• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 3 |OT| Ninja Dog Revengeance

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
My rental arrived.

Wow this is... bad. Like.. i couldnt understand the gravity of how bad just from video. Its dead jim... do I even bother going all the way through...

My rental arrived.

Wow this is... bad. Like.. i couldnt understand the gravity of how bad just from video. Its dead jim... do I even bother going all the way through...

Do it. Go all the way. Feel the game inside you. Let it's terribleness flooooow through you until it's all over.

Only then, will you truly understand

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
My girlfriend was watching, sometimes she can be drunk in by the 'cinematic experience'. One wall climbing segment later and she simply said "This is terribad. I'm out" and left the room.

At least twice the camera has locked into place with a goon standing in the foreground right in front of Hayabusa, just watching. So I can't see shit. But thats okay because X X X X X X X X X X X maybe Y Y Y nah more X X X X X X X X X X.

Yea, this is how the SoB is meant to be used. Too bad the game actively tries to teach you how to use it improperly. You have to either figure it out for yourself or read about it online (I didn't notice until the tail end of my MN run).

Oh well, at least I'll be fully prepared for Ultimate Ninja, whenever that comes out.

What system are you on and if 360 what is your GT? I am definitely up for doing missions with people.

I'm on the 360. GT is NHK iconoclast.

Victrix

*beard*
So like...is this going to be the end of the franchise? People don't usually volunteer themselves to get burned twice.

NG2 was a flawed masterpiece that burned a lot of people with frustrating difficulty, camera, and other issues

NG3 is a flawed flaw

So you alienate one set of buyers with the second game

And then you alienate all your hardcore fans with the next one

Team Ninjadog: Damaging my favorite series beyond repair. Now that they've ruined Metroid and NG, maybe they can collaborate with Respawn on their new fps!

luka

Loves Robotech S1
NG3 is multiplatform.

NGS2 was a ps3 exclusive.

NG2 was a 360 exclusive.

So basically NG3 had about a 50% reduction in sales

Not only was NG2 an exclusive on a dead system, it was rated Z, which means even more limited sales. 24k was pretty damn good.

Peff

Not only was NG2 an exclusive on a dead system, it was rated Z, which means even more limited sales. 24k was pretty damn good.

Yeah, looking back NG2 did some crazy numbers all things considered. 372K competing against MGS4 is not bad at all. Pretty telling of how good NG1 was.

Jigsaw

Banned
my copy arrived,wow,it really is SO bad

started on hard right away and the first arena pissed me off already,wave after wave after wave of enemies,omg who thought this would be fun?add in the rocketlaunchers that take of 30-40% of your health with 1 hit and you are set for a lot of frustration

next arena,game goes into slow motion mode already and the controls were not responding at all

made it to the mask boss and died like 20 times because of his cheap (cheat?) grabs,i've never seen that before in a ninja gaiden game,i see his attack coming,i dodge,but ryu isn't moving at all!!he just stands there waiting for the grab,boom,50% health gone...and i can't even see how close to beating him i was because they removed the friggin health bar

i always defended hayashi but this game is broken in a way that they can't even fix it for the black/sigma/vita or wiiu rerelease,it only consists of arenas and corridors with quick time events,it's not fun at all

Yea, this is how the SoB is meant to be used. Too bad the game actively tries to teach you how to use it improperly. You have to either figure it out for yourself or read about it online (I didn't notice until the tail end of my MN run).

Oh well, at least I'll be fully prepared for Ultimate Ninja, whenever that comes out.

wait...how do you use it? there's skill to it? I felt like there were times I was getting it consistently and other times when it wouldn't work. stopped playing before I felt like messing with it more lol

also, from the vid...i'll just leave this here:

muCiU.png

danmaku

I wonder how much control he actually had over the project vs. Tecmo telling him to make a cinematic, story-intensive, more casual action game ala god of war.

Itagaki had sway at tecmo to take all the time in the world with his games, but then they got eaten up by Koei, and we know the affect corporate buyouts can have on franchises.

Yeah, I think that Tecmo has a big role in the new direction TN took with NG3. Hayashi delivered what they asked him: a simpler game for a wider audience. Too bad they totally misunderstood what the general public wants from an action game.

I think that Ninja Theory will do much better in this regard: great art direction, great graphics, 30 fps (casuals don't even notice the framerate, why push for 60?), an interesting story (at least, less stupid), and a mash-friendly combat system with flashy moves.

At least I'm not the only one stuck on the boss in the first level. I switched to Hero difficulty and still can't get past. This game is not too fun so far. Even with the difficulty, I don't remember dying that much in a past NG game. What were they thinking with all the QTE parts and the
mist
?

Mdk7

Hey guys, you want REAL sales figures? The land of the rising sun has done us PROUD!

04./00. [PS3] Devil May Cry HD Collection <ACT> (Capcom) {2012.03.22} (¥4.990) - 43.791 / NEW

05./00. [PS3] Ninja Gaiden 3 # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2012.03.22} (¥8.190) - 29.797 / NEW

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. They know Ninja Dogshit when they smell it, and Hayashit is the smelliest one of them all! He thought he could shit on Ninja Gaiden, but everyone SHAT ON HIM INSTEAD! :D

Team Ninja Dog's new original game accomplishments so far:
Metroid: The Other M
Ninja Gaiden 3
Dead or Alive 5 <--- ????
Hayashit's such an awesome pun... With your permission i'll use it forever from now on. :p

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I think that Ninja Theory will do much better in this regard: great art direction, great graphics, 30 fps (casuals don't even notice the framerate, why push for 60?), an interesting story (at least, less stupid), and a mash-friendly combat system with flashy moves.
You know, I actually DO think that casual gamers are more perceptive of framerate issues than we give them credit for. I don't think they could actually pinpoint the exact issues or understand what's happening, but I've encountered a lot of people that seem to realize that Call of Duty feels much smoother than many other games. They often cite this as one of the reasons they enjoy it so much. It just feels more responsive.

What they don't realize is that the framerate is precisely the reason for this.

danmaku

You know, I actually DO think that casual gamers are more perceptive of framerate issues than we give them credit for. I don't think they could actually pinpoint the exact issues or understand what's happening, but I've encountered a lot of people that seem to realize that Call of Duty feels much smoother than many other games. They often cite this as one of the reasons they enjoy it so much. It just feels more responsive.

I agree, but I think this happens because CoD is (mainly) a competitive multiplayer game. When you'ree trying your best to beat your opponent, you tend to push the game to its limits, and you can notice that in some games the aim feels "better" (because the game is smoother). Action games are usually played against the CPU, and the typical player is less likely to try out advanced techniques if he can win by just mashing buttons. As long as the framerate doesn't drop heavily, he won't care.

ss_lemonade

I just noticed that you can disable the QTE prompts but in doing so, you're left blind with what to press next during a QTE encounter haha. There were times when I didn't even know I had to press something. How ridiculous is that?

rvy

Banned
I just noticed that you can disable the QTE prompts but in doing so, you're left blind with what to press next during a QTE encounter haha. There were times when I didn't even know I had to press something. How ridiculous is that?

Hayashit levels of ridiculous.

Not to sound arrogant, but I knew you could chain SoBs from day one.

Amazing use of shriken cancels though.

I think most people knew you could chain SoBs. The problem was HOW. When you do a slide -> SoB combo, the Y button pops up on screen. So naturally, you hit the Y button. But all that does is END your SoB chain, you are supposed to hit X to continue the chain. Which is completely retarded, even for someone as incompetent as Hayashi.

i thought SoB was only when you get that button mash prompt, while hitting Y when an enemy is injured is just a OT equivalent...they both called SoB?

i thought SoB was only when you get that button mash prompt, while hitting Y when an enemy is injured is just a OT equivalent...they both called SoB?

