• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

90's PC Gaming Appreciation Thread: From Boot Disks to 3dfx Voodoo cards

Mondrian

Old school PC gaming is my pride and joy. I was heavily into the warez BBS / ANSi scene in the early 90s and worked at CompUSA during high school... I was there for the midnight Windows 95 launch, worst fucking time of my life.

Ultima VII is my favorite PC game, and one of the best CRPGs ever made.

Old school PC gaming is my pride and joy. I was heavily into the warez BBS / ANSi scene in the early 90s and worked at CompUSA during high school... I was there for the midnight Windows 95 launch, worst fucking time of my life.

Ultima VII is my favorite PC game, and one of the best CRPGs ever made.
500004166-03-01

5819223_photos-scenes-from-the-worldwide-frenzy_td0ce7299.jpg

tumblr_nmu9dh86va1r823y5o1_1280.jpg

I bet

Ivan

Amazing times. And an amazing thread, thanx OP.

So glad I was part of all that. It was very expensive, but unforgettable experience.

Remembering early days of home computers always puts smile on my face, but 90s pc gaming was really special.

Voodoo graphics and frame rate after software mode is still the most jaw dropping thing I've ever experienced .

Murdamonk

OMG... I remember going to a computer store in Downtown Montreal (Crazy Irving) every weekend to try new sharewares games....

Commander Keen, Jill of the Jungle.... Duke Nukem...

Bought my first 3dfx Canopus Voodoo card..... that was a gamechanger.....

Anyone remember BBS?

jimmypop

Banned
Awesome thread, OP! So many great memories.

I hit bluesnews.com the other week and I was shocked to find the news feed still updated.

Sad note the first: Billy "Wicked" Wilson of Voodoo Extreme died in 2005.

Sad note the second: Paul Steed - he of the Quake 2 "crackwhore" fame - committed suicide a few years ago.

Some of these personalities were larger than life to me as a 90s teen, so it's almost painful to realize there were real people behind those screens.

Awesome thread, OP! So many great memories.

I hit bluesnews.com the other week and I was shocked to find the news feed still updated.

Sad note the first: Billy "Wicked" Wilson of Voodoo Extreme died in 2005.

I put Voodoo Extreme's logo up there because it was my go to site for everything. Billy Wilson was great but was always under the weather. Then a guy named Apache was brought on to with daily posting and ultimately ran Billy out and sold it to IGN IIRC. Still can't believe Blues news is still kicking.

Fuck, Dwango. That's a name I've not heard in a long, long time.

Twas dog crap

Renekton

Won't lie, I'm glad the era is over.

- Upgrade cycles were ridiculous
- No online store, local shops overpriced
- Orchid Voodoo 1 had incorrect memory timing
- MIDI music was meow meow meow
- Only select games support your chosen hardware
- Somehow PS1 ate our 3D lunch

biteren

used to love looking at the big box PC games at Best Buy.

"Whoa! wish i had a computer to play these!"

-7 yrs old Biteren

Subscribed.

On topic, my first 3D card was a S3 Savage. And man, was it a bitch to get working under Windows 98SE. Worth it though, finally let me play the original Hitman.

Volcane

Lot of great memories there. Remember my first 3dfx accelerator card; a Diamond Voodoo card. I was awestruck at Unreal after installing it.

I don't remember that Tribes box being so big. Couldn't have been much of anything in there besides a copy of Earthsiege.

Edit: I'll post your pick.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
^ Nice. Unfortunately, I've lost majority of my physical PC collection. I can never, ever forget that Diablo 3 box. It felt so nice to go in a store and drool at large PC boxes.

Upgrade cycles don't seem anymore ridiculous now... at least not to me. But then again, I didn't own my first PC until after the release of Windows '98. The local shop thing depends on the region, for me, it wasn't so bad. But I agree that buying options are so much better now. MIDI music wasn't that bad depending on the hardware. But those early years of 3D acceleration did suck, there were no real standards, and drivers were all over the place. It took a while before OpenGL could really establish itself and stay with a universal standard, and it even took a while before DirectX became decent.

As for the PS1, I never really got the impression that it did eat "PC gamers" lunches. Quite a few PS1 games were ported over to the PC (usually better too) and there were still a lot of cross platform releases. It didn't really take that long for half-way decent PS1 emulation to show up on the PC either.

I don't remember that Tribes box being so big. Couldn't have been much of anything in there besides a copy of Earthsiege.

Edit: I'll post your pick.

I dunno, the siege related games actually had some really nice things included in their boxes. I had a I had a copy of Starsiege that came n a large box with a huge artbook and comic that chronologized the game universe. It also came with some oversized game pilot manuals.

Opps, I didn't mean to make this a double post...

Also, this is the box that I had:

That compendium book was really bad ass.

As do I. It's dead easy to describe the growing pains of the 90s though, so that should probably be left to another thread, as tempting and easy as it is to want to talk about.

fuck the 90s

AmyS

I remember seeing PCXL on news stands, althoughsadly I never read much more than the first few issues and my memory of that magazine is foggy. However I read a lot of Next Generation and often its sister magazine EDGE as well.

The second generation of 3D accelerators (i.e. Rendition Vérité, 3DFX Voodoo Graphics and NEC / VideoLogic PowerVR) seemed to have so, so much potential. Really only 3DFX fulfilled much of that potential by gaining so much mind share and adoption in the pre-DirectX era. PowerVR seemed to have equal or more promise than Voodoo, but never came through on 80% of it. EDGE magazine was more in-depth on their NEC / VideoLogic / PowerVR coverage. Pretty amazing stuff for 1995-1996.

Take a gander at these articles and tell me if you remember being really interested in the potential of NEC / VideoLogic having great arcade ports from Japanese developers (Sega and especially Namco) and the scaleability, along with its own native API.

Yet after all that wasted potential, when all was said and done, it's amazing to me that PowerVR survived and 3DFX did not. Imagination Technologies' PowerVR IP is found in every iOS device on the planet, never mind other non-iOS mobile devices, nevermind Dreamcast, NAOMI arcade games, and, PS Vita.

tioslash

Oh man...so many good memories reading that opening post. MS-DOS...Windows 95...I´ve played most of those games back then and had some amazing times! Thanks for the fantastic thread OP!

ag-my001

Ah yes, the pain and frustration of trying to make my little Pacard Bell 386 with 2MB of RAM (thanks to my uncle for the second stick) work with a boot disk to get 2 MB of expanded RAM so I could play TIE Fighter.

Those were the days.

nomemorial

Neo Member
This thread is death by nostalgia. My nextdoor neighbor had a treasure trove of PC games and that's how I experienced many of these growing up (King's Quest!), but my true obsessions were the Descent series and WarCraft II -- Battle.net practically changed my life as a kid!

Kilrathi

This thread is death by nostalgia. My nextdoor neighbor had a treasure trove of PC games and that's how I experienced many of these growing up (King's Quest!), but my true obsessions were the Descent series and WarCraft II -- Battle.net practically changed my life as a kid!

Don't forget about all the DMA and IRQ settings for your sound card !

Culex

Banned
I remember seeing PCXL on news stands, althoughsadly I never read much more than the first few issues and my memory of that magazine is foggy. However I read a lot of Next Generation and often its sister magazine EDGE as well.

The second generation of 3D accelerators (i.e. Rendition Vérité, 3DFX Voodoo Graphics and NEC / VideoLogic PowerVR) seemed to have so, so much potential. Really only 3DFX fulfilled much of that potential by gaining so much mind share and adoption in the pre-DirectX era. PowerVR seemed to have equal or more promise than Voodoo, but never came through on 80% of it. EDGE magazine was more in-depth on their NEC / VideoLogic / PowerVR coverage. Pretty amazing stuff for 1995-1996.

Take a gander at these articles and tell me if you remember being really interested in the potential of NEC / VideoLogic having great arcade ports from Japanese developers (Sega and especially Namco) and the scaleability, along with its own native API.

Yet after all that wasted potential, when all was said and done, it's amazing to me that PowerVR survived and 3DFX did not. Imagination Technologies' PowerVR IP is found in every iOS device on the planet, never mind other non-iOS mobile devices, nevermind Dreamcast, NAOMI arcade games, and, PS Vita.

It's a shame that PowerVR is mobile-only. Would have loved to see some post-Kyro boards. Guess we'll never know.

coughlanio

Before I moved to Japan, I had a pretty fantastic Retro PC setup, was great. I pretty much had a huge cache of parts I could swap out for compatibility. AWE64 Gold, Gravis Ultrasound, every version of the Voodoo line.

Let's get serious a second though, and talk about how great MT-32 MIDI is. That was the biggest game changer for me back in the day, even bigger than 3D in some cases.

fester

Banned
Love this thread. Forced me to pop open my collection of floppy disks and relive a few moments. Yes, messing around with endless IRQ/DMA settings, memory managers, boot disks, etc was a royal pain in the ass. But this was mostly pre-Internet, pre-Google and I was often forced to figure it out on my own. But god damn did it feel good when I had things working perfectly.

I remember this sound card being in my parents PC:

The Gravis UltraSound (Or at least an earlier variation on the UltraSound). Gravis was a company that was located in British Columbia Canada, and because of that a lot of the local computer shops around me would prominently display these things in their store front windows.

And then Gravis starting producing these things for Commander Keen (and other platformers that were released after Keen):
Which has probably one of the spongiest of spongy d-pads.

And then after the PS1 was released, they sold this:

Still the same terrible D-pad, but it was a little better. And it even had a connection on the back of the sound card port to chain link more gamepads. This think was pretty questionable as far as build quality went, but I still have a bunch of them.

I understand this mindset but to be fair, a lot of this was pretty much done with by the late 90's early/2000's. 80's to mid 90's, PC was the Wild West. So many competing standards and operating systems. If you check out some of the big box games from the late 80's into the early 90's, they had to be released on multiple SKUs. Amiga, C64, Apple II, IBM/Tandy and later on the Mac. And on top of that, you had to deal with EGA and VGA versions. And that's not even counting the fact that a good chunk of the industry was still using 5.25 inch floppies in the 90's. I have games in boxes from that era that had both 3.5 inch and 5.25 inch floppies. Then you had the various sound card standards.

When we FINALLY transitioned to Windows-era gaming, the 3D wars slowed down a bit and AMD broke the Intel monopoly - I still maintain that that AMD 1.4 ghz Thunderbird is the most important CPU of the last 20 years, it was really coming together. That was just around the same time that motherboards started incorporating onboard sound that was comparable to dedicated soundcards as well. By then, it was smooth sailing IMO.

There is a very brief but great period of PC gaming that took place in the late 90's and lasted probably until around 2004 and had a decline ending in 2007 with the release of Crysis where everything was coming together. I think that period gets a bad rap because all the console-centric magazines were calling for the death of PC gaming and saying it was all going to be MMO's in the future but there were some great games released during that period. A lot of modern gaming does not exist without late 90's PC developers experimenting with stuff.

1997-2000 alone:

• Fallout series
  • Baldur's Gate II - Saga
  • Diablo 2
  • Falcon 4.0
  • Freespace
  • Curse of Monkey Island
  • Blade Runner
  • Counter-Strike
  • Half Life
  • Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament - remember the endless debate on forums and USEnet back then about which was the superior game?
  • Tribes
  • Planescape Torment
    etc.

That was also the last time in PC gaming where simulators - space, racing, flight, "mech", military etc. were really a driving force in PC gaming. They still exist today but they are on a weird niche of the gaming industry. Nobody in the mainstream gaming press covers them really - except maybe as a joke, but there are still forums and peripherals that are dedicated to keeping the sim genre alive. I think it's definitely one of the most significant losses for PC gaming that the simulation subgenre just sort of went away when all the companies decided to start chasing that console money.

PC mods in the 90's as well were top notch. Like Counter-Strike layed the groundwork for a lot of modern FPS' when you think about it: Limited weapon selection, round based multiplayer, an RPG-ish system of progression (money).

That 80's and early 90's era of PC gaming was great but it came with a lot of baggage IMO. Once you hit the late 90's - I honestly don't think any one console or era of computer gaming rivals the output of late 90's to mid 2000's PC gaming.

GuyKazama

I started gaming online in the '90s (or late '80s, can't remember). At the beginning, it was mostly on Prodigy (there are not many screens of the service on the Internet):

Someone has been trying to unarchive data from the service, but they haven't had any new updates since 2014. http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2014/07/where-online-services-go-when-they-die/374099/

MadMaze has been recreated online, but requires IE (ick)
http://www.vintagecomputing.com/madmaze/

If you have the STAGE.DAT cache file in your 20 year old Prodigy installation, you can pull images out of it using these tools: https://github.com/jim02762/prodigy-classic-tools

I was actually the first of my friends to get a proper 3d card. It was a Voodoo 3 PCI, 12 megs I think. I still have it in the closet.

I had drooled over screencaps on accelerated games online, and poured over reviews. Not sure why I went voodoo 3 instead of ATI or NVidia though. I think it was due to the hype form the voodoo 2 line which had dominated till then.

First game I tried it on? Half-life of course! I had previously been playing it software, and was blown away by it after the install.

Shaneus

Surprised about the lack of Star Control 2 love! Box art was epic as shit:
Star_Control_II_cover.jpg

Best looking 3D game I ever remember playing with our 2x Voodoo 2 8MB SLI setup was Powerslide. How they got this running so well on such (comparatively) shit hardware like what we were running at the time (Pentium 133) was fucking ridiculous.

And it was released on GOG a few years ago!

I loved pod (by Ubisoft) as well, was in a similar vein. Bought it cheap at a swap meet because it was frequently packed-in, but realised later that it was for MMX-only and wouldn't run on our 133 :(

Shaneus

And speaking of graphics card box art... This is the first videocard I bought right here:

geforce256box.jpg

GeForce 256 with 32mb of RAM. The box itself was hilariously bad and over the top 90s, but the card was great.
I was going to say, I thought 32MB of RAM for a GPU back in the 90s was almost too much... and it turns out that card came out in October '99. So you just scrape in there, buddy! ;)

TSM

OP forgot to mention that we had at least 3 competitors for x86 CPUs. In addition to Intel and AMD we also had Cyrix. These CPUs actually outperformed Intel pretty significantly at one point.

Justinh

This game was the Crysis of its day

5yrDlsT.jpg

Was following in the footsteps of this game and its sequel.

yzrVCeE.jpg

I loved the Wing Commander series. Strike Commander... not as much, but I still had fun playing it.
I don't see any love for it, so I'm just going to say I loved the old Syndicate games. I think I liked the first game more, even after the second one came out, but I remember really appreciating being able to rotate the camera in Syndicate Wars.

Mashing

Good lord.. the 90's were awesome.

I was big into BBS's (Trade Wars 2002 for LIFE!). I had a 2400 baud modem with my stupid old Mac LCIII or something. I couldn't even do ANSI graphics.

My vice was L.O.R.D and Barren Realms Elite and Solar Realms Elite. Good times those were. I also probably played about 80% of the game in this thread. My first computer was a Tandy 1000 RL (an 8086) that I played Command HQ a ton on.

SRG01

Wow, I remember using the second phone line just so I could 56k into my service provider and telnet into a MUD in the 90s...

I was going to say, I thought 32MB of RAM for a GPU back in the 90s was almost too much... and it turns out that card came out in October '99. So you just scrape in there, buddy! ;)

Yeah, I remember buying this card during the same week that I purchased a Dreamcast. But it was at the end of '99, Before this I had an ATi Rage Pro 64 with 4MB of RAM, Going from that to the 256 was crazy.

Top Bottom