• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Since the demographics in the OT are a bit more mature than other parts of GAF, let's share the love for fine wristwatches and timepieces.

I was first attracted to wristwatches when I saw this one in a documentary about 20 years ago:
1769927244_67a2e0637f.jpg

it's an Omega Speedmaster Professional, also called the "Moon watch" because this model was the first non-russian watch to go into space and even went to the moon with the Apollo 11 crew.

Extensive but interesting writeup on the "watch" History of the NASA:
http://home.xnet.com/~cmaddox/moonmovement.html

That watch was WAY out of my price range then and still is now, but it got me started on watches with a certain history. Also, my focus shifted from Pilots watches to Divers watches, for the sheer ruggedness and ease of reading them.

To make a long story short, with increasing age and income bracket, I have been able to cater the fetish for a few years now. My collection conssits of the following memorable ones at the moment:

smallP1000169.jpg

An Orsa Sea Angler, a limited Edition run of a Canadian dive watch for members of a watch forum I post at, only 25 pieces were made in total, of this particular model only 10 were produced.

smallP1030220.jpg

A Seiko Marinemaster (Ref.Nr. SBDX0001). This watch is the re-edition of a classic Seiko Divers watch. The most memorable points about this watch are the movement, which is only used in two models within the whole Seiko watch range, and the case of the watch. the body of the watch is milled form a single piece of steel, no caseback on this. Seiko is known for its affordable watches to the general public, but there are several high-class models in the collection that are only sold in Japan, unfortunately. Here's a shot of the beautifully executed hands and dial of this model:
smallP1010470.jpg

smallP1030222.jpg

An Orient 300m Dive watch. Also using an unique movement, this watch is by far the heaviest of my collection, weighing in at around 200 grams. Attributing to the weight is the sapphire crystal used on this, it's 5 millimeters thick. Here's a size comparison with a standard-sized mens watch:
smallP1010859.jpg

smallP1030326.jpg

A Sinn UX. Made by a german manufacturer, this is the only quartz watch in my collection. Interesting about this watch is that the case is filled with teflon oil, resulting in a gorgeous readability of the dial even under extreme angles:
smallP1000346.jpg

Originally intended for divers to work against refractions while in the water, this makes a great watch for meetings, as a quick glance will tell you the time wasted already :lol . The movement used in this watch is among the most accurate non-radio controlled movements in the world, with an accuracy of +/- 4 seconds a year.

smallP1030400.jpg

Also from Sinn, an EZM 3 automatic wristwatch. I bought this one to have a smaller alternative to the watches above around. It has become my daily watch in the new job as it fits fine under shirtcuffs. The case of this watch is filled with Argon gas to prevent oxidation of the movement. The watch also features a small capsule filled with copper sulphate which serves as a backup with the same purpose (the bluish spot):
smallP1030214.jpg

So, if you share this hobby or want to know more, feel free to post your watches/collections/questions/whatever!:lol

Currently, I have the Jack Bauer watach:

special-ops-watch_thumb.jpg

And the Jason Bourne watch I want:

51T8AP69TXL._SS500_.jpg

It's Matt's own personal watch. He lost his old one in Supremacy and now has this one.

Falch

That Sinn UX in particular is a beauty.

I'm still wearing a 30 Euro Casio illuminator I bought 5+ years ago. :lol Not sure I could ever go back to an analog watch, I find it much easier to look at time digitally.

EDIT: this is the one I got:

679324.jpg

Nothing special, but it gets the job done.

NJ Shlice

I currently wear this most of the time. It's a Diesel Watch.
60869231.jpg

However, this is my favorite watch that I'd like to have in the near future.
Cartier Roadster
cartier.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
very nice! I fancied an Orion myself sometime ago.

This thread isn't about price of the pieces, just share your tickers!

Dear O.P.

How are the Fortis watches?
Are they well made, reliable, how many mins off are they per month etc... etc..

thanks.

F3.jpg

I want this.

Munin

I don't understand all these people who're older than 15 and still running around with one of these Casio G-Shock things that I once wore in elementary school. They just look awful to me.

LazyLoki

this is my watch. bought it myself for my 18th birthday, and it has never failed me in the last 8 years. i must admit that i treat it more like a commodity than a piece of jewelery, and it has become a little bit scratched (some metal parts at least) over time :D

jomashop_1995_202024940.jpg

it is a 2000 series men's chronograph CK 1110-0 from TAG Heuer

Adamrogo

Banned
Nice collection!

I have an appreciation for watches as well. I don't collect them, I just own one at a time, so I look for a balance of casual and classy looks. I currently wear a Rolex GMT Master with the blue and red bezel. It has been my favorite for a while and I plan on keeping it for a while.

I'll post pictures if anyone cares.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
CurlySaysX, the one that I had (Pilot Professional) was about 6 seconds fast per day.

m0dus, :lol

Adamrogo said:
I currently wear a Rolex GMT Master with the blue and red bezel. It has been my favorite for a while and I plan on keeping it for a while.

I'll post pictures if anyone cares.
Do it! The Pepsi GMT is an icon.

LazyLoki said:
this is my watch. bought it myself for my 18th birthday, and it has never failed me in the last 8 years. i must admit that i treat it more like a commodity than a piece of jewelery, and it has become a little bit scratched (some metal parts at least) over time :D

jomashop_1995_202024940.jpg

it is a 2000 series men's chronograph CK 1110-0 from TAG Heuer

You bought it for yourself? Those watches are clocking in around 2 grand. Are you rich or something?

Adamrogo

Banned
My camera doesn't shoot a very sharp macro shot, and I'm not in a room with natural lighting, so this will have to do.

GMT.jpg

LazyLoki

Jason's Ultimatum said:
You bought it for yourself? Those watches are clocking in around 2 grand. Are you rich or something?

i was, kinda.
i cashed in a building savings contract, and had some spare money (i only blew out like 20%, the rest got invested)

the follies of youth... on the same day, i also bought a cellphone for over 500 euros (nokia 8850). i regret buying that cell even today, complete waste of money, but the watch was the best purchase i've ever made.

Adamrogo

Banned
OnkelC said:
you studied law like myself, so you are either a spoilt brat or robbed a jeweler:lol

It's very possible to find good deals on high end watches. I paid an incredibly low price for my GMT.

Adamrogo

Banned
OnkelC said:
just wondering, it's an uncommon choice for a person below age 45.

Well, the tank is a modern design of the square watch... I like it. If I liked the square shape, I'd wear a tank or a nice Patek.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
OnkelC said:
just wondering, it's an uncommon choice for a person below age 45.

it's just a simple sleek B&W tank solo which is really quite my style since i like modestly sized watches (i has small girlie wrists) and they are hard to find. was just around $2k or something.

I can already tell there is going to be much fapping goin on by me in this thread - I love watches. Unfortunately, every time I find one that really makes me go ga-ga, it's definately going to get me back a couple of grand.

I see Youta has the same problem... *chuckles* Your want is stunning...

One day I'll own a watch with a real minute repeater though. I have a fondness for Gerald Genta watches too.

sangreal

I can't own any really nice watches because I scratch them up beyond recognition (I guess I walk too close to walls)

Right now I wear this when I go out:
167pds0.jpg

It actually looks pretty cool in person (but definitely doesn't qualify as a "fine timepiece")

I also wear a fake tag and a fake patek philippe skeleton watch (they were free)

tag_1500_tt_wd1221_k20.jpg

I found this watch on the ground in a parking lot last year. It was in great condition except for the band which had a little damage. I gave it to my Dad because I have tiny wrists and couldn't believe that he not only had the band changed to some piece of shit, flimsy flea market one, but then let the guy who changed it keep the original band :(

You should of seen his face when I showed him how much it was worth online.

Onkel: What do you think about the glow-in-dark stuff on the dial? I don't know much about watches but it just seems cheap to me. Nothing is more decadent and luxurious than not being able to tell the time at night. :p

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
My wonderful wife got me something I have long wanted for my 30th birthday- a Movado watch. It's the Museum Classic:

31zHfrMbRzL._AA280_.jpg

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
you know, i'd really like to start wearing a watch (especially since one of my pet peeves is not knowing what time it is), but i'm so goddamn picky about what i want that i can never find one that i like. i think i want my watch to look more like jewelry than an actual watch, but at the same time i don't want it to be cheap-y, because i want good quality. it seems like anything that even comes close to what i want is either bargain-store cheap or astronomically expensive :(

Zaptruder

Banned
shantyman said:
My wonderful wife got me something I have long wanted for my 30th birthday- a Movado watch. It's the Museum Classic:

31zHfrMbRzL._AA280_.jpg

Pretty watch... but I just can't use watches like that. I need a minute by minute indicator of time... because I'm constantly cutting it so close.

Adamrogo

Banned
bean breath said:
tag_1500_tt_wd1221_k20.jpg

I found this watch on the ground in a parking lot last year. It was in great condition except for the band which had a little damage. I gave it to my Dad because I have tiny wrists and couldn't believe that he not only had the band changed to some piece of shit, flimsy flea market one, but then let the guy who changed it keep the original band :(

You should of seen his face when I showed him how much it was worth online.

Onkel: What do you think about the glow-in-dark stuff on the dial? I don't know much about watches but it just seems cheap to me. Nothing is more decadent and luxurious than not being able to tell the time at night. :p

The hands and dots on my Rolex's dial are glow in the dark, yet they are still pure white, they don't look green or yellow during the day. Luxurious indeed!

mrkgoo

cloudwalking said:
you know, i'd really like to start wearing a watch (especially since one of my pet peeves is not knowing what time it is), but i'm so goddamn picky about what i want that i can never find one that i like. i think i want my watch to look more like jewelry than an actual watch, but at the same time i don't want it to be cheap-y, because i want good quality. it seems like anything that even comes close to what i want is either bargain-store cheap or astronomically expensive :(

I'd also like to start wearing a watch again.

Back in undergrad, and earlier I used to always wear a watch. I was fascinated with clocks as well. In my own room I'd have 4-5 clocks so I could tell the time no matter which was I was facing. But after studies, when I found myself not really needing to be anywhere in particular DEAD-ON time, most of the time, I de-accessorised and removed my watch - and have never worn one since.

To this day, however, I always marvel at nice watches. I would love to buy watches, but I probably wouldn't wear them, which would be a waste. I go for minimalist and simplicity. Some of favourite watches are the classic Seiko Kinetic designs - industrial, but simple enough to be elegant.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Zaptruder said:
Pretty watch... but I just can't use watches like that. I need a minute by minute indicator of time... because I'm constantly cutting it so close.

I have to admit, the number one comment I get about it is "I could not tell what time it is with that single dot."

It's not that big of an issue, really.

Stocka

sangreal said:
I can't own any really nice watches because I scratch them up beyond recognition (I guess I walk too close to walls)

Right now I wear this when I go out:
167pds0.jpg

It actually looks pretty cool in person (but definitely doesn't qualify as a "fine timepiece")

I also wear a fake tag and a fake patek philippe skeleton watch (they were free)
This is one of the watches on the Tokyo Flash website that most appeal to me. Do you get used to it? As in does it get easy to tell the time without thinking too much about it?

Pringo

Banned
nvoynk.png

This is my piece of crap watch I got at some department store a few years ago for around $40. I recently managed to put a pretty big scratch right down the middle of it and I still haven't figured out how that happened.

Anyways, I'm looking to get a new one sometime. Do you guys have any ideas for a nice looking digital watch? Most of the digital ones I've seen (including mine) don't look too hot and I'm kind of wanting an upgrade from what I have. I'll go for an analogue one if I can't find a good digital, but I've gotten used to reading the time this way.

Top Bottom