When an enemy is OT'able, he's pretty much already dead and it's too late to active a SoB. When an enemy is weak (signified by bloody clothes), you can knock him into the air by sliding into him, and hitting Y combos into the SoB.

Endo Punk

You are giving Tameem far too much credit. Nothing in Enslaved and Heavenly Sword makes me think DmC will be better than NG3.

Skilletor

You are giving Tameem far too much credit. Nothing in Enslaved and Heavenly Sword makes me think DmC will be better than NG3.

I won't even buy DmC. At least this game had a pedigree. Ninja Theory hasn't made a good game yet, imo.

I gave Team Lesser Ninja the benefit of the doubt because I've enjoyed past Team Ninja games. Can't say that about Ninja Theory.

Pie and Beans

As if this fucking terrible game with its "my arm is glowing red so that means unblockable throw, oh and btw I have a whole screens reach and theres 5 of us" shit wasn't bad enough...

I'm on this Day 7 mecha boss, and amidst its projectile spam the screen starts glitching out massively becoming nothing but a mess of white and black triangles. HAS HAYASHIT MANAGED TO KILL MY FUCKING XBOX 360? REALLY?!

Endo Punk

I won't even buy DmC. At least this game had a pedigree. Ninja Theory hasn't made a good game yet, imo.

I gave Team Lesser Ninja the benefit of the doubt because I've enjoyed past Team Ninja games. Can't say that about Ninja Theory.

You know as bad as NG3 has been with critics I would play it over Heavenly Sword any day. The title was a new IP and first gen so reviews didn't rip it apart like they did with NG3. Now imagine if HS was called DMC4. The game has been in dev time for 2 years and still the fan response is negative, any other dev would have been able to turn it around by now, just look at Deus Ex Human Revo. Ninja Theory are incapable of delivering, it's a pay check for them and it always has been. They maybe on damage control now but the truth came out when the game was announced. Tameem doesn't get the appeal of DMC and has mocked the fanbase to hell and back, likewise that phony Alex Jones. At this point the only people who will support his BS and this game are his die-hard fantards.

As if this fucking terrible game with its "my arm is glowing red so that means unblockable throw, oh and btw I have a whole screens reach and theres 5 of us" shit wasn't bad enough...

I'm on this Day 7 mecha boss, and amidst its projectile spam the screen starts glitching out massively becoming nothing but a mess of white and black triangles. HAS HAYASHIT MANAGED TO KILL MY FUCKING XBOX 360? REALLY?!
No it's just the effect of the curse on the sword travelling across dimension through your 360..
you have 2 choices :
-Continue at the risk of exposing your console to the curse
-Stop right there and seal this game

Choose CAREFULLY

My 360 red ringed while playing NG2 on Master Ninja (near the end of the game if I remember correctly). NG2 was too hardcore even for my console.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Man..i was feeling weak in the knees and almost caved due to honestly just morbid curiosity. Glad i came to the thread again before flushing 60 bucks down the toilet.

benzy

&#8704; Narayan;36474964 said:
While cool, this is nowhere near the pro replays out there for Ninja Gaiden II. The amount of stuff you can do in NG2 is insane.

Yeah, it's pretty much the same thing for 24 minutes in that Vid.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!

Bravo. If anything, casuals are even less condescending with regards to bad frame rates than core gamers are as they don't value visual fidelity more than overall smoothness.

&#8704; Narayan;36474964 said:
While cool, this is nowhere near the pro replays out there for Ninja Gaiden II. The amount of stuff you can do in NG2 is insane.

Yeah, it's pretty much the same thing for 24 minutes in that Vid.

Ryu has like 5 moves in this game. lol

And i'm a little sad that I was playing pretty much the same on normal, meaning MNM is just gonna require the same old shit with better timing. Guess I could tighten up my SoB game, but literally, that's about the only thing I do wrong so far...

oh well, i'll be bored one day and play the rest of it, eventually. I don't completely hate it...it'll serve a purpose, just not my hardcore action game needs.

