• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 |OT| Something Happened? Something Happened.

kitch9

Banned
Okay, got another Problem. My wifi simply does not work. Installed new drivers, sometimes it works, but most other times especially after restarts. It is connected but I can not acess the internet, giving me an exclamation mark. Any ideas?

Reset TCP/IP stack.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/299357

Tells you how to do it here. I can't guarantee it will work but it did for me.

Windows 10 has network issues on Realtek controllers after upgrading I'm finding.

So, after upgrading it sounds like my speakers are blown? They worked perfectly fine when I set the update this morning before heading off to work. Every single noise has the same booming explosion noise. Also, my screen will go from looking fantastic and slightly dark to brighter and washed out.

Does this have anything to do with my audio being Realtek HD Digital Audio??
Annnnd now all the sound is gone.

There are lots of Realtek issues with Windows 10. My rear speakers don't work, DTS is messed up, optical issues for many, etc. I expect them to be addressed asap. Here's a good support thread on a lot of them: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...echnical/aa536a1b-9c88-492a-95ae-7abe7b62a655

I've been troubleshooting this since W10 launch, but are boot times substantially slower for anyone else? At least when compared to Windows 7? I'd say W10 takes approx 3x longer to boot (10-15 seconds on Windows 7, 30-45 on Windows 10); I'm running an Intel 320 Series SSD.

Paganmoon

So, after upgrading it sounds like my speakers are blown? They worked perfectly fine when I set the update this morning before heading off to work. Every single noise has the same booming explosion noise. Also, my screen will go from looking fantastic and slightly dark to brighter and washed out.

Does this have anything to do with my audio being Realtek HD Digital Audio??
Annnnd now all the sound is gone.

I had some extra noise coming when I first connected my computer to my surround system after upgrade, went through the speaker setup again, and the noise went away. Though right now, when playing videos on HBO Nordic, the 5.1 sound sends dialog to the rear left speaker instead of the center for some reason. But at least there's no noise :)

I had some extra noise coming when I first connected my computer to my surround system after upgrade, went through the speaker setup again, and the noise went away. Though right now, when playing videos on HBO Nordic, the 5.1 sound sends dialog to the rear left speaker instead of the center for some reason. But at least there's no noise :)

Hmm, I'll give that a shot, thanks!

I'm debating whether or not I should recommend to my mom that she upgrade to Windows 10. She's a big solitaire fan, and it looks like that's been replaced by a new version with ads that you have to pay a monthly subscription to remove? Is there a way to get the old version back? Windows 10 looks great, but it seems crazy that Microsoft would put ads in what I presume is one of the more popular Windows 7 programs for the slightly older crowd. How much can they be making off those ads? It can't possibly be enough to justify alienating potential customers from Windows 10. This is a multibillion dollar company, and solitaire is such an iconic Windows game... I just don't understand who thought that nickel and diming customers in this way was a good idea./end rant

Tornhelm

Neo Member
I'm debating whether or not I should recommend to my mom that she upgrade to Windows 10. She's a big solitaire fan, and it looks like that's been replaced by a new version with ads that you have to pay a monthly subscription to remove? Is there a way to get the old version back? Windows 10 looks great, but it seems crazy that Microsoft would put ads in what I presume is one of the more popular Windows 7 programs for the slightly older crowd. How much can they be making off those ads? It can't possibly be enough to justify alienating potential customers from Windows 10. This is a multibillion dollar company, and solitaire is such an iconic Windows game... I just don't understand who thought that nickel and diming customers in this way was a good idea./end rant

Not sure how extensive the ads are - there weren't any on the main screen of the app when I opened it this morning and I played a game of Tripeaks and didn't get an ad at the end of the game.

Laptop had been acting sluggish even since before upgrading to W10, figured it was about due for a clean reinstall. Worked pretty much how it should have, except that now my Windows is no longer activated and trying to activate results in it telling me my product key (which I don't have, as I used the upgrade tool) is invalid.

Their servers still getting swamped, or am I boned?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Interesting.

After installing W10, I forcibly removed Groove Music and Movies & TV. I don't want either of them, and I don't like not being able to uninstall built-in programs. So I used PowerShell to uninstall them. A few days and a few reboots later, they're back. Microsoft noticed that they were missing and installed them for me. How generous.

Posting just to say that Windows 10 is fucking amazing and destroys 8.1. Futuristic, sleek and cool; it's everything I could possibly want out of an OS. If you're on the fence about upgrading try it anyway. It's amazing. Superior and more evolved than 7/8 in almost every way and possibly the best OS they've ever made. Lightning fast too. My laptop's becoming quite ancient now and the OS responds near instantly. Faster than 8.1. 10 has just impressed the hell out of me. Love it so far.

While I'm here I have a (potentially quite stupid) question to ask. You know the search box on the bottom left? When I upgraded it was a standard Windows search box that searched my hard drive and the Internet and since trying out Cortana a Cortana "Ask me anything" search box has now appeared and replaced it. Any way I can revert it back?

W10 installation on my new laptop was almost completely smooth. Only took an hour or so.

It's snappy and has some neat features, but to be honest I prefer Windows 8.1 for a lot of things. For one, I don't like the new settings panels at all. Maybe I just don't know where things are yet, but it looks rather basic. It also seems like a lot of the touch-centric features were lost. It's great for using a mouse, but I feel a bit lost when navigating by touch.

One thinrer, as opposed to dragg that's really bugging me is having to go to the view tab to change the size of files in Exploring down from a menu like Windows 7.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
My Asus netbook (X205TA) is so smooth after doing a clean install. Much better experience than 8.1 so far. Loving it.

Is Windows Defender sufficient enough for an anti-virus? I was using Avast before I upgraded; any other recommendations?

I've been using Microsoft Security Essentials, formerly Windows Defender, and now starting with Win8.1 once again Windows Defender, for years now. I've never had any problems with it, it's lightweight and doesn't bog things down and it has caught viruses for me. I guess it works.

McBryBry

Does anyone know of any sort of app or program that lets me edit the tiles in the start menu? If you look at my start menu, all my programs are the "same". I would like to put custom images like I did with Steam Pin for the Steam Games.

ZL8nqLi.png

lenovox1

While I'm here I have a (potentially quite stupid) question to ask. You know the search box on the bottom left? When I upgraded it was a standard Windows search box that searched my hard drive and the Internet and since trying out Cortana a Cortana "Ask me anything" search box has now appeared and replaced it. Any way I can revert it back?

Put "Cortana & Search Settings" in that field and turn 'er off. It will be the first entry in that settings menu.

Interesting.

After installing W10, I forcibly removed Groove Music and Movies & TV. I don't want either of them, and I don't like not being able to uninstall built-in programs. So I used PowerShell to uninstall them. A few days and a few reboots later, they're back. Microsoft noticed that they were missing and installed them for me. How generous.

That's like W10 resetting my default browser selection every time I reboot. Woo!

Poona

It's snappy and has some neat features, but to be honest I prefer Windows 8.1 for a lot of things. For one, I don't like the new settings panels at all. Maybe I just don't know where things are yet, but it looks rather basic.

The previous control panel is still there. Just rick click the start button and select control panel or you can just search for it in the search box.

Noaloha

Is there any way to remove the password when I start the system?

This was really pissing me off. Not necessarily that it's there, or that it even defaults to it, but more how contrived and non-surface level the removal of it is. Anyway, here's how I got rid of it:

WindowsKey+R
Type 'netplwiz' (no apostrophes), Enter
Look for something like "users must enter password', uncheck
Restart your PC (I actually had to restart twice I think, didn't work on the first shutdown)

KHlover

Banned
That's like W10 resetting my default browser selection every time I reboot. Woo!

Did you actually set your default browser in the Windows 10 settings? You need to do that. If you set your browser as default via browser popup it won't work. Just go to the location the Windows popup tells you when you attempt to change standard browsers and it *should* work.

