• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor - Saturday August 26th |OT| FOOK / YEAAAH

Super excited. I think Floyd is going to fuck McGregor up, Arturo Gatti style. I hope I'm 100% wrong tho, and Conor somehow knocks Floyd out. This going to be a fun fight.

Sucks that Cotto vs Kamegai is that night. That fight should be a slug fest.

TuXx

"Conor's bigger than Floyd. He's gonna give him a style he's never seen before. He has that one punch knockout power."

*Fight happens* *Floyd beats him easy*

"Boxing sucks, this is why I don't watch it, MMA is better, this is why boxing is dead."

Tom_Cody

tenor.gif

I don't know dude....
Fucking lol.

The correct bet is to bet on a draw, as all these two care about is money, and if that happens they can double their bank account this time next year.

ApharmdX

Banned
Connor is a fraud and has a .0000000000000001% of winning. The odds on the fight are a joke. Free money.

Connor isn't a fraud in his own sport. The guy held two UFC belts. He's one of the better strikers in MMA and he's tough.

But this ain't his sport.

Mayweather RD 4 TKO.

Connor is going to get worked, bad. And Mayweather cruises in the all-time greats list with his perfect 50-0 record. Both fighters laugh all the way to the bank.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
It's not that people haven't thought about it, they just do what their best at. People who train their lives to box best shot is to go in and box, so that's what floyd has seen. Conor is going to be doing things like switching to traditional karate stances and back throughout the fight. I'm sure you'll see a lot of lunging in out with some body to body collisions.

I'm not saying floyd will be confused and out of his element, just that Conor is smart and knows he's not going to beat Floyd at pure boxing and is going to try and come in and give him something he's not prepared for more so than any boxing opponent floyd has faced.

That's my point. Its a boxing match. "pure boxing" is all you can do. Its not like he can throw elbows or put him into a headlock and a "karate" stance isn't going to confuse someone like Floyd.

I just have THIS FEELING that something crazy is gonna happen, same feeling I had before the Aldo fight!!

Super stoked for this, if just for the hype and atmosphere. Definitely going somewhere crowded for this one

I know nothing about either of these sports but isnt Mayweather one of the best at his sport? And McGregor doesn't even box professionally. What are people expecting? Unless everyone knows McGregor will lose and just wants to watch for fun.
You, sir or madam, need a hype video.
As someone who isn't a fan of boxing or MMA, I am really damm excited for this.
And one for you.
Super excited. I think Floyd is going to fuck McGregor up, Arturo Gatti style. I hope I'm 100% wrong tho, and Conor somehow knocks Floyd out. This going to be a fun fight.

Sucks that Cotto vs Kamegai is that night. That fight should be a slug fest.
And another.
I just have THIS FEELING that something crazy is gonna happen, same feeling I had before the Aldo fight!!

Super stoked for this, if just for the hype and atmosphere. Definitely going somewhere crowded for this one
And a longer one for you.

Why do MMA fighters throw their punches so wide? That shits not going to fly in the squared circle.

To set up kicks or takedowns or to defend against takedowns, to initiate the clinch for elbows and knees or perhaps to bait a counter for a counter of their own which could be a knee, elbow, takedown or a punch. There many reasons why stuff that wouldn't necessarily work in high level bouts work in MMA. There are many more variables. There is no defending against all of them.

UFC fighters will not be world class, but the sport is called MMA for a reason. Sure, they won't be capable of winning titles, but don't mistake that for an inability to box. They can box. Some of them are actually very good boxers that could have pursued it as a full time career, a fair few actually did, the most obvious example of this being Holly Holm.

Sucks being still in Europe, wish I was back home to catch the fight, now have to somehow watch it at 5am lol and Ill prob get shit faced on Saturday so will prob be passed out when it happens 😑

Tubie

This is gonna be one of the easiest fights in Floyds career.

