• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ's bankruptcy sale details: Auction on January 22nd, Will Allow Piecemeal Purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quentyn

Brian Crecente from Polygon just tweeted that they will have someone in the courtroom, so we should get some live coverage this time.

Maybe the guy from Distressed Debt is there as well.

AHA-Lambda

Why just Nintendo? Sony or Microsoft would be just as bad.

Just because everyone keeps saying Nintendo, even though they are almost assuredly the least likely publisher to do so outside of groups like Majesco and 505 Games.

Don't have time to read the entire thread, all I care about is if Saints Row and Metro are saved????

We don't know yet, I think we have about another hour to wait, I believe.

ugoo18

Well, Sony and Microsoft's next gen consoles may be able to handle Metro pretty decently, but the Wii U on the other hand...

Im pretty sure Metro isn't for sale

THQ publishes it but the IP belongs to 4A Games who as far as i know are not owned by THQ unless i missed something.

Fox Mulder

Where is Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft?!

Some great exclusives going out of the window...

Who knows, maybe they don't want to spend tons when they'll get those games anyways. Nintendo is the one that should have been interested in big western third party IPs.

Did we even know MS bought the Hydro Thunder IP after Midway died until it was announced for xbla?

Enkidu

Well, Sony and Microsoft's next gen consoles may be able to handle Metro pretty decently, but the Wii U on the other hand...
The game would be exclusive though, which is far worse than being stuck on inferior hardware.

Just because everyone keeps saying Nintendo, even though they are almost assuredly the least likely publisher to do so outside of groups like Majesco and 505 Games.
Well, now that you mention it there are probably more people calling on Nintendo than the other two, but I kind of get the impression that they are only half-serious due to how unlikely it is that Nintendo would actually buy anything.

dani_dc

Glad to see CoH went to Sega if confirmed, haven't played any game on the franchise, but it's good to see a PC franchise went to a publisher that's been pretty good on that front, rather than a publisher that would try to shoe-horn it into consoles and then subsequencially kill it when it fails (or reboot and then kill it when the reboot fails).

More concerned about Saints Row, hopefully it won't go to EA or to any first party.

I'm ok with South Park going to Ubisoft as long as they don't force uPlay into it/delay the PC version.... so I guess I'm not ok with it.

Again with the Nintendo talk.

There is literally zero indication that Nintendo is bidding or even remotely interested. Fanboy dreams and Nintendo Direct timing won't change that.

There's a Nintendo Direct today, clearly that means that Nintendo is about to announce Metro Last Light, Saints Row 4 and Darksiders III as exclusives to the Wii U after having adquired them yesterday, why else would there be a Nintendo Direct right after the auctions!

sangreal

Yeah I think we've heard before that the Metro rights aren't THQ's to sell, so I would've thought that anyone who picked up Last Light would also have to re-license the rights to be able to sell it.

the license was up for sale (along with any other exclusive (in copyright sense) license). A bunch of companies objected to having their license/contract transferred, but I don't remember seeing one from 4A. I posted previously a list of every contract that was up for assumption

Glass Rebel

This should be more or less right.

Franchises

Saints Row - Koch Media had highest bid, most publisher interest
Darksiders - No concrete information, some publisher interest
Red Faction - No concrete information, some publisher interest
Company of Heroes - SEGA had highest bid, EA was interested as well, rumours say SEGA already bought it
Evolve (Turtle Rock IP) - No concrete information, rumour says Koch Media bought it
Homefront - No concrete information, rumour says Crytek (who is developing the sequel) bought rights

Studios

Volition - No concrete information, will most likely be sold together with Saints Row franchise
Relic - SEGA had highest bid, rumour says they bought it
Vigil - No concrete information
THQ Montreal - No concrete information

Franchises not up for sale

Metro

Licenses not up for sale

WWE
Warhammer 40k

Fuck if I know

South Park - THQ wants to sell, South Park Studios is apparently saying no, serious business. Rumour says Ubisoft bought publishing rights.

dionysus

Yaldog
So Koch Media is basically Deep Silver? I am surprised they would have deep enough pockets to win Saints Row. I am doubtful of these rumors.

PaulLFC

So Koch Media is basically Deep Silver? I am surprised they would have deep enough pockets to win Saints Row. I am doubtful of these rumors.
Highest bid yesterday, not necessarily winner.

If this is true please for the love of God don't let EA have any contact with Yukes...
They used AKI for their Def Jam games, but didn't AKI rebrand or something?

Edit: Are THQ San Diego up for auction today? They did a good job with WWE All-Stars.

Mobzy

Neo Member

Koch are pretty big dude, they also distribute and publish games in Europe and the same thing with film and software.

Glass Rebel

Do we know anything about THQ Montreal? I thought they were pretty huge and they must have been working on something. I remember people throwing "1666" around, was that Desilets new game?

dionysus

Yaldog
Koch are pretty big dude, they also distribute and publish games in Europe and the same thing with film and software.

I looked at their website before I posted that, we have a different definition of pretty big. Their games include Risen franchise, Sacred franchise, Dead Island, Secret Files, and Lost Horizon. Then they only publish (not considered a core brand) X - Factor, Prison Break, and the X series. I really like X series and Risen, but they are still pretty small even in the PC gaming world. Their movie division appears to be even smaller than that.

Sinsem

Do we know anything about THQ Montreal? I thought they were pretty huge and they must have been working on something. I remember people throwing "1666" around, was that Desilets new game?

It is, "1666 Amsterdam". Probably Ubisoft or Warner Bros for this one (they both visited the studio, as Microsoft did too but they finally removed their offer).

Linkified

No far from it they do distribution of movies, software and video games along with publishing they are quite big and if Dead Island was their attempt to produce more quality titles then I'm all behind this, the problem is Volition without Saints Row will be a lesser product than if they are together...

Acidote

I looked at their website before I posted that, we have a different definition of pretty big. Their games include Risen franchise, Sacred franchise, Dead Island, Secret Files, and Lost Horizon. Then they only publish (not considered a core brand) X - Factor, Prison Break, and the X series. I really like X series and Risen, but they are still pretty small even in the PC gaming world. Their movie division appears to be even smaller than that.

They distribute a lot of games in Europe. No only those, a lot. I know they've distributed in Spain games from Capcom, Square Enix, Bethesda, NCSoft, SEGA, THQ and many others. They're not anything near the big ones, but they're big.

Moertel

Highest bid yesterday, not necessarily winner.

They used AKI for their Def Jam games, but didn't AKI rebrand or something?

Edit: Are THQ San Diego up for auction today? They did a good job with WWE All-Stars.

The San Diego studio was closed after they sold the UFC license. Not sure if the closure was 100% completed yet, though.

Mobzy

Neo Member

They worked with a ton of companies in terms of distribution in Europe iirc

http://www.kochmedia.com/games/partners.html

I guess they aren't as massive as Ubi, EA and Warner but what I was trying to say was that they could buy a studio for $5.2m if they wanted to.

Glass Rebel

1666 was the new game from Patrice, we know nothing else besides that.

It is, "1666 Amsterdam". Probably Ubisoft or Warner Bros for this one (they both visited the studio, as Microsoft did too but they finally removed their offer).

Kotaku thought so but Examiner reported that Patrice's game was mentioned separately as an as-yet untitled project.

1666 - THQ Montreal
Unnamed Project - THQ Montreal (Desilets game)
Atlas - Relic (probably the MOBA?)
Evolve - Turtle Rock
Crawler - Vigil

Interesting, thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom