• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dunkirk |OT| You can practically see it from here...home.

AndersK

Huuum. Just learned that the main character isn't played by that One Direction dude. Herpa derpa. I thought so when i watched it. I feel old.

Addi

Just saw it. Intense stuff!

One question though: what happened
to the French dude? They all looked similar...

-TK-

Just came back from the movie.

I love Nolan's movies so much, but didn't really like this one. I don't know.. I just didn't felt anything during the movie. The sound effects were awesome and it had some great scenes, but that's all. Could not care less about characters and if they survive or not. Even my two friends hated it and people around me seemed bored. I can appreciate the way it tries to be something different and artistic, but it's not something I could ever watch again.

Addi

drowned in the little boat, he couldn't reach the ladder.

That's what I thought, but my friend was sure that it was the guy who threatened him that drowned. The French guy would have been on train if he survived though. It's a shame, he seemed to be the best survivalist :p

Nolan is one of my favorite working directors but really didn't expect this to end up his best reviewed film so far. At the moments it's standing at an insanely high 97 (Especially for a summer "blockbuster") at Metacritic and 8.8 average rating at Rottentomatoes. I was actually a bit worried about this one before the reviews but now I can't wait to see it. Interesting to see Nolan try something different when it comes to the subject matter, runtime and the lack of dialogue.

I doubt this will top for me Memento which is still my second favorite movie of the century or The Dark Knight but hoping this would end up somewhere among my third or fourth favorite Nolan film. Mostly I'm just waiting to see an intense suspense filled war thriller.

I was glad it was just a movie in the end. It was actually kind of traumatic, for a movie. But like in a good way, you sometimes tend to forget that war is bad and very, very loud. All in all an incredible experience though!

DMczaf

4 more hours!

butler.png

TheFuzz

Just saw it. Fantastic film. It's the WW2 version of Gravity.

For me, it's a completely unique war film experience and something you definitely want to experience in a theatre. It's going to win a ton of awards, especially in the technical categories.

Dunkirk is phenomenal. Wow. Exceeded my high expectations. In a year filled with movies I loved, this stands far above everything else.

Best theater experience since Mad Max Fury Road. Gotta catch it again before it leaves theaters.

Michael Caine in the credits? lol

Fucking phenomenal! It really is almost completely dialogue free. Felt like Nolan's twist on a Malick movie. The dogfights were beyond glorious and again Hardy walks away with the movie with only a few lines of dialogue and a mask covering his face until the last scene. This is probably Nolan's best film and is now my favorite war movie after SPR.

I'm about to see this but I did manage to snag one of the IMAX 70mm shorts that were supposed to be for the 7 pm showing only lol

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I'm one of the biggest nolan fans on this board and i was underwhelmed. I thought the prologue in front of rouge one was the best 7 minutes i saw in theaters last year but it seems those were the best moments. It wasnt the first scene like tdk and tdkr's imax prologues, jyst a 7 minute trailer spoiling the best scenes in the movie.

It's still a very enjoyable film. Tense from start to finish. There are some decent scenes there in the middle but nothing compared to the sheer horror of hawksaw ridge and spr. I get that it's a suspence movie but there isn't much suspence either.

Incredible sound effects though. Oh and some fantastic dogfights. Still i just don't understand the reviews. This isnt his best movie. It isn't a masterpiece. It's just a very well made movie.

Lower your expectations.

Pretty good. Dialogue was a bit hard to hear. Kind of a nitpick but my print had a lot of debris and stuff near the center of the frame.

The score really did sound like Vangelis at the end.

Laws00

Okay can someone explain to me what the hell actually happened
to the kid when they were wrestling on the boat that bumped or cut his head? I was under the assumption that he cut the back of it and or got some type of mild concussion. I didn't think it was serious enough for him to die from. I didn't see much blood so I was like oh he feel its bad but not that that bad enough from him to die from

It was a very good, taught, audio-visual ride. Nolan's patented ramping tension through intercutting narrative momentum. This works very well for the first half of the film. The second half tries to keep that sense of suspended tension, but ends up feeling like it's treading water somewhat.

I certainly appreciate that it feels like a very different kind of war film. I've seen a lot of people compare it to a bunch of films I don't agree with.

If anything, the film this most reminds me of is Cuaron's Gravity. That constant sense of moving forward and forward and forward like a theatrical ride that takes precedence over character or story. It's better for it.

The score was great. My buddy found it played out, but I enjoyed what it did and thought it most effective.

The film isn't a masterpiece by any means, but it is a very impressive piece of filmmaking that feels different enough from Nolan's recent work (due to its structural approach) that it feels like something fresh from Nolan.

Oh, and the sound design of those diving planes is excellent.

Agreed 100%.
It was the thing that annoyed me the most. It was something noticeable from almost the start, having all that cut-edditing was distracting. This structure seems to exist in the movie just
for the lack of a proper twist.

I can see this movie as one of the best Nolan films. If not the best. But not my favorite.

Well put, gents. Just got out of 70mm version.

Sean C

Agreed 100%.
It was the thing that annoyed me the most. It was something noticeable from almost the start, having all that cut-edditing was distracting. This structure seems to exist in the movie just
for the lack of a proper twist.
It exists, I think, primarily to allow Nolan to pace the three different storylines throughout the whole film. Otherwise, most obviously,
Tom Hardy and the other pilot would only show up at the end

to the kid when they were wrestling on the boat that bumped or cut his head? I was under the assumption that he cut the back of it and or got some type of mild concussion. I didn't think it was serious enough for him to die from. I didn't see much blood so I was like oh he feel its bad but not that that bad enough from him to die from
there probably wasn't much blood to keep it pg13. It did seem like a tame scene to end in death but I get why

I bought tickets for 70mm and the film cut out about 5 minutes in and then they restarted in the regular version. I'm so pissed. Then I guess they were trying to fix the projector and kept shining lights from the projector room into the audience. Oh and it took them like 25 minutes to turn off the auditorium lights completely.

So pissed. Oh well. I'll go see it in digital Imax again. Really liked the movie besides the technical problems and I'm having trouble separating those feelings haha

This is a great love letter to those who had to live through such time and I really felt the general feeling that likely would have been present.

I was likely the youngest person in my screening by roughly 20+ years (I'm 25). This really felt like a war movie along the same lines as Letters from Iwo Jima. Was very tough to watch on some scenes and the end of the movie going like it did made tear up.

Laws00

This is a great love letter to those who had to live through such time and I really felt the general feeling that likely would have been present.

I was likely the youngest person in my screening by roughly 20+ years (I'm 25). This really felt like a war movie along the same lines as Letters from Iwo Jima. Was very tough to watch on some scenes and the end of the movie going like it did made tear up.

ya there were a lot of older people in the theater and funny enough they used one of the smaller rooms to show it

Holy fuck, that was amazing. I read all the "edge of your seat, white knuckle, etc." stuff but they aren't fucking lying. I'm gonna feel like a piece of shit watching this at home with crappy sound from my TV. See this in IMAX the sound was fucking insane, my mouth was hanging open for the first 40 minutes it was so intense.

If you smoke a bowl and see this in IMAX and don't have a great experience then I don't know what to tell you.

HiiiLife

Probably my third favorite movie this year and my third favorite Nolan film. So intense. Awesome production and sound design.

harry styles on that it's me or you tip lol

My understanding is he got knocked down the stairs and his head landed on the pipe causing head trauma.

Incredible movie going experience. The audio was terrifying, the audience audibly gasped at the first shot of the movie, and the editing was brilliant.

Also my theater gave away free shirts:
W5Jrvb1.jpg

Dominator

This was an experience, one thats going to stay with me for a long time.

It was the perfect length, any longer and it would have been too much. The tension and how it builds is absolutely mind-blowing by Nolan (and Zimmer).

Towards the end
when the younger guys where in that boat stowed away, every time a bullet cut through the side it was so fucking intense.
Oh my god, the sound.

I love Nolan.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
It was completely meh.
The movie never allowed itself to build up tension. The out of order sequence for the one event, did not work out at all. For a minimalist film that is relying on building up tension, never occurred. Rather, it just felt disjointed initially and once you figured out the order.... you realize you already saw the ending, some 30 minutes before it happened. So when the climax of the film hits, the film already spoiled it. For a film based literally based on surviving being winning, this did not make sense.

The other bit was, due to the multiple perspective at different times, it ended up creating needless confusion for the first half. Rather, it had a similar effect to the above complaint, where it had me more wondering where said people were at and when is it, rather than being taken in by the flick.

I have to agree more with the negative reviews, it's a gorgeous film, but a shallow experience. It's not like Gravity that gripped me and had me wondering if she would survive. Dunkirk just sort of did it's thing and went.

holy hell my ears are still ringing.. best sound ever

what a visceral thrill ride.. superbly paced and timed

I love the way this dropped right into the shit.. we didn't need some kind of hacksaw ridge bullshit love story

Saudades

I have to agree more with the negative reviews, it's a gorgeous film, but a shallow experience. It's not like Gravity that gripped me and had me wondering if she would survive. Dunkirk just sort of did it's thing and went.
Yeah I also think the Gravity comparison isn't quite apt (both being a visual/aural marvel aside). As cheesy as Gravity is sometimes, its drama is more layered and human (kinda like a Up in the Air in space - which coincidentally also stars Clooney) and I love it.

Dunkirk is more like The Martian which is more strictly a survival story based on cold, hard facts (for Dunkirk it's history and The Martian science). To be fair, at least Dunkirk is intense, whereas for the Martian (spoiler)
I had no doubt everyone would survive way before it ends
. Dunkirk also explores a range of other themes and complex emotions, but there's nothing on the level of emotional catharsis Gravity has.

My advice: Bring earplugs! My screening was too loud and I had to put in plugs in many scenes. It was annoying but I fully enjoyed the movie despite it. My boyfriend forgot his earplugs but ended up stuffing paper napkins in his ears after a while.

Quick

Banned
Dunkirk...my fucking ears man.

Saw it in IMAX (not 70mm) and I thought it was pretty good. Doesn't ever allow a break until the end, so I was on edge almost the entire time. The ticking sound amped things up even more.

I didn't expect the movie to be so light on dialogue - show, not tell pretty much. I also didn't expect the split into three stories. Made for a tense climax as each one intersected with each other.

People who didn't like the
Ferry scene
in TDK will understand the one scene I thought was needless, ineffective tension in this.

ezekial45

Banned
I'm glad to finally have more people to talk about this movie with.

Btw,
did the voice on the radio in the fighter planes sound like Micheal Caine to anyone else?

Top Bottom