• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania - Special Stages, Bonus Stages, & Time Attack Shown Off

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really go in for reviews, let alone review predictions, but I have a hard time seeing people disliking this game.

Outside of maybe the "NNYGHHHH IT'S NOOOOTTTT MARIOOOOOOO" people.
-10% for being a retro title
-5% for "it's not mario"

85 MC, put it on the board

Guess Who

Banned
speaking of the CD and Mania OPs, I'd like to believe this was a deliberate nod

e14nxKA.gif

TAfqbeD.gif

Ein Bear

There's bound to be one too many "Classic Sonic was never good to begin with" edgelord reviews ruffling feathers. I'd advise not getting too invested in the critical reception and just enjoy the game on it's own merits. Review Threads are the path to madness on all games.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
For the record, no one has 100% Sonic Mania yet. The '100%' I think is someone taking a certain thing to be '100%' when that's really not 100% is all I'll say.

There's bound to be one too many "Classic Sonic was never good to begin with" edgelord reviews ruffling feathers. I'd advise not getting too invested in the critical reception and just enjoy the game on it's own merits. Review Threads are the path to madness on all games.

Agreed. Of course I want to see Sonic Mania review really well because I think it'll help sales, but if there's too many dumbass reviews out there, I'm gonna bail from checking the review thread/Metacritic lol.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
lol feeding the ol' persecution complex already guys?

Sonic fans just are used to it even by entries fans generally love.

punishedsonicfans.jpg

This said, I suspect from being spoiled like hell and what Mania is that it'll review quite well actually.

dlauv

Expecting mid-80s, especially if the stream I saw is the final build.

Hoping for it to break 90 though. That would be so sick.

I'm expecting in the 80s.

Look out for reviews at 4PM GMT. Sonic Stadium are reporting embargoes lift then

Today???

Edit: oh, gmt.

Chao

60 metacritic

"Too short"
"Bad graphics, looks like babbys game"
"Can't see the enemies ahead of you!"
"Doesn't play like Mario"
"Sonic was never good"
"Not enough RPG elements"

ya'll are crazy for expecting bad reviews just cuz this is Sonic. The game clearly looks like a high quality product, and good Sonic games (e.g. Generations, Colors, Sonic Advance, etc) tend to get good reviews. Bad ones (e.g. almost every other game in the series aside from the classics) tend to get bad reviews.

If this game is as good as it looks, expect to see 8s and 9s thrown out. Hell, the media tends to have a bias towards 2D Sonic regardless of quality; look at Sonic 4, Episode I has a friggin 90 or so on metacritic, doesn't it?

History, and the media, will look kindly upon Mania. I anticipate good reviews, and good sales, for this game. What I'm hoping is that SEGA will then give the Mania team a higher budget to work on something a tad more ambitious for their next project.

Berordn

ya'll are crazy for expecting bad reviews just cuz this is Sonic. The game clearly looks like a high quality product, and good Sonic games (e.g. Generations, Colors, Sonic Advance, etc) tend to get good reviews. Bad ones (e.g. almost every other game in the series aside from the classics) tend to get bad reviews.

Your two most recent good examples are both under 80% on metacritic.

The consensus will likely be positive, but history dictates that enough mixed reviews will bring it down for the very reasons others have outlined.

RockmanBN

If this game is as good as it looks, expect to see 8s and 9s thrown out. Hell, the media tends to have a bias towards 2D Sonic regardless of quality; look at Sonic 4, Episode I has a friggin 90 or so on metacritic, doesn't it?

History, and the media, will look kindly upon Mania. I anticipate good reviews, and good sales, for this game. What I'm hoping is that SEGA will then give the Mania team a higher budget to work on something a tad more ambitious for their next project.

Generations had a 77 and Colors had a 78. I hope for 90s' but it's better to keep expectations low and be surprised than the other way around.

Your two most recent good examples are both under 80% on metacritic.

70%~ sounds about right for both, I'd say. It's not like either are masterworks, especially when put alongside other platformers released during the same console generation. Generations is very well made and replayable, but lacking in content for a $50+ console release, and Colors has at least half of each world filled with padding and gimmicky stages.

Both are good, but not great. I say this as someone who LOVES Generations, but I'm aware of its flaws.

RockmanBN

70%~ sounds about right for both, I'd say. It's not like either are masterworks, especially when put alongside other platformers released during the same console generation. Generations is very well made and replayable, but lacking in content for a $50+ console release, and Colors has at least half of each world filled with padding and gimmicky stages.

Both are good, but not great. I say this as someone who LOVES Generations, but I'm aware of its flaws.

Generations was $40 on release. Though I think Colors was full priced.

Generations was $40 on release. Though I think Colors was full priced.

I remember paying $50 for both, but I digress.

I've been a huge fan of the series since SA2, and as much as I love many of the games that came out since, most of which are pretty damn bad, man. It seems very fair to me that games like Colors and Generations are given near perfect scores, because they're really damn flawed. As someone who played Generations likely approaching 100 hours, it does have many flaws that stopped it from being considered a classic. A step in the right direction? Yes. But did it deserve the same score as, say, Donkey Kong Country Returns? A game that has almost 3x the amount of levels, tighter/better/more precise controls, etc? I wouldn't say so.

Review scores mean nothing anyway. If you like classic Sonic games and want more, this game will absolutely be for you. Just like how Generations was for me and those like-minded to me; a game that combined the best elements of 2D and 3D Sonic games.

Expect something special made just for us, even if those not in the fanbase don't see it that way :)

RK128

I can't really be fair saying this, as I will be reviewing the game (likely posting my review later in the week; was not able to get a review copy and will be playing it Midnight on Monday when my pre-load unlocks) and haven't played it at all yet. But here is my guesses.

Average Score: 80%

Pros
  • High Production Values
  • Lots of Content
  • Gameplay and Level design strong
  • Boss Fights creatvie challenges
  • Fantastic Musical Score
  • Replay Value through unlocks and other playable characters

Cons
  • Difficulty Is Harsh Toward later in the game
  • Relies too much on Sonic's Past
  • Story isn't strong
  • Sonic's friends are playable (know that one person will use this card in a review; willing to bet money on that)

I can't really be fair saying this, as I will be reviewing the game (likely posting my review later in the week; was not able to get a review copy and will be playing it Midnight on Monday when my pre-load unlocks) and haven't played it at all yet. But here is my guesses.

Average Score: 80%

Pros
  • High Production Values
  • Lots of Content
  • Gameplay and Level design strong
  • Boss Fights creatvie challenges
  • Fantastic Musical Score
  • Replay Value through unlocks and other playable characters

Cons
  • Difficulty Is Harsh Toward later in the game
  • Relies too much on Sonic's Past
  • Story isn't strong
  • Sonic's friends are playable (know that one person will use this card in a review; willing to bet money on that)
Hah it never occurred to me that there absolutely will be some "Sonic's shitty friends mirite ololol" fuckery in the reviews. That meme has become so prevalent you even see people dumping on Tails and Knuckles.

Like "Sonic was only good when it was just Sonic and Robotnik." Oh so you mean the first game? And literally nothing else? Yeah and Mega Man was only good when there were only 6 robot masters.

The heavy use of classic stages really are the biggest problem with this game out the door, and already leaves me a bit upset that we're not getting a "full" game of new stages. However, most of the game's content is still pretty damn unique, considering:

*Act 2 of each stage tends to be a heavy overhaul of the original Zone
*Each boss you fight is, at the very least, a unique spin of an older boss
*There are more original levels in this than either Episode of Sonic 4! That's not even including the unique Act 2s of each classic revival stage.

So, out the door, even without taking into account the retro revival stages, the game will be bigger than Sonic 4 Episode I or II.

Not that anyone wanted those games to last much longer, anyway

EDIT: Just to comment on "Sonic's shitty friends," I truly do not believe anyone will call boo on either Tails or Knuckles being playable in this. People hate on the "shitty friends" for the following reasons:

*They're substantially different from gameplay expected in a Sonic game
*They usually are annoying with weird and bad voice acting
*They usually are tonally... odd, when compared to classic Sonic characters (e.g. Shadow having a "dark" past and guns, Big the Cat having fishing gameplay, etc)
*They're required to beat the game! Even if you liked Sonic Heroes, you shouldn't have to play the game 4 damn times to get the best ending. Same goes for treasure hunting, fishing, etc. No one wants to be forced to do shit that is absurdly different and more annoying than the base gameplay.

People will not call boo on Tails & Knuckles. It's very unlikely that you need to beat the game with either of game to reach the "real" final boss, and even so, they're extensions of the OG Sonic gameplay. All they do is change up the controls and give you a new way to play! Tbh, I'm actually hoping that beating the game with each character unlocks a new character, like Amy, to play as. It'd be cool if they translated her gameplay from Sonic Advance to this game; she'd be vert fitting alongside the other 3 and would essentially act as a new difficulty setting if implemented correctly.

nowarning

I can't wait. Sonic on Master System and Mega-Drive is what me and my mother used to play together, she's going in for her first cancer treatment on Wednesday so we're gonna play it on Tuesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom