• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo has wound up with the best IQ for OS level screenshot capture

NekoFever

I don't know why some of the consoles need to heavily compress screenshots like they do. I had a plugin on my CFW PSP that would dump the buffer to a BMP file that looked perfect, and then I'd convert them to 24-bit PNG myself to save space without cutting the quality.

Even a 1080p PNG is only going to be ~2MB. It's not going to take a huge chunk of HDD space.

lefantome

There is a way to have less compressed screenshot on PS4:

send them to a friend
save them on your device using the companion app
uploade the pics

unfortunately they are already compressed.

Yeah...

Log onto Miiverse on your PC or you Mac, go to the source code and find the Image URL, Cut and Paste and download.

I wish it were easier, but I take what I can get. Getting OS level screenshots were only a pipe dream until this generation, and Nintendo is surprisingly considerate of keeping the IQ of the image as high as possible.

On Wii U you can just open the Web Browser and upload to an image sharing site (preferably one that doesn't compress like Minus.com). Native 720p, and much easier to share.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Isn't screenshot capturing on the PS4 basically gimped due to compression when being uploaded to Twitter/Facebook?

Like even if you were to upload a 1080p screenshot, it wouldn't show up as 1080p on there.

PS4 screenshots do absolutely upload in their full 1080p resolution, that's not the issue. The issue is that they get compressed by Facebook/Twitter (which doesn't mean reducing their resolution, just their quality). Here's one I uploaded to Facebook, I think it's serviceable although not exactly amazing:

ibn5MkmwiwU0Bp.jpg

Of course, the ability to get the original image files directly off the PS4 would be nicer. Hopefully that option is coming.

There is a way to have less compressed screenshot on PS4:

send them to a friend
save them on your device using the companion app
uploade the pics

unfortunately they are already compressed.

Interesting. Never thought of this. Is it possible to send them to yourself?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Interesting. Never thought of this. Is it possible to send them to yourself?

People are making dummy accounts just for that, so I would assume not.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Vita needs less compressed screenshots so badly... It seems almost damaging to Sony to misrepresent the Vita's IQ with such poor screenshot quality. Also I now need to replay all my 3DS games to take screenshots. Hhhhnnnnngggggggg

Robin64

Most of the Vita games look really impressive, but that Uncharted is horrible. Does it look like that during gameplay too or is it just how shots come out?

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Most of the Vita games look really impressive, but that Uncharted is horrible. Does it look like that during gameplay too or is it just how shots come out?

It looks better in motion but unfortunately Uncharted quite low res so there is a lot of aliasing even in motion. I find that any non-native res game screenshots from the Vita look very poor but always look at least a little better in motion

Pyrokai

This brings me to a question: How are you guys getting these photos online? I only know how to view/take them exclusively through Miiverse...

This brings me to a question: How are you guys getting these photos online? I only know how to view/take them exclusively through Miiverse...

For 3DS, go to web Miiverse and grab them from the source code. We use to be able to right click on them and grab the link, but Nintendo disabled that.

For Wii U, upload directly to an image sharing site instead of Miiverse.

I'm quite surprised by this (bolded):
Every time you hit HOME mid-game on Wii U it captures an image of the game and saves it. That's how you're able to upload them to Miiverse.

Alternatively, you can boot up the web browser instead of Miiverse, and go to abload or imgur. Then you can upload the image in full quality, just as you would on a computer. Prevents Miiverse compression and downsampling.
Does this bypass the need for NNID? Edit: Wait Wii U...derp. So I take it the same step doesn't work on 3DS...

But on 3DS Miiverse you open it on a web browser and find the image URL via the source code/inspect element feature of your browser.

NotLiquid

Tested a couple of screengrabs. Quality is pretty good indeed. I wish it supported more games though.

zlcfzroqrbq6kr-ozb7tub0.jpeg

Ace Attorney 5 looks so good its almost criminal. I know there's generally not much going on in the background but the format seriously let them go above and beyond with the character models and I'm tempted to call it one of the best looking 3DS games. I never would have imagined that a 3D AA would look so much more charming than the original 2D games, especially after how ugly PLvsAA looks.

So I decided to try out sending the photo though the friends list and downloading on the mobile app, and got some strange findings.

Screenshot on PS4: 643 KB
Screenshot on Facebook: 306KB
Screenshot downloaded from mobile app: 1,44MB (oO bigger then the source).

Comparison:

Facebook:
906874_7378376295639003un3.jpg

Mobile app:
201312101411459yud8.jpg

The only thing I have qualms with right now is that I want the ability to screenshot the following games.

Dead or Alive: Dimensions
Shin Megami Tensei IV (Although that community would become a Mara infested wasteland.)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
Harvest Moon: A New Beginning
Art Academy (Ahem. Why not, Nintendo?)
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon/Rumble Blast/X/Y
Resident Evil: Revelations
Kid Icarus: Uprising

Oh, Smash better have perfect support for the MiiVerse!!!!!!!!!!!!

Frolow

Banned
Ace Attorney 5 looks so good its almost criminal. I know there's generally not much going on in the background but the format seriously let them go above and beyond with the character models and I'm tempted to call it one of the best looking 3DS games. I never would have imagined that a 3D AA would look so much more charming than the original 2D games, especially after how ugly PLvsAA looks.

I agree. After having 6 games with great spritework, I was very skeptical when I heard AA5 would be fully 3D. Thankfully Capcom hit it out of the park and then some. The visual fluidity is incredible and the character models are simply gorgeous. I'd love to see another AA made on the same engine.

Glass Joe

By the way, I browse through the 3DS Miiverse manual and there was a page saying “You can't share videos on Miiverse because otherwise it wouldn't be a cool place for everyone” or something along those lines. I was like WTF does that even mean.

It probably isn't referencing game videos but videos in general. Everyone being able to post youtube links -- related and not related to the content -- would turn spammy.

D-e-f-

Banned
The only thing I have qualms with right now is that I want the ability to screenshot the following games.

Dead or Alive: Dimensions
Shin Megami Tensei IV (Although that community would become a Mara infested wasteland.)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
Harvest Moon: A New Beginning
Art Academy (Ahem. Why not, Nintendo?)
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon/Rumble Blast/X/Y
Resident Evil: Revelations
Kid Icarus: Uprising

Oh, Smash better have perfect support for the MiiVerse!!!!!!!!!!!!

They'll be adding communities for older games over time.

Top Bottom