Xyber

This was really pissing me off. Not necessarily that it's there, or that it even defaults to it, but more how contrived and non-surface level the removal of it is. Anyway, here's how I got rid of it:

WindowsKey+R
Type 'netplwiz' (no apostrophes), Enter
Look for something like "users must enter password', uncheck
Restart your PC (I actually had to restart twice I think, didn't work on the first shutdown)

I tried this the other day and the only thing that happened was that I got 2 accounts to pick from at the login screen, my MS account and now a local one with the same name. So I turned it back on and it returned to only showing the MS account. I guess I can deal with entering my pin..

Did you actually set your default browser in the Windows 10 settings? You need to do that. If you set your browser as default via browser popup it won't work. Just go to the location the Windows popup tells you when you attempt to change standard browsers and it *should* work.

Yes. Over and over and over again.

I think I need to reset my PC. The hits just keeps on piling up:
- Cortana is now not working
- Explorer just keep on crashing after minutes of inactivity
- I don't know why but it keeps on reverting to tablet mode when I'm using a freaking laptop (Lenovo Z50-70)
- I keep on selecting Foobar2000 as the default music player but it reverting back to Groove Music after a while.
- Steam is crashing so I can't even do my Civ5 fix.

I've already toggled the settings for the file associations, tablet mode but they just keep on changing. I have to email and request authorizations for some programs before I nuke this win 10 install, thanks MS!

Works great for me, tried out the xbox streaming last night and it worked ok. Went laggy a couple of times.
Ive only got one issue in that i cant customise my backlit keyboard anymore. The HP app loads and lets me change the colour of the lights, but it has no effect. Im sure it will be fixed soon.

Sinfamy

Fucking Microsoft blew it again.
Don't know why I was so hopeful.
Going back to 7 and staying there until they eventually patch in the KBadware update.

Had potential, they could have released a simple, efficient and optimized OS, but no.

I'd have to spend over two hours tinkering with the OS to get it to behave the way I want.

is there a good unzip program? there doesn't appear to be a default one and the ones i've tried from the store have been crap.

don't understand why a basic utility has to have a paid service.

is there a good unzip program? there doesn't appear to be a default one and the ones i've tried from the store have been crap.

don't understand why a basic utility has to have a paid service.

zip support is built into the os. For other archive types, use 7-zip. Don't go to the store for utilities. I've yet to see things that aren't crapware, mobile ports or both.

zip support is built into the os. For other archive types, use 7-zip. Don't go to the store for utilities. I've yet to see things that aren't crapware, mobile ports or both.

Yup the store didn't look too promising.

How do I extract .RAR files? The icon is blank and i'm not seeing a program to open it with.

7-Zip should be able to extract them just install it and then right click on the file and then it should have an option for 7-zip.

Ah, this worked. It looks like Windows hasn't really changed after all.

Thanks guys

tchocky

Yup the store didn't look too promising.

How do I extract .RAR files? The icon is blank and i'm not seeing a program to open it with.

7-Zip should be able to extract them just install it and then right click on the file and then it should have an option for 7-zip.

Touchscreen makes everything awesome. It also lets me resize files in a folder without using the menu.

I'm starting to get the hang of these apps.

norinrad

Interesting.

Ahahaha i was going to remove them until i read this thread. Guess i will have to live with it for a while.

Aesthet1c

Can someone tell me the best way to perform a clean install after upgrading?

I got a tool to find my Windows 10 key, and downloaded the ISO. Should I just perform a clean install that way? I don't want to format the drive and find out the key doesn't work or anything, and I noticed there is reset option in the Windows 10 settings, so I don't know if that would be better.

Noaloha

I got a tool to find my Windows 10 key, and downloaded the ISO. Should I just perform a clean install that way? I don't want to format the drive and find out the key doesn't work or anything, and I noticed there is reset option in the Windows 10 settings, so I don't know if that would be better.
Speaking purely as to what worked for me, after my successful upgrade, then making certain that my W10 was logged into my MS account and formatting the secondary HDD, I just made the USB tool and booted to it over the top of my upgrade as a clean installation. Worked fine. Never did a thing to note down or verify activation / product codes or whatever. Dunno if you should take my one stressfree experience as an overall guidance though.

