• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft promise a Wii U exclusive Rayman Legends demo.

Ubisoft should release the game digitally on the eShop for a month (February 26th to March 26th), and that way the hardcore fans that care can get the game when they were promised it, Ubisoft doesn't have to ship retail copies/advertise the game twice, and the Rayman Legend retail version will be out just in time for the holidays.

What about that Microsoft Policy thing? This would shut people up at least fix the hurt feelings and if it does not sell Ubi will prove they were right fans would shut up about it

CrisKre

It's what's best for the company. And while the few people who own a Wii U that intended to buy the game in Feb might feel disenfranchised, many many more gamers were probably thrilled to be getting the game on other platforms. Be an idealist all you want, that's not always a bad thing, but we just had another big development house dumped today. So I'd rather they do what they think is best for the health of the company, even if that means a handful of Miiverse meltdowns. At least they're confined to a place where no one will ever see it.
They obviously thought it being wii u exclusive was what was best before they changed their minds. Same with the feb 26 release. This business decision could very well be a bad one. Going by the response it very well may be.

test_account

XP-39C²
We complain because it is insulting... even if some people love free stuff and just giving them free stuff is enough to shut them up does not mean everyone else is that easy to brush off, not everyone is that naive or care free about things
I dont see what this has to do with being naive though? A game was delayed, and a second demo is coming, there really isnt much more to it.

I fully understand the dissapointment in the delay, but do some people feel that they were entitled to get the game in 2-3 weeks from now? Is there anything behind the complains that i dont understand?

I dont see the demo as being insulting at all, and that is definitelly not the intention behind it. If there is an insult in this whole senario, the i would say that it is against Nintendo, because Ubisoft promoted the game to be a WiiU exclusive to begin with, and that is important to Nintendo. But i wouldnt call it an insult even in that case, because the game is still coming to the WiiU and there is a business decision behind this, nothing personal against Nintendo.

Darryl

Banned
why would i give a shit about a demo for a game that's not coming out for 7 months

they should've spun the murphy levels off into a DD download or something and called it a day

plufim

Ubisoft should release the game digitally on the eShop for a month (February 26th to March 26th), and that way the hardcore fans that care can get the game when they were promised it, Ubisoft doesn't have to ship retail copies/advertise the game twice, and the Rayman Legend retail version will be out just in time for the holidays.

AND there won't be any second hand/discounted WiiU copies on the shelf devaluing the game when the PS3/360 version launches.

There is literally no reason not to do this.

Also, Ubisofts cut for the digital copies are higher, since there is not shipping/printing.

antonz

About the negative press, all of this is probably "forgotten" in a month or two, and people who have interest in the game will end up getting it anyway. I also wonder what weighs the most, the WiiU version getting delayed (something negative) or that it is also coming to PS3 and Xbox 360 (something positive).

It really depends on how things play out. I am fairly certain the Wii version outsold the PS360 version of Origins in the short term barring an amazing turn around from the massive price cuts which I will admit isn't saying much as it was a bomb that the week after launch was already reduced 50-60%

Origins saving grace was that for most of its development it was a 5 man only team until they decided to retail it instead of DD only.

It seems more to another case of chasing after an audience that isn't there. Just like THQ and others did with Wii exclusives that went multiplat with the sequels even though they had been very successful on Wii

test_account

XP-39C²
For what it's worth, the dev that spoke out about their thoughts on the delay/port mentioned that Ubisoft constantly having them work on new demos for the game was one of the reasons they had to go on a massive crunch to finish it. That they are going to have to waste time making another demo while also redesigning a new version of the game and porting it to two other platforms is probably worth them getting to complain about it.

Probably also worth it enough for gamers to complain about it, since it means the PS3/360 ports are more likely going to be that much more rushed out the door in time for September.
In that case it would be insulting towards the developers (having to spend even more time creating yet another demo). What was said earlier, i understood that it was ment as an insult towards the consumers, but maybe i understood it wrong.

It really depends on how things play out. I am fairly certain the Wii version outsold the PS360 version of Origins which I will admit isn't saying much as it was a bomb that the week after launch was already reduced 50-60%

Origins saving grace was that for most of its development it was a 5 man only team until they decided to retail it instead of DD only.

It seems more to another case of chasing after an audience that isn't there. Just like THQ and others did with Wii exclusives that went multiplat with the sequels even though they had been very successful on Wii
Yeah, it shall be interesting to see how the game sells. I hope for the developer's sake that it does well :)

guek

Banned
Yeah I wonder how smart the Top suits are at this point... Maybe they think they are big enough and the HD twin fans will be enough.

Frankly, I don't think the top care at all about this game now. It's being sent to die.

Releasing now would be best, in my opinion. They've gotten phenomenal word of mouth from this debacle. Sales would surely have been stronger had this incident not happened. The game could continue to sell on Wii U as the userbase grows over the year. When they finally do release the PS360 versions, they can re-market the Wii U version as well and help push even more sales.

Does this screw over the PS360 users? Well not really. It wasn't going to come out any sooner than around that time anyway. Seeing as how the devs were shocked by this news, they likely only very recently began porting the game. While some people say no one will want to buy an old game, we're talking about a massive installed base here that currently dwarfs the Wii U's. This isn't a Batman:AC situation where just about everybody who had wanted to play the game has already played it. The Wii U installed base wont be more than 4-6 million by then, I can assure you that everyone who had wanted to play it up to that point wont have already played it.

The same thing happened with RE4 and its PS2 release. It came out months later and still managed to sell more than the original GC version. Then the Wii version came out and outsold them both. Older games have a harder time selling on smaller installed bases, not the other way around.

And on top of that, flipping back to the original release date would grant Ubisoft a tremendous amount of good will from the thousands of gamers upset over this delay as well as respect from the gaming community at large for truly taking the time to listen to consumers.

The only real drawback is that they'd have to spend money to market this game twice...but honestly, this whole debacle has already done a lot of that for them.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Thinking about it now, I'm not even going to download the second demo. Knowing what I know now, I couldn't enjoy it this far from launch. The first thing I did after the news yesterday was wipe the original demo off the system.

Plus, I believe Ubi know how many times the original demo was downloaded, and so if less people download DEMO2, it would send a message.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
AND there won't be any second hand/discounted WiiU copies on the shelf devaluing the game when the PS3/360 version launches.

Also, Ubisofts cut for the digital copies are higher, since there is not shipping/printing.

Not to mention that all this publicity would probably spur more WiiU owners to buy the special, exclusive WiiU digital Rayman Legends.

I dont see what this has to do with being naive though? A game was delayed, and a second demo is coming, there really isnt much more to it.

I fully understand the dissapointment in the delay, but do some people feel that they were entitled to get the game in 2-3 weeks from now? Is there anything behind the complains that i dont understand?

I dont see the demo as being insulting at all, and that is definitelly not the intention behind it. If there is an insult in this whole senario, the i would say that it is against Nintendo, because Ubisoft promoted the game to be a WiiU exclusive to begin with, and that is important to Nintendo. But i wouldnt call it an insult even in that case, because the game is still coming to the WiiU and there is a business decision behind this, nothing personal against Nintendo.

That is why I said a team of people who feel like you do could help Ubisoft PR

You are glossing over this whole situation like meh, it does not matter, I can wait... what is wrong with you people attitude... a new free demo is good...

I am not saying you cannot be care free about it but it is naive to think everyone else will feel as care free and chill as you do. Some of us feel a bit cheated and even more annoyed at what the developer had to say about this delay. It is just people who are talking about how they feel about this situation. A delay of a game 20 days before release when nothing is wrong with it and it is Finished deserves a reaction from those who had plans on buying.

Nairume

Banned
The only real drawback is that they'd have to spend money to market this game twice...but honestly, this whole debacle has already done a lot of that for them.

Chances are, the money they'd have made by releasing the WiiU version when it had almost no competition other than Fist of the North Star 2 versus what they are probably going to make by launching it against Zelda and whatever else will be out by then would be enough to offset the costs of having to market it twice.

Not to mention they had Nintendo doing a lot of marketing for them. I can't imagine that support is going to be nearly as strong now.

Kariodude

Banned
The demo we already have is exclusive too. This is more insulting than just ignoring everyone. This is acknowledging people are mad, telling them they have to deal with it, then telling them they are going to tease us with probably 3 more levels sometime in the next few months.

test_account

XP-39C²
That is why I said a team of people who feel like you do could help Ubisoft PR

You are glossing over this whole situation like meh, it does not matter, I can wait... what is wrong with you people attitude... a new free demo is good...

I am not saying you cannot be care free about it but it is naive to think everyone else will feel as care free and chill as you do. Some of us feel a bit cheated and even more annoyed at what the developer had to say about this delay. It is just people who are talking about how the feel about this situation. A delay of a game 20 days before release when nothing is wrong with it and it is Finished deserves a reaction from those who had plans on buying.
I never said nor indicated that people should feel the same way as me, why do you think that? The first thing i said was that i think it is cool that a 2nd demo come and that i personally couldnt complain about that (i see the complains about the delay, but not about getting a 2nd demo), then you quoted me and laughed at what i said, and saying that i should work for Ubisoft PR. After that i asked some questions about what the big complains were about regarding the demo. Like you say, it is just people who talk about how they feel about the situation. That is exactly what i'm doing as well.

I also didnt say that people shouldnt react to it. I said several of times that i fully understand that people are dissapointed. I would be that too if i was waiting to play a game that got delayed so close to release date. It is a really boring situation indeed. I was more curious about how the 2nd demo was an insult, that was all.

Rvaisse

Giving a new demo is a nice way to say "sorry guys" BUT it would have been nice if it was given BEFORE people starts to complain !
I'm a gameplay whore but Hey don't treat me like that !

Easily circumvented with exclusive DLC they can later sell to PS3 and Wii U audiences as well.

I read the other post... I see what you are saying but now I have my doubts of seeing a Ubisoft reversal here. I don't think they care about goodwill I think they feel they can buy good will with future game ports to Wii U and fans will just shut up and buy them as always and this Rayman stuff will not matter in 6 months.

Nintendo is very quiet about this issue. And it seems that Ubisoft thinks Nintendo has things it needs to fix so maybe they are trying to squeeze something out of Nintendo with this. A price drop more support or a marketing deal.

I really would like to know how this has changed the relationship between the companies.

Anyway a new Ubisoft IP ported on Wii U might be enough to shut people up, no one will care except a very tiny minority who will always avoid ubisoft on Wii U.

I never said nor indicated that people should feel the same way as me, why do you think that? The first thing i said was that i think it is cool that a 2nd demo come and that i personally couldnt complain about that (i see the complains about the delay, but not about getting a 2nd demo), then you quoted me and laughed at what i said, and saying that i should work for Ubisoft PR. After that i asked some questions about what the big complains were about. Like you say, it is just people who talk about how they feel about the situation. That is exactly what i'm doing as well.

I also didnt say that people shouldnt react to it. I said several of times that i fully understand that people are dissapointed. I would be that too if i was waiting to play a game that got delayed so close to release date. It is a really boring situation indeed. I was more curious about how the 2nd demo was an insult, that was all.

You are in a thread where you feel = Oh new Demo = COOL

Other in the same thread, like me feel = Lol New Demo = Insulting Bribe

It is not so hard to understand we do not agree on this, because Exclusive Demo = COOL is what Ubisoft thinks we should all be feeling right now.
We just disagree that is all

JDSN

Banned
The more I think about the demo the more it pisses me off, its not a replacement for the full version and it means more work to an already tired staff.

I honestly hope someone leaks the full ver.

Haha. Its like spitting on someone on fire to put them out.

Anyway, what is the reason for the delay? In business terms, I mean. What's the financial or otherwise gain for delaying the finished game?

test_account

XP-39C²
The more I think about the demo the more it pisses me off, its not a replacement for the full version and it means more work to an already tired staff.

I honestly hope someone leaks the full ver.
Leaking the full version wouldnt do much good though. The WiiU isnt hacked yet, so it cant be played. If it could be played, it would be piracy and that could affect the developers in one way or another.

test_account

XP-39C²
You are in a thread where you feel = Oh new Demo = COOL

Other in the same thread, like me feel = Lol New Demo = Insulting Bribe

It is not so hard to understand we do not agree on this, because Exclusive Demo = COOL is what Ubisoft thinks we should all be feeling right now.
We just disagree that is all
Sure, i understood from the very begining that we dont agree on it, that is clear and i dont have any questions regarding that. What i'm wondering about is why a 2nd demo is being seen as an insult and a bribe. Why is there anger against a company for delaying a game? I fully understand that it is a boring situation, absolutely, but some of the anger almost seems like people feel they are entitled to getting the game now. That is why i ask the questions, trying to understand it better.

Absolutely no reason they don't do this, IMO.

kunonabi

I'm going to buy this and play it on the Wii U as it was intended, but this is fucking retarded.

By the time it comes out I really doubt it will resemble their original intention. The demo was already proof of their backpedaling on the asymmetrical concepts they started with.

test_account

XP-39C²
Because the Wii U version is finished, it was already delayed once from launch to February, and is only being delayed again to match day and date ps360 versions.
Yeah, but i mean beyond the "damn you (insert game company here), now it will be very boring to wait 7-8 more months to play the game" reason.

Sure, i understood from the very begining that we dont agree on it, that is not what i'm discussing. What i'm wondering about is why a 2nd demo is being seen as an insult and a bribe. Why is there anger against a company for delaying a game? I fully understand that it is a boring situation, absolutely, but some of the anger almost seems like people feel they are entitled to getting the game now. That is why i ask the questions, trying to understand it better.

A company made a promise of a date a product goes on sale, changed its mind the customer waiting for the product feels angry at this and wants to buy now and not wait 7 months for it.

You can keep posting your feelings, free thread and all we don't have to agree and you are not entitled to understand why people react differently than you do you know?

Rvaisse

Yeah, i know that, but i mean beyond the "damnit, now it will be very boring to wait 7-8 more months to play the game" reason.

Maybe because it was already delayed once... And canceled 3 weeks before launch... And because it was sold as an exclusive game for WiiU?
Maybe because WiiU plannings are quite empty and people needs game for their brand new system?

Yagharek

It really puts an awkward spin on things for annoyed Wii U owners.

Boycotting the game will just result in fewer games in future.
It also spites Montpellier, who are apparently not complicit in this decision.
I would hate to see Rayman Legends sell poorly on Wii U and prevent BG&E2 from ever coming out on it (assuming it has a chance).

There's nothing wrong with it coming to PS3/360, but the delay is a kick in the teeth.

test_account

XP-39C²
A company made a promise of a date a product goes on sale, changed its mind the customer waiting for the product feels angry at this and wants to buy now and not wait 7 months for it.

You can keep posting your feelings, free thread and all we don't have to agree and you are not entitled to understand why people react differently than you do you know?
As i mentioned earlier, i never said anything about that people should react differently than me. And i fully understand that people are pissed and dissapointed with having to wait. The only thing i'm wondering about is why the 2nd demo is being seen as an insult.

This has nothing to do with me feeling entitled to anything, i'm simply asking a question. If you dont want to answer it, or if you dont have any answer to it, then that is fine, no problem, at least i have got to ask :)

Maybe because it was already delayed once... And canceled 3 weeks before launch... And because it was sold as an exclusive game for WiiU?
Maybe because WiiU plannings are quite empty and people needs game for their brand new system?
To me, it sounds like all of those reasons goes under "it sucks that i have to wait even longer to play the game". Or is there anything beyond that reason?

Nairume

Banned
Yeah, but i mean beyond the "damn you (insert game company here), now it will be very boring to wait 7-8 more months to play the game" reason.
It won't be boring for too long, since other stuff is going to be coming out. However, that is the problem that people are upset about. There's nothing now, but what's going to suck is that now people who were wanting Rayman when there was nothing else to play are going to have to be choosing between it and a bunch of other fantastic games.

Rayman is going to suffer a lot for this. Even with the WiiU version is now going to have to deal with Zelda and a bunch of other games coming out in the fall.

Rvaisse

Again, i never said anything about that people should react differently than me. And i fully understand that people are pissed and dissapointed with having to wait. The only thing i'm wondering about is why the 2nd demo is being seen as an insult. That is all. Forget the arguement that people are angry about having to wait, i fully understand that.

The demo has been annouced AFTER people starts to complain !! Wich means no complaining --> No New Demo
Thats disrespectful of their customers

mephixto

Banned
OMG!!! HAHAHAHA is that joke? cause is a good one.

I don't own a WiiU but Ubisoft is spiting on the slapped face of the fans. LOL

Nairume

Banned
The only thing i'm wondering about is why the 2nd demo is being seen as an insult.
It's an insult to everybody who was looking forward to the game in two weeks because it's being presented as a really shitty consolation prize to everybody upset about the delay.

It's also an insult to the developers who were already having to struggle with making constant demos for the game, and are now having to make yet another demo while they go back on crunch to have the game ported and redesigned for release across all three platforms in the fall.

Rvaisse

Again, i never said anything about that people should react differently than me. And i fully understand that people are pissed and dissapointed with having to wait. The only thing i'm wondering about is why the 2nd demo is being seen as an insult. This has nothing to do with me feeling entitled to anything, i'm simply asking a question. If you dont want to answer it, or if you dont have any answer to it, then that is fine.

To me, it sounds like all of those reasons goes under "it sucks that i have to wait even longer to play the game". Or is there anything beyond that reason?

Well if you think there's no problem releasing a game almost 1 year after its original launch date .. Then You have to explain yourself... Lol

FyreWulff

Anyone considered that Nintendo failed Ubisoft by not getting the userbase they predicted?

Hopefully the demo won't have limited retries.

There are more Wii U owners than the combined total online population of Ubisoft games. Nintendo put the game as the sole playable demo on many kiosks. And it's the launch window, where you can release just about anything to great sales.

Even without the 360/PS3 ports, delaying the finished game into September is one of the stupidest things Ubisoft has done as a company. They went from having a captive audience to putting the game up against GTAV and being buried under whatever else is revealed at E3 by all 3 first parties.

Lynd7

I think the only way this demo would help curb the outrage a little bit would be to have it include a significant portion of the game.

test_account

XP-39C²
It won't be boring for too long, since other stuff is going to be coming out. However, that is the problem that people are upset about. There's nothing now, but what's going to suck is that now people who were wanting Rayman when there was nothing else to play are going to have to be choosing between it and a bunch of other fantastic games.

Rayman is going to suffer a lot for this. Even with the WiiU version is now going to have to deal with Zelda and a bunch of other games coming out in the fall.
Yeah, i fully agree with that. It sucks having to wait and it will suck extra much for the developers if the game sales will suffer being a September release instead of a Februrary release. But the talk about the demo being insulting, that sounds to be towards the consumers, and i'm wondering why there is anger because of this part in specific.

The demo has been annouced AFTER people starts to complain !! Wich means no complaining --> No New Demo
Thats disrespectful of their customers
The game was announced to be delayed yesterday and the demo was announced today. Not that much time in between the announcements. I think it is fully plausible that there would be no extra demo if there were no complaining indeed, but who knows. But the game is dealyed, they gave something after the complains were done. What could they have done that wasnt disrespectful?

Well if you think there's no problem releasing a game almost 1 year after its original launch date .. Then You have to explain yourself... Lol
I could see the problem in that, because it would boring to wait :) I fully agree on this point. What i'm wondering is if there is anything else to the anger other than just having to wait (which could be very boring).

big youth

people are really complaining that a demo will strain the devs? all they have to do is select 2-3 levels from the already completed game and maybe create a level select screen.

Ubisoft has stated that it would be available for Wii U during the launch window prompting multiple people to purchase a Wii U in anticipation of Rayman Legends. They have the game completed after 1 delay (originally slated for Holiday 12) and they decide they are going to wait to release it because they want to wait and do a simultaneous launch? Most likely Wii U will have a price drop by the time it's released and most players will simply no longer be interested in it. On top of all that, they had to clearly know this was going to happen prior to 2 weeks before release and yet sat on the info even while their own developers were requested to work OT in a final push to meet the release date.In a bid to save face they offer us an exclusive demo for 7 months?

I don't see how anyone can argue that Ubisoft has handled this situation poorly, to say the least.

It really puts an awkward spin on things for annoyed Wii U owners.

Boycotting the game will just result in fewer games in future.
It also spites Montpellier, who are apparently not complicit in this decision.
I would hate to see Rayman Legends sell poorly on Wii U and prevent BG&E2 from ever coming out on it (assuming it has a chance).

There's nothing wrong with it coming to PS3/360, but the delay is a kick in the teeth.

I'm going to solve my conflict by buying a PS4
If I ever want a future Ubisoft title might as well be where they have fans.

Seriously I would love to see Rayman Legends bomb on Wii U but this is not really going to happen the title will sell well enough for Ubisoft top suits to feel happy about. It will sell much more on PS360 at a discounted price over time because of the huge numbers of consoles out there.

But never be fooled by some 3rd Party that sales of one game on Nintendo platform makes or breaks chances of future releases. They are not in business to give Nintendo exclusives they go where the money is.

Wii U owners not buying Rayman Legends will not hurt developers when PS360 owners will buy the game happily. They end up making the money they wanted anyway.

If you want to play more 3rd Party games buy an extra console outside of the Nintendo brand then you won't have to feel pissed about delays or worried about future support because chances are that other platform will get the game that skips Nintendo's console.

I'm done with this bullshit, this coming gen I will have more platforms ready to play the games I want. I have never owned anything outside of a Nintendo Console, it has always been Nintendo and my Mac computer (also lacks games)

Safe bet is to get a PS4 this year. Wii U+PS4 should be enough for a happy gaming hobby.

If you are a Wii U only owner and want to see great games on the platform take your Rayman Money and buy the shit out of The Wonderful 101

Specifically speaking on delays, I don't mind if the intent of the delay is to polish a game and make it better (or to better fulfill the developers' intent(s)).

But it doesn't sound like that is the case here. The Wii U version of the game is apparently done, fully realized, and there's no indication that any further updates are being made to make it any better. So this delay has no productive meaning to it, at least for the Wii U version.
The game was announced to be delayed yesterday and the demo was announced today. It is plausible that there would be no extra demo if there were no complaining indeed, but that will be speculation on both sides though. But the game is dealyed, they gave something after the complains were done. What could they have done that wasnt disrespectful?
Uh... release the full game within the previously given schedule, especially if it is done?

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
ahahaha

wait, they're serious. They're really trying to contain the shitestorm with a fucking DEMO?

It's so pathetically useless I almost feel pity for them

test_account

XP-39C²
Uh... release the full game within the previously given schedule, especially if it is done?
I was thinking about that the game is already delayed and that choice will remain unchanged. If giving out a 2nd demo is being disrespectful, what other things could they do that wasnt disrespectful?

Top Bottom