• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo DS production stops

MGS3_salute.jpg

Pretty much this. Great handheld system.

Triple U

Banned
Best games console ever. (Thanks to the GBA BC allowing the playing of Yoshi's Island GBA on there too, of course)

Take your place in the hall of fame, little fellah.

I haven't played many DS games but I like GBA better. I also put SNES and PS2 above it.

G'night sweet prince. Completely smashed expectations in a way no system had done before or probably will do after.

I can't believe Nintendo isn't pushing to beat the PS2 "all-time" gaming system record though. Seems like it would take almost no effort. Small price drop, a couple million systems....boom done in one.

companies don't care about these silly records. it's not even comparable, one is a handheld, the other a home console.

Fireblend

Banned
The DS was a beast. I still have my DS Phat, and play it from time to time. Of course, the 3DS XL is a very worthy successor, and it's replaced most of my portable gaming time. I trust it will have as good a life as its predecessor.

Rest well, sweet prince. You shan't be forgotten.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Good bye to the legend.

And I can still remember people mocking it initially, lol

Tenrius

Umm...guys (from the European PR of the results briefing):

"Nintendo will continue to sell Nintendo DS Hardware but is not revealing a unit sales forecast at this time."

They're still selling the thing.

Doesn't it kinda change the whole premise of the OP?

Umm...guys (from the European PR of the results briefing):

"Nintendo will continue to sell Nintendo DS Hardware but is not revealing a unit sales forecast at this time."

They're still selling the thing.

Well then a mod should come by and change the OP, because the OP + title are intensely misleading.

Chuckpebble

Holy shit, dat battery life. Had mine sitting unused since christmas. Gave it to my 4 year old for the trip to the aquarium, she played Nintendogs on full brightness the whole round trip, which included nice half hour crawl where they decided to make I95 on lane.

Is there some way to stick the DS inside of my 3DS?

entremet

Is the DSi affected by the production halt too?
Yes. Those are last DS versions that were.

Nintendo stopped making DSLites a while ago

Then they stops DSiXL production

No DSi's are done.
Time to start looking for a sub $100 DSi XL.

Good fucking luck lol. Especially if new. They've been discontinued for a while and prices are jacked up all over since they're no longer in production and in demand due to it being the way to play DS games..

I know this because I was looking for a unit last holiday season. I got lucky and found some Walmart stock but it was still MSRP, which is above 100.

Here's one, but in pink only and you get some shit games. Still worth it cause the DSiXL is awesome.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nintendo-...-w-Travel-Case-and-Choice-of-2-Games/14166234

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Reminds me... need to pick up a DS Lite so I can get GBA compatibility...

What an amazing system. I owned a DS fat and still own my DSi and loved every minute with those systems. Solid hardware, great games and amazing functionality.

And I love my 3DS just as much - it has picked up the torch and is running with it.

olimpia84

I'm probably one of the few left in this world who never owned a DS. Might get one if they drop it to $50 just for the sake of it even though I already own a 3DS.

Hobbun

I started out hating where gaming was going with the handheld route, always wanted it to stay primary console, secondary handheld.

But over time, it has become one of my favorite systems with the great games that were continually being released. I still prefer console over handheld gaming in general, but the DS showed it is up at the top as well.

Awesome system, you will be missed.

Everything has to have its haters...
Why does someone have to be a "hater" to want a company to make better financial decisions? I loved my DS, but once you release the successor, you're just cannibalizing the new system's sales. This is especially true when you have brand confusion, I've seen people buy the DSi thinking they could play 3DS games on it since "3DS is just a DS with a 3D screen, and the reviews say most people turn it off anyway..." They should've probably stopped production when the 3DS launched and sold through the stock. The same goes for the Wii. There are people who STILL think that the old Wii can be purchased as a starter and upgraded with the "Wiipad" later.

TheNatural

My Member!
There's still plenty in the retail chain, so they're still probably going to be on the shelves throughout the year. Hell it sold way more than Vita last month.

Portugeezer

So, it won't end up surpassing PS2 sales now that production stopped.

Best handheld of all time (and to the GBA lovers, DS/Lite played GBA games so it's a win/win).

Best console ever. And I'm nowhere near stopping playing with it. Still got a lot of Strange Journeying to do with Knights in the Knightmare, Radiant Historia, Devil Survivor and lots of other games still in the pipeline for me.

You were supposed to be a third pillar. You ended up being a champ. I'll see you on the 4DS's Virtual Console. *waves*

Fuck your avatar.

Doesn't surprise me, they want everybody to jump to 3DS. No reason not to, really as the Lite is already discontinued and the 3DS is almost 100% backwards compatible.

Top Bottom