• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Peter Dinklage in Bungie's Destiny - That wizard came from the moon

He sounds completely bored and it shows.. I can't imagine how much Bungie and Activision paid the dude because it wasn't worth it at all.

Horrible performance.

He sounds awkward at times, but I'm going to hold out and see if he develops over the course of the game. It would make sense for him to start out sounding the way he does, but then gradually turn into something a bit more interesting if he hasn't really interacted with humans before the start of the game when he finds your character.

OsirisBlack

Banned
There are a few other narrations in the game done by Lance Reddick and he does a much better job. Most of the voice work in this game is pretty shoddy hoping its not final.

I don't know why people are claiming that he's supposed to be lifeless when he clearly has personality quirks based on his dialogue. Either his dialogue needs to be more robotic to match the performance, or the performance needs to be more animated to match the personality. At the moment he just sounds monotone during moments where he's supposed to be humorous or frightened.

That's the thing, he's got real emotional responses like "*gasp* its the hive!" and yet he completely fails to sell that. None of his humor lands, or his shock, or his tense moments "I'll work faster". Nothing works about his performance as it is.

Watch his appearance on the Daily Show... He's pretty much playing himself which goes to show he was absolutely bored with the role.

Asbear

Banned
Most overrated actor of the century.

Yes. This so much. I really like him in GoT and I love his character Tyrion, but that scene which won him an oscar or whatever it was made me go "really? That's it?" and I think maybe the vote went to him because they liked the script and didn't realize that it was good because of that and not really the acting... or maybe it's because he's... well, little and a decent actor at the same time. I dunno, and sorry if that was offensive. I don't know how else to put it :-s

Sounds like an emotionless robot companion so it sounds exactly as it should to me. What should he sound like? "Hey dawg, we gotta go kill dem Wizards and take der juice!"

NO. compare him to other emotionless entities in gaming and film. The performance sounds half assed as is. A mild synthesizer thrown in might help quite a bit.

He sounds awkward at times, but I'm going to hold out and see if he develops over the course of the game. It would make sense for him to start out sounding the way he does, but then gradually turn into something a bit more interesting if he hasn't really interacted with humans before the start of the game when he finds your character.

If the single player portion of the game runs at least 20 hours...I don't want to hear him for 20+ hours. Imo he's simply annoying when I pull him up.

Raide

He sounds completely bored and it shows.. I can't imagine how much Bungie and Activision paid the dude because it wasn't worth it at all.

Horrible performance.

I don't think an A.I guide robot really gives a damn about the meat-sacks he guides around.

Could they have picked a more interesting or quirky voice? Yes sure and then people would moan it sounds like Guilty Spark. The voice is perfect for a robot sign post that just gives you information, I don't want feels from it.

bidguy

Banned
Yes. This so much. I really like him in GoT and I love his character Tyrion, but that scene which won him an oscar or whatever it was made me go "really? That's it?" and I think maybe the vote went to him because they liked the script and didn't realize that it was good because of that and not really the acting... or maybe it's because he's... well, little and a decent actor at the same time. I dunno, and sorry if that was offensive. I don't know how else to put it :-s

that was an emmy

I think it's great. It sounds different. It's like an AI that is supposed to sound almost human, and it comes off that way. Fits the tone of the game nicely. I hope in the full game you can put dinklage in your PS4 speaker a la transistor/merc kings. It would add some cool immersion.

I said it before in the impressions thread, but it seems to me like the fault lies with the voice over director, because even Lance Reddick's lines sound hammy. It's like the director was afraid to actually direct their star talent.

It has nothing to do with a voice filter.

I still think it sounds passable. Everyone is making it out to be the worst voice over work ever done. Hire the op bungie. Let's see if he can do better.

Oh, this lazy shit again. Yeah, I guess we aren't allowed to criticize bad food at a restaurant if we aren't a talented chef. We can't criticize a bad movie if we aren't an award-winning film director.

Stimpack

It's really terrible. Some people say that it's placeholder, but why would you have Dinklage doing placeholder work? Wouldn't you just pass it off on a developer or something?

Hire the op bungie. Let's see if he can do better.

Ugh.... seriously?

Zeliard

Given the quality of the lines people are quoting in here, Dinklage was probably just staring down at his script in embarrassment.

WarpathDC

51044159.jpg

Ovid

I only played the game for about 15 minutes but his lines sound very forced and unnatural.

I'd give him a rating of "Average".

I still think it sounds passable. Everyone is making it out to be the worst voice over work ever done. Hire the op bungie. Let's see if he can do better.

Bungie wants to hear negative feedback more than they want to hear positive ones. These kind of comments wont help improve Destiny.

I think you are looking too deep into this. It's plausible that his acting gets better as the game progresses, but that excuse sounds like a PR spin.

Gold_Loot

I think it's fine honestly. He's voicing an AI ghost so the monotonous tone fits well . I think it's rather soothing actually.

Yeah that's pretty offensive. So they took his height into account when judging the acting in the scene? Pity Oscar? I think his performance in the game is being held to everyone's ideal of what an AI should sound like or AI they have liked in other games and media. He sounds robotic, and the hive line people harken back to seems more out of disbelief than disinterest.

KorrZ

Sounds completely monotone and uninteresting. Like he is just straight up bored.

That was honestly the most jarring thing for me the first time I played last night. I expected WAY more from one of the best actors on GOT :\

I am worried about Destiny. A lot of people have a lot of faith in this game but I am genuinely worried about the quality and long-term prospects. Supporting the game for 10 years? WoW, I believed it even back in 04, but this.

To truly make a 1000 hour journey you need so much more than just a good good game. Plus we haven't seen the competitive side, we haven't seen the raid side. We don't even know how serious the social and community side of it will be.

Planetside 2 is a really well made game. It's massive, it has great support, good graphics but people just didn't stay.

Given the quality of the lines people are quoting in here, Dinklage was probably just staring down at his script in embarrassment.

the writing isn't great either, true. I didn't think we're allowed to say "I've got a bad feeling about this!" in total earnest outside Star Wars parodies

Gestault

I am worried about Destiny. A lot of people have a lot of faith in this game but I am genuinely worried about the quality and long-term prospects. Supporting the game for 10 years? WoW, I believed it even back in 04, but this.

To truly make a 1000 hour journey you need so much more than just a good good game. Plus we haven't seen the competitive side, we haven't seen the raid side. We don't even know how serious the social and community side of it will be.

Planetside 2 is a really well made game. It's massive, it has great support, good graphics but people just didn't stay.

If it makes you feel any better, the few hours I've dug into the beta alpha have been totally rad. Good combat, good environments, good scope.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I've played the first mission in the game and it sounds like he is just phoning this in.

It's terrible.

It's terrible. Might just be the worst VO director in the world, might be that they're inexplicably aiming for a terrible, stilted performance, who knows. But it sucks, to a distracting degree.

rObit

Banned
Yeah it sounds pretty bad in its current state. Not sure if they directed him to sound emotionless like a robot or if he was just that bored. There's no reason that they can't make it work for the final product, either by processing the voice somehow or by adding context through the story, but in the current state he just sounds bored.

9 times out of 10 it's a waste of money to hire a "name" actor for games, it ain't gonna shift one additional damn copy. This fucking industry

Dartastic

I like Peter Dinklage but he sounds like he doesn't give a fuck.

"Oh no, the Hive!!!1"
Yeah. I heard that line and almost broke down laughing. He's not TERRIBLE most places, especially if he's supposed to be a emotionless robot thing, but there... yeah. Pretty bad.

Is this a sign of Marty's absence? I know he was involved in direction of the halo voice actors.

I think its okay but they're trying to go for a male cortana thing and its not really working.

Top Bottom