• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Wolf Link to unlock a new dungeon in Twilight Princess HD ?

Absolutely. Not buying any game that has meaningful content locked behind amiibos.

Except actual DLC (aka DOWNLOADABLE content) is sold in digital stores. Locking content behind stupid toys is nothing like DLC.

Then you'll miss out on that game and the possible meaningful content? I get people want to be moral and stick it to a company but you'll be the only ones missing out.

KingBroly

Banned
That is the thing though, we aren't certain of what the content is. It it is something super small then fine, but u want to know how much content it offers.

I'm hoping Nintendo offers a way to get it without the Amiibo if it offers quite a bit of content

Given the past history of added dungeons to Zelda games...it's not going to be much.

Ansatz

I can not and will not believe that it would only be green-lit to pour resources into making another dungeon because of an amiibo.

Then there's no more we can say other than agree to disagree.

The problem is whenever a new amiibo thread pops up, instead of talking about the actual use like many posts do, the discussion is still centered about the philosophical debate regarding amiibo as DLC in general. I don't wish to partake in those discussions, I'm only interested in meaningful/interesting posts of this nature:

Wonder if it's going to be some sort of high score centric dungeon that will also be present in Zelda U, meaning you can rack up score and level up the Amiibo in either game, and switch one you play.

It's the same arguments since 2014 when they announced them, nothing has fundamentally changed other than we now have more data points at our disposal. I'm tired of it and as a consequence I will never enter an amiibo thread again. I'm not interested in general industry talk, in this case about Nintendo's practices from a moral perspective, especially with people who eveidently don't even own Wii Us. It's 100% pointless

wrowa

Its pretty much just something extra mode you get if you buy more. Every game has that now.. DLC, hell even some people pay money to unlock online modes in games.

Sony offers three really well-made remasters of the Uncharted series for 70$. Microsoft offers four not-so-well-made remasters (and a remake) of the Halo series for the same price.

Nintendo offers one Zelda remaster for 50$, which - judging by past Zelda remasters and the limited info released so far - will be rather barebones.

It's absolutely not unreasonable to expect a bit more from Nintendo than what it seems to be offering. The problem isn't the Amiibo offering exclusive content, the problem is that there very likely won't be much new content in the first place, which makes the Amiibo paywall only worse.

Sony offers three really well-made remasters of the Uncharted series for 70$. Microsoft offers four not-so-well-made remasters (and a remake) of the Halo series for the same price.

Nintendo offers one Zelda remaster for 50$, which - judging by past Zelda remasters and the limited info released so far - will be rather barebones.

It's absolutely not unreasonable to expect a bit more from Nintendo than what it seems to be offering.

You're right. This is a shitty practice. And here, we have an unlock-key as a toy. It's not even DLC, it's an unlock key for data on disc.

What about unlock-keys sold in digital store, unlocking stuff that is already on the disc / in the game data? Because that's still the reality of many DLCs.

Exactly. It's rather funny that people will dare to claim that Nintendo made this content for the Amiibo, as if they did it in a fair way, as a pro-consumer move. Let's be real, it's shaping up really bad for the next Zelda with these amiibos compatibilities.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
What about unlock-keys sold in digital store, unlocking stuff that is already on the disc / in the game data? Because that's still the reality of many DLCs.

At that point it's still at a more sensible price point since it doesn't have the figure baggage on top. People that don't have interest in the amiibo itself would overspend significantly if they want it for a specific piece of content--and that content cannot be purchased in any other form.

Its pretty much just something extra mode you get if you buy more. Every game has that now.. DLC, hell even some people pay money to unlock online modes in games.
The problem is not the DLC, the problem is tying DLC that people might want behind a toy you might not even be able to get, no one is arguing for free shit.

If you could get all Amiibo content as paid eShop content this wouldn't be an issue.

Alpha_eX

Hopefully it isn't as bad as Shovel Knight, where you can only play co-op if you own the amiibo, you have to have it out to use every time, it's not a one-tap-unlock.

There really should be an option for all these extra modes/features to be bought in an IAP, because that's what they are. Costumes and stuff, cosmetic stuff, that's fair game and quite fun to have tied to each amiibo like in Mario Kart.

-shadow-

I absolutely love the Amiibo implementation in Smash, but if this is true Nintendo has become the company that I despise like Capcom who were locking all DLC on the disc. However that was at least really cheap unlike these amiibo...

Sure you didn't yet, because it takes time... and as you said, professional are paid to do it. Now it's sold for 50€ and even then, it doesn't look good at all.

Not looking good at all is a huge exaggeration. It looks like Twilight Princess with all the low resolution textures fixed and the end result looks pretty damn good. It doesn't look as different as Wind Waker HD but I think people forget how muddy Twilight Princess initially looked.

KingBroly

Banned
The problem is not the DLC, the problem is tying DLC that people might want behind a toy you might not even be able to get, no one is arguing for free shit.

If you could get all Amiibo content as paid eShop content this wouldn't be an issue.

Do people complain about this kind of thing for Skylanders and Disney Infinity?

mugwhump

If it's an actual dungeon with puzzles that would be awful. If it's just a cave of ordeals that's fine. The latter seems more likely.

also

Banned
How is the release timing relevant to this?

The DX version was a version for Game Boy Color. They did not release it at the same time and said: ''No extra dungeon for you dirty GB users. Buy the shiny new GBC or piss off.''

TP HD is released 10 years after TP. And stuff has often been locked in Zelda games:

-You needed to buy a GBA link cable to 100% WW (the link cable was more expensive than the amiibo)
-Ages and Seasons needed each other for 100%
-The rumble pack item in OoT "locked" content behind a peripheral
-MM needed an expansion pack
Yes, that's why I expect new stuff without having to buy plastic toys. Especially at the price they are charging.

-AFAIK, Tingle Tuner is just co-op mode and there are no items or heart containers you can't get without it. It requiring a GBA is a hardware limitation and not a ploy to sell toys.
-Yes, the game was ''split'' in half due to size and if you wanted all the meaningful content you could just input a password. And having to buy a game to access content is in no way similar to having to buy a toy.
-True, they could have had an onscreen indicator instead of rumble. This is the only example where Nintendo purposefully gimped a game to sell hardware but even then the rumble pack actually has in-game uses and, imo, adds to experience.
-That's not locking stuff, that's needing updated hardware to make the game run.

Basically, Amiibos add nothing to the games and are just (reusable) DLC codes wrapped in plastic. They are not in any way comparable to the examples you mentioned.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The original Famicom release of LoZ (or Hyrule Fantasy as we should call it) required a new add-on to run.
The Colour Dungeon in Zelda DX required the purchase of new hardware to enter.
The Advance Shop in the Oracle games required new hardware to enter.

Zelda is just going back to its roots like they said it would.

"Amiibo are shitty, they don't do anything substantial in-game."

"Amiibo are shitty, they do something substantial in-game."

fpt4vWJ.jpg

What about the people that just don't want to be collecting little toy figures, rofl. I mean, it comes up in every amiibo thread. Some people just don't want a figure and would rather get the unlockable content some other way. Especially with the low quality of amiibos, is it really that shocking to some of you? Marth basically looks like a happy meal toy.

On one hand, I LOVE the fact that more amiibo content is coming. Awesome step in the direction I want to see!

On the other hand, the Zelda dungeons are some of my least favorite part of Zelda games. Blargh.

Oh well! I'll get over it! Not sure if I'm getting Twilight Princess HD anyway, and this news only complicated things for me.

KingBroly

Banned
Yes. Except I don't care about these two. It's not because others do wrong that it's okay to do it too.

It's not my point whether you care or not.

Nintendo either goes too far or not far enough with amiibo implementation, even though the reality is they never go far enough.

It's absolutely not unreasonable to expect a bit more from Nintendo than what it seems to be offering. The problem isn't the Amiibo offering exclusive content, the problem is that there very likely won't be much new content in the first place, which makes the Amiibo paywall only worse.
Well good for them.. its all subjective in to what a person values. Obviously me a Nintendo fan going to value this more than those so I say its worth it. I bought MCC and UC too... I really didnt expect any new cobtent in this game thats why it is a GOOD thing to me.

Yes. Except I don't care about these two.
And alot of people here dont care about the amiibo unlocking stuff.. its all subjective.

What about the people that just don't want to be collecting little toy figures, rofl. I mean, it comes up in every amiibo thread. Some people just don't want a figure and would rather get the unlockable content some other way. Especially with the low quality of amiibos, is it really that shocking to some of you? Marth basically looks like a happy meal toy.
Marth looks find you talking about one of the first 200 Marths or something.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
The people bitching about this.... Would you be more happy if this was just paid DLC for 10 bucks?

Just not seeing the issue... Amiibos are more or less Nintendo own spin on DLC and unlocks. People who pay more get more... Like it's always been.

PS. They know their audience and I don't think there are many people who a)own a WiiU b) are interested in a TP Remake c) would be this upset because of optional Amiibo unlocks.
No I wouldn't. Because it's exactly the same thing. This is the issue. It's glorified on disc DLC. It's a shitty practice that I am not a fan of in any game. Just because it comes in the form of a plastic toy doesn't make it any less shitty. We're not ok with locking on disc content behind DLC. We're not ok with locking on disc content behind amiibo. Especially not if it's gameplay and not just cosmetic.

Super Mario Maker is an acceptable form of amiibo. Because everything that amiibo unlocks can also be unlocked in game. This is the way forward. If it turns out you can unlock this dungeon in game without amiibo, you'll see most of the complainers be absolutely fine with it.

Exactly. It's rather funny that people will dare to claim that Nintendo made this content for the Amiibo, as if they did it in a fair way, as a pro-consumer move. Let's be real, it's shaping up really bad for the next Zelda with these amiibos compatibilities.
Speak for yourself, i have zero problems with this, and this will in no way affect how i will or won't enjoy the next Zelda. So far, Nintendo has never locked anything that is an important part of the main game behind anything, and i doubt they will.

At that point it's still at a more sensible price point since it doesn't have the figure baggage on top. People that don't have interest in the amiibo itself would overspend significantly if they want it for a specific piece of content--and that content cannot be purchased in any other form.
And what makes you so certain that there won't be an unlock option via eShop? And what exactly is the overspending-difference, between a 10 $/€ key, that unlocks the content and a 15 $/€ figurine?`

To me, spending 10 bucks on a byte-sized flag that basically just tells the game "Ok, he paid, show the stuff" is way more shitty, than spending 5 bucks more for something collectible. But of course, i have a hobby room, where such a figurine will be a nice addition.

Well good for them.. its all subjective in to what a person values. Obviously me a Nintendo fan going to value this more than those so I say its worth it. I bought MCC and UC too... I really didnt expect any new cobtent in this game thats why it is a GOOD thing to me.

And alot of people here dont care about the amiibo unlocking stuff.. its all subjective.

You're missing his point. While MCC and UC didn't gave new content, it was about 3 to 5 games for the price of one. TP HD is a standalone release.

And yes, I think a lot of people would've been interested by the content.

Neiteio

If this is the only way to get actual new content, then fine, I'll take it. But it's just such a boring way to use amiibo. A glorified unlock key that you tap to the GamePad... Yawn.

It'd be more interesting if the dungeon was randomized in some fashion, like the root dungeons in Bloodborne, and you could save your version of the dungeon to your amiibo to bring over a friend's house or something. That would at least make use of the amiibo's ability to save data.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
and that's the thread in a nutshell.

Its more like this is handled. Amiibos are physical items that are sold out all the time because people are like crazy after them. Its no ideal, to look content behind something that can be sold out/went away. And people dont like this so they bocott that shitty practise.
You can imagine this like a digital store were stuff is all the time not avaiable, even while it easily could.

I like it how Nintendo fans tend to joke about DLCs and celebrate how Nintendo handles those, while they do the exact same thing with Amiibos in a way more consume unfrindlier way.

You're missing his point. While MCC and UC didn't gave new content, it was about 3 to 5 games for the price of one. TP HD is a standalone release.

MCC had a lot of new content. It completely remade Halo 2 and added a brand new multiplayer engine. It's the pinnacle of HD remastering and compilations.

JoeM86

Its more like this is handled. Amiibos are physical items that are sold out all the time because people are like crazy after them. Its no ideal, to look content behind something that can be sold out/went away. And people dont like this so they bocott that shitty practise.
You can imagine this like a digital store were stuff is all the time not avaiable, even while it easily could.

I like it how Nintendo fans tend to joke about DLCs and celebrate how Nintendo handles those, while they do the exact same thing with Amiibos in a way more consume unfrindlier way.

To be fair, that was the case a year ago but it's not anymore.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
what if you want the content and not the amiibo

Buy the amiibo, unlock and play the content, sell the amiibo. Win-win.

Why they are doing this? See below

Give options and make more money? Considering with DLC they ignore the retail chain, they could sell the DLC for less on the eShop and make similar/more profit. Some people are going to want the figure anyway because it's cool looking to them and it'll sell out regardless of the functionality.

They are selling much more amiibo than DLCs. The gap is huge. Amiibo also help them stay relevant to the retailers. They even stated in the investor meeting that they need to provide more use for amiibo. It's a clear strategy. It's the same way like it is with digital vs. retail games, there are still more people willing to buy in the stores than online.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Amiibo dungeon - where you tab Amiibo to summon them in game to act as weights to press down switches.

MCC had a lot of new content. It completely remade Halo 2 and added a brand new multiplayer engine. It's the pinnacle of HD remastering and compilations.

Well in any case, it wasn't about expecting new content to the core game. It was about why new content should be included considering it's a standalone release.

His point is a non-factor.. Price is completely irrelevant. Skyward Sword new cost more than both of those games combine. A game running on essentially gamecube hardware. Quantity is also irrelevant if it dont mean nothing to me.

Hasney

They are selling much more amiibo than DLCs. The gap is huge. Amiibo also help them stay relevant to the retailers. They even stated in the investor meeting that they need to provide more use for amiibo. It's a clear strategy. It's the same way like it is with digital vs. retail games, there are still more people willing to buy in the stores than online.

Fantastic, so having a DLC digital unlock to do the same thing shouldn't cannibalise Amiibo sales. Even more reason to have both options.
Guys, you know, you could always borrow that amiibo from someone you know and unlock that stuff in your game.

Please, like any of my friends own a Nintendo anymore.

and that's the thread in a nutshell.

No, it's not. Well, from your side it seems to be. The objective way to look at this thread is that there are multiple sides:

(1) I'm not OK with Nintendo locking content behind the amiibo.
(2) I'm not OK with it, but will feel better if there's a non-amiibo way to unlock this.
(3) I'm OK with it
(4) Not only I'm I OK with it, I'm excited for what the amiibo will do in this game and in Zelda U
(5) People in camp #1, stop whining and deal with it (I'm not making this up, this is the tone in a lot of responses, and one of JoeM86's posts in this thread actually has the words "deal with it" in it).

Personally, I'm somewhere between #1 and #2. The level of Nintendo favoritism in this thread is understandable... but unfortunate. No matter how you look at this, this is on-disc DLC. A similar practice by Capcom with Street Fighter x Tekken got them a massive amount of (justified) backlash here on GAF, at least from what I remember. If it were any of the other usual publishing villains, like EA or Ubisoft, this would also get (again, deserved) backlash and criticism.

But it's Nintendo, so it's cool yo.
/s

Sintoid

"Amiibo are shitty, they don't do anything substantial in-game."

"Amiibo are shitty, they do something substantial in-game."

fpt4vWJ.jpg

Amiboos were good when they were gameplay ininfluent but game compatibile. Extra skin for every Nintendo game is a great idea because you won't miss anything if you don't buy them but if you want collect you will have even a small reason to play with them.

Locking gameplay chuncks behind an at least 15$ paywall is outrageous.

I don't disagree at all. However amiibo locked content is most of the time small bonus costumes that wouldn't be in the game if it weren't for the figures in the way of Mario Kart 8, Yoshi's Woolly World and Code Name Steam and with Twilight Princess it sounds like a harmless extension of the Cave of Ordeals, content which most players won't even touch.

mfiuza

I don't like this.

You guys need to see a big picture here.

Where I live it's almost impossible to buy amiibos. Ok, not impossible, but extremely expensive, specially those special ones (pre-order and stuff). So, to play a new dungeon and the other stuff this new amiibo might unlock I will have to pay something like $50 (IF, btw, I find the amiibo in the first place).

On the other picture, if Nintendo did the right thing, I would need only to log in my esho and pay the $10 or $15 for the DLC annnnnnnnd PROBLEM SOLVED.

Top Bottom