• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaporak

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6FWXjB9Vs8s&desktop_uri=/watch?v=6FWXjB9Vs8s

God this ferrari's voker video that surfaced today...

Nevermind the sick SICK positioning and overall map awareness, just focus on the rotating invokes spheres / invoked spells... How can anyone think (and type) so goddamn fast? Thats some alien specimen right there...

I suck at this game

Music was probably selected to emulate this invoker video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SHMTLS5_qY
I wish invoker got played more though, much more fun to watch than most of the heroes that get picked.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Im brazilian but always say "gg hf" at the beginning of the match and try to be polite. But I know some brazilians can be jerks playing online, thats why sometimes I only queue USA West/East.
Honestly I don't really mind foreign players intrinsically, its more that I really really dislike players who don't communicate, and players from other regions have higher probabilities of, even if they are normally communicative, just not speaking the language.

If someone is Brazilian and can still speak even enough English to get across "we should group up now", "don't send Clockwerk there", etc, then I'm fine

Lotto

Oh my god Invoker is so much fun. Watching that Ferrari_430 video finally inspired me to try him out. It's like a whole new love for this game was rekindled for me when I actually gave him a shot. Naturally I tried a bot game before jumping right into matchmaking, but my first match was so much fun, can't wait to try him out some more!

http://dotabuff.com/matches/250361308

Aaron

I'm completely new to the game, and having over 100 characters to choose from seems a bit overwhelming. I assume it's like fighting games where there's no "best" character, and you just pick some that look cool and stick with them. Anyway, does anyone know some console commands to help me get a sense of the different characters? I'd like to see what their abilities are and experiment with the items (of which I also know nothing about) without playing a whole match every time. The old cheat commands don't seem to work anymore.
Just jump into full bot matches and mess around a bit. Doesn't take long to unlock first level on the skills.

Doikor

I'm completely new to the game, and having over 100 characters to choose from seems a bit overwhelming. I assume it's like fighting games where there's no "best" character, and you just pick some that look cool and stick with them. Anyway, does anyone know some console commands to help me get a sense of the different characters? I'd like to see what their abilities are and experiment with the items (of which I also know nothing about) without playing a whole match every time. The old cheat commands don't seem to work anymore.

In general you want to know how to play all the heroes just to better understand what they can do (skills, what they combo with etc. ). It's a task that will take a lot of time but once you get past the basics (last hitting, map awareness, warding, stacking, etc.) you should be good. Once you understand the general mechanics just reading the skill descriptions is usually enough to get by.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
In general you want to know how to play all the heroes just to better understand what they can do (skills, what they combo with etc. ). It's a task that will take a lot of time but once you get past the basics (last hitting, map awareness, warding, stacking, etc.) you should be good. Once you understand the general mechanics just reading the skill descriptions is usually enough to get by.

This. Yes, while dota has a lot of heroes that are all different, the core mechanics remain the same. Each hero only has 4 abilities and many have a few passives so simply experimenting and getting better game sense, map awareness, last hitting, a feel for warding, etc... will make you a better player than trying to master all the heroes. After you have the core mechanics down you can start to master certain heroes.

The two mistakes I see new players make on every hero is 1) never using their mana and 2) running back to tower at the first sign of a fight. Sometimes you just gotta man up, and in dota you want to actively use your mana at all levels of the early game laning phase, don't just sit on it.

n0b

God I love playing hyper-aggressive roaming strategies. Got a random 4 melee team, so instead of trying to lane badly, just roamed SB and Ogre. So much fun.

Hylian7

This. Yes, while dota has a lot of heroes that are all different, the core mechanics remain the same. Each hero only has 4 abilities and many have a few passives so simply experimenting and getting better game sense, map awareness, last hitting, a feel for warding, etc... will make you a better player than trying to master all the heroes. After you have the core mechanics down you can start to master certain heroes.

The two mistakes I see new players make on every hero is 1) never using their mana and 2) running back to tower at the first sign of a fight. Sometimes you just gotta man up, and in dota you want to actively use your mana at all levels of the early game laning phase, don't just sit on it.

I feel like there's an implied 3) Using their mana immediately and doing nothing with it.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Sorry to be a pain, but a while back someone posted the console command to make the map either smaller or not as sensitive to misclicks. Ikuu, I think it was. What was that command again? I'm having butterfingers lately.

dota_minimap_misclick_time

Man visage is so good in tri lanes. :D
http://dotabuff.com/matches/250449110

I really need to figure out the hero though. I think I need to play some bot matches and figure out a good way to control my birds.

When I'm playing Visage, I only get the birds on levels 14-16. I prioritise the nuke first which is absurdly strong and spammable. I only get 1 point in grave chill for chasing enemies early game. Here is my group controls:

Ctrl 1 - Visage
Ctrl 2 - Birds
Ctrl 5 - Visage plus birds

and will manually control the individual gargoyles from time to time. Always make sure your birds has their full pontential damage by turning them into stone once their base damage reaches the minimum (10 I believe). If you have scythe of vyse, it would be a reliable setup for the gargoyle's stun too.

Anuxinamoon

Shaper Divine
When I'm playing Visage, I only get the birds on levels 14-16. I prioritise the nuke first which is absurdly strong and spammable. I only get 1 point in grave chill for chasing enemies early game. Here is my group controls:

Ctrl 1 - Visage
Ctrl 2 - Birds
Ctrl 5 - Visage plus birds

and will manually control the individual gargoyles from time to time. Always make sure your birds has their full pontential damage by turning them into stone once their base damage reaches the minimum (10 I believe). If you have scythe of vyse, it would be a reliable setup for the gargoyle's stun too.

oh nice! cheers mate! I didn't realise i had to turn them to stone to restore their damage. shit.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Why do I never see you on

I mostly play in early afternoon/early evening EST when you're asleep
Kagbros have been on vacation so I haven't been able to get carried recently
I've been playing stuff I bought on Steam sale the past few weeks

Wes

venison crêpe
972054_479216175501374_1161469226_n.jpg

LGD-Girls line-up:
叶梓萱 "yoyiki.Una" (Manager)
赵洁 "Leah" (Captain)
李静媛 "Mint"
胡雅菁 "MiAO"
蒋琦 "rAnee"
姜雪 "Peach"

elyetis

1374576596-crystal.png

Feel good. Crystal Maiden <3

All those game ( except maybe 1 ) as a trilane crystal + pudge + carry.

Game lost was against a weaver + treant + adabbon + omni ( + invoker ), we got completly destroyed. ^ ^;

Btw thanks for yesterday answer about OD, I mostly play support but try to train mid sometime, and after playing OD I couldn't see anything better to mid with.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Finally finished Battlestar Galactica. Great show.

In Dota News: I am noticing the matchmaking fluctuates a lot more now than it did before the launch, putting people into matches where they clearly don't belong. Anyone else noticing a difference?

Wes

venison crêpe
Played a game where we got fountain camped for 25 minutes. They purposefully were not finishing the game. What the fuck is wrong with people.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Played a game where we got fountain camped for 25 minutes. They purposefully were not finishing the game. What the fuck is wrong with people.

Sell all your stuff and buy a shadowblade / shadow amulet / blink dagger and hide where they can't see you

When they can't find anyone anymore they'll just finish the game

BraXzy

Where's the Outworld Devourer love?

Just had possibly my best game with him. Holy sqdiufhius!

I was mid, doing OK against a Nyx, my team had a bit of a weird mix, all of them weren't doing too good, early deaths, then our clockwerk rage quit. The opposite team said GG, I said to mine play on. And DAYUM OD is insane late game.

They had earthshaker, enchantress, ursa and bounty hunter after their Nyx rage quit due to me owning him after him and earthshaker trying to get the jump on me. I tried to split push bottom in a last ditch hope whilst their team were all mid. Got killed, but managed to get some good items farmed, next thing you know, I'm killing heroes like they are creeps, and we eventually win the game. It felt so good :D Carried to hell

shira

Meh he wins his lane easily with imprison but he is totally useless for ganks and only is good late game.

Almost all other mids are more useful tot he team imo.

I think he meant the cosmetic item for OD not just Furion since most OD's get sheepstick

Does OD always go mid because he's good at it or because he needs it? His essence aura skill sounds like it would be pretty decent in a dual lane with someone like Lina. Is he considered a hard carry? I would have thought he'd have problems against magic immunity late game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom