• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita firmware update locks memory cards

Jucksalbe

Banned
On top of that the memory cards are so small, I'm worried that if I take my card out, I'll lose it.

They should release special cases for their memory cards that can hold at least five of them...for their dedicated customers.

Ok now I understand your problem. It seems that the only way to solve this, is to get a Vita below 1.8 (perhaps you know someone with a Vita who didn't update yet or you know a small retailer who let's you do this in his store with a used Vita?), switch to your account A on it, plug your memcard into it and then save your data on PC/MAC/PS3.

Sadly I don't know anyone. It's a Vita, noone bought the damn thing.

Was too much of a hassle to begin with anyway so it doesnt really affect me. Thats not to say i would've loved to have multiple accounts on the same vita.

Shahed

For those of you who have switched to 1.8. Is it a mandatory update or optional? I haven't updated mine yet. If it's optional I might just play my US PSP games first and get them out of the way and then update. Chrono Cross, Xenogears and Suikoden are the only PS1 classics I have on my US account, so they should fit on my measly 4Gb card

I can always update firmware in a month or so

Satchel

Banned
It's amazing really.

Considering the state of things, you really think Sony would be trying their absolute best to make the PSVita that little bit more... saleable.

Hi here is this awesome handheld, but we're not including on board storage. Oh and we're going to overcharge you for the mandatory memory cards. We're going to also lock those mothers down.

We're also not going to give you much software that takes advantage of the device.

Oh, and did we mention this console will also cost too much?

Seriously. What. The. Fuck. I actually want a Vita. But not like this. Not like this.

Septimius

I was about to buy a Vita the other day, for the reason of playing PSOne games, so I could play it at my girlfriend's place, since it's a bit of a hassle dragging the fat PS3 up and down if I feel like playing. I have quite some NTSC games, because of the horrible PAL conversion, but I have some PAL games, too. So that would require two memory cards.

Luckily, I decided to buy a new PS3 instead. Now I just have a memory stick in my back at all times that I keep a copy of my current games' saves on, and my current game with me, also.

Larsen B

It would really help if Sony was consistent with user accounts across all of their products. Multiple region accounts on my PS3 led to a headache with my PSP.

I'd be unhappier but would be saved a lot of trouble if the PS3 could only have one region account and I knew what I was stuck with.

And now I'm planning to buy a Vita at some point but the thought of needing multiple memory cards for different regions is just almost too much.

Goldrusher

Its like they want to loose customers....
On the contrary, sales will skyrocket.

Want to let your brother have his own profile, saves, trophies, friends?
Buy a second Vita.

Want to let a friend play the first chapter of Uncharted without messing up your save?
Buy a third Vita.

Want access to the American PlayStation Store?
Buy a fourth Vita.

Want access to the Japanese PlayStation Store?
Buy a fifth Vita.

Akainu

Hi here is this awesome handheld, but we're not including on board storage. Oh and we're going to overcharge you for the mandatory memory cards. We're going to also lock those mothers down.

We're also not going to give you much software that takes advantage of the device.

Oh, and did we mention this console will also cost too much?

Seriously. What. The. Fuck. I actually want a Vita. But not like this. Not like this.
The price is fine. Everything else is pretty valid. I'm sure you made that comment before.

SmokyDave

This is why I've never fucked with multiple accounts across different regions. I'd just be waiting for this kind of hammer to drop. Sucks for those affected.

I don't think this affects too many people. And I don't think that some of the people here posting about how they would not get a PS Vita now because of this, would ever have any intentions to buy the Vita. Just another welcome opportunity to state how the Vita and Sony will fail.

Negator

Gemüsepizza;41485133 said:
I don't think this affects too many people. And I don't think that some of the people here posting about how they would not get a PS Vita now because of this, would ever have any intentions to buy the Vita. Just another welcome opportunity to state how the Vita and Sony will fail.

By the same logic, if it did not affect too many people, why would Sony even bother doing this?

I have a JPSN account for the odd import game, and I wanted to download some of the PSP games that Europe got that NA didn't, but now the thought of buying a Vita is so unappealing if Sony continues to go down this road.

I am sure that with all the free memory cards in Vita bundles, Sony had no choice but to lock each one to a specific account or suffer from massive losses.

They likely spent many hours agonizing over possible alternatives, but sometimes you got to make hard decisions to make sure your company is only losing money and not losing lots of money.

thuway

By the same logic, if it did not affect too many people, why would Sony even bother doing this?

I have a JPSN account for the odd import game, and I wanted to download some of the PSP games that Europe got that NA didn't, but now the thought of buying a Vita is so unappealing if Sony continues to go down this road.

They also have been very pro consumer with Cross Buy. So its a win-lose situation. It is your call at the end of the day- but it doesn't effect me personally all that much.

This is why I've never fucked with multiple accounts across different regions. I'd just be waiting for this kind of hammer to drop. Sucks for those affected.

Yeah, same for me. It sucks to miss out on the occasional game that arrives sooner (or entirely exclusive) in a different region, but I would just rather not have to worry about managing multiple accounts and I like to keep everything safe in my one proper account.

Shocked-At-The-Grenades-He-Did-Sex-With.gif

Quick we have a system that isn't selling well, lets make people less likely to purchase one!

I think this was always the plan, there just happened to be a loophole that has now been closed. Sucks, but at least its region free still. More than other systems can claim.

Pallaris

Was too much of a faf to begin with so not a big deal.

Sadly for them I wont be purchasing any PSone games due to the fact that i'll be stuck with the bordered 50hz versions from back in the PAL days.

It's too bad they couldn't let us buy from multiple accounts like with the PS3. I guess we were never supposed to but then everyone starting making phantom accounts and got around the issue. I suppose this ballsed up stat tracking etc from their end which is why they put a stop to it.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Another thread to irrationally dump on the Vita I see,"NOT BUYING NOW" jokers abounds as if this could possibly influence the decision.

Shitty move though, but futzing around with wiping the system each time anyway was too much hassle anyway. Just thankful the system isn't region locked for game-cards. Might be part of the licensing for PS1 games or something too, trying to make it as difficult as possible for people to have their pick of the cheapest prices from across the world.

Haven't done the swap once so I'm okay with this.

Sucks tho if you thought about doing it never.

And you think that was a "feature" casuals wanted?

Do you think the casual market knew about Vita before this? If the only major change is PSX support you can't advertise that to the casual market cause they'll go "yeah but my PSP already does that way cheaper and those titles link to my PS3"

Sony trying to find new ways to scare off fans. I can't believe there isn't a way to, at the very least, transfer over existing Vita saves.

Just a mind boggling move.

Hope they reconsider.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Maybe I'm stupid, but what is bad about this? :/

See, before this update you could switch accounts with just one memory card and no need of doing a backup of your whole memory card. Now you can't, because everytime you switch accounts all your data is lost (by the way, when I tried to do a backup of a 8GB card once, it took about 25 minutes).
So, to switch accounts you now need one memory card per account. For example I have five different accounts I'd use, but I'm surely not buying five of their overpriced memory cards.

I mean this sucks and they shouldn't do it but really it will effect only a fraction of the user base. More importantly, the people that will realise and possibly care are people on forums like this... not the general user base.

The only thing I wanted it for was netflix as im in UK. Itss a lot of hastle switching accounts just to try the odd demo here and there. I have my old 8 gig card if I ever want to try us stuff but I havn't had a need yet.

Like I said earlier they should have warned people they were doing this. Its a bit of an unfair move on them, but really we are talking about a fraction of a % of people who will notice / care.

Not buying a vita because of it is very extreme lol. The retail carts are still not region locked and prob cheaper for the most part.

Aru

I can see how it's annoying for some people, but I personally don't mind.
I'll backup all my saves and content individually on my computer and format my memory card each time I need to change accounts.
My main account for my Vita is my US account though, I'll likely not format often.

7threst

Bad move Sony...

To think that if you would've told me three years ago region locking would be a thing again now I would've laughed so hard. And look at the 3DS and Vita now...

Any chance of Sony changing this in the future?

Jucksalbe

Banned
I mean this sucks and they shouldn't do it but really it will effect only a fraction of the user base. More importantly, the people that will realise and possibly care are people on forums like this... not the general user base.

Why is this somehow important? Screwing with minorities is okay? This is not a sales thread.

Aeana

The only thing I wanted it for was netflix as im in UK. Itss a lot of hastle switching accounts just to try the odd demo here and there. I have my old 8 gig card if I ever want to try us stuff but I havn't had a need yet.

Like I said earlier they should have warned people they were doing this. Its a bit of an unfair move on them, but really we are talking about a fraction of a % of people who will notice / care.

Not buying a vita because of it is very extreme lol. The retail carts are still not region locked and prob cheaper for the most part.
You can't dictate value for other people, so stop trying.

Average fan won't notice, hell, I'm pretty hardcore and I won't notice. This is confusing and I'm not sure why they did this.

Also, thanks for explaining to to me!

Jawmuncher

Bad move Sony...

To think that if you would've told me three years ago region locking would be a thing again now I would've laughed so hard. And look at the 3DS and Vita now...

Any chance of Sony changing this in the future?

I still hold hope if the outcry is loud enough.
But cause there is absolutely NO reason for them to implement this.

Top Bottom