• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ME3, NG3:RE, Batman, EM2, WO3, BLOPS2, Darksiders 2 have technical issues on Wii U

""We're very conscious of not wanting to mess up," Straight Right boss Tom Crago explained to Eurogamer, "given the level of expectation and the fact that we're taking something which, on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 and PC, was exceptionally good."

"You look at the game and think 'how could I possibly make this better?'"

Yeah, I wouldn't have ever put much stock in anything those guys said.

DonMigs85

You know I already gave a real answer.

Yup. Anyway I suspect the CPU might be the main culprit, they probably didn't have enough time or just didn't care to optimize their code for it. Maybe it's a near-straight port of the 360 code, which is optimized for an in-order CPU.

"Nintendo's next console is truly transformational as well. A better platform than we've ever been offered by Nintendo. Deeper online capability, and all of it driven by an unprecedented partnership between Nintendo and Electronic Arts."

riccitiello_ea_pachter_580.jpg

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
It really is. The Wii U has more powerful hardware so there's no logical reason the 360 version would run better.

Reportedly a weaker CPU, which may not tolerate/enable fast porting. A single component can bottleneck a game.

Fox Mulder

Yep.

Don't buy launch-window EA games.

Fixed.

Their launch games have been shitty before, so it's not like a new thing. Mass Effect was a giant disappointment as well. I bailed on it after 2.

It does seem that EA is be pretty cold blooded with the WiiU after it was reported that they wanted Origin to have a huge role.

Rapstah

""We're very conscious of not wanting to mess up," Straight Right boss Tom Crago explained to Eurogamer, "given the level of expectation and the fact that we're taking something which, on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 and PC, was exceptionally good."

"You look at the game and think 'how could I possibly make this better?'"

Yeah, I wouldn't have ever put much stock in anything those guys said.
To be fair, it looks like the gamepad stuff they added is in fact a positive for the game, if not the only discrete positive compared to other versions. The rest is not as entirely their fault, but probably their responsibility.

StevieP

Banned
Yup. Anyway I suspect the CPU might be the main culprit, they probably didn't have enough time or just didn't care to optimize their code for it. Maybe it's a near-straight port of the 360 code, which is optimized for an in-order CPU.

Eh it's not in-order that would cock it up. The 360's/PS3's CPU will likely have an easier time with floating point than any of the next gen CPUs (since they're all likely going to be based on low-power/low-wattage CPUs more in tune for general purpose code).

GPU was where you'd go in that case, but it's not some switch that you just flick or anything. Considering that link says they're working on 1 other original IP and a port of another "big 2013 title you've heard of" for Wii U, you'd hope they'd get to grips with the system by the time those come out.

wsippel - do you know if the UE3 Wii port is utilizing the DSP at all? From the mentioned "audio issues" in the OP, it doesn't seem like that's being offloaded as it should either.

TheGreatDivide said:
I thought this thing was gonna have no trouble handling down ports from PS4 and 720? Not looking good if it can't even handle a last gen game.

Read the CPU comments above. The Wii U, unlike the Wii, can handle the same engines and such for the most part. The machine is *capable* of receiving ports. Doesn't mean it won't take downgrading and work by a developer to do so. The onus is on the publishers. EA doesn't really seem to give a damn at the moment.

antonz

Iwata should just man up and tell EA. Play your role properly or stay the fuck off Nintendo hardware. Nintendo has nothing to lose if EA is gonna be manbaby and half ass shit

Nibel

I thought this thing was gonna have no trouble handling down ports from PS4 and 720? Not looking good if it can't even handle a last gen game.

If you think that this might be the issue then you don't understand anything

This isn't about the Wii U being capable to run a current-gen game - it's about a company who could have make it run like butter just not giving a fuck

but i really wanted straight right to succeed. =(

Well, my fellow Melbournians, I just want you to get your internally developed and SE title perfect~ All will be very much forgiven and all scorn directed at EA.

Much love.

Margalis

Banned
It really does seem like this game is purposely designed to fail so that EA can say "see games on this system don't sell!" the same way they did with Dead Space Extraction. The fact that they announced the ME trilogy with the timing they did appears to clearly indicate they actively want this to bomb.

EA has been half-assing Nintendo products since Madden on SNES lol.

This isn't about the Wii U being capable to run a current-gen game - it's about a company who could have make it run like butter just not giving a fuck

If the system was more powerful than 360 and PS3 by any significant margin, why is this an issue? I don't remember 360 struggling to play Xbox ports.

tkscz

Both EA sports games are ports of the previous versions with updated logos, and ME3 has technically issues and is way more expensive. It's pretty obvious EA wants to fail on the Wii U, so you know what? Let'em. I'd rather they fail now than succeed and try and bog us down with more of this shit.

Durante

I love the conspiracy theories in this thread. Yeah, I'm sure they introduced technical issues on purpose.

