• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTS games with a controller (Yes I'm serious)

So I just picked up Halo Wars on Steam, and I'd forgotten how fun RTS games can be. Now I know it's frowned upon to use a controller for certain genres but are there any other games that manage to pull off controller use reasonably well? Reason being is a don't actually have a mouse, just a stupid track pad on a $20 wireless keyboard.

Thanks

EhoaVash

Pikmin 3 is pretty damn great with regular controller ( with wii u gamepad on side table to view map) but what makes it go above and beyond is using the wii mote's gyro sensor to point and aim at the tv. soooo good. soo much great precision.

Nzyme32

I've tried some via Steam Input and it's pretty damn tedious no matter what the setup.

Only good experience I've had is with the Steam Controller. Played through both StarCraft 2 campaigns - WoL & HotS. Was great fun. Without doubt slower but in no way tedious. Certainly more challenging but very playable. Going through homeworld and Dawn of War 1 at the moment, both also good fun.

I'd pick a mouse every time, but at a TV the SC is a great choice as a compromise

Controller based RTS can be good when designed for it though. Pikmin being an easy favourite and Xcom (new obviously)

Pikmin 3 is pretty damn great with regular controller ( with wii u gamepad on side table to view map) but what makes it go above and beyond is using the wii mote's gyro sensor to point and aim at the tv. soooo good. soo much great precision.

They updated it with touch controls a year after launch as well.

In line with Pikmin there is the similar Overlord series. The first and second are on 360/PS3/PC and Overlord: Dark Legend is on Wii and uses the Wii Remote pointer.

My Little King's Story was also like Pikmin and was on Wii but didn't use the pointer. There was a Vita port by Konami that people disliked (among other things they made everything typical anime pretty). Last year there was a PC port of the Wii version.

There's also Army Corps of Hell for Vita that did not review well.

None of them are typical RTS.

DanielJr82

Brutal fucking Legend!

250px-BrutalLegendCover.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

1178682-brutmp_009.jpg

RTS, gamepad controllers and 'controls well' the all do not belong in the same sentence. I tried Halo Wars but yeah... You can't polish shit.

I wish they would just bundle a mouse, at the very least, with the console RTS games.

Tagyhag

While the controls aren't that great, I thought they were surprisingly serviceable in Tiberium Wars.

RTS, gamepad controllers and 'controls well' the all do not belong in the same sentence. I tried Halo Wars but yeah... You can't polish shit.

I mean, it does control well for an RTS that was specifically designed to be used with a controller.

But because of that, it pales to almost every RTS out there in the gameplay department.

Tom Clancy's Endwar was designed for Controller+Voice command hybrid. Since it was built with a controller in mind, it obviously works fairly well but it's kind of limited compared to most RTS games with far less micro and precise positioning. You're very "hands off" compared to most RTS.

Red Alert 3 had a console port (maybe C&C3 too... can't quite recall) but I don't think they patched console controls into the PC version. It was relatively optimized for that experience but still inferior to KB&M.

Giga Man

The original Pikmin is the best choice if you want a real challenge. You can play it on GameCube/Wii with a GameCube controller, or the "New Play Control" re-release with Wiimote and Nunchuk.

Wollan

Anno 1404 and the Wii pointer was a delight.

Endwar and R.U.S.E by Ubisoft was some decent attempts but I found the games lacking in certain fashions (and voice controls suck).

Ushay

Not strategy, but Pillars of Eternity is real time cRPG. Seems to work well enough, the only scenario where I can't see it working is multiplayer.

Ivan

65667-command-conquer-red-alert-retaliation-playstation-front-cover.jpg

8807_front.jpg

I actually enjoyed those on a controller back in the day,and I even remember it being pretty popular for local multiplayer. People used to enjoy things without questioning back then...

I appreciated the whole thing even more knowing they were actually real pc games designed for the mouse.

It felt like a hack that allowed me to enjoy them on the system I had in a "comfy couch" mode.

Later I also bought playstation mouse to play them,but only C&C supported it. Blizzard designed the whole thing around the controller, so there was no UI on the screen, just full screen warcraft 2 on a TV. You got the menus by pressing square after selecting unit. It was interesting.

RedFyn

Steam controller is your best bet. Any game should be fine, or at least as good as you're going to get, with that for sp.

Is there a reason you can't just get a wireless mouse?

Still thought EndWar was a noble attempt, using voice to deploy units, group them and give orders. You'd also see the battlefield through the eyes of your units as you moved between them. Voice control also meant that you could give specific commands (though no micro) without taking your eyes off the battle right in front of you.

Would still love to see another stab at it.

Hopeford

I've had moderate success with Total War with the Steam Controller, if that helps. It's not perfect and it definitely feels slower to play than with a mouse/keyboard, but it's maneagable. Does not work with standard controllers though.

Top Bottom