• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PLayStation VR listed on three swiss site for price between 450€-500€

Agreed. Because if it's priced out of the mass market then the key software will never arrive. It'll be like the Vita/Move/Kinect all over again.
Though personally I can't see it going any other way without a price of 199 or lower.

Hopefully Sony are well aware they're going to make a loss here, are okay with that, and just see the PS4 iteration of PSVR as a means of testing the water, both for hardware design and software mechanics, to better inform a real attempt at mass market VR on the PS5.
Ard come on you guys gotta be trolling at this point right? That's just absurdly ridiculous

Ard come on you guys gotta be trolling at this point right? That's just absurdly ridiculous

Not trolling. I don't see this being a successful mass market device if it's priced as high as, or higher than, the console itself. Otherwise only a very small % will adopt it, meaning serious software development won't be viable, and we've got a shitty chicken/egg situation like the Move/Vita/Kinect all over again.

Like I said, hopefully Sony is aware of that, and just using this as a trial run for VR on the PS5.

Kikorin

I think the hardest challenge for Sony will be to convince people to buy a peripheral that is more expansive than the console itself. During the Christmas days you could buy a PS4 for 299€.

klaushm

I disagree. The target audience for PSVR is the current and future PS4 userbase, meaning that the device is targeting consumers who have spent or will spend at least $299.99 on a PS4. Pricing the PSVR above what the PS4 initially retailed for ($399.99) is, without a doubt, an expensive pricepoint for both casual and enthusiast users. I don't think Sony is foolish enough to believe $499.99 is cheap for an accessory, so even if they price it at $499.99, they wouldn't dare come out and say "It's not expensive".

Personally, I think $299.99 could happen. $399.99 is the safe bet, but there's no fun in playing it saf! Obviously, Sony's continued silence on the price doesn't fill me with hope in regards to the $299.99 point, but to be honest, I don't think a $399.99 PSVR would be unwelcomed. Oculus going for $599.99 has made a $399.99 PSVR much more 'digestible', if that makes sense.

They could only try to hit the PS4 user base, but this is new tech. There are a lot of people who don't like the idea of VR, even with good price. Games also don't target all users, as smartphones and going on. So the price might not be for us, which might not be their current target.

A safe bet is $499. $399 is a hopeful one but still belivable. $299 is a no no. And you are right. $399 is easier to accept now that oculus is $599, and that's my fear about $499. They don't have some product at a "competitive" price range. And Sony always had expensive display tech.

Fingers crossed for $399

DKHF

My guess for PSVR's price is $399.

I'm expecting the reveal to be at a special PSVR conference (similar to the February 2013 PS4 announcement conference) or at E3 if it's no longer being released in the first half of the year.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I think the hardest challenge for Sony will be to convince people to buy a peripheral that is more expansive than the console itself. During the Christmas days you could buy a PS4 for 299€.

The hardest challenge for Sony will be to support it better than they did with Move and Wonderbook.

Maximo

Not trolling. I don't see this being a successful mass market device if it's priced as high, or higher, as the console itself. Otherwise only a very small % will adopt it, meaning serious software development won't be viable, and we've got a shitty chicken/egg situation like the Move/Vita/Kinect all over again.

Like I said, hopefully Sony is aware of that, and just using this is as a trial run for VR on the PS5.

Is it supposed to be a Mass Market Device? Don't know why everyone is expecting this to be a make or break for everyone involved. VR is a highly Niche product for everyone, Sony is simply putting a horse in the race early.

Emedan

8wFGqMP.png

Not really, I just couldn't take the stupidity any more and had to lash out.

DOA if over 299. There is still nothing on the software side that will push the thing.

yep, sadly i think this is the case. i see a lot of people are excited about VR on PS4 but no one is really talking about any specific games.. i consider myself an enthusiast but even i struggle to come up with anything remotely interesting. RIGS could be fun i guess, but honestly doesn't come off as anything spectacular.. more like a minigame or something, like pretty much everything else i've seen :/ there doesn't seem to be anything truly groundbreaking and huge in the works.

correct me if i'm wrong though. hmm, maybe that EVE space shooter? i doubt the trailer was representative of how it will actually look in VR though. we'll see.

To add:

If PSVR is priced higher than the PS4 itself I don't see a world in which No Man Sky isn't an exclusive launch title for 6-12 months.

It's perplexing for me to fathom that it'll be that expensive. It's a product that difficult to market, it's something consumers have to experience first hand in order to want to be on board.

Granted Sony have said way before this product launching, "hey this is going to be similarly priced go to a console" but which console, PS4 or PS3?

If priced higher than PS4 than Sony is telling me that it's worried about its bottom line as opposed to market penetration.

It also leads me to believe that they are relying on a small percentage of the would be 40 million PS4 owners out there (by the time PSVR launches I'm assuming that PS4 will be at a minimum 40 million PS4s in consumer hands)

Also means Sony better be coming with a hell of a launch lineup and support PSVR afterwards with good solid software to make folks on the fence want to get this. They have to be thinking a strategy to make these things fly off the shelves.

Sony seemingly can't do wrong this generation. PSVR launch will be very interesting.

Wallach

To add:

If PSVR is priced higher than the PS4 itself I don't see a world in which No Man Sky isn't an exclusive launch title for 6-12 months.

It's perplexing for me to fathom that it'll be that expensive. It's a product that difficult to market, it's something consumers have to experience first hand in order to want to be on board.

Granted Sony have said way before this product launching, "hey this is going to be similarly priced go to a console" but which console, PS4 or PS3?

If priced higher than PS4 than Sony is telling me that it's worried about its bottom line as opposed to market penetration.

It also leads me to believe that they are relying on a small percentage of the would be 40 million PS4 owners out there (by the time PSVR launches I'm assuming that PS4 will be at a minimum 40 million PS4s in consumer hands)

Also means Sony better be coming with a hell of a launch lineup and support PSVR afterwards with good solid software to make folks on the fence want to get this. They have to be thinking a strategy to make these things fly off the shelves.

Sony seemingly can't do wrong this generation. PSVR launch will be very interesting.

I think Palmer Luckey is pretty dead on when he talks about the experience needing to be great more than it needs to be cheap. Especially in this first generation of hardware, if the difference between launching a $300-400 HMD and a $500-600 HMD is significant difference in VR experience quality, the former is not worth it. These companies are investing into VR as something that is going to grow and be around into the next decade; having a smaller user base who is going to talk about how awesome VR is all year is worth so much more than a larger user base who talks about how it might have been overhyped and is just kind of neat. They know this isn't a product that necessarily sells itself. They need the people that do adopt early to basically help them sell it through the next year.

Jumeira

Banned
Expecting it to be fairly niche to begin with but at that price its going to flop. Add ons have always been a tough sell.

DavidDesu

I think Palmer Luckey is pretty dead on when he talks about the experience needing to be great more than it needs to be cheap. Especially in this first generation of hardware, if the difference between launching a $300-400 HMD and a $500-600 HMD is significant difference in VR experience quality, the former is not worth it. These companies are investing into VR as something that is going to grow and be around into the next decade; having a smaller user base who is going to talk about how awesome VR is all year is worth so much more than a larger user base who talks about how it might have been overhyped and is just kind of neat. They know this isn't a product that necessarily sells itself. They need the people that do adopt early to basically help them sell it through the next year.

You say this as if PSVR is an unknown quantity though. The experience is better than Oculus DK2 from all accounts. Not as good as CV1 nope, but it's not some kind of starter VR solution on par with Google Cardboard or something. It can deliver proper VR, it can induce presence. And many people have really enjoyed demos with it and place it in the same league as Oculus. On that front if they can get it priced less than Oculus, which is a no brainer, it immediately has an advantage and could perform very well in the VR space, so much so that developers will want to target PSVR as that's where the customer base predominantly will be. Don't dismiss the fact there will be 40 million plus PS4's to sell theirnplug and play VR solution to. That's what Sony is in this for, the game revenue, hence why they are likely to take the risk and price this at cost or even at a small loss. I mean component parts will forever decrease so they won't be making a loss for long. People with a new VR toy will also pick up several games to try out with their new gadget. That could instantly make PSVR profitable. Sony has mass production expertise more so than newly formed Oculus and their limited shipping numbers can provide, further reducing potential costs to Sony. The camera and moves are also dirt cheap to help give people a good VR experience. Oculus Touch isn't even out at launch and will likely cost a further $100 for those people with Rift's to buy.

Balls in Sony's court for sure.

Is it supposed to be a Mass Market Device? Don't know why everyone is expecting this to be a make or break for everyone involved. VR is a highly Niche product for everyone, Sony is simply putting a horse in the race early.

That's why I'm hoping it's not supposed to be mass market. I guess only Sony knows the answer to that, but can they afford to pump millions into a device hardly anyone buys? And if hardly anyone buys it can developers afford to develop software for a hardware add-on hardly anyone owns? The price is going to make a big difference to the support it receives.

If it really is higher than 299, I hope the early adopters are well aware of the possibility that all they'll be playing are glorified tech demos a few times a year, because there's no way more than 5% of the PS4 userbase buys this thing if it's console price or higher.

Wallach

You say this as if PSVR is an unknown quantity though. The experience is better than Oculus DK2 from all accounts. Not as good as CV1 nope, but it's not some kind of starter VR solution on par with Google Cardboard or something. It can deliver proper VR, it can induce presence. And many people have really enjoyed demos with it and place it in the same league as Oculus. On that front if they can get it priced less than Oculus, which is a no brainer, it immediately has an advantage and could perform very well in the VR space, so much so that developers will want to target PSVR as that's where the customer base predominantly will be. Don't dismiss the fact there will be 40 million plus PS4's to sell theirnplug and play VR solution to. That's what Sony is in this for, the game revenue, hence why they are likely to take the risk and price this at cost or even at a small loss. I mean component parts will forever decrease so they won't be making a loss for long. People with a new VR toy will also pick up several games to try out with their new gadget. That could instantly make PSVR profitable. Sony has mass production expertise more so than newly formed Oculus and their limited shipping numbers can provide, further reducing potential costs to Sony. The camera and moves are also dirt cheap to help give people a good VR experience. Oculus Touch isn't even out at launch and will likely cost a further $100 for those people with Rift's to buy.

Balls in Sony's court for sure.

My statement is more in context of the PSVR not actually being as cheap as people might be expecting. Not that there is going to be such a significant gap in their experiences. I don't see the PSVR hitting at less than $500 and think it might straight up match the Rift at $599. It still puts them in a position of only being a ~$1,000 buy-in compared to a $~1,500 buy-in, and opens them up to feeding off the growth of non-game related VR (which I think is going to be the more significant driver of VR growth before the end of the decade).

That's why I'm hoping it's not supposed to be mass market. I guess only Sony knows the answer to that, but can they afford to pump millions into a device hardly anyone buys? And if hardly anyone buys it can developers afford to develop software for a hardware add-on hardly anyone owns? The price is going to make a big difference to the support it receives.

If it really is higher than 299, I hope the early adopters are well aware of the possibility that all they'll be playing are glorified tech demos a few times a year, because there's no way more than 5% of the PS4 userbase buys this thing if it's console price or higher.
There is an entire thread full of games both built for vr and games with added support? Should check it out

I think think the standalone headset will sell in the $299-$399 US price range with $349 being the likely price. Sony needs to sell a standalone headset because some people already have the camera. Doing so is also great for marketing because it allows Sony to offer a seemingly lower introductory price. One thing people don't realize which could offset a lower price is that the camera and Move controllers are sold with a hefty markup.

There is an entire thread full of games both built for vr and games with added support? Should check it out

There's also an entire thread full of games for the Vita (!)

I'm a big fan of my Vita, but I'm not crazy enough to pretend quantity doesn't equal quality. That device started out with an exclusive Uncharted and it still wasn't enough. Price, quality of AAA games, and lack of AAA games, killed it from the start. That meant slow hardware adoption, which meant slow software support, which meant slow hardware adoption, which meant etc etc. If you're going into PSVR expecting anything more than glorified tech demos and throwaway integration with standard PS4 games, you're setting up for disappointment. No way this is going to take off as a mass market device with killer exclusives until PS5.

Alo0oy

Banned
Sony isn't going to subsidize this... or any product for that matter... Sony simply can't afford it.

The times where manufacturers were willing to take a loss on every product sold are over..

No they are not, PS4 was sold at a loss for months, in fact, if you factor in marketing, it's probably still being sold at a loss, for good reason.

Any profits from the hardware are marginal at best and irrelevant for SCE as a whole, a FIFA copy being sold is probably more profitable than a PS4, software revenue is where the real money is, and you need to prioritize market share to get AL the licensing money from software.

There's also an entire thread full of games for the Vita (!)

I'm a big fan of my Vita, but I'm not crazy enough to pretend quantity doesn't equal quality. That device started out with an exclusive Uncharted and it still wasn't enough. Price, quality of AAA games, and lack of AAA games, killed it from the start. That meant slow hardware adoption, which meant slow software support, which meant slow hardware adoption, which meant etc etc. If you're going into PSVR expecting anything more than glorified tech demos and throwaway integration with standard PS4 games, you're setting up for disappointment. No way this is going to take off as a mass market device with killer exclusives until PS5.
Welp i loved the stuff i tried at psx. I didn't know rigs and eve were tech demos. And im glad you already played the throwaway integration of ace combat 7 and gt sport before anybody else has.

Don't know about the validity of these infos. Neverless, one of the online sites that promotes the Playstation VR (microspot is a direct subsidiary of the number two in Swiss retail business (Coop). No confirmation, just info for non Swiss readers :)

Oh and Swiss electronics prices are always a lot cheaper than in Germany, so that 499 CHF price tag equals something like a 549-599€ price tag. A little hard to believe actually.

Elandyll

Banned
Placeholder prices...

If anything, that tells us they don't expect it to be any -more- than what is listed, and neither do I.

It's also interesting to see the "lol $299", because that's very possibly where it'll be (for the headset alone).

$499 with vouchers packed in so they can say "over $100 worth of value included"

I was hoping $349.99 but after the rift I'd say $400 is going to be luck but most likely $499

I'm gonna do something very silly and I know some gaffers will make fun of me but fuck it. Pulling these numbers outta my ass because obviously I don't know manufacturing costs for any of these products but bear with me.

PSVR bundles and prices at launch.

PSVR Ultimate Bundle priced at $449.99 includes PS camera, PS Move and a game.

PSVR/Move Bundle priced at $399.99 and a game

PSVR/PS camera priced at $399.99 and a game

PSVR priced at $349.99 and a game.

I think the base model with cost just as much as a PS4 and I hope it does. I'm OK with that.

Death2494

Dead on arrival if true.
Just like with anything that hasn't been verified, this is a placeholder price.

People need to understand that this isnt about market share for any company invested in VR. their primary concern is to generate a market for something that, 10 years from now, can completely change how we interact/communicate with one another. Sony will price this at $350 - $400. Look at what apple did with the iPhone in relation to touch screens. It was not the most advance phone ever, but its learning curve was low enough that anyone could understand it. People like easy things. Oculous and Vive require larger investments than PSVR. This can be either specs or square feet for the cameras. PSVR is plug and play. Sony has stated that they are realistic about PSVR year one sales (<1m). I am okay with a $400 price tag. As long as it works

vpance

My statement is more in context of the PSVR not actually being as cheap as people might be expecting. Not that there is going to be such a significant gap in their experiences. I don't see the PSVR hitting at less than $500 and think it might straight up match the Rift at $599. It still puts them in a position of only being a ~$1,000 buy-in compared to a $~1,500 buy-in, and opens them up to feeding off the growth of non-game related VR (which I think is going to be the more significant driver of VR growth before the end of the decade).

Lool no. But enjoy your surprise when it's announced.

gmoran

Way too high. Sony has to hit $299.

I think Sony has to hit $399; however I'm hopeful that would be with Move controllers and there would be a cheaper version without for $349.

I think this is definitely in the "lands of reality", time will tell though.

gmoran

I'm gonna do something very silly and I know some gaffers will make fun of me but fuck it. Pulling these numbers outta my ass because obviously I don't know manufacturing costs for any of these products but bear with me.

PSVR bundles and prices at launch.

PSVR Ultimate Bundle priced at $449.99 includes PS camera, PS Move and a game.

PSVR/Move Bundle priced at $399.99 and a game

PSVR/PS camera priced at $399.99 and a game

PSVR priced at $349.99 and a game.

I think the base model with cost just as much as a PS4 and I hope it does. I'm OK with that.

I think the camera is so cheap it will just be bundled with it. Sucks a bit as I already have the camera, but commercially at the price it is it would be stupid on Sony's part not to (with camera, guaranteed to work, without not; separate camera, no-camera bundles and stock issues).

I'm also assuming every PSVR will come with Rigs (fingers crossed).

I can't see it being that high, 'nobody' would buy it.

I would think $300 / £250 at the most. Any price that costs more than the console itself which is required to run it just isn't going to work.

Z3M0G

You people saying "299 or bust" are crazy... you know that, right? That's simply impossible... IMPOSSIBLE.

I'm personally hoping for 399, but I'm worried that would need to be the headset alone (no game, no controllers, no camera).

Keep in mind that this thing has an external CPU box that connects between the PS4 and headset... that won't be added in at no extra cost... OCULUS doesn't come with something like that.

Top Bottom