Honest question: is there any current gen AAA port left that is actually confirmed to run or look better?

If the system was more powerful than 360 and PS3 by any significant margin, why is this an issue? I don't remember 360 struggling to play Xbox ports.
Well, the answer is obvious. It's clearly not more powerful than PS360 in at least one aspect relevant to porting.

AzaK

Reportedly a weaker CPU, which may not tolerate/enable fast porting. A single component can bottleneck a game.

Don't fucking start this all over again.

The only 2 entities responsible for this are the developers and the publisher.

Eusis

Dreamcasting by stealth EA?
Don't think weak EA support on Wii U will mean as much now as no EA support on Dreamcast did. Especially if CoD keeps showing up.

Though more of Nintendo's franchises are mainstream successes than Sega's, which helps a lot.

More likely they weren't given the time, budget and/or required support from Bioware for the title to be successful. The blame for this isn't necessarily on the developer. Not that Straight Right has a stellar pedigree or anything.

guek

Banned
Hey I hear PS3 can't properly handle BLOPS2. That's what it gets for being a sub-par system that can't even match hardware that came out a whole year before it did. How embarrassing for Sony, mirite? And they had the gall to charge $599 USD at launch when it's clearly far and away inferior to the 360? WTF!

Iwata should just man up and tell EA. Play your role properly or stay the fuck off Nintendo hardware. Nintendo has nothing to lose if EA is gonna be manbaby and half ass shit

As nice as the sentiment would be, even a terribad port of a game is better than not having the game at all, as far as selling systems and getting more support from other companies.

Ideally, we'd get BETTER ports, but EA would probably sooner "Dreamcast" Wii U if they felt the market would be okay with it before they would "man up" and treat it like a big boy,

Hey I hear PS3 can't properly handle BLOPS2. That's what it gets for being a sub-par system that can't even match hardware that came out a whole year before it did. How embarrassing for Sony, mirite? And they had the gall to charge $599 USD at launch when it's clearly far and away inferior to the 360? WTF!

There's probably a fallacy or two somewhere in this joke/argument, but I smiled anyway.

Neo C.

It's always funny to see big professional companies acting immature. Ubisoft and Acti do a better job, so there isn't any excuse for EA.

With 1GB of RAM... Unreal Engine 3 is choppier on Wii U?

What... The... Fuck?

For the first 2 years it will be like this way. EA/ Acti/ Ubi just do not give two fucks about Wii U and make some junior programmers to port the whole game without taking advantage of Wii U's better than 360 architecture.

Better prepare for hack port jobs, Wii U owners.

Nibel

Wait

So you compare the backwards compatibility of the 360 to the ability of Wii U to play current gen games because EA just don't give a shit to invest much into the new platform? Do you really think that the 360's ability to run Xbox games (because it's from the same company) is the same thing like the Wii U being able to run 360 games?

THIS JUST DOESN'T MAKE ANY FUCKING SENSE

MormaPope

Banned
I love the conspiracy theories in this thread. Yeah, I'm sure they introduced technical issues on purpose.

Honest question: is there any current gen AAA port left that is actually confirmed to run or look better?

Well, the answer is obvious. It's clearly not more powerful than PS360 in at least one aspect relevant to porting.

As nice as the sentiment would be, even a terribad port of a game is better than not having the game at all, as far as selling systems and getting more support from other companies.

Ideally, we'd get BETTER ports, but EA would probably sooner "Dreamcast" Wii U if they felt the market would be okay with it before they would "man up" and treat it like a big boy,

Thing is, we have plenty of other core multi platform titles to choose from at launch to show this stuff sells. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to support this garbage.

AniHawk

Wait

So you compare the backwards compatibility of the 360 to the ability of Wii U to play current gen games because EA just don't give a shit to invest much into the new platform? Do you really think that the 360's ability to run Xbox games (because it's from the same company) is the same thing like the Wii U being able to run 360 games?

no he means xbox ports, like gun, or perfect dark zero.

Durante

Don't fucking start this all over again.

The only 2 entities responsible for this are the developers and the publisher.
No. If the Wii U was unquestionably faster than PS360 in all aspects (as was the case in previous generational transitions -- except for Wii) then this wouldn't be happening.

What he's saying makes perfect sense, your rage is preventing you from reading correctly. He's talking about ports, not backwards compatibility.

sorry of this has been talked about, but have ea said why they aren't releasing the trilogy on the wii u like they are on the playstation 3?

it's an odd decision by ea not to release the trilogy on wii u, what better way to introduce new players to the series and universe?

guek

Banned
There's probably a fallacy or two somewhere in this joke/argument, but I smiled anyway.

Oh man, you don't know the half of it. I was playing GoW collection the other day and that framerate was stuttering MAD crazy. I mean, who would of thought Sony would put out sub-PS2 hardware for its successor? Sure was a bold move.

Top Bottom