• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront: PC Performance Thread

viveks86

Seeing how well it runs and how good it looks, I'm very tempted to get this now, is the story mode meaty enough? Won't really touch multiplayer.

giphy.gif

In beta I was playing 2560x1600 at around 50-60 fps on ultra.

16gb ram
980gtx
ssd

Will I be able to expect similar performance in the full version? Thinking of picking this up tonight.

Grassy

Anybody have 980 Ti SLI on a 1440p/144 monitor? On Endor last night, I was around 95 FPS and on Hoth was about 75 to 80 FPS which is no good because I was at the same frames on 1 980 Ti during the beta. All Ultra settings.

I wonder if I forgot to flip on SLI in the Nvidia Control Panel... but I remember seeing GPU usage around 95% for both cards. Hmm...

I don't think I've seen my framerate lower than ~140 with that set-up, everything on Ultra and FXAA on High.

robotrock

Banned
Anyone getting weird crackly audio in the menus? The gameplay is fine, it's literally just the menus. Super strange.

On HDMI

Peterthumpa

Anyone getting weird crackly audio in the menus? The gameplay is fine, it's literally just the menus. Super strange.

On HDMI

Got it too, also via HDMI. But it usually starts in gameplay, exiting to the main menu does nothing. Have to quit the game and launch it again, quite annoying.

Rizific

8gb 1333
win 10

getting this weird black stuff

its everywhere i look, it starts maybe 100 at yards out and everything past that is blacked out. anyone know whats up?

EDIT. fixed. was running beta drivers, but apparently my catalyst software suite wasnt up to date? updating the software suite fixed it for me.

M2C3

Neo Member
I don't think I've seen my framerate lower than ~140 with that set-up, everything on Ultra and FXAA on High.

Thanks for the info! I've nailed my issue down to SWBF only using one of my Ti's and that's why I'm at stuck around 95 FPS max. I've already done a clean install of 358.91 after using DDU so I'll wait for a patch or a driver hotfix/update from Nvidia but still play. When SLI works, it's a dream but got damn when it doesn't work as expected.

Delt31

haha - totally forgot. Thanks for the reminder! For $70, I'm going for it. To your point, if not this game, something down the road and 70 isn't bad. Have a 980 so why not! ; )

better be stutterless with the 16gb!!! I will report back

EDIT _ some guy was selling open box on CL so I just picked up 16gb DDR3 2400 - same ones I posted earlier. Talk about random. Guy said he never used it and ended up going another direction w/his build. I will report back tonight on performance.

Here's my update. To summarize

i5 3570k OC
980 OC
16gb 2400 ram (upgraded from 8 today)

Game is butter smooth, ultra everything and 1080p that has resolution at 140% and still not dropping below 60 (vsync on). Very impressed. Game looks awesome. Very glad I went PC on this.

Crisium

To those disappointed in TAA and FXAA, using SweetFX's LUMASHARPEN works to re-sharpen the image to give back detail that the AA turns into blurry Vaseline.

I followed the same steps here as for Fallout 4. Just changed the exe to Battlefront's. I also recommend this for FO4, of course. You download one program and follow just a handful of simple steps to get much improved AA.

http://www.tweakguides.com/Fallout4_1.html

Here are the comparisons. 1440p (cropped smaller) all Ultra:

TAA
TAA + Sharp
FXAA High
FXAA High + Sharp
No AA and no sharpening

All are using 1.90 sharp_strength in LUMASHARPEN - SweetFX.

Although FXAA High + Sharp looks the best in stills (imo), I find that in motion TAA+Sharp has the best results. FXAA, even with resharpening, has noticeable shimmering. I'll be rolling with TAA + Sharp for now.

k4n3

Banned
i7 920 OC to 3.8
12 gigs of ram
290x crossfire

crossfire is having issues atm.... with one card i max out at around 90-100 fps on ultra when crossfire is working i get 130-140 easy

[ issues with crossfire ]

1. flickering screens in menus

2. longer loading time to get into maps

3. if i play more then 2 or 3 games in a row ill get the black textures and have to restart the game

4. the fps will start off really low like in the 50's then after a few min it will shoot up to 140+ and stay there

[outside of crossfire and just using a single 290x not having any problems]

uncapped

Running the following

i7 4790k @ 4.5 ghz
sapphire vapor-x r9 290x 8gb
8 GB ram @ 1600mhz

Just finished 4 matches of supremacy.. Running the game everything ultra, FXAA low..
4k @ 60 fps no drops

Running the game no problem at 60fps RivaTuner locked on my 970 at 1080p. The strange thing is that I get what appears to be stutter, very noticeable sometimes when panning my view with the mouse, but my overlay is saying constant 60fps and 16ms frame times.

