• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naruto Shippuden |OT| The Filler Chronicles (Anime Only! No manga spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just going to drop this here... please do with it what you will:

DEjqh.jpg

From the most recent episode of ROCK LEE

It made me laugh!

This whole arc's rubbing me the wrong way. The bad art and animation, we're back at the first couple seasons of Shippuuden at times in that regard; ugly and choppy at best. The storytelling style and amount of time being focused on each one of the legends from the past is just not right, either.

It feels rushed. "Oh, remember that legendary dude with the salamander that we kept hinting about? Here's his life story, all his history with the character we've brought on to fight him, and now he's defeated. Next up..."

It's so hollow, like an excuse to fill in the gaps with the backstory and drag out the series some more with the least amount of effort or consideration possible.

EvilLore watches Naruto? O_O

Rorschach

Guilty pleasure! Been watching it since it started, can't quit now ;b

You can always quit. It's never too late.
This shit hasn't been good since the first Naruto/Sasuke battle.
If you need closure, read the manga... even though that got pretty ridiculous too. At least it's not 30 minutes of filler and bad animation! 3 minute read. :p

Desmond

You can always quit. It's never too late.
This shit hasn't been good since the first Naruto/Sasuke battle.
If you need closure, read the manga... even though that got pretty ridiculous too. At least it's not 30 minutes of filler and bad animation! 3 minute read. :p

I disagree, I would rate the H&K arc and the Pain arc as two of my favourite of the whole series.

Naruto is the absolute worst in fillers, but when it comes to how the fighting is choreographed, nothing comes close in Shonen anime shows.

They always establish the rules of each fighter (strengths, weaknesses, abilities...etc) as the fight goes on, and the hero wins/loses not by a magical power that we did not know was there, but often by utilizing strategy while obeying the previously established rules.

You never feel cheated when the a fight reaches the climactic end.

One Piece beats Naruto in every aspect EXCEPT this one. When Luffy randomly goes "Gearo Secondo" for the first time, with literally no time to train since the last fight, it kinda pissed me off. Granted, I only watched the anime.

Diablos54

Naruto is the absolute worst in fillers, but when it comes to how the fighting is choreographed, nothing comes close in Shonen anime shows.

They always establish the rules of each fighter (strengths, weaknesses, abilities...etc) as the fight goes on, and the hero wins/loses not by a magical power that we did not know was there, but often by utilizing strategy while obeying the previously established rules.

You never feel cheated when the a fight reaches the climactic end.
WHAT!? Maybe in Part 1, but in Part 2 it's been all RASENGAN! and MAGIC EYE ATTACK!

I disagree, I would rate the H&K arc and the Pain arc as two of my favourite of the whole series.
Same here, also the backstory stuff involving the hidden rain, not sure whether it's lumped in with the Pain arc or not, I guess it probably is.

I've only just caught back up again on the anime, wonder if we're due an animation bump episode any time soon as so far things have been a bit sloppy, the current arc has plenty of fights but most are pretty short lived .
Despite reading the manga I can't actually remember what the next big brawl is that would be ripe for preferential treatment on the animation front.

WHAT!? Maybe in Part 1, but in Part 2 it's been all RASENGAN! and MAGIC EYE ATTACK!

I'll certainly give you sudden sharingan abilities flying almost out of nowhere or known abilities being awakened at the conveniently critical moment.
But I don't feel Rasengan isn't quite as potent as that, when it's been applied to finish off Naruto's fights i'm thinking it's been done quite well most of the time, now if we're talking about atrocious filler content then yeah it's always RASENGAN with no bells or whistles.

I tend to prefer the fights these days that take place between side characters, the part 1 spirit so to speak is more likely to carry on through them. The power game has certainly taken it's effect on the series at times which is a shame, part of the fun of Naruto to me was the fact that it wasn't reliant on flashy explosive blasts and all that "my beam is better than your beam" games of one-upmanship.
Still there's been plenty of enjoyable fights in part 2, hell even some of the ones that end with a screwy finish which is like every Sasuke fight ever.

Ep 279

Awesome filler with Kiba, Hinata, and Shino, with Kiba and Shino being just plain awesome. Loved their screen time (though what secret).

Preview:
Sasuke FTW!!!! and Deidara too!

Echoplx

Jeez I'm glad I started reading the manga, the anime quality keeps going down and then they start adding filler into already slow moving content.

The theme of the series would be better suited if Naruto wasn't the main character. Rock Lee should have been the main character.

No, hes rather overrated and Naruto SD shows just how bland having him as the focus point would be, the only actually good episodes in that is when Naruto shows up or is front and center, or we get Konohamaru, Lord Orochimaru and Kabuto. And thank goodness for the queen of punchlines herself, Tenten.

gibut

Need more Itachi imo. there are plenty of good characters in Naruto its just a matter of getting them in the right situation. I liked shikumaru alot but i feel like they made him very whiney lately. One of the things i hate most in shows is when dead people dont stay dead. the reanimation jutsu is such crap, such weak writing.

