• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anything is possible if you believe in it; RE2 remake possible

The irony of RE1.5 is that if you watch videos, it almost appears to be a full on action game, rather than survival horror. Maybe this is just the promotional aspect of the game, but there appears to have been a lot more zombies and more weaponry to take care of them. When they remade the game, they cut down on the number of zombies and likely the weaponry as well (although if RE2 has any problems, it's that it's too generous). More than ever, we might be closer to what RE1.5 might have been.

The loss of the music of 1.5 is somewhat inexplicable to me. There is one particular theme that is amazing. If Capcom were to remake the game, I wish they would extend some portion of the game and insert that track into the new or expanded area.

Muffdraul

The irony of RE1.5 is that if you watch videos, it almost appears to be a full on action game, rather than survival horror. Maybe this is just the promotional aspect of the game, but there appears to have been a lot more zombies and more weaponry to take care of them. When they remade the game, they cut down on the number of zombies and likely the weaponry as well (although if RE2 has any problems, it's that it's too generous). More than ever, we might be closer to what RE1.5 might have been.

The irony I see is that I remember them claiming the reason it was scrapped was that it was "way too much like RE1". But when I watch the videos, it looks to me more different from RE1 than RE2 was.

I don't understand the "it got stale" comments. There were certainly a lot of RE games in a very short period of time. But after 6 or so years it's crazy to just say "well this genre had a good run, time to go and do a shooter now." What?

The irony I see is that I remember them claiming the reason it was scrapped was that it was "way too much like RE1". But when I watch the videos, it looks to me more different from RE1 than RE2 was.

I agree.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGRZwypXMFg

OG RE4 looked like it was gonna be amazing. At the same time, I feel that Mikami felt like he was spinning his wheels, and ultimately RE4 was a natural move given his tendency for insane action.

BUT for those that think 4=5=6, man... this game was still dense with atmosphere, dread, loneliness, and some truly terrifying moments. The addition of a mandatory coop player by definition removes that. That's to say nothing of the fact that RE5 was just a much more poorly designed game.

An RE2 remake could shine even without Mikami though, I think. Just follow the model he established with REMake - don't rest on your laurels, add and improve.

OG RE4 looked like it was gonna be amazing. At the same time, I feel that Mikami felt like he was spinning his wheels, and ultimately RE4 was a natural move given his tendency for insane action.

BUT for those that think 4=5=6, man... this game was still dense with atmosphere, dread, loneliness, and some truly terrifying moments. The addition of a mandatory coop player by definition removes that. That's to say nothing of the fact that RE5 was just a much more poorly designed game.

An RE2 remake could shine even without Mikami though, I think. Just follow the model he established with REMake - don't rest on your laurels, add and improve.

The think I always was impressed with the cancelled RE4 is how good was Leon model. I mean look at DAT JACKET! Awesome...in some moments looks "next-gen".

Muffdraul

The think I always was impressed with the cancelled RE4 is how good was Leon model. I mean look at DAT JACKET! Awesome...in some moments looks "next-gen".

I bet the RE4 design doc stipulated from day 1 that Leon only got to wear the jacket for the first level and then it was gone for good.

Still bitter!

Atomski

I think everyone, certainly including me, has difficulty including people who don't agree with them in 'the fans'.

Oh har har.. i said fans of survival horror which the new ones are clearly not.

We can all agree the old controls sucked ass and needed work.. but unfortunately the controls we got turned it into just another third person action game. Gone was the fear of going around a blind corner and not being able to just run easily away. Yeah those controls sucked .. but they also made my heart race when I bumped into a zombie, thats gone now.

OG RE4 looked like it was gonna be amazing.

Damn never saw this before :/

Risette

A Good Citizen

We can all agree the old controls sucked ass and needed work.. but unfortunately the controls we got turned it into just another third person action game. Gone was the fear of going around a blind corner and not being able to just run easily away. Yeah those controls sucked .. but they also made my heart race when I bumped into a zombie, thats gone now.
All RE games are third person shooters/action. Survival horror is not a genre.

Also the controls are nearly the same, it's just the camera (which is a huge change no doubt, not trying to underplay how important the camera is) is different and changes the way movement/vision works.

Capcom. It's very simple. Just take the RE6 engine and use it to remake RE2. And then use it to remake REmake. Then just stop making RE games, which is what you should have done eight years ago. (i.e. RE4 should have been the first game in a new franchise, even if it was an RE spin off starring Mr. S Kennedy)
We don't need downgrades.

Daschysta

After mml3 getting tons of "fan support" and dying a tragic death anyhow fuck them. Don't know I'd like todays capcom doing it anyway, as much as i love RE2.

Atomski

All RE games are third person shooters/action. Survival horror is not a genre.

Also the controls are nearly the same, it's just the camera (which is a huge change no doubt, not trying to underplay how important the camera is) is different and changes the way movement/vision works.
You know what I mean. Old versions had dramatic camera angles and the new is locked at shoulder view like most modern third person shooters including zoom and shit to make it even easier.

Also survival horror may not be a genre but it is totally an idea thats not in the new games. Low to no ammo, being extremely weak. having to rely on running or escaping to survive and so on.

Oh maybe they do have to escape in the new ones..... in cutscenes.

Hopefully it uses resident evil 4 gameplay. I tried to play resident evil 2 and the game wasn't even playable. It's like they made the camera angle/controls as shitty as can be on purpose.

Muffdraul

BTW that's what I meant earlier- the classic RE controls *are* contextual. Pressing up always makes you go forward, but the direction your character moves on screen changes contextually depending on the current static camera angle.

Seik

Banned
YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!!

DO IT!

Oh yeah wait a moment, I was waaay too hype by the simple thought of REmake 2. This guy brought me back down on earth.

Nah, no thanks.

I still enjoy Capcom games, but I don't want to see an RE2 remake from the current Capcom. Absolutely not.

I'll be more precise:

With tank controls and fixed camera I mean, like a real remake, like REmake... exactly the same story-wise but maybe with an extra awesome part that fits well à la Lisa Trevor....Well fuck, you all know what I mean. :p

If it aint like REmake or RE0, with all its warts and art style... no dice! Capcom these days corrupts anything.

Am i the only MEGA RE-FAN not supporting RE6... heh

kunonabi

Damn never saw this before :/

The old controls didn't suck. As long as you learned your left from your right they worked just fine and are the only way to make fixed camera angles work. I seriously don't understand how people have so much trouble with them. I adapted to them immediately and if you watch speed/knife runs the controls never get in the way and players can do pretty much anything they need to. Turning around quickly was the only issue and the 180 turn fixed that.

Erethian

The old controls didn't suck. As long as you learned your left from your right they worked just fine and are the only way to make fixed camera angles work. I seriously don't understand how people have so much trouble with them. I adapted to them immediately and if you watch speed/knife runs the controls never get in the way and players can do pretty much anything they need to. Turning around quickly was the only issue and the 180 turn fixed that.

I think the most important part of making the controls work was ensuring the monster attack patterns suited them. Traditional RE controls were all about mastering the use of angles, so that once you got it down you could run at almost any enemy but angle yourself just so, running right past them and completely avoiding their attacks. It's why a lot of RE monsters used either their left or their right as their dominant attacking side, like Nemesis in RE3. And why if you got good enough you could win those fights with a pistol without being hit once.

I can't take Capcom seriously anymore which it too bad because like everyone is saying, RE2 made made in the same style of REmake would be fantastic. After far as the setting, character scenarios, and creatures go, RE2 is still my favorite, but the game hasn't aged well at all.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

OG RE4 looked like it was gonna be amazing.

That's not "OG" the "OG" verison is the Fog version that was teased in 2001 coming to Gamecube in "200X."

"(FOR GAME-CUBE) The Cradle of the Progenitor Virus (which was kinda explained in documents by Wesker and Bio5)... Leon S. Kennedy... Invading... Contamination... Possessed... Biohazard 4... Coming 200X"

You can see some of the elements they took (the Jacket, the castle with open windows scene that was lifted and put into the final Bio4) from this version and the European paintings and style from Hookman as well were brought into the final version. But as you can tell, I was hyped as hell for the Fog version since it was supposed to be the airship headquarters of Umbrella with Oswell Spencer making a HUGE appearance/impact in the game IIRC. With the art style and exploration as well, it was truly "survival horror." The Hookman is kinda similar with the Hookman being a "Nemesis" for a recurring enemy. But it was too paranormal for my taste. There was another version that I'm forgetting but yeah... I was hyped as hell for the Fog version.

Bio 4 isn't a bad game, but it also marks the point where the series started to veer away from what I enjoyed about it (dodging monsters and having a cheesy sci-fi story and a city to escape) and more into action territory. Bio3 is still my favorite of the classic so the "action" aspect doesn't bother me, but the lack of moments where you are by yourself and wondering what is around the corner and other stuff is what has killed the series for me.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
You guys need to calm yourselves. I watched this stream today and it's the same answer they gave when RE5 was released. This is not an official Capcom position

Oh no, of course not. It's only the same thing everyone from Capcom says when any question about this type of thing comes up.

That's not "OG" the "OG" verison is the Fog version that was teased in 2001 coming to Gamecube in "200X."

"(FOR GAME-CUBE) The Cradle of the Progenitor Virus (which was kinda explained in documents by Wesker and Bio5)... Leon S. Kennedy... Invading... Contamination... Possessed... Biohazard 4... Coming 200X"

You can see some of the elements they took (the Jacket, the castle with open windows scene that was lifted and put into the final Bio4) from this version and the European paintings and style from Hookman as well were brought into the final version. But as you can tell, I was hyped as hell for the Fog version since it was supposed to be the airship headquarters of Umbrella with Oswell Spencer making a HUGE appearance/impact in the game IIRC. With the art style and exploration as well, it was truly "survival horror." The Hookman is kinda similar with the Hookman being a "Nemesis" for a recurring enemy. But it was too paranormal for my taste. There was another version that I'm forgetting but yeah... I was hyped as hell for the Fog version.

Bio 4 isn't a bad game, but it also marks the point where the series started to veer away from what I enjoyed about it (dodging monsters and having a cheesy sci-fi story and a city to escape) and more into action territory. Bio3 is still my favorite of the classic so the "action" aspect doesn't bother me, but the lack of moments where you are by yourself and wondering what is around the corner and other stuff is what has killed the series for me.

The fog version was the second attempt at RE4, what eventually became DMC1 was the real original.

Anyway, I was begging for REmake 2 5-10 years ago but now? No. Back the fuck away from my good memories, Capcpom.

televator

Capcom from the past that did REmake? Hell yes.

Capcom from the present that did RE5, RE rail shooters, and on the verge of releasing what appear to be some sort of Jersey shore-afied RE6? I'm afraid....

Anustart

Would be awesome. Except theyd change it so Sherry was a full time partner, Leon would be punching boulders and twice as much ammo added onto the already generous helpings of munitions.

cvxfreak

i wouldn't mind a retelling of re2

GIbCs.png

OcyAH.png

:p

Hopefully it uses resident evil 4 gameplay. I tried to play resident evil 2 and the game wasn't even playable. It's like they made the camera angle/controls as shitty as can be on purpose.
Well RE4 gameplay would probably not work either. RE2 is deliberately slow(er) and methodical, and a remake needs to respect that.

That...is what I thought was amplified tenfold in RE4. The Sewer section + Salazar's garden provided that more than the entireity of some RE games IMO. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

quetz67

Banned
I too would vote for a strict remake instead of making it RE4 style. I think 2 and 3 worked excellent like they were and yes RE4 was a departure that was not an improvement in all regards. Not that RE must alway play in a city, but the mix of locations in RE4 felt strange.

dab0ne

This sucks. When I first read this on all the gaming sites I was so excited but my enthusiasm has given way to reality. We are being trolled.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
I didn't buy RE4 or RE5, and I won't buy RE6.

Create REmake 2 with the exact same approach you took with REmake and I'd gladly throw cash at you. Put the RE 1.5 build that's been floating around out there for years now on a collector's edition as well and upcharge the hell out of me. Anything else and don't even bother. I shouldn't even have to say this, but yes that includes tank controls and prerendered backgrounds - the only way Resident Evil should be.

Top Bottom