• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolph Lundgren is doing a training montage to prepare for Creed 2

What about Creed's depiction makes you think he is interested in revenge?

Because it is Rocky. Rocky IV is the best movie of the series and I would like to see Creed 2 to be more like Rocky IV. I am excited to see Lundgren back as he can do no wrong.

I mean, that really is about it.

http://www.imdb.com/event/ev0000003/1977

It won in 1977. It released in 1976.

It won for Best Picture of 1976. Because that's the year it released and it was competing against other films in that year.

It didn't win Best Picture of 1977 because it wasn't released that year.

Again: This isn't "lore," nor do you need to be any sort of "expert" to know this. As you've just proved, all you need to do is type the words "Rocky" into a search window.

Stallone didn't direct Rocky. That was John Avildsen. Stallone directed II, III, IV, and Balboa. Of those four, Balboa is the best as a film. Creed is a better film than Balboa by a pretty easy distance in almost every metric you can think of. Creed also features a better old man Rocky than the one in Balboa.

Because it is Rocky.

It's not Rocky. Rocky was Rocky - Rocky Balboa.

It's Creed and Adonis' path had no tinge of wanting revenge or whatever. He never even asked Rocky a single question about Ivan Drago.

I think the reason for that is, Coogler wanted to steer clear of that 1985 goofiness.

He made the correct choice.

In terms of pure popcorn entertainment and escapism, Rocky 3 and 4 are the most fun out of all the films. Hell, even Rocky Balboa comes close.

MC Safety

It won for Best Picture of 1976. Because that's the year it released and it was competing against other films in that year.

That doesn't make Creed a better movie than either Rocky or Rocky Balboa. In fact, I don't think it makes it a better movie than Rocky II.

The best Rocky films are character studies about a man who boxes. Creed falls roughly in the middle of the best of the Rocky films and the dregs, which are more focused on the sport of boxing, the buildup and confrontation between two fighters.

That doesn't make Creed a better movie than either Rocky or Rocky Balboa.

We've already established that you don't know what the fuck you're talking about though. Like, that was your whole point.

You thought Rocky won Best Picture for 1977
You thought Stallone directed Rocky
The statement that you were challenging was that Coogler hasn't made a Rocky movie better than Stallone has. He did. You went to Rocky to disprove that without realizing that Rocky wasn't a Stallone movie. It's an Avildsen movie.

Creed is a better movie than Balboa. I happen to think it's also a better movie than the first Rocky, but I also recognize that's much more debatable than whether it's better than Balboa, but then again, I didn't even have to broach that topic because you limited the scope of the comparison to films STALLONE directed.

In which case Coogler's got that one in the bag.

Coogler's a better director than Stallone, period. Better writer, too.

He's better at this than Sly is. Or was.

The best Rocky films are character studies about a man who boxes.

So yeah. Rocky and Rocky Balboa.

And Creed.

If that's the metric you wanna weigh the Rocky series on, then I don't even understand what the fuck we're doing even contemplating making direct continuations of the Russia storyline from Rocky IV. That movie is like the antithesis of your stated goal for a Rocky film.

IV is an incoherent jingoistic fucking mess.

It's not Rocky. Rocky was Rocky - Rocky Balboa.

It's Creed and Adonis' path had no tinge of wanting revenge or whatever. He never even asked Rocky a single question about Ivan Drago.

I think the reason for that is, Coogler wanted to steer clear of that 1985 goofiness.

He made the correct choice.

which is fair and nothing wrong with that, I however, want a Rocky IV-2

Still has the best soundtrack:
-- Hearts on Fire
-- Burning Heart
-- No Easy Way Out
-- Living in America
-- Eye of the Tiger

That's a full card, right there.

so fucking good

Rocky 4 aged like milk.

Milk doesn't get better with age tho.

And again, so far as I've heard - Stallone doesn't even have permission or rights to be pursuing this like he's doing. I don't think WB commissioned a script, nor have they put Stallone in control of any creative decision making.

He's just writing shit and calling friends and telling the press/instagramming stuff as he finishes it.

He's essentially, so far as I understand, volunteering his time, pro bono, on spec, and making a spectacle out of it.

If Rocky IV and Creed were both on TV and I had to leave one on in the background, it would be Rocky IV.

Well yeah. The one you don't want to actually watch would be the one you choose in that situation.

inm8num2

I'd rather have Kindergarten Cop 3.