LogicStep

I don't remember this from the manga, is this filler? Either way, god damn! Shino was so badass, never seen him be so awesome before. Great episode.

LogicStep

Yes, as soon as I saw it was filler, I shut it down. These never advance the story.

I enjoy filler sometimes, like it has been done in this episode. It adds to the characters, showing more of their personalities and what if scenarios. This episode was good.

Also, wtf is going on in that preview? It's another filler from what I can tell but damn does it look like a lot of crazy stuff is going on there.

ant1532

Banned
I don't remember this from the manga, is this filler? Either way, god damn! Shino was so badass, never seen him be so awesome before. Great episode.
can't remember either. it was either complete filler or like 2 panels in the manga and they decided to make a whole episode out of it to make that money.

i only watch the anime when i have a naruto itch and the new chapter isn't out but damn, i don't know how people follow this shit. you know they really aren't doing it to make an awesome story right? the reason for filler is for money and spacing with the manga. knowing that how can you watch all this filler which is fan story quality shit? don't you have any care for the intended intentions of the creators story? i just don't get it. i would be pissed if i was him and people watched the anime and didn't read the manga. i know anything i say in this thread is playing with fire since everyone here is devotees of the show but damn, do a service to the person who conceived naruto and read what he writes!

LogicStep

can't remember either. it was either complete filler or like 2 panels in the manga and they decided to make a whole episode out of it to make that money.

i only watch the anime when i have a naruto itch and the new chapter isn't out but damn, i don't know how people follow this shit. you know they really aren't doing it to make an awesome story right? the reason for filler is for money and spacing with the manga. knowing that how can you watch all this filler which is fan story quality shit? don't you have any care for the intended intentions of the creators story? i just don't get it. i would be pissed if i was him and people watched the anime and didn't read the manga. i know anything i say in this thread is playing with fire since everyone here is devotees of the show but damn, do a service to the person who conceived naruto and read what he writes!

Well I dunno about others but I read the manga every week, never miss one. The reason I follow the show is because watching what I read, animated with music and all the good stuff that come with the medium is just awesome (remember that Pain and Naruto fight?). I enjoy some filler, not all (see all the bullshit they did in the original Naruto), like today's episode. For example, one or two episodes of filler are usually cool. I don't like filler arcs, that I don't like, most of the time the quality is terrible (like the Bount arc in Bleach and the.. the one with the scientist as the main bad guy and the sword girl, that was pretty bad). If they were done with the same quality as the canon content then I wouldn't mind, but that isn't the case in most situations.

i only watch the anime when i have a naruto itch and the new chapter isn't out but damn, i don't know how people follow this shit. Neither do I. you know they really aren't doing it to make an awesome story right? I know. the reason for filler is for money and spacing with the manga. Believe me, I know. knowing that how can you watch all this filler which is fan story quality shit? Because there can be good parts. Like Naruto pissing on Ino. don't you have any care for the intended intentions of the creators story? Sure, but I don't see how watching the fillers affects that. i just don't get it. Awww. :( i would be pissed if i was him and people watched the anime and didn't read the manga. I do both since like, 2002 or something. i know anything i say in this thread is playing with fire since everyone here is devotees of the show but damn Feel free to ignore them., do a service to the person who conceived naruto and read what he writes! It's not like Kishi is consistently good.

Added boldies.

I like when the anime have fillers. Often it gives screentime to characters that dont ever get much of a presence due to plot in the manga. For Naruto it worked really well as some of my favorite moments for characters have been their fillers. For part one lots of those arcs in that hundred or so episode stretch of filler were great for Naruto and just interactions with Kiba (love when the two are on the same team, their like bestfriends if Sasuke was out of the equation) or even with Hinata) or we get some really good arcs like the star jutsu one, one invading a hideout, and getting Anko in action. Ones in Shippuden have been good too and like this last episode more screentime for Kiba is good to me, and a few in the past with giving us more flashback sasuke naruto interaction. I also have bought all the dubbed episodes, I dont know, guess Im in the minority who just love every episode of the anime.

7he Talon

I read the manga and I'm up-to-date, but I haven't watch Naruto since the Naruto vs. Pain arc. Where is the anime up to these days?

Next ep is filler? I thought sasuke vs deidara part 2 was in the manga

Unless im dreamin

Based on the last current event in the anime, either that scene is a flashback sequence or its filler as based on the manga, I didnt see such an event, well at least for the next ten or so corresponding chapters to the manga/anime. Isnt Sasuke still recovering anyway?