Still not sure if I wanna pay $100 for it, maybe just to see how badly Conor embarrasses himself. And I don't blame him for doing this fight, he lucked out big time since he's getting a ton of money just for looking like a clown out there.

pixelation

I smell an upset in the air... smells like Mayweather gets KO'd while fighting in a style unlike the one he is known for (in order to please the crowd) and hits the canvas in the beginning rounds. Out cold... Pac like cold.

KingV

To set up kicks or takedowns or to defend against takedowns, to initiate the clinch for elbows and knees or perhaps to bait a counter for a counter of their own which could be a knee, elbow, takedown or a punch. There many reasons why stuff that wouldn't necessarily work in high level bouts work in MMA. There are many more variables. There is no defending against all of them.

UFC fighters will not be world class, but the sport is called MMA for a reason. Sure, they won't be capable of winning titles, but don't mistake that for an inability to box. They can box. Some of them are actually very good boxers that could have pursued it as a full time career, a fair few actually did, the most obvious example of this being Holly Holm.

I'm sure most UFC fighters, even scrubs, would be the best boxer at your barbecue or in your neighborhood. It just won't translate to being able to compete at the highest levels of the sport. I'm sure most professional athletes are probably better than average at most sports because their Athleticism will help make up for lack of specialty skill. But it won't allow them to compete at the highest level of a sport.

Similarly, if you took Floyd and put him in an MMA match against a competent opponent, he would likely lose handily. They're different sports. I'm sure Floyd could beat most of GAF in an MMA match, and McGregor could probably beat most of GAF in a boxing match. The ring experience and general fitness levels will almost assure that, but I wouldn't expect either to be able to compete at the top level of the other sport with 6 months of training.

Has McGregor shown any semblance of the footwork necessary to be a boxer? That should be the biggest warning right there. His stance is wide and stationary. Then you compound it by seeing how wide and reckless his punches are compared to a professional boxer.

Syder

Has McGregor shown any semblance of the footwork necessary to be a boxer? That should be the biggest warning right there. His stance is wide and stationary. Then you compound it by seeing how wide and reckless his punches are compared to a professional boxer.
When McGregor was twelve years old, he began boxing at Crumlin Boxing Club under two-time Olympian Phil Sutcliffe. It was here where he laid the foundations to his striking ability, training with fighters such as Dean Byrne and Jamie Kavanagh, both of whom went on to train at Wild Card Gym under Freddie Roach. Kavanagh recalls McGregor as "a game kind of boxer. He was very game. He loved to fight. But he was also very strong - he could seriously bang." McGregor would eventually become an All-Ireland champion at youth level, but his attention began to turn towards other martial arts when he was about sixteen. Despite this, and his family moving to West Dublin, McGregor continued boxing. He has regularly sparred at Celtic Warrior Gym, Blanchardstown, which has been home to boxers such as Gary O'Sullivan and Frank Buglioni. Head coach Packie Collins, brother of Steve, commented "he comes down here and he can hold his own with world champions." He continued "I won’t name names but, the last time he was up here a very good boxer of ours couldn’t make head nor tail of what Conor was doing. He has what appears like a kind of chopping movement when he strikes and he doesn’t use a traditional stance, so this guy just couldn’t time him at all."
So, not really, he's a good amateur boxer, at best, going up against the GOAT.

Donthizz#

Conor is not going to Box. he's going clinch and tire out Floyd. at least that's what I think he's going to do. maybe some legs sweeps too mixed with some sneaky elbows.

Conor is not going to Box. he's going clinch and tire out Floyd. at least that's what I think he's going to do. maybe some legs sweeps too mixed with some sneaky elbows.

My favourite boxing technique is the roundhouse kick.

Although, a good triangle submission is always so satisfying to watch. Sugar Ray had a mean triangle.

Haunted

Finally, unbiased analysis by a true boxing expert.
quotes by McGregor's MMA coach John Kavanagh

on how the fight is going to progress
When the two of them walk to the middle, one of them has to take a back step. If Floyd takes a back step, which I believe he will, then I predict round six. That's my prediction on it. I think for the first five rounds, he will back up, he will lie on the ropes the way he does, he will cover up and try to just absorb, and try to wear Conor down. That's how I think he'll approach the fight.

