• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Gold / Silver for DS announced

Forkball

Soul Silver baby.

Hopefully we get more details soon. I'm really interested to see if they add new things or if it's just Diamond/Pearl with a Johto paint job.

Teknoman

Rival battle theme is going to sound amazing with DS sound tech.

Im still going through (and enjoying silver) but it sucks that im going to have to make two transfers :lol Diamond-> Platinum -> Soul Silver.

Unless Nintendo gets smart with whatever (good) wii game they release...or channel.

Jiggy

jman2050 said:
I remember my days reading up on any new info regarding Gold and Silver, and playing an acquired half-translated Gold ROM long before it was ever released here, spending hours marveling at Johto, the new additions, and of course spending hours trying to figure out what to do when the translation went all moonspeak on me.

Also 5 characters for Pokemon names.
It does bother me that the Japanese versions can only use five characters even though they clearly recognize the ten-character names of English versions. :/ Similar problem to the English versions being unable to use Japanese letters at all, which I also don't like. If these are universal games, just allow as many options as possible.

gwiz210

Check out this awesome remix of the theme that plays during the G/S Elite 4 Champion Battle and the
battle against the R/B protagonist.

phalestine

aka iby.h
Tashi0106 said:
*motions for high five*

2pp0e90.gif

WOOOOOOO!

Hell yeah. I skipped straight from Yellow to Diamond, and this will give me an awesome opportunity to see what I missed. Plus, it'll have all the upgrades of Platinum, saving me the trouble of having to buy that. :D

Though I'll have to wait awhile. =(

Teknoman

All the gym leaders and story important trainers better have intro animations as well.

Oh yeah, and better late than never, Wii Will Rock U called it :D

Also we wont get screwed over with secret event areas since Wi-Fi Mystery gift seems to be in full operation. Hopefully Deoxys will be in there somewhere.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
What's all this Silver better than Gold, Gold better than Silver because of legendaries nonsense?

Both are in both games! :lol

celebi23

Random story time. First time I got on that Train (from Kanto-> Johto), I was like "WOAH" :D Damn, I might actually import Silver & then buy Gold when it's out in NA.

joetachi

Teknoman said:
All the gym leaders and story important trainers better have intro animations as well.

Oh yeah, and better late than never, Wii Will Rock U called it :D

Also we wont get screwed over with secret event areas since Wi-Fi Mystery gift seems to be in full operation. Hopefully Deoxys will be in there somewhere.
Not only that we will have an awesome intro portrait of Red when your about to enter the battle.

D-Pad

Andrex said:
Shoot man, the player character in G/S/C is still the coolest-looking one.

Best rival too. :p Hope they go deeper with his story Legit Spoiler:
I want the whole story behind him and Giovanni, them being son and father and all

Jiggy

Teknoman said:
This reminds me, hopefully we get the Sevii Islands back--and I mean all of them, so that we can have Latias/Latios catchable in fourth-gen.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
D-Pad said:
Best rival too. :p Hope they go deeper with his story Legit Spoiler:
I want the whole story behind him and Giovanni, them being son and father and all

My avy says no, not the best rival. Dorkiest-looking one, perhaps. :p I'll say though, until Cynthia, Lance was the coolest Champion.

cvxfreak

:D:D:D:D:D

Will play in Japanese since I'll have zero problems reading the game.

Gold/Silver bring back fond memories of the year 2000 for me... that was the same year I discovered survival horror games, and enjoyed the Dreamcast a lot as well. <3

Teknoman

The only thing that ticks me off about D/P/Plat is that the day/evening/night cycle has no importance other than catching certain pokemon. Really should take advantage of it (certain trainers only appearing at night, shops, etc).

Jiggy

Teknoman said:
The only thing that ticks me off about D/P/Plat is that the day/evening/night cycle has no importance other than catching certain pokemon. Really should take advantage of it (certain trainers only appearing at night, shops, etc).
Well, they do have trainers who'll only fight during day or night (joggers and policemen respectively), and the musical changes are awesome to a soundtrack fan like me, but yeah, gameplay-wise the system went to something of a waste.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Not "Gold Sun" & "Silver Moon"? They coulda re-used the original Johto anime theme which used those as lyrics! Maybe this time people outside of Japan won't be gipped out of a Celebi as was the case with the original releases huh? Anyway call me next generation when they remake the best pkmn games R/S/E!

Comic

I'm excited. G/S was great for me... 16 badges rather than the regular 8! Revisiting the place from the first game was also great, I love when games do that, you get to see all the changes, and all the similarities.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
billy.sea said:
10 year anniversary...

OMG... I can't believe its been 10 years since I played the original... time flies.
Yeah, THAT is scary.

hinode

Jiggy said:
Well, they do have trainers who'll only fight during day or night (joggers and policemen respectively), and the musical changes are awesome to a soundtrack fan like me, but yeah, gameplay-wise the system went to something of a waste.

Thing is that time restricted activities are incredibly annoying for people who only have free time in certain hours of the day, due to work or other RL issues.

I'd personally be annoyed if Nintendo insisted I have to plan my daily schedule around playing Pokemon to access all the events and sidequests. I can live with Choice Specs and Ledian being morning early, but anything more complex would be irritating.

acidviper

Banned
Is is still going to have that retarded 10 minute Professor Oak intro that every Pokemon game has along with the 20 minute boot camp? Or can they make that skipable?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
hinode said:
Thing is that time restricted activities are incredibly annoying for people who only have free time in certain hours of the day, due to work or other RL issues.

I'd personally be annoyed if Nintendo insisted I have to plan my daily schedule around playing Pokemon to access all the events and sidequests. I can live with Choice Specs and Ledian being morning early, but anything more complex would be irritating.
I think that's why they chose to seperate important mechanics from the time system, even though they can be circumvented on the DS simply by changing the internal clock.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
hinode said:

You can always tinker with the DS' clock if it bothers you that much.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
ezekial45 said:
Damn. It doesn't seem that long ago.

Seems insanely long ago for me, I barely remember anything from G/S. Hopefully SoulSilver will jog my memory. :D

Jiggy

acidviper said:
Is is still going to have that retarded 10 minute Professor Oak intro that every Pokemon game has along with the 20 minute boot camp? Or can they make that skipable?
New Bark -> Route 29 -> Route 30 -> Route 29 -> New Bark -> Route 29 -> okay, now we can actually advance with the game

Pretty annoying, but at least this time around we'll hopefully have running shoes to make it less so.

JimmyV

Banned
YYYEEEESSSS!!!! Getting Silver to re-live my child-hood memories!!! I hope they don't put in all those new Pokemon! Not that I dont like them, I just want my classic baby!!

Top Bottom