Megauap

Is there anyway to disable the popup notification and volume bar when you hit the mute key in your keyboard?
It's pretty annoying if you want to click something that's under it :S

I'm talking about this popup:
untitledyfspe.png

ScOULaris

Has anyone found a theme/visual style yet that lets you color title bars without having that ugly grey background behind the text of inactive windows?

How easy is it to upgrade from either Windows 7 or 8 ? I've heard that you can't format hard drives with Windows 8 because of some digital lock thing.

How easy is it to upgrade from either Windows 7 or 8 ? I've heard that you can't format hard drives with Windows 8 because of some digital lock thing.

Upgrading is in most cases as easy as running an install program. You can't do a format and clean install the first time without jumping through some hoops, but unless you have a majorly messy systems there really shouldn't be a need to. After a successful upgrade you can do as many clean installs as you like since the license is then tied to your hardware.

Upgrading is in most cases as easy as running an install program. You can't do a format and clean install the first time without jumping through some hoops, but unless you have a majorly messy systems there really shouldn't be a need to. After a successful upgrade you can do as many clean installs as you like since the license is then tied to your hardware.

I see. Thank you.

I might as well ask. I'm browsing for a laptop as my mother needs a new one. The only thing she does with it other than browsing the web is her accounting. I was thinking of getting her this: http://caen-store.acer.com/aspire-e5-551g-t430-notebook

How do Acer laptops fare with Windows 10? Do any of you have first-hand experience?

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Speaking purely as to what worked for me, after my successful upgrade, then making certain that my W10 was logged into my MS account and formatting the secondary HDD, I just made the USB tool and booted to it over the top of my upgrade as a clean installation. Worked fine. Never did a thing to note down or verify activation / product codes or whatever. Dunno if you should take my one stressfree experience as an overall guidance though.

Just use the built-in reset feature, it does this for you. It formats your system partition (and others if you want it to) and reinstalls Windows. It won't ask for a key or anything, the license is tied to your hardware after you first upgrade. No need to mess around with boot media unless you really want to for whatever reason.

The first Service Release for Windows 10 is out.

"This update includes non–security-related changes to enhance the functionality of Windows 10 through new features and improvements.

Windows 10 updates are cumulative. Therefore, this package contains all previously-released fixes (see KB 3074683). If you have installed previous updates, only the new fixes that are contained in this package will be downloaded and installed to your computer."

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3081424

No list of fixes or anything.

I think I need to reset my PC. The hits just keeps on piling up:
- Cortana is now not working
- Explorer just keep on crashing after minutes of inactivity
- I don't know why but it keeps on reverting to tablet mode when I'm using a freaking laptop (Lenovo Z50-70)
- I keep on selecting Foobar2000 as the default music player but it reverting back to Groove Music after a while.
- Steam is crashing so I can't even do my Civ5 fix.

I've already toggled the settings for the file associations, tablet mode but they just keep on changing. I have to email and request authorizations for some programs before I nuke this win 10 install, thanks MS!
Yup, 10 is bug central for me. Have it on 4 machines and 3 of them are all experiencing various issues. Cortana has also just stopped working on my Surface 3. It was working earlier today but is now not supported in my region -- the UK, where it is supported.

Sigh. I like it for the most part but there's so many little things that just make it a pain. I've reset my XPS and Surface around 3 times each now and the issues just keep coming back. Just going to have to live with it at this point.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
You can resize the tiles, that's not what I'm after. I want to resize the start menu so it's closer to the tiles, here, I made a GIF. It won't go any smaller for some reason, which leaves loads of ugly dead space.

http://zippy.gfycat.com/NarrowTidyArrowcrab.gif

You can't shrink the start menu, yeah. Disappointing. Double so with the "all apps"/start->programs not drilling down. It won't find some programs like MS Paint in the start menu which is just downright weird.

samn

I've also had Explorer crashing, and when I mess around with the multiple desktop feature I can 'confuse' it and get everything mixed up if I go too fast.

Top Bottom