I finished the game last night on Hard difficulty - and I'd have to say that overall, I enjoyed myself. There is some ridiculous bullshit in there, and it's certainly a gigantic misstep compared to NG1/NGB/NG2 - but I found myself enjoying the core combat system of SoB, UT's, OT's, Izuna's and some of the crazier combo's.

Last level was actually pretty good I felt. The final boss was a bit of a let down but ultimately a bit of relief given how frustrating the game was against certain bosses earlier in the game - I think a difficult boss may have left the game on a sour note for me. I suppose given just how much Hayashi & Co. fucked up - I think they did a decent job with the story and making Hayabusa a fucking bad ass. It was definitely cheesy and pointless, but I found myself enjoying handing out so much awesome with Ryu, even in cutscenes (mid air Jet transfer was amazing). Regent of the Mask was a bad ass - I really hope we get him as a playable (bonus) character if there is another Ninja Gaiden, or some more DLC... I'd even love to see him make an appearance in DoA5 if they could create a decent non-sword move set (He had some decent kicks and grabs, they could do it). Last cutscene/QTE on Regent of the Mask was fucking brutal.

There were a few sections on the last level that choked my Xbox to a ridiculous point. Particularly the final boss - the game basically hit single digit framerate, and I could do nothing but basic strikes as none of my button inputs were consistent enough to pull off a decent combo.

Enemy variety was a bit hit or miss. I enjoyed fighting most of the enemies and ended up having a good strategy for nearly all of them by the end of the game - something that gave me that 'Ninja Gaiden' feeling that is missing early in the game. White Alchemists are fucking crazy difficult. I think I finally had a consistently safe, quick strategy for them on the last batch on the last stage - too little, too late I guess. They gave me a hard time - particularly the suicide grab.

I tried the multiplayer today - I guess my expectations were so low that I walked away at least a little surprised. I have zero intention of returning to it - Australian Internet is doing it no favours - but I did fairly well, won a few rounds, reached level 14 or so and then called it a day. The Izuna Drop is painfully inconsistent in clan battle. I will definitely get a friend to co-op the Ninja Trials with me though and I look forward to the DLC.

I think the biggest issue for nearly any fan of the genre - is that the game is simply not as good, on any level, as Bayonetta. I guess if they placed Ryu + the crazy blood/gore into the Bayonetta combat system + enemies, I'd have a perfect game.

My suggestion to anyone that hates it and gives up half way through - stick it out. If you manage to get through Day 3 you have pretty much experienced the worst the game has to offer. Nearly everything afterwards (besides some framerate/input issues) was a much better experience in my opinion. By the end, as I finished up killing 2900+ enemies I think some elements of 'good' Ninja Gaiden had shone through and over-shadowed the tiresome QTE's and neutered Ninpo system.

I guess what this long post was trying to say was - definitely a shittier experience than previous entries, but I'll be down for a NG4.

danmaku

I'm not saying it'll be a good action game, I'm saying that Ninja Theory knows how to reach the casual audience, while Team Ninja doesn't have a clue. NT focuses on art, storyline, voice acting, presentation, all things that helps a lot in selling a game. If the gameplay is decent, DmC could do well (even if fans will probably hate it). NG3 utterly fails in all those categories. TN thought that casuals would've bought NG3 because... duh it's NG but easier? lol not enough.

I'm not saying it'll be a good action game, I'm saying that Ninja Theory knows how to reach the casual audience, while Team Ninja doesn't have a clue. NT focuses on art, storyline, voice acting, presentation, all things that helps a lot in selling a game. If the gameplay is decent, DmC could do well (even if fans will probably hate it). NG3 utterly fails in all those categories. TN thought that casuals would've bought NG3 because... duh it's NG but easier? lol not enough.

I think Heavenly Sword performed pretty good, but didn't Enslaved bomb miserably? All of the professional voice acting, presentation and story in the world cannot camouflage bad and boring gameplay though, but admittedly I thin kDMC will play pretty good. I still don't have much confidence in DMC, but I think it will at least serve as an above adequate action game and it does have brand recognition. So far, I am really enjoying NG3. I guess I went in with extremely low expectations and so far its fun despite it's flaws. Sorry folks, this isn't near a "3" imo. The game is different from the previous entries obviously, but I am not sure if that is entirely Hayashi's fault. I think Tecmo wanted to somewhat simplify the game or make it more accessible so it will each a broader audience. I heard the game has 220 moves that can be unlocked with 3 swords? Is there any truth to that? I see a move list when I hit select, but not sure how to unlock moves. The game is not THAT easy. The first boss was a formidable opponent for me considering I beat Master Ninja on both PS3 and X360. I was expecting a cake walk, but so far the enemies are keeping me on my toes. Yes, it is missing important core elements from the previous entries, but some of the new ideas are unique and interesting.

Endo Punk

I think Heavenly Sword performed pretty good, but didn't Enslaved bomb miserably? I still don't have much confidence in DMC, but I think it will at least serve as an above adequate action game and it does have brand recognition. So far, I am really enjoying NG3. I guess I went in with extremely low expectations and so far its fun despite it's flaws. Sorry folks, this isn't near a "3" imo. Yes, it is missing some core elements from the previous entries, but some of the new ideas are unique and interesting.

NT were not happy with HS sales which was above 1 million. They went multiplat for sales and Enslaved bombed, bargain bin in a month. Sold around half or less than HS.

Both titles had huge flaws but were new IPs if these flaws crop up in an established franchise like DMC you can bet the critics and gamers were rip them a new one. Plus with half the frame rate, abortion character design it's going to take a miracle for the game to sell 5 million which is what Capcom is expecting. I really see no reason DmC will be better than NG3 in sales and reviews.

Zabka

Heavenly Sword sold to early PS3 owners desperate for an action game. Not really sure how people who bought a $400 to $500 system would be considered "casual".

ultim8p00

Banned
Man this game is such a breeze on master ninja. Once you figure out how to avoid the cheap stuff you are golden.

For the Baphomet grabers, all you need to do is either xyxxx, shuriken cancel, repeat. Or you do xx->xxx. The thing about these attacks is that one teleports you and the other puts you in the air, so they can't grab you in the middle of combos anymore.

For the snake guys, you can do the same thing, allthough it's better to just do xx->xx shuriken cancel, repeat on them, and dodge grabs accordingly.

Now the combo that REALLY wreaks the Alchemist guys is Running xx, xxxy. Not sure why this combo works so well, but they almost always get wrecked by it and all you have to do is land a few hits then izuna them.

Those are really the three biggest threats in this game. Once you learn how to kill them, everything else is a cakewalk.

To make MNM even easier, they tend to spawn around a shit ton of humonculi, so just doge around until they are all close together, take out a humonculi with SOB, then chain it to kill everything.

This game is a complete joke

MjFrancis

Thanks for the tips ultim8p00. These are the things I've been looking forward to reading; people learning and exploiting the combat system at high levels of difficulty. Things like Steel on Bone chaining, shuriken cancels, invincible frame exploits... it makes sense that these things took a couple weeks to be disseminated to the masses, but given the disappointment surrounding this game I was truly wondering how many people were going to bother playing this game at that level.

kuroshiki

So, someone mentioned this on earlier, that you can activate special chain instant kill attack by:

Attack the enemy and when one is near death -> slide -> enemy bound on air -> quickly press triangle button so you can initiate chain bone-breaking attack that gives instant kill.

Does everyone know about this?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Heavenly Sword sold to early PS3 owners desperate for an action game. Not really sure how people who bought a $400 to $500 system would be considered "casual".

You cannot just buy your way into the hardcore gaming club son

Top Bottom