GlassBox

Banned
Based on the last current event in the anime, either that scene is a flashback sequence or its filler as based on the manga, I didnt see such an event, well at least for the next ten or so corresponding chapters to the manga/anime. Isnt Sasuke still recovering anyway?
The best explanation I've seen regarding next episode is that the "Sasuke" seen is just another White Zetsu Clone sent by Kabuto to "infuriate" Deidara so that he'll finally start fighting with zeal as opposed to not taking things seriously which got him captured to begin with.

And yeah, the episode is filler, though from the preview at least it'll be animated well (think I read one of the Animation supervisors from Bleach will be working for the first time on Naruto here), and Mifune is looking cool, as opposed to his battle with Hanzo which was awful.

Ep 280 Preview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qJ3kx3gA9M

The best explanation I've seen regarding next episode is that the "Sasuke" seen is just another White Zetsu Clone sent by Kabuto to "infuriate" Deidara so that he'll finally start fighting with zeal as opposed to not taking things seriously which got him captured to begin with.

And yeah, the episode is filler, though from the preview at least it'll be animated well (think I read one of the Animation supervisors from Bleach will be working for the first time on Naruto here), and Mifune is looking cool, as opposed to his battle with Hanzo which was awful.

Ah Im excited! Bleach always had good fight animations.

GlassBox

Banned
It seems the Bleach AD working on the Deidara episode is Masaya Onishi. His most recent work was the second to last episode of Bleach (Ichigo vs. Ginjo) and he also worked on the Naruto Road to Ninja film.

So yeah, the next episode should have pretty good production values.

ep 280

Well Deidara always needed more and needs more screentime and Zetsu, although weak is kind of cool for his partner. I did like seeing Sasuke
even if it turned out to just be a substitution jutsu of sorts

Preview:
Konohamaru ftw, but please dont be only focused on the moms :/
Hopefully the last of the fillers.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I think I've finally had it with this show. And how about that, it took me exactly 500 episodes.

It's the filler. I can't do it any more. I made it week by week through the great filler age at the end of the first series even, and I tried my best to integrate the filler arcs over the last few years into my personal canon, "yeah it's good that they explained this... yeah."

BUT NOPE. Can't do it any more. It's the series-wide pacing. The build up to events then the total diffusion of urgency. It's just too damaging. It makes me crazy.

I blame Bleach. When the anime ended I was forced to go read the manga, and while wow that manga is SLOW thanks to its low panel density, at least it's always going somewhere. It's made me more open to reading one of these mangas instead of keeping only to the anime.

I think my last holdout will be One Piece. While its one-chapter-per-episode pace means it's stretched way the hell out, and it never feels like it's getting anywhere any more, I think I'm just too attached to the music and voices. Doesn't help that the manga's really hard for me to read, just so much crap packed in each panel, so DENSE.

SykoTech

I liked that last couple of episodes, even if they were filler. I certainly prefer this style filler to completely random crap (Road to Sakura) or entire seasons of filler. Plus Kurotsuchi is pretty awesome.

Next episode looks bad though.

Dereck

I think I've finally had it with this show. And how about that, it took me exactly 500 episodes.

It's the filler. I can't do it any more. I made it week by week through the great filler age at the end of the first series even, and I tried my best to integrate the filler arcs over the last few years into my personal canon, "yeah it's good that they explained this... yeah."

BUT NOPE. Can't do it any more. It's the series-wide pacing. The build up to events then the total diffusion of urgency. It's just too damaging. It makes me crazy.

I blame Bleach. When the anime ended I was forced to go read the manga, and while wow that manga is SLOW thanks to its low panel density, at least it's always going somewhere. It's made me more open to reading one of these mangas instead of keeping only to the anime.

I think my last holdout will be One Piece. While its one-chapter-per-episode pace means it's stretched way the hell out, and it never feels like it's getting anywhere any more, I think I'm just too attached to the music and voices. Doesn't help that the manga's really hard for me to read, just so much crap packed in each panel, so DENSE.
I tried to re-watch Bleach from start to finish, it goes without saying that it was nearly unbearable. I don't understand how I was able to watch 100 episodes of Bleach so long ago without getting intolerant of fillers, flashbacks and whatnot.

I tried to re-watch Bleach from start to finish, it goes without saying that it was nearly unbearable. I don't understand how I was able to watch 100 episodes of Bleach so long ago without getting intolerant of fillers, flashbacks and whatnot.

Bleach is fun to rewatch, did it twice, and Naruto about eight or so times. Fillers can be cool and just fun listening to when certain music was used.

GlassBox

Banned
October schedule is out:

October 4: 282. Hidden Story: The Ultimate Tag-Team!!
October 11: 283. Two Suns!!
October 18: 284. Kabutowari! Akebino Jinin
October 25: 285. Scorch Style User! Pakura of the Hidden Sand

282 and 283 are both manga material. 284-285 are filler involving one of the Seven Swordsman and one of the bloodline limit users who were fighting Kakashi.

Dram

Can someone explain why long running anime don't go on breaks like Gintama did? That way there wouldn't be any need for filler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom