the animal and to change clothes and take a shower as soon as I get home to minimize my reaction. Oddly, I don't have the same problem with cats which is the opposite of most people. If I were go have a pet, I would probably go the cat route or else get a small rodent that stays in a cage.

Axion22

That's a cute, little dog.
To you, and other hypoallergenic dog owners: what is the price range for these dogs? Adoption fees aren't that bad, but if I was willing to buy one?

She was $400 from the breeder. Sometimes I jokingly ask my gf if it was worth it and if we should have haggled.

Kisaya

I love hypoallergenic dogs :) I would really want one, especially since most of my friends are allergic to animals, but my family hates dogs lmao

I've seen some hypoallergenic cats also and they were really cute :) They just look very fragile though (same with the dogs)

SUPREME1

Banned
thread gives me an excuse to post a picture of my puppy Daisy

daisy.jpg

Cockapoo

OMG, my cockapoo's name is also Daisy. And she looks almost exactly like your dog, except she's vanilla in color.

Hehe... nice.

Edit: What happened to your pic? I was gonna show my wifey later.

: (

My miniature schnauzer is four now. They're great for allergies, and they never shed. Downside: train them early to socialize and not to bark. If they aren't trained well, they can be a nuisance, like my dog. Still love him though.

Aylinato

OMG, my cockapoo's name is also Daisy. And she looks almost exactly like your dog, except she's vanilla in color.

Hehe... nice.

Edit: What happened to your pic? I was gonna show my wifey later.

: (

the picture isn't there? I was messing around with some of the pictures, not that one though

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
My mother and I had pet allergies when I was growing up but my parents got us a Bichon Frise after doing some research. We ended up getting a second a year later when a friend of the family got one but couldn't keep him because of where they lived so we took him in. They were awesome for small dogs and never made noise or a mess in the house. This is a pic of what they looked like.

Dogs.jpg

Our first is the one on the right (pure bred) and the one on the left wasn't pure bred but I don't know what he was mixed with.

Davedough

My mother and I had pet allergies when I was growing up but my parents got us a Bichon Frise after doing some research. We ended up getting a second a year later when a friend of the family got one but couldn't keep him because of where they lived so we took him in. They were awesome for small dogs and never made noise or a mess in the house. This is a pic of what they looked like.

Dogs.jpg

Our first is the one on the right (pure bred) and the one on the left wasn't pure bred but I don't know what he was mixed with.

Thats a fucking two headed dog! Why aren't you making money off of that?!?

Also... how does it go to the bathroom? Canine Centipede is confusing.

sk3

Banned
Well like all allergies YMMV. My family has a couple people allergic to dogs and the other half allergic to cats. We've had Shih-Tzus nonstop for 20 years without an issue.

The haircuts are a pain in the ass though. You gotta budget like $40/month for that for their whole lives.

That is the weirdest shih tzu I've ever seen. It looks huge. They are supposed to be no more than 15 pounds. Who knows what mix that is.

Fuzzy

Thats a fucking two headed dog! Why aren't you making money off of that?!?

Also... how does it go to the bathroom? Canine Centipede is confusing.
The younger one always leaned against the older one when sitting. What was funny was that he couldn't sit on a wood or tile floor or else his ass would slide out from under him. :lol

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Well like all allergies YMMV. My family has a couple people allergic to dogs and the other half allergic to cats. We've had Shih-Tzus nonstop for 20 years without an issue.

The haircuts are a pain in the ass though. You gotta budget like $40/month for that for their whole lives.

That is the weirdest shih tzu I've ever seen. It looks huge. They are supposed to be no more than 15 pounds. Who knows what mix that is.

Fortunately, there's an open trial period if I decide on going with him.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Schnauzers don't shed or have noticeable dander in any way. Great for those with allergies. Terrible for those with ears.

Fuzzy

Schnauzers don't shed or have noticeable dander in any way. Great for those with allergies. Terrible for those with ears.
They're not very tame dogs either. My cousin had two and a friend of the family had two (they died) and now have three. All of them were/are maniacs and that's after training. My dogs were calm and gentle, even with very young children but the Miniature Schnauzers weren't/aren't. My other cousin also had a Bichon and he was the same way as mine.

Pagusas

Elden Member
25881_664831201157_37600956_36941028_7468195_n.jpg

My dog Winston doesnt shed at all, and friends with allergies to dogs are fine around him. No clue what he is though, I've always just assumed he's a mutt.

bwahhhhh

there's a lot of poodle-mixes out there for just this reason, they don't really shed, and have "hair" instead of the typical fur, it'll grow and grow until you cut it. labra-doodle, golden-doodle, etc. in my case, most of my allergies come from the stuff the dogs bring inside and get on their fur, (I'm allergic to grass, for example) a simple wash down or wet-towel wipe helps big time.

one of my roommates had a pekepoo ("peek-a-poo") that was around 8 lbs, cross of pekingese and miniature poodle, he was like 8 lbs, she took him everywhere. here's a pic of him with my dog (he's a 120 lb Great Pyrenees)

l24iF.jpg

You can take a time machine to 2002 and grab one of these puppies.

Robot_Dog.gif

Grab me a Wonderball while you are at it! The Toy Story one, not the princesses one.

Axion22

They're not very tame dogs either. My cousin had two and a friend of the family had two (they died) and now have three. All of them were/are maniacs and that's after training. My dogs were calm and gentle, even with very young children but the Miniature Schnauzers weren't/aren't. My other cousin also had a Bichon and he was the same way as mine.

Haha. My pup doesn't like kids, either. I don't blame her, tiny people are kinda weird when you think about it and I can't explain how humans grow up to her.

Kyuur

Labradoodle! My family has had ours for about 6 years and she is amazing. Absolutely fantastic with kids and other animals, obedient and quiet.

These are the most recent pics I have (2-3 years ago):

98uld.jpg
62t20.jpg

Pagusas

Elden Member
SoftCoatedWheatenTerrierDSCF0022.JPG

Soft coated wheaten terrier. Doesn't shed and is one of the most consistently nice dogs I've ever met.

I am almost sure my dog is part wheaten based off there body shape and moods (and soft coat that doesnt shed) I just wish i knew what else he was, as he's only 26lbs.

Do */Poodle mixes always take on the Poodle fur trait or will a litter be mixed? Hate to think what happens to puppies that don't come out just right :/

Kyuur

Do */Poodle mixes always take on the Poodle fur trait or will a litter be mixed? Hate to think what happens to puppies that don't come out just right :/

I know Lab/Poodle mixes can have differing hair types. I've seen ones with the poodle fur trait and ones (like mine) with wavy-flowing hair.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
My parent's dog is a cockapoo. He doesn't set off my allergic friends.

io4v7MGNUGKrJ.png

My parents trained him poorly, so he's kind of a terror sometimes, hehe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom