• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 4/7 - 4/13

Terrell

kpop100 said:
Just wondering your take on why the MH games have blown up on the PSP when it was originally a PS2 franchise, and the first few couple PSP versions were as you put it "neutered", with no real online play. PS2 user base was too small?
It's a matter of exposure. On PS2, you were competing next to TONS of quality software that was better pushed from a marketing standpoint. On PSP, less marketing is required, simply by virtue of the system having fewer peices of quality software. The first Portable title was a slow burn to 1 million, the second one built off its word-of-mouth (as did the console version it was derived from, for those so quick to discount it), and by this point, the franchise is THE reason to own a PSP.
Quality games are quality games, PSP just gave Capcom enough breathing room to make this franchise a hit in its own right because, simply put, almost nothing could compete with the game's quality and wasn't fighting to be a great game seen and heard among the vast hordes of great games that Capcom was competing for exposure with on PS2.

So it was just all about "right place, right time"... like most major franchise booms.

mutsu said:
Hm... Do you really think kids under 10 are interested in playing MMORPG, and their parents will pay for them monthly to let them play?
See: Pokemon Collectible Trading Card Game

Buying incessent booster packs for their children wasn't much different... you don't seem to know much about the horrors of "give the kid what he wants" parenting.

Superman00

Liverpool01
mutsu said:
Hm... Do you really think kids under 10 are interested in playing MMORPG, and their parents will pay for them monthly to let them play?

Uh, it doesn't need kids to be huge, pokemon is perfect for a MMORPG. Hell I'm 20 and I would play a pokemon MMORPG, and so would other young adults. I have friends that doesn't even play the pokemon games for handheld but he would play a pokemon MMORPG. WOW has proven that when done right, it would be huge. Also you underestimated the parents willingness to pay for the craps that the child wants.

Frillen

Rocksteady33 said:
Didn't Famistu report that Turok for 360 sold like ~3,000 units? So that means spot 28 is less than 4,000 units? What the hell is spot 50 at? Like 1,000? That's almost meaningless.

The titles sitting between #25-#35 usually sell around 6-8k while the titles around #50 usually sell between 3-5k. Also, Famitsu and m-create are two different trackers, so while Turok is #29 on the m-create chart, it could very well be way lower on the Famitsu chart.

Neomoto

MK DS at 15 whereas 10 in Famitsu? Great show for Monster Hunter and Mario Kart Wii.

It wouldn't "only" be a MMORPG.
It'll most likely be free to play online (with other means for paying for stuff)
Pokemon is the single biggest system seller in the industry. It probably beats even Mario as a whole.

In my opinion, if done right it could be enormous. It would also attract a lot more people than the "normal fanbase" that buys the latest handheld main games. But I think they would need to have a bigger installed base (also shortages would hurt short term sales) and/or a far lower pricepoint for the console than it is now. There are downsides, development would also be enormous and could possible hurt handheld entries since the console version would be far superior, sequals would be far in between).

mutsu

Haha ok... the argument is getting ridiculous. This is why I haven't been posting in sales threads now for a while.

Anyway, for those who thinks that Monster Hunter 3 will outsell any Monster Hunter PSP entries in Japan, think again. I will bet permanban that it will not happen.

Anyway, that's it from me for this week in this thread.

RpgN

I bet capcom will port MH3 on the psp once the wii version is out. They have found their market for this franchise and capcom is capcom afterall.

Good numbers for MK. SO2 is a little disappointing though.

Epiphyte

RpgN said:
I bet capcom will port MH3 on the psp once the wii version is out. They have found their market for this franchise and capcom is capcom afterall.

Good numbers for MK. SO2 is a little disappointing though.
I'm sure they will if they can

After the Capcom 5 debacle, I would think Nintendo would have tried to wrap shit up tight when they moneyhatted MH3.

jarrod

Banned
Attributing Monster Hunter's success to it's platform sort of misses the point. I mean we're talking PSP here, the machine where games can expect to sell about half to a third what they would on PS2... MHP's a massive success despite it's platform, not due to it.

It also sort of ignores the series timeline to so easily write off the PS2 releases. Truth is, MH2 and MHP released within two months of each other and sold about 100k different. Looking at releases you can chart an overall series momentum more than some sort of immediate handheld increase. And we haven't even seen a console MH since then (over 2 years ago), there's really no telling how well a console MH3 might do today.

I do look forward to the epic MH3 vs FFXIII battle in 2009 though. ;)

Mefisutoferesu said:
Maybe PSP users are more discerning/knowledgeable, much like GC/Xbox users were when PS2 was king, so they shy away from the shovelware type games... as far as I recall, big name titles have sold pretty well on the PSP. FF7CC, MH, MGS, RR, so on... maybe, not? Any sales agers wanna correct me?
RR really only sold due to launch rush, the sequel tanked harder than RR6 on 360 even. This went for a lot of PSP launch title sequels actually (Musou Portable, MG AC!D, Puyo 15th, etc).

kswiston

Epiphyte said:
I'm sure they will if they can

After the Capcom 5 debacle, I would think Nintendo would have tried to wrap shit up tight when they moneyhatted MH3.

I don't think that Capcom was unaware of how well the MHP games sell when they announced Monster Hunter 3 moving to the Wii. That was after MHP2 was released no? It makes no sense that they would give away the rights to make guarenteed 1M+ selling games on the PSP for not-so-guarenteed sales on the Wii.

Likely, Capcom wasn't even money-hatted. They just realized that 1) PS3 is expensive to develop for, 2) PS3 (and 360) games sell like shit in Japan compared to previous sony console games, and 3) Monster Hunter has sold like shit outside Japan where PS3/360 games actually find decent success. Looking at these three factors, it just makes sense to shift the game to the Wii, which is cheaper to develop for and has twice the userbase of both other consoles combined in Japan.

botticus

kswiston said:
I don't think that Capcom was unaware of how well the MHP games sell when they announced Monster Hunter 3 moving to the Wii. That was after MHP2 was released no? It makes no sense that they would give away the rights to make guarenteed 1M+ selling games on the PSP for not-so-guarenteed sales on the Wii.

Likely, Capcom wasn't even money-hatted. They just realized that 1) PS3 is expensive to develop for, 2) PS3 (and 360) games sell like shit in Japan compared to previous sony console games, and 3) Monster Hunter has sold like shit outside Japan where PS3/360 games actually find decent success. Looking at these three factors, it just makes sense to shift the game to the Wii, which is cheaper to develop for and has twice the userbase of both other consoles combined in Japan.
I'm pretty sure Nintendo didn't lock up the Monster Hunter franchise. I think everyone can bank on a Monster Hunter Portable 3.

jts

...hate me...
botticus said:
I'm pretty sure Nintendo didn't lock up the Monster Hunter franchise. I think everyone can bank on a Monster Hunter Portable 3.
Yes. Launch title of the DS2 :D

jts

...hate me...
I remember when i was a kid and saw Mario Paint's big box, it was... irresistible :Q_

Brofist

Terrell said:
It's a matter of exposure. On PS2, you were competing next to TONS of quality software that was better pushed from a marketing standpoint. On PSP, less marketing is required, simply by virtue of the system having fewer peices of quality software. The first Portable title was a slow burn to 1 million, the second one built off its word-of-mouth (as did the console version it was derived from, for those so quick to discount it), and by this point, the franchise is THE reason to own a PSP.
Quality games are quality games, PSP just gave Capcom enough breathing room to make this franchise a hit in its own right because, simply put, almost nothing could compete with the game's quality and wasn't fighting to be a great game seen and heard among the vast hordes of great games that Capcom was competing for exposure with on PS2.

So it was just all about "right place, right time"... like most major franchise booms.

See: Pokemon Collectible Trading Card Game

Buying incessent booster packs for their children wasn't much different... you don't seem to know much about the horrors of "give the kid what he wants" parenting.

I knew you'd pull out the right place at the right time argument :D

I don't buy it though. It really does to me seem like a portable gaming phenomena. My feeling is it won't be as popular on Wii, but it probably will clear a mil.

Hell it's just anecdotal, but I haven't ever seen a game with groups of people randomly playing together in public. I was at Wendys today and a group of middle age salarymen were playing MH with each other. Now that's saying something.

RpgN

kpop100 said:
I knew you'd pull out the right place at the right time argument :D

I don't buy it though. It really does to me seem like a portable gaming phenomena. My feeling is it won't be as popular on Wii, but it probably will clear a mil.

Hell it's just anecdotal, but I haven't ever seen a game with groups of people randomly playing together in public. I was at Wendys today and a group of middle age salarymen were playing MH with each other. Now that's saying something.

But you know, he does have a point. While I love psp games, they can't be compared with ps2 games and there are too few AAA games. MH games were easy to get noticed on the psp, plus the fact its gameplay is perfect for a portable handheld. Even if MH3 where to be released on ps2, it has to compete with many quality games. On the wii I'm not sure...the name is huge now and there aren't many great third party games, but I'm not sure if wii players will embrace it. Perhaps an online mode might help.

bycha said:
Monster Hunter 3 (Wii) will pull Final Fantasy numbers?
There are enough Final Fantasy games that I'm sure it will be near one of them.
jarrod said:
It also sort of ignores the series timeline to so easily write off the PS2 releases. Truth is, MH2 and MHP released within two months of each other and sold about 100k different. Looking at releases you can chart an overall series momentum more than some sort of immediate handheld increase. And we haven't even seen a console MH since then (over 2 years ago), there's really no telling how well a console MH3 might do today.
Just want to toss in an "I agree." We look at Monster Hunter 2's sales as tiny compared to what recent releases have done, but when it hit 500K it was within 14K of being the highest-selling Monster Hunter yet. Monster Hunter Freedom seems to have ramped off of Monster Hunter 2.

Ceres

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
There are enough Final Fantasy games that I'm sure it will be near one of them.

Also unlike FF, MH doesn't seem to have any major impact outside of Japan (granted this is a MC thread so that's what the focus is on).

gconsole

Man. Capcom must be the most stupid company in the world if they just move MH3 to Wii and not release PSP version at all :lol

I mean, how could you guys even think that Capcom move the series to Wii as exclusive thing? The sale on handheld version prove itself. Actually the main reason why they move MH3 from PS3 to Wii are because of the bigger userbases and the easiness when you port the game to handheld version. Just like PS2 to PSP. The nearly same amount of polygon, texture, etc. Capcom might even have the emulator for porting stuff already.

The main asset from MH2 PS2 -> MHP2 -> MHP2G. How much money do they make only from the 2nd game in the series? With very small budget compare to the sale. Wow!

Things looking good for PS3 once again.

Enterbrain mentioned that retailers have ordered less than 100k copies of Senjou no Valkyrie. Adding this to the fact that there are no PS3 releases in 4 out of 5 of the following weeks, PS3 is on track to beat last year record numbers.

Kyoufu

gconsole said:
Man. Capcom must be the most stupid company in the world if they just move MH3 to Wii and not release PSP version at all :lol

I mean, how could you guys even think that Capcom move the series to Wii as exclusive thing? The sale on handheld version prove itself. Actually the main reason why they move MH3 from PS3 to Wii are because of the bigger userbases and the easiness when you port the game to handheld version. Just like PS2 to PSP. The nearly same amount of polygon, texture, etc. Capcom might even have the emulator for porting stuff already.

The main asset from MH2 PS2 -> MHP2 -> MHP2G. How much money do they make only from the 2nd game in the series? With very small budget compare to the sale. Wow!

What? They didn't move the series exclusively to Wii. There will still be an MHP3rd for PSP.

Ceres

Banned
gconsole said:

Is anyone suggesting there will never be another handheld version? The console version is Wii exclusive. A game has been announced for the PSP but who knows what will happen in the future if the Wii version does well at all (meaning they may switch to the DS/2). If anything, for a game that seems to be doing the best on the handhelds, Capcom showed how smart they were by switching from the PS3 to Wii as it will likely be a game that would never need the graphic capabilities of the PS3.

Minsc

Gold Member
Kurosaki Ichigo said:

Enterbrain mentioned that retailers have ordered less than 100k copies of Senjou no Valkyrie. Adding this to the fact that there are no PS3 releases in 4 out of 5 of the following weeks, PS3 is on track to beat last year record numbers.

Wow. They're really going to fall well under even my non-existent expectations soon of ~10K/week with a strong line-up like that.

gconsole

It's because of someone post that made me feel like that. Like 'oh i'm sure Capcom will release PSP version after Wii' bla bla bla. I mean, do you even need to say that? Do you even need to be sure that Capcom will port the game to PSP?

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
mutsu said:
Haha ok... the argument is getting ridiculous. This is why I haven't been posting in sales threads now for a while.

Anyway, for those who thinks that Monster Hunter 3 will outsell any Monster Hunter PSP entries in Japan, think again. I will bet permanban that it will not happen.

Anyway, that's it from me for this week in this thread.
Saved for future reference.

It's a bit silly to be betting things against the Wii. We all know how unpredictable it can be.

Brofist

RpgN said:
But you know, he does have a point. While I love psp games, they can't be compared with ps2 games and there are too few AAA games. MH games were easy to get noticed on the psp, plus the fact its gameplay is perfect for a portable handheld. Even if MH3 where to be released on ps2, it has to compete with many quality games. On the wii I'm not sure...the name is huge now and there aren't many great third party games, but I'm not sure if wii players will embrace it. Perhaps an online mode might help.

So people are more likely to discover a game on a system they didn't care about/own? (at the time MH first became a hit on PSP)

Let's try to picture this. Japanese game buyer goes to store:

"Hey look it's MH for the PSP, isn't that the game I passed up buying on the PS2..hey I know, instead of buying the PS2 version for the system I own, let me buy a new PSP and and the PSP version of it. Cause lawd knows I already own too damn many good games for the PS2 and it would just get lost in the mix of my awesome PS2 collection, and I have this extra 20,000 yen that needs to be spent"

does that sound about right?

Or more like the core MH audience (read hardcore fans), all picked it up on the PSP and discovered it's a game they would rather play on the go.

gtj1092

kpop100 said:
So people are more likely to discover a game on a system they didn't care about/own? (at the time MH first became a hit on PSP)

Let's try to picture this. Japanese game buyer goes to store:

"Hey look it's MH for the PSP, isn't that the game I passed up buying on the PS2..hey I know, instead of buying the PS2 version for the system I own, let me buy a new PSP and and the PSP version of it. Cause lawd knows I already own too damn many good games for the PS2 and it would just get lost in the mix of my awesome PS2 collection, and I have this extra 20,000 yen that needs to be spent"

does that sound about right?

Or more like the core MH audience (read hardcore fans), all picked it up on the PSP and discovered it's a game they would rather play on the go.

:lol :lol :lol

Too perfect.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Re: Monster Hunter 3

I definitely agree that it won't do PSP numbers, but I do think there is a chance it could do better than the PS2 versions, because though its seen as a portable series, I really believe that some of the gamers who have gone batshit insane for the series might just pick up MH3 to have something new to play- they might not be patient enough to wait for the inevitable PSP port.

Jokeropia

Mefisutoferesu said:
Also, if you look at DS's sales, it runs along the same lines, long existing, well known series continue to sell the best on the platform (putting aside the touch generation phenomenon) and of course then the user base scale kicks in and we see small no name games get a small hit every now and then.
DS software sales advantage goes well beyond simply the larger userbase (it's tie-ratio is almost twice that of PSP) and is not in any way comparable in this respect.

RpgN

kpop100 said:

We are not talking about ps2 gamers but psp gamers unaware what's available for the psp. And did I mention its gameplay is perfect for a portable handheld too? BTW it's not like that. It's more how MH has to compete with many titles that are better. Gamers don't have the money to buy every game available. On the psp it gets more noticed and gamers have less choice. Get it?

Link1110

schuelma said:
Re: Monster Hunter 3

I definitely agree that it won't do PSP numbers, but I do think there is a chance it could do better than the PS2 versions, because though its seen as a portable series, I really believe that some of the gamers who have gone batshit insane for the series might just pick up MH3 to have something new to play- they might not be patient enough to wait for the inevitable PSP port.
It's a Capcom game and a modified version of part 2 just sold over a million copies. Who says part 3 is coming out anytime soon? :D

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Kurosaki Ichigo said:

How is that good news?

:/

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
gconsole said:
It's because of someone post that made me feel like that. Like 'oh i'm sure Capcom will release PSP version after Wii' bla bla bla. I mean, do you even need to say that? Do you even need to be sure that Capcom will port the game to PSP?

Nice avatar, but You might want to re size your avatar there.

Top Bottom