Anyone getting this?

Grassy

Thanks for the info! I've nailed my issue down to SWBF only using one of my Ti's and that's why I'm at stuck around 95 FPS max. I've already done a clean install of 358.91 after using DDU so I'll wait for a patch or a driver hotfix/update from Nvidia but still play. When SLI works, it's a dream but got damn when it doesn't work as expected.

I'm using the same drivers and SLI has been working fine for me with Battlefront. The usage on both GPU's seems to be 90%+ most of the time when I've monitored it. I know it's obvious but maybe try disabling then enabling SLI again, sometimes it bugs out. It should be working fine.

uncapped

Running the game no problem at 60fps RivaTuner locked on my 970 at 1080p. The strange thing is that I get what appears to be stutter, very noticeable sometimes when panning my view with the mouse, but my overlay is saying constant 60fps and 16ms frame times.

Anyone getting this?

how many GB ram you running over there?? I read that 8GB may experience the odd stutter, while 16 does not.

Crisium

No AA + Sharpening looks way worse than just no AA, so yeah, it really is affecting the aliasing. That looks horrid.

Ha, you're right. I really just put that in for reference - no one should use it. Sharpening is really best used with AA, obviously as you can see.

derFeef

I am happy with FXAA high right now. I wish the game would not crash when I use VSR or resolution scaling, hopefully my new 16GB RAM sticks (2133 DDR3) can solve that.

ISee

I am happy with FXAA high right now. I wish the game would not crash when I use VSR or resolution scaling, hopefully my new 16GB RAM sticks (2133 DDR3) can solve that.

Hmm doesn't sound like a system ram problem in the first moment to be honest. Are you using an overclocked gpu? If so, setting it back to 'normal' clock speed might help.

derFeef

Hmm doesn't sound like a system ram problem in the first moment to be honest. Are you using an overclocked gpu? If so, setting it back to 'normal' clock speed might help.

I tried that too, it rans fine otherwise and with other games. But funnily enough I get a RAM warning in W10 when I play the game for longer stretches, which is a weird thing to see - I never saw that.

Running most settings on medium and a few on ultra at 1440p on a GTX 970 and i5-4690k. I'm getting framerates anywhere from 85-110 fps. Game still looks fucking incredible even when you lower settings to prioritize a 80+ framerate for a super smooth experience.

Edit: There is one map that drops into the area of 60-70 fps. It's the rainy Endor one. Still very playable and smooth though.

cheezcake

DICE are fucking wizards, getting a solid 60fps, 2x downsampling on my OC'ed GTX 970. Everything ultra and AA turned off.

The photogrammetry really shows, game looks stunning.

ISee

DICE are fucking wizards, getting a solid 60fps, 2x downsampling on my OC'ed GTX 970. Everything ultra and AA turned off.

The photogrammetry really shows, game looks stunning.

Out of curiosity (and because I'm stupid) what does 2x downsampling mean. I am downsampling from 2400x1350 to 1080p on my OC'ed 970@1400 (with fxaa high). So it's 1080p+25%. With unlocked fps I was sometimes relatively close to 60fps (65) in very intense situations (Ultra settings). So there is some room to improve the oversampling a bit further but I like to play it safe as I do not want drops in my multiplayer games.

I tried that too, it rans fine otherwise and with other games. But funnily enough I get a RAM warning in W10 when I play the game for longer stretches, which is a weird thing to see - I never saw that.

ohh this sounds strange indeed.

hoserx

If you're getting 95% usage on both cards as you said in your previous post, SLI is working.

It's definitely working problem free for me with gtx 970 sli. I have everything on ultra except FXAA is at high instead of using TXAA, dsr @ 2560x1440 @100-140fps on a 144hz screen.