If he doesn't take a back step, and we'll all see it — we'll all see their feet, we'll all see who walks backwards — if he walks forward and exchanges, it'll be a one-round fight. It'll be over in a minute. Because he'd be fighting in such a way that's not normal to him, he won't have had time to develop the skillset for an aggressive exchanging fighter. Like I said, I didn't know a lot about Floyd before this, but I did watch his fights for his defensive work. So for him to go in there and try to trade with Conor and not walk backwards, would be so alien to him but so normal for Conor — that's exactly what Conor's the best at — he'll be unconscious in a minute.

But I think he skips to the middle, I think he has his classic hand position, Philly Shell hand position, and he'll feint and throw a jab or something, Conor will walk forward, [Mayweather will] back up, and he'll aim to just pot-shot, cover up, cover up, pot-shot, clinch, pot-shot, and just try to get through the first couple of rounds. As I believe that will be the case, that will be the scenario, I think round six, Conor's hand is raised.

on gloves
It is twice the weight of the UFC glove, but it's half the weight of the sparring glove. It's a much smaller glove, I actually just saw the gloves the other day that he'd be wearing — and I raised an eyebrow, let's put it that way. They're small, fast gloves. They will fit in the cracks that even the 10-ounce wouldn't get into. It's made me that bit more excited.

on the weight difference
At 147 pounds, [Mayweather] does (traditionally) wear that size glove. I just don't know if he's used to fighting guys that do big weight cuts. That doesn't seem to be as big a thing in boxing. Mayweather seems to pretty much be at walking weight at 150, 151, something like that. Conor's about 170, so it's a big, big difference.

weekev

Banned
Finally, unbiased analysis by a true boxing expert.
quotes by McGregor's MMA coach John Kavanagh

on how the fight is going to progress

on gloves

on the weight difference
Pretty niaive thinking Floyd is gonna be on the defensive. He will come out and land a few big shots to make Conor think twice about advancing then totally dominate and control the fight from there. I'm not sure if he will then just continue to land blow after blow before thinking about a knockout in around the 6th or 7th round.

Tekniqs

this dude really think Floyd's gonna rope-a-dope Mcgregor? Mc's corner is gonna be in for a surprise when after a few rounds Floyd's actually walking down Mcgregor...hopefully it becomes a phone booth fight. Floyd's amazing at fighting in the pocket.

so he studied Floyd but doesn't know that Floyd doesn't use the 'shell' stance that much against southpaws....

Floyd's fought the vast majority of his fights in 8oz gloves....

weight won't be a factor...Skills pay the bills...plus Conor's never been the type to lay against someone up along the cage/canvas to wear them out with his weight anyhow.

Pretty niaive thinking Floyd is gonna be on the defensive. He will come out and land a few big shots to make Conor think twice about advancing then totally dominate and control the fight from there. I'm not sure if he will then just continue to land blow after blow before thinking about a knockout in around the 6th or 7th round.

I think a TKO is more likely. Either the ref stops the fight or his corner will. Wouldn't be shocked if Conor goes to sleep tho.

this dude really think Floyd's gonna rope-a-dope Mcgregor? Mc's corner is gonna be in for a surprise when after a few rounds Floyd's actually walking down Mcgregor...hopefully it becomes a phone booth fight. Floyd's amazing at fighting in the pocket.

so he studied Floyd but doesn't know that Floyd doesn't use the 'shell' stance that much against southpaws....

Floyd's fought the vast majority of his fights in 8oz gloves....

weight won't be a factor...Skills pay the bills...plus Conor's never been the type to lay against someone up along the cage/canvas to wear them out with his weight anyhow.

I think a TKO is more likely. Either the ref stops the fight or his corner will. Wouldn't be shocked if Conor goes to sleep tho.

Damn good post and I agree.

Top Bottom