I loved Creed and really hoped there would be at least one sequel. The first movie set up Wheeler to be the next opponent, then maybe Conlon to get out of prison and have a rematch with Donnie in the third. Dolph is the man but, without Coogler at the helm, bringing Drago into this and going that route seems bizarre. What was nice about Creed was that not only was the character of Rocky passing the torch, Stallone himself was passing the torch to a new generation of filmmakers by not having written the film.

Somebody pay Stallone to do Expendables 4 instead and distract him from Creed 2! :p

If Rocky IV and Creed were both on TV and I had to leave one on in the background, it would be Rocky IV.

B-b-but Creed has this sequence.

tKmrVgF_nya99b.gif

Cool, but I'm not sure a another Rocky / Drago fight at this point would be so great, considering where the character is at this point. This is just Stallone's ego checking in really.

If Ryan Coogler isn't directing...idk if I will be as hyped, regardless of how much I loved Creed.

Yeah Coogler's not directing nor is he interested, and thus I am less interested in this film as a result.

Yeah, there's a certain 80's gloss and excess I enjoy when watching Rocky 3 and 4.

Yeah, a lot of what people come to consider the '80s movie aesthetic was basically first seen on a wide scale via Stallone's direction of Rocky III.

The blueprint for Tony Scott's career was basically laid right there.

Well yeah. The one you don't want to actually watch would be the one you choose in that situation.

I think it's more... Rocky IV just has more moments. Moments that I remember and can sit through over and over. I don't really have a desire to watch any of these again, but something as bizarre as "happy birthday Paulie" or the excessive montages in IV light up my brain in a way Creed never did.

I think it's more... Rocky IV just has more moments. Moments that I remember and can sit through over and over. I don't really have a desire to watch any of these again, but something as bizarre as "happy birthday Paulie" or the excessive montages in IV light up my brain in a way Creed never did.

I think it's because Rocky 3 and 4 are pure popcorn and escapism films as I already said in this thread.

There's no question that Rocky and Creed are better films, but pure popcorn and escapism films are easily digestible and rewatchable.

It's just a lack of cultural context from his lens.

I think it's more... Rocky IV just has more moments.

If it's on in the background and you're not paying attention to it why would it matter?

You basically said of the two, the one you'd like to not pay attention to while you do other shit is Rocky IV.

Which makes sense.

Because it's easily the least of the two films. So you're not gonna miss much by "watching" it for 2 minutes at a time while your attention is pointed elsewhere for however long its on in your periphery.

but pure popcorn and escapism films

I mean, this is basically just code for "fucking dumb as rocks" though.

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
This thread has totally rekindled my love of Rocky 4. I'm going to a cookout this weekend, definitely wearing my "I must break you" t-shirt. I'll also go to the video store and see if I can rent Rocky 4.

Rookhelm

Rocky IV is a fun movie, but between Living in America, No Easy Way Out, Hearts on Fire, and the final fight, it's basically one long musical montage lol

Dude tried running some bullshit out there about knowing that particular biking culture because he was in town see PEARL JAM.

No I did not. I just answered the question of if I had been in Philly. And, notice the smiley.

I just don't think I need to know that culture to find that sequence cheesy.

I mean, this is basically just code for "fucking dumb as rocks" though.

True, and probably why people to this day don't enjoy heavier themes in entertainment, and say, "keep your politics out my entertainment (movies, games, tv, etc...)

No I did not. I just answered the question of if I had been in Philly. And, notice the smiley.

To a certain extent you do, because since you lack the cultural context you fill it in with your own and that's why you think it's cheesy. I have yet to hear a Black person think it's cheesy, and have only heard that criticism from White guys.

It's why diverse criticism on Pop culture is important particularly by those in those communities the art is depicting and created by.

Solo

Regardless of whether Stallone's in or not, or who directs it, Creed 2 is facing the same problem Rocky 2/3/4/5 did.....why? Why does it need to exist? What can you do that doesn't feel like a cynical, repacked, rehash of the first?

You didn't smiley at all when I asked you a direct question:

Well of course.

Otherwise I wouldn't to be able to feel it being a cheesy scene.

And you just said you don't think you need to know the culture to find it cheesy...so like I said, you tried rolling some bullshit out there from a position where you DON'T actually know.

To a certain extent you do, because since you lack the cultural context you fill it in with your own and that's why you think it's cheesy. I have yet to hear a Black person think it's cheesy, and have only heard that criticism from White guys.

It's why diverse criticism on Pop culture is important particularly by those in those communities the art is depicting.

Top Bottom