ISee

Um, can you add different brands or it has to be the exact same model?

Theoretically yes. Practically it is a bit like playing lottery. Also keep in mind if you mix up ram modules with different clock speeds (timings etc.) the faster ones will be downclocked. I always recommend to buy kits and sometimes even mixing different models from the same manufacturer isn't effective.

BBboy20

cheezcake

Out of curiosity (and because I'm stupid) what does 2x downsampling mean. I am downsampling from 2400x1350 to 1080p on my OC'ed 970@1400 (with fxaa high). So it's 1080p+25%. With unlocked fps I was sometimes relatively close to 60fps (65) in very intense situations (Ultra settings). So there is some room to improve the oversampling a bit further but I like to play it safe as I do not want drops in my multiplayer games.

Just means double the pixel count of my native resolution (1080p), it's easier than typing out 2715x1527 haha

Running this on the Alpha with 8 gigs of RAM and I'm getting pretty consistent 60fps when playing at 1080p with mostly Ultra settings.

DICE deserves an award for this.

ISee

Nice. But you might consider to get a new 2x8gb kit with faster RAM as faster RAM seems to help during heavy cpu load scenarios (significant boost to be honest). That said only do it if you plan to stay on your current PC build for some time and it won't (probably) help battlefront performance (more of a gpu heavy game I guess). Also make sure your motherboard supports higher voltage output before buying faster ram.

Just means double the pixel count of my native resolution (1080p), it's easier than typing out 2715x1527 haha

Ah ok thx. Maybe I should try to go a bit further.

How does this game compare to Crysis 3 performance and graphics wise?

Better materials, better enemy character models, better effects work (artistically), lower geometry and interactivity. Pretty similar post-processing.

It performs better than C3 (assuming Post-AA @ 1080p Verhy High).

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
i5 2500K @ 4.3GHz
8GB DDR3 (4x2GB @1600MHz)
980Ti 6GB

2560x1440
120% resolution scale
Ultra
No AA
Driver forced 16x AF

60-100 fps

BBboy20

Nice. But you might consider to get a new 2x8gb kit with faster RAM as faster RAM seems to help during heavy cpu load scenarios (significant boost to be honest). That said only do it if you plan to stay on your current PC build for some time and it won't (probably) help battlefront performance (more of a gpu heavy game I guess). Also make sure your motherboard supports higher voltage output before buying faster ram.
I'm still using a CRT monitor and I might finally order a GTX970 tomorrow (GTX290 here) so I'm not going to be crazy on resolution so I'm uncertain how the rest of my build (i2500k) are going to handle these games. Probably better to play the newest games that been released in the past 12 months before deciding on getting new RAM.

Also: I have no plans on getting Battlefront 3 in the foreseeable future (or ever) but I did build a new PC (minus GFX card) for Battlefield 3 at the time so I generally pay attention to what DICE does with PC whenever they release a new game. It's that this RAM topic seem to be much more broader since a GFX card has been the only thing that prevented the full upgrade in the last 4 years and yet everything else I have is 4 years old for me so I'm aware I'm at a point where upgrading might be needed but apparently my CPU (and motherboard) is going to remain the same for the foreseeable future.

Impulsor

I'm playing at 3440x1440 at 60 fps locked.

980 ti
16gb RAM
SSD

It's the best gaming experience I've had in my life so far. (yeah I'm a huge fan lol)

derFeef

i5 2500K @ 4.3GHz
8GB DDR3 (4x2GB @1600MHz)
980Ti 6GB

2560x1440
120% resolution scale
Ultra
No AA
Driver forced 16x AF

60-100 fps

Are you on W10? I have a similar setup except GPU (R9 390) but I can't touch resolution scale at all - it crashes immediately. So RAM not an issue...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Are you on W10? I have a similar setup except GPU (R9 390) but I can't touch resolution scale at all - it crashes immediately. So RAM not an issue...

Yep, Win10.

I'm playing at 3440x1440 at 60 fps locked.

980 ti
16gb RAM
SSD

It's the best gaming experience I've had in my life so far. (yeah I'm a huge fan lol)

I'm not saying I've had the most fun with this game

But the experience is fucking amazing

I'm tempted to have people over just to show it off

Acer x34 + 980ti